A Place 2 Show Off Your Love Nest

p2me1a

Hi Pisduck,

wah $8999. but when I saw the specs of OptomaH77 I lao nuah like anything...

so you dun like the imm shop just because of the pricing? and the TX100 can be bought $3k cash and carry!? hiaz... guess I AM paying for the installation services then...

we thought it was quite alright since it came with installation of the unit etc, coz, unlike Stephen (whom I think prob buys online and installs them on his own???) me not so good at that... hahaha yeah by the way, am a female, but then me more interested in all these specs than my FH - whom anyway has no time to surf net coz he's a teacher in a school with a bloody crazy principal. hahahaha...

other than Artcoustic Gallery @ Novena Sq, is there any other good projector/home theatre shops around??? frankly speaking the imm store was the first one we came across *guilty* guess we succumbed too early... hiaz...

p2me1a

p2me1a

Hi Ah Ger,

yeah I spoke to june. think she very glib tongue hor? hahaha. yeah but coz I thought I already did quite a lot of 'homework' on the projector before we commited... so I thought should be okay... coz the reviews of the TX100 was like quite good and stuff... and then when we went there the time we committed, she was offering a free crystal X-box. so my other half lao nuah like anything lah. hahahaa... but anywayz, we'd actually more or less made up our minds to get it from her, coz the service seemed quite good and my colleague is actually one of her customer and ex-landlord. and somemore seemed quite fuss-free for installation etc...

initially the projector that drew us into the shop was the toshiba ET1. we thought the picture was quite good (they were demo-ing it on the scren) and it was only $2399 - hehehe at that time we were still thinking along the lines of:"if get projector must get a good one - and good ones coz $8000 - $10,000." we almost gave up our dream already. THEN we saw the store and the toshiba ET1. we spoke awhile and when we asked her for a slightly higher end a bit one, she showed us the TX100. we were pretty impressed. (hehehehe guess we've never seen the OptomaH77) and hahhaa that was more than a month ago... anywayz, shan't bore u guys with my 'journey'. but then I guess now I'm making preparations for my next upgrade in projectors hahaha...

p2me1a

p2me1a

Pisduck, Stephen, Ah Ger,

did you guys get a sound system to go along with the projector??? which sound system did you all get? June from the imm shop is advocating the Atlantic Technology brand of speakers. what do u guys think about it? my fiance is more into sound systems than me - he's considering between Atlantic Technology and Bose. what do u all think? is there any other brands of sound system that is quite good and value for money. say not more than $4000 - $5000??? what systems did u guys get?

So Stephen,
How's your selection process coming along? I've been busy analysing your choices too hahaha...

ps tan

ps. suddenly realised u all calling me ps tan and not p2me1a hahahhahaa...

mcmxiivii

Thanks for the advice Maraquan Draik. you mean the glass partition in formt of the door? Well, my other half prefer some kind of privacy. it will be either glass or louver...

Actually, wasting space is the last problem we have...the house is kind of big...so maybe we are indirectly trying to waste a bit of space here and there... =P

p2me1a

hey vicky,

hahaha I suppose it really depends on what u want... my fiance and I are forever trying to think of ways to make our place seem BIIIIG even though at 132sm, already considered quite big. hahaha... personally I quite like the one that Maraquan Draik proposed. except perhaps u can add in your divider thingy if u dun want neighbours to look in your house.. hahaha...

at first when I saw your three floor plans (they looked quite complicated) and I couldn't figure them out that I thoguth they were a three storey terrace house/apt hahahaa... talk about malu... hahaha... ( I also thought the landing was part of the house) hahaha I was thinking ""wah seh, this thread is called Show Off Your Love Nest and and not show off your three storey home hahahah" :p *pai*sehz*

ps tan

gaolow

Hi p2me1a,
I didnt get my projector from internet. I brought it from another shop in IMM but already closed. As for the installation, it was installed by the KEC guys as he also help me to setup my sound system. So I pay the shop about $500 including cables.
I'm using the Def Tech's Cinema PRO 60 with pro 80 sub.
If you looking for good sound system, maybe you can go down to aldephi. There is one shop in aldephi, KEC, they can offer good advise on sound system. My suggestion, dont get the Bose. it just a brand name. With $4k to $5k, you can get good system. Another thing is that it best to get two different systems for your home theater and music.
still awaiting for wife's said ok. But most likely will be next year to upgrade. My main plan still sound proof my room.

p2me1a

hi stephen,

hahaha sorry sorry again, yes u had mentioned earlier that u bought it from a shop that had already closed down...

hmmm thanks for the advice, will go down to adelphi to scout around... seems quite there's quite a number of shops there worth looking at...

yeah we're considering getting a separate system for music in the bedroom...

thanks!

p2me1a

milo66

hi does anyone know where to get the metal round piece of thing that is mounted on the solid surface kitchen top serve as rubbish opening? you know those in starbuck kind?

pisduck

Actually the service of the shop in IMM is quite good. When I say they bad is that their price is on the expensive side. But still you may be willing to pay a bit more for the service. It is just a matter of preference.

I haven't heard bose speakers because they have SUCH BAD reputation on all the internet websites that I don't even bother. 4-5k can get you quite a good system already. My budget for speakers is around 2k. Looking at the KEF2005.2 but found the quote quite expensive. Did not like the Deftech cinema pro 60. personal preference.

sound is very subjective one so must audition yourself. all you can get here is some recommedations for speakers with good value for money (ie not bose)

Energy encore is quite good too. looks great. I am still looking for speakers too

mcmxiivii

Hmm...what Maraquan Draik proposed will make the house look really spacious...great use of space!

Well, sometime have to give and take...have asked the contractor to quote based on 1st design (my heart say design 3...)

littlegirl

ok, lemme reply nw.

Pls let me know if I happen to miss anything k?

Price wise - well, I dun find them very exp, cos they supply all the wiring & installation, & bcos they also throw in some free gifts for us, so we felt tat it's quite a gd catch.

As for the Sound system, we din get the Atlantic technology, we took Garrard, also took frm the same plc. For an HDB flat, I would say strong enough. Garrard has 2 sets, 1 is the smaller speaker, ther other is a bigger one. We took the latter.

We bought a 6.1 system, meaning 2 front sides, 1 centre, 2 rear & 1 sub-woofer. Cheap cheap only, think we paid $1.8k??? or something like tat.

Again, new technology cmes out very quickly, so nt long after we bought, 7.1 came out. Aiyah, these things, nv-ending story one.

las time I also tot projectors r very exp, bt after I stepped into that shop, it changed my assumption. Tats y nw I will also tell my frens, lower range also has gd pdts, doesn't mean must necessary buy high end then can get gd results.

bt again, of cos lah higher end pdts def got something superior, tats y their price is higher mah.

As for sourcing of al these, hb & I actually went ard The Adelphi, Chinatwn Electronics shop, IMM near BEST also got a shop. Bt eventually we stl w/ the one @ Ground Flr, cos maybe 1) fate lah, 2) we learnt alot frm them, 3) reasonable price - everything bao ka liao.

We dun deny there may b elsewhere selling cheaper, bt then again, c their wirings, & etc. Sometimes may hv diff one. I dun mean mine's the best, bt just take caution for those who are on the lookout, dun purchase anything hurriedly, these things can wait cos shops are plentiful bt onceu sign on the purchase order, u wanna backout also 2 late le.

idono

Actually, for movie / theater setup, a $2k 5.1 speaker set is more than sufficient IMO. If ur living room can support it, get floor standers.

Music listening is a totally different thing though. ha ha
happy.gif

Anyway, I'm using a Sanyo Z1 with waferdale speakers (forgot model). but the speakers with a yamma 660 cost me about $2k. Big living room mah, so got a more powerful amp.

and for music in bedroom, i'm using a Denon M31. No $$$ for a separate system .. haha
happy.gif

idono

Oopsie,

2 front 2 rear 1 center 1 sub is call a 5.1
2 front 3 rear 1 center 1 sub is call a 6.1
2 front 2 sides 2 rear 1 center 1 sub is call a 7.1

happy.gif
heh

p2me1a

hahaha thanks everyone for the comments... will certainly take note and study the market more for the sound systems. showed my FH last night and asked him "any of these names sound familiar to you?" and he said "erm... nope!" hahaha... but seems like the consensus is that we can get a decent enough sound system for $2k+... hey how come u guys still looking for speakers??? trying to beef up your system? :p

yeah ah ger, think we quite in the same situation as u for the same reasons why we went with the imm place... anywayz, we have the same sentiments as you as well - all these technology run like mad, we'd almost never be able to catch up...

hey stephen, I realised why I got confused and called u 'stanley'. think both u and stanley were the only ones who answer my atlantic technology thread, hahaha... and I was conversing with stanley via email, so think went a bit garbra with all the S names...
happy.gif

gaolow

Hi p2me1a,
When come to upgrade, nothing can beat that bug. Once you test, hear or see something new, your upgrade bugs will be in your heart..trying all way out to make you debug it.
Stanley is my colleague. His house has very good system. I'm targetting some of his speakers...

pisduck

I haven't even got the keys to my house yet. I only got the projector only. Still looking for reciever, speakers, and screen.

Screen and receiver decided already. Haven't decide on speakers yet.

thinking about
1) kef 2005:2
2) energy encore
3) omnisat micro

any good shops or lobangs for the above speakers?

p2me1a

hi Stephen!

hahaha stanley's your colleague??? coool!!! hahhaha he just emailed me some of his sound system pix as well. my FH took a look at it and said "those are the expensive kind" hahaha was about to email him to ask him how much they cost him. oh and he offered to let us come see his place as well... which we might - when we get to use the car (my dad's)one of these weekends...

hahaha pisduck! we're almost in the same situation! we also got our projector but haven't get speakers as well. no receiver yet either. screen came as a package with our preojector. BUT we got our keys already a few weeks ago.
happy.gif
where's your place?
happy.gif

p2me1a

afcai

Hi perrin,

your place is quite nice. what type of flooring you have use?

is it a must to apply for permit?

kean_meng

Hi afcai,

I use laminated flooring for the platform.
As the platform is along the fire escape route which you can see from the 1st pic, you have to apply for a permit. if its just laminated floor, permit is not needed.

My reno firm did not even know and insisted it is not necessary until I called HDB myself to verify.

p2me1a

Hi perrin,

you've got a really interesting place. anymore pix to show???
happy.gif

how high is your platform? it seems pretty low from the picture. mine would be in the living room and the MBR and u dun have to walk through these areas to get to the main door (which I assume in this case is the 'fire escape route') so... guess there is no need to apply for permit right?

what ceiling fans are using? and how much do they cost? they look nice and simple
happy.gif

you have lotsa glass... was it expensive???

happy.gif

p2me1a

hey stephen,

think I saw in your house pix one of which is the AV HT room, and there was a day-bed directly under the projector... so you guys sit on that to watch movies? issit uncomfortable - I mean with the hard back and all...

p2me1a

gaolow

Hi p2me1a,

at first feel abit uncomfortable..but soon feel ok liao. also i can lay down to watch movies.
Initial tot of getting the sofa set. But can not find one tat suit our theme and size of the room.

pisduck

hi ps tan,
our place is opposite the Yio Chu Kang MRT. Keeping our fingers crossed that we can get our keys by mid-Aug. dun know if we should ship the screen yet cos worry that if house not ready by them, might have no place to store since it is so bulky. :p

p2me1a

hi pisduck,
yeah can understand where you're coming from. we also just bought an XZQT dining table from their warehouse sale... also hoping the house can be done by a certain time... if not cham liaoz...

hi stephen,
hehehe okayz that's good. we putting our projector in the living room, where we intend to platform over. so... we were initially thinking of just using cushions and not buying sofa - then when we went to my cousin's place - had a nice sofa - sit and watch tv - my fiance say - wah very nice hor? hahaha so now we tempted to get sofa... but then think will install the platform, we sit there and FEEEL... then see howz... hehee..

p2me1a...

kean_meng

Hi ps,

platform is 2 inch or 5cm. i think normal ones will be 4 inch. its a 'walkway' to divide the different flooring of my house.

will try to take some pics. reno 30k.

p2me1a

ahhhh yeah I was thinking the norm is 10cm (approx 4 inches as u pointed out)... thanks thanks... hey perrin your cooker hob looks quite different... coool...

tulip94

Hi Perrin and Ivy

Nice pictures..Care to share the ID and how much did u spend on reno alone?
happy.gif

Hi Ivy, I love your bathroom!

ivymicole

Hi Tulip and Rom,
Initially was Image but later due to the designer that works for us left the company, we get her to do free lance for us and thus is not under branded reno company. Thus the reno cost in total about 30K including aircon, water feature. I think her price is reasonable but just that her work takes a long time to complete. Luckily I am not in a hurry or else big trouble men! So I would only recommend her if you all are not in a hurry to move in. If not, it may leads to arguments when your expectation is not met. Overall, I am quite satisfied with the work after handover done. I have yet to move in my furniture thus what you see are quite bare. Only move in the Sofa and washer and dryer.
Maybe when my things are all put in, then I take some more pics to show you.

afcai

Yup, what Ivy Hong said is right, there will be agruments if expectation is not met. what if some designer does not consult the owner first b4 they did up the flat meaning that the perceptive drawing and the tasks are not the same. will the owner get angry when their things turn up are not what they expected. that's what I have been encountered.

Hi ivy Hong,

yr house looks very nice. may l ask you what is the wall which is in front of the orange wall for ?(refer to the third pic you have posted)

Hi Perrin,
wow, yr house is very classy. u must be spending quite a lot in the design part is it?

kean_meng

Hi all,

like what Ivy mentioned, it is very important about the expectation thingy. i wasn't happy with my coordinator at all.

normally the designers will have their own lobang. i.e. wet work, carpenters, etc. it will be cheaper and more flexible I feel.

Hi afai, my place could have cost alot cheaper. i shifted my room to the other side of the house, thats 5K plus. *heart pain*

I believe you can do up your place with less than 25K for something similar. ultimately, the most important person is the designer/coordinator.

yup, really spent quite alot in designing.

milo66

hi perrin,

with regards to your above sentence:

"normally the designers will have their own lobang. i.e. wet work, carpenters, etc. it will be cheaper and more flexible I feel."

i agree too!! but sadly my ID has got none of this lobang cause they are a rather new company. Door and every other things must source out myself....**sigh** turn out to be rather ex!

milo66

AK: went to source out another curtain company over the weekend. quote 1200 for the whole hse (except for 1 bedroom). Brand of the roller blind is nikki. seems like not bad. The company is golden leaf.perhaps can source out.

scient

Hi Chomec
Can't view your pics from the link you have sent.

Hi afcai
I think that is her bed-head. But her bed is not there yet.

Hi Ivy
Nice place. Would like to ask, how many lights do you have for your whole place? It seems quite a lot.

Hi Perrin
What kind of lightings do you use for your corridor walkway? Its looks quite different or is it the camera?

a_k

milo, i also juz settle on my curtain during the weekend, got it at $1100 for my whole house (5 room). share with u:
1) full length window - day & nite (with curve track)
2) 4 roman blinds
3) the rest of the rooms of bigger windows all using day & nite curtains. 1 room using curve track.

if u interested, let me know.