32" LCD - Philip/Toshiba/JVC/Sharp

balicraze

rabbitwsk2,

HDMI cables needs to buy seperately and expensive which is true, but the dvd player u connecting must be HDMI-abled.
So normally u dun need to purchase the cables at all bcos all new hdmi-abled players comes with the cable. In market there's few brands that I knew of is Pioneer, Samsung, Toshiba and Philips have launched thier HDMI players, very soon other brands will follow suit. Cheapest now is samsung model 850 selling at $299/- only.

tanc39

Hihi,

1. Did quite a bit of research recently and was rather convince to get the sharp 37" LCD until linda at sweeton recommended Hitachi latest 37" LCD. Anyone has got comments about the new Hitachi LCD?

skyflyer

Hi All,

I wonder if we really need a HDMI on LCD.
In order to have HD, we need to get:
1. a LCD with HDMI (may need 2 actually)
2. a DVD player with HDMI
3. Wait for media that is produced in HD - have to pay more obviously
4. If cableTV offer HD, then we need a HDMI setup box (most likely they will ask you to pay - and i guess not all shows are HD yet)
5. As Mediacorp will trial HD next year, how are they going to deliver HD to us ? Another setup box or via HD tuner?

So why do we need to get LCD/ DVD with HDMI as broadcast & HD media are not really ready for public yet. As spore is small, the push for them is usually wait and see - they also need to make money out of this rite. It may even be 2-3 years before it becomes publicly available and by then may be got other standards coming in.

Also any visible big difference between using RGB and HDMI ? - i think not so visible

If you compare plasma VGA screen and XGA...like no difference leh...

waltz

Chin wah,

i believed sharp is still a passive panel.
Hitachi latest 32"/37" LCD(high range) is a active panel(hard panel screen)
Active panel will give much better picture quality n response time.
Current in the market, i think only LG, Hitachi and Philips are using active panel (certain model).
And do take note of IPS (Hitachi technology) might become the main stream for future LCD.
Certain LG model already using Hitachi IPS. And if you google "In Plane switching - IPS", you should be able to find Philips/LG JV on Super-IPS. Think hitachi itself is working on AS-IPS (Advanced Super IPS)

waltz

Chin wah,

i believed sharp is still a passive panel.
Hitachi latest 32"/37" LCD(high range) is a active panel(hard panel screen)
Active panel will give much better picture quality n response time.
Current in the market, i think only LG, Hitachi and Philips are using active panel (certain model).
And do take note of IPS (Hitachi technology) might become the main stream for future LCD.
Certain LG model already using Hitachi IPS. And if you google "In Plane switching - IPS", you should be able to find Philips/LG JV on Super-IPS. Think hitachi itself is working on AS-IPS (Advanced Super IPS)

waltz

Component should meet the current DVD need.
HDMI connections, let wait for the battle of the next generation DVD format to settle, then you even consider to get a HDMI DVD player, or maybe by that time, a Blu-Ray or HD DVD player with HDMI connectivity.

skyflyer

Hi,

Just want to check your preference for these 4 models of LCD
1. Philips 32" 42PF9966
2. Hitachi 32" with IPS
3. Toshiba 32" 32WL58
4. Panasonic 32" 500

tanc39

Thanks Waltz... Anyway you have just given me more headache liao.... Fortunately Hitachi don't have models with speakers at the side.

waltz

hi

personally, either philips 32" 9966 or Hitachi IPS.

Philips currently priced at $3499 (bargain, can go as low as $3199 for one time cash payment)

Hitachi had 2 model, one priced at $2599(retail at $2999?, not sure the price for this 380 model now)
The other is the high range Hitachi 8800 model priced at $3800++

Value for $$ and technology, then go for the Hitachi 380 model. If philips is eventually to adopt the IPS in their LG/Philips JV, why opt for a higher price for a phasing out model?

tanc39

Hey waltz just wanna ask your opinion. I actually scout around and thought sharp was the best choice but here in this thread seem like it's not considered at all? Why? Not IPS?

waltz

sharp might be the market share leader, and the first to make LCD, but personally, i feel in terms of technology wise, they r not. Hitachi, Philips, or many others can make better LCD.

There is a joint venture of Hitachi,Matsushita and Toshiba, called IPS Alpha Technology, Ltd.

IPS Alpha will manufacture LCD panels using Hitachi Displays' world-leading IPS mode system technology.

So now, we already have clue that these companies
1. Matsushita (Pansonic)
2. LG
3. Philips
4. Toshiba
adopting IPS, so is IPS becoming the mainstream in the future possible?

stevy

Hi all,

What do you all think about the Sumsung LCD? Think its the only one with a respond time with 8ms around

skyflyer

Hi Steve,
Personally, i felt that samsung LCD's colours not that vibrant as the rest. Quite fair in colouring. You can go to millenia walk Harvey norman outlet. There they have an area where all different brands will display from the same input source. Here you will see the difference between almost all the popular brands. But there again, you have the weigh whether you want to pay more (it can be a few hundreds to thousand) for a slightly better display. Look for philips but this is i think close to a thousand dollars more expensive than samsung.

jnp

Hi Steve,

Have bought the Samsung 32inch LCD....my verdict..great for viewing DVD but when it comes to normal TV, not that fantastic...For LCD, because of it's panorama size which means the picture will be stretch horizontally, picture abit out of proportion eg, people looks short n fat. That is the only drawback I have for LCD.

jnp

Hi Steve,

Have bought the Samsung 32inch LCD....my verdict..great for viewing DVD but when it comes to normal TV, not that fantastic...For LCD, because of it's panorama size which means the picture will be stretch horizontally, picture abit out of proportion eg, people looks short n fat. That is the only drawback I have for LCD.

waltz

u can switch ur LCD view to 4:3 if samsung have such feature. (Should be able to switch between panorama, Full or 4:3)

Anyway, that the drawback of LCD. It also depends on the source of the TV program.

stevy

Thanks Jnp and skyflyer for y our reply.

I have search aound and I found that while displaying the same image, hitachi and samsumg stretched the image while JVC and sharp didn't. Also, JVC and Sharp how a better contrast. The details in dark corners can be seen while samsung and hitachi just display black colour. I am not sure if it can be improve by adjust the contrast setting.

Did anyone buy the new model from sharp. I think its the AF3 series which is built for watching analogue TV. HEard that is tuner are great. Comparing it againt the G1/G2 series, it shows better image quality when playing DVD also.

jnp

Hi Waltz,

Yalor, now my TV is switch to 4:3...so got two black horizontal strip on the left & right side...hai...

Hi Steve,

U mean the new Sharp allows full screen viewing for both 4:3 & 6:9 size? That's cool.

lightz

Just something to share...

I bought a sharp 32" LCD G series.
when switched to panorama view, the image stretches at the side (while the center portion maintain its porpotion)

Hi Steve,
The tuner for AF3 series looks great because that panel is PAL Optmized and sg is using PAL broadcast. As for DVD quialty, G series should be better as it has a higher resolution.

stevy

Hi JnP,

Not sure about the screen viewing option. But its cater for viewing broadcast tv shows.

Hi lightz,

Did the G series performe well wehn view tv shows?

From the reviews, they state that dvd is PAL format too. So view NORMAL dvds should not be a problem. In fact, after comparing the two models, I find that AF3 display a better image quality.

However, I think G series will outperform if its taking in HDMI input.

stevy

Hi,

Just found out the the video resolution on NTSC discs is 720 × 480 and on PAL discs is 720 × 576. Hence, I believe AF3 format should be able to handle DVD playback. Of course, when the Blue-rays and HD are introduced, AF3 series may not be able to perfrom as well.

skyflyer

32WL55E is cheap now but not much connectivity interfaces. I think this is older model replaced by 32WL58. i cant find 32WL55E in the local toshiba web site and maybe they are selling them cheap now.

jaci

Yes, they are selling it cheap, I bought mine at Courts @2299 plus gifts worth $400 on Christmas Day. BUT they can't deliver until end of the month, hopefully I can have it before CNY!!

lightz

Hi steve,

To me, i find that watching tv broadcast on G series looks quite alright. (maybe i haven't seen the better ones, e.g.AF3)

btw, there is no HDMI imput for G series. Only DVI. I read reviews that HDMI might not be better than component connection. It depends on the player on the TV.

waltz

try switching the LCD betw progressive/interlace to see if you can see the different.

HDMI/DVI is supposed to be technically superior to component, as components is superior to composite.

stevy

Hi lightz,

Thats right. unless u are playing ps3/xbox3 or buy the suitable dvd player, HDMI is actually useless. But, in future (maybe 3-4 years) TCS MIGHT start to broadcast HD TV. 2006 is just a testing phase.

baobei_loh

hi Waltz/Steve,
Since there is no HD broadcasting in S'pore as yet and it will probably take another few yrs to see it materialise, it makes more sense now to buy a ED plasma as it will show better pic quality than a HD plasma, for the latter needs more up-staging from the source.

I have actually decided to buy a ED plasma for my new hse and am still undecided to buy one with HDMI or not. Currently there are only 2 ED brand/models c/w HDMI, namely Philips 42PF7320 and Toshiba 42WP56E.
As HDMI connection between tv and dvd player (assuming both c/w HDMI) is more superior to other connection types, will it enhance the pic quality of a dvd? I know there is no HD dvd as yet but the question here is whether with HDMI will improve the pic quality of our current dvd formats?
I need your advice here and sorry for jumping the gun.

tanc39

Hmmm in my opinion if TCS is already testing then we might be looking at HD in just like 1 to 2 years time. You can't be changing your TV so soon right? I also thought that plasma actually emits quite a lot of heat and might actually feel hot because of this. If you include the wastage of electrical bills... I seriously still think LCD is a better choice. Just my 2 cents worth.

waltz

hi Baobei,

Do note that Toshiba have stated that their HD-DVD Player will ONLY output HD on the player's HDMI output. So if all the vendors are going to make that kind of announcements, a LCD/plamsa without will become useless in the near future ? Buy a new LCD/plamsa to enjoy HD ?

As you can see Toshiba will be trying to ensure that studios are confident in the security that they are offering with HD output only being available on the secure digital outputs (HDMI). So once again if you are thinking about buying a HD capable screen, do make sure it has HDMI just in case Toshiba group win the next generation DVD format war.

waltz

Baobei,

not sure HDMI helps in improving the quality of the normal DVD image, or the HDMI video signal support on the player and LCD play the critical role here.
For example, if the player can have 720p, but if the LCD does not, what will be the impact? What about if the DVD is interlaced based ? Never play with a HDMI player yet, so can't advise

waltz

a search reveals that HDMI preserves the true digital signal from the DVD. While components is still involving some conversion. Hence, technically, HDMI should give best quality in comparison to the rest.

a progressive scan YUV(on LCD and player settings) should give a much higher quality to normal components video.

skyflyer

i heard from mega discount, either next week or the following, there will be a Sharp roadshow...watch out for it if you are considering Sharp. Maybe new models are coming soon since they are clearing the old stock

baobei_loh

Chin Wah,
Even with the trial this year, I m abit sceptical abt having HD broadcasting in S'pore in 1-2yrs time considering the huge investment needed, and also subscribers need to rent/pay for the setup box. Having to pay extra ~2K for a HD plasma and not able to enjoy it now, i feel it may not be worthwhile for the extra cost. There is always a neverending debate on whether lcd or plasma is better but at least for me, i feel plasma has a more "real" pic quality. LCD is also more expensive to own, esp. when it crosses the 37" mark, though the price is coming down.

Waltz,
Thanks for the comments. Until now, i still can't decide to buy a ED plasma and dvd player with HDMI or not?? Anyone care to advise. Thanks.

baobei_loh

Chin Wah,
Even with the trial this year, I m abit sceptical abt having HD broadcasting in S'pore in 1-2yrs time considering the huge investment needed, and also subscribers need to rent/pay for the setup box. Having to pay extra ~2K for a HD plasma and not able to enjoy it now, i feel it may not be worthwhile for the extra cost. There is always a neverending debate on whether lcd or plasma is better but at least for me, i feel plasma has a more "real" pic quality. LCD is also more expensive to own, esp. when it crosses the 37" mark, though the price is coming down.

Waltz,
Thanks for the comments. Until now, i still can't decide to buy a ED plasma and dvd player with HDMI or not?? Anyone care to advise. Thanks.

skyflyer

wonder if sharp PAL series LCD good or not since the resolution is much lower than the rest. Is it good for watching TV channels, anyone tried? And it cannot be used as a PC monitor, rite?

stevy

Hi Baobei,

I cannot say if HDMI is better or not. Haven own any yet. Maybe you can compare by getting the sales to show you the image using both HDMI and component input. If you cannot tell the difference, then probably you can get the ED plasma.

One point to note. According to a sales rep, those dvd recorders with HDMI output just transmit the signals without any conversions. Meaning even with HDMI connecitons, the image quality is the same as that of a component. Hence the DVD player you chose is also impt.

Hi skyflyer,

AF3 model cannot be used as PC monitor. The resolution is cater for watching TV shows.

Hi waltz,

If players are "HD"(higher resolution) and your plasma/LCD does not support it, there will be some signal conversion to suit the lower resolution display. You will not enjoy HD display thats all.

Also, I think for HD players, there will be multiply ouputs, such as components. No worries. It will be backward compatible

waltz

baobei,
I agreed plamsa does give u more "real" feeling.
One advantage i like about LCD is the anti glare of LCD panel. There are no reflections at all as compared to the plasma, and this is relaxing to my eyes.

U can also consider this: do u really need a big screen in front of ur living room? How big is the room. Having a too big screen if ur space is limited is just like sitting in the front row of the cinema. For me, for a distance of less than 3m, 32" is just nice.

baobei_loh

hi Lightz,
Thanks for the link and the article is sure informative, though at some point very technical and "deep". This kind of steering me towards buying a ED Plasma and dvd player w/o HDMI. I actually feel that quality sound is more perceivable than quality pic, and that is why there is aways more debate over lcd/plasma, component vs dvi/hdmi etc.

Steve,
Thanks for the comments. Though i kind of make up my mind, i will still request for the sales person to set up both for my comparison.

baobei_loh

Waltz,
I certainly agree with you that lcd is better to view with anti glare/no reflections. However, i noticed that when you are watching programmes from a plasma, you will only notice the reflections if you "wanna to". Under normal circumstances, ie when you are concentrating on watching, you will not find that it is of any concern.

My viewing dist is abt 3m and i actually prefer a 37" plasma. There is no 37" ED plasma with hdmi except 42" philips or toshiba models. Since i maybe getting it w/o hdmi, i will most likely consider the new Panasonic 37" veira model.

poohgy

Hi All,

I think Toshiba still have the better LCD. I just buy a 32WL58 and it is working perfectly.
I did a lot of research in the past and finally choose this model. Anyone share the same view???