DIAMONDS Lovers!!!

lynolyn

Hi Pheb,
Thanks for the infor. I havent actually look at the details of these diamonds yet so can't judge if they hv good cuts or not. Now that there are so many sales going on & there is even one shop that advertise GIA diamonds with good colour+ ex polish + vg symmetary that are so cheap. It makes me wonder if the quote from the 1st jewel shop is trying to chop me
sad.gif

Hi Sallen,
The shop is near Tanglin Mall I think. My FH is the one who went to enquire.Gotta get the namecard from him but he's out of town till nxt mth.

mtmtmt

Actually, colour grading is done with UNSET stone FACE-DOWN on WHITE paper by an expert... hence once you set the stone, and wear it against your skin, you really can't tell a D from an E, even with trained eyes. (For comparison of colour only, assuming both stones' all other aspects being equal).
happy.gif

Particularly for brilliant rounds and under a certain size. Unless say, you are getting a different multi-carat different cut
happy.gif

lynolyn

Hi MTMTMT
So that means getting a F is just as good as D colour. How about between VS1 and VS2?

By the way, has anyone heard about IGI cert? Seems like they cerify true hearts and arrow diamonds. Does it mean that most round brilliant that does not state H&A on the cert eg. GIA, means that they are inferior/not perfectly cut ?

white_snow

Hi there!

I need some advice on getting a 1 carat GIA certified diamond solitaire pendant. I am thinking of getting it at the Diamond Industries.

Colour: D-F
Clarity: VS1
Carat: 1
Cut: Excellent

Does anyone know the approximate price for this range of diamonds from Diamond Industries? What are the other factors that I should look out for besides the few that I have stated?? Please kindly advise... Thank you.

shyen

Hi,

I'm interested in getting my wedding band customised in Fairy's Inc. but am afraid of the quality n grade, as compared to reputable jewellers like Lee Hwa etc.. Anyone would like to comment on the quality of the diamonds?

I like a band wif tiny diamonds round the band.. looks v sweet, but when compared to one I saw at Lee Hwa wif only 5 diamonds, the latter looks much more sparkling & price cheaper also.... so I'm quite torn but really like the design at Fairy's... Maybe we really pay for their design n svc??

shyen

Hi Dabee,

Thanks for your advice. Brand doesn't really matter, but being a practical person, I've got to ensure that i'm paying for gd quality diamonds if i get from outside jewellers
happy.gif
besides Fairy's prices steeper than those i've checked out at Lee Hwa, Goldheart etc... (at least the design i like )

U got the round brilliant as engagement ring? What's the cosmo range? Care to describe?

princess_belle

Just a quick input on what I think for folks on a below $10K budget =)

1. Naked eye cannot tell from a single stone whether it is a D colour or a H colour.
2. Go for the CUT... a "Excellent" cut, polish and symmetry stone will reflect rainbow colours and will really sparkle. a "Very good/good" cut, polish and symmetry will only look white at best.
3. Clarity - as long as there are no monsters in the stone esp at the table - Vs2 is actually good enough!
4. Carat size - naked eye cannot tell between 1.0 and 0.96 carat, or 0.96 carat and 0.92 carat.
But once you hit 1.0 carat - price per carat shoots up.

Suggestions for reasonably priced diamonds?
Larry! Surprised? Try them - I was surprised at the price and quality too.
my stone G colour, VS1, 0.93 excellent cut - less than $10K.
Hope this helps!

fates

Destinee, Brilliant rose, or normal diamonds? The first two options have a trade-in value, but not the last right? Hope to hear some views on this :p

Thanks,

cookies_gal

Hi fates,

Personally, the Destinees that I see displayed at the shops has never caught my eye. And I think they are seriously overpriced for their quality.

Between Brilliant Rose & Normal Diamonds, it really depends on the size of the diamonds that you are looking at.

It is not worth getting brilliant rose diamond jewelry if the individual stones are less than 0.03 carat. You can't tell the difference between a 0.03 carat well-cut round brilliant diamond & brilliant rose diamond. For anything larger, you have to ask yourself the following

- Do you believe that a 66-cut diamond is superior to a 57/58 cut diamond?
- Do you like the way the diamond looks with such a cut? (do some research on stuff like brilliance/fire/scintillation as this is where the difference between a Brilliant Rose cut & other cuts lies. I suggest http://diamonds.pricescope.com/ for general info, http://www.diatalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6923 for comments on Brilliant Rose)

If so, then invest in a Brilliant Rose if you have the budget. The Brilliant Rose is priced at a premium over normal diamonds with the same color, clarity & carat so you must be convinced yourself that it is worth paying this premium. Otherwise, just stick to looking for the best normal diamond you can find at the best price (this is when you really need to shop).

Anything marketed as hearts & arrows cut are so-called premium cuts and are also priced more expensively then normal diamonds. Hearts and Arrows (H & A) cut is a 57/58 cut standard that results in perfect hearts & arrows images when you look at the diamond. Normal 57/58 cut diamonds do not guarantee this effect but they try their best to achieve it (that's when a diamond is said to have excellent cut) H & A cut is supposed to make the diamond more beautiful as it reduces leakage of light. The Destinee diamond is an example of a diamond with the hearts & arrows cut. Again, you have to ask yourself, is a H & A cut worth its premium? In the case of Destinee, I disagree. I'd rather buy a good normal diamond or top up a little for a Brilliant Rose instead.
happy.gif

At the end of the day, for diamonds, given the same carat, color & clarity, it is really a case of "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" for cut. In my case, I'd go for Brilliant Roses if I have the budget.

BTW, Normal diamonds (certified ones) do have some trade-in value but not at 100%. It depends on the shop you buy the diamonds from (some shops accept trade-in of diamonds you bought from their shops)

pepperpower

Hi,

Does anyone have any comments about the Fuego range in Soo Kee? It's hearts and diamonds essentially, but apparently not their premium range yet, so still rather affordable.

gooobergrape

i highly recommend Larry's for value.
Must check it out. not as expensive as it looks
they have high quality diamonds (EX/EX diamonds) - even the non-Lazare range. Lee Hwa and alot of other places only have (VG/VG) at best.

EX/EX = excellent cut, polish, symmetry

newcomer

hi fates, It all depends on how u appreciate diamonds.
For me, H&A are good enough.
Not necessary to go for brands like destinee or heart on fire.
U will be paying for the branding!
Of course, I dun deny these are good diamonds.
Brilliant rose is different cos of the diff no of facets, in other words the cut.
Personally prefer the conventional cuts.

If u are looking for a good pc of stone for yourself, a good GIA certified stone will do.
U won;t want to sell it away if u r in love with the stone.
Of course, for the stone to be set on a ring, u may want to go for higher end specs, such as:
D-F colour,
VVS clarity and
A very good cut.
Size is definitely important, choose one tat u will want to show off whenever u wear it.
No point going for premium diamonds, so small.
Jus my 2 cts worth. :p

cookies_gal

Hi pepperpower,

Do a comparison between Fuego, Destinee, and the equivalent H&A diamonds offered by Tian Po & D'Meyson (Hearts on Fire or something like that). See which one looks best to you and is most value for money for the same color,clarity, carat weight, polish, symmetry. Other intangibles would be the service offered by the individual shops

Hi bride2005,
No hard and fast rule to this question, really depends on what you want. I shopped for mine with my FH. 2 of my colleagues shopped for the engagement rings without their girlfriends.

pepperpower

Hi folks!

With the following choices, which would you people recommend?
(1)1.03carat, H&A(AGS OOO cert), VS2, H colour (with medium blue fluorescence), about $11.5K
(2)1.06carat, ordinary round brilliant, VS2, G colour, about $10K
(3)1.09carat, H&A(IGI cert), VS2, G colour, about $12.5-$13K.

Which is the most value for $? Is fluorescence necessarily a bad thing? cos the H colour with fluorescence actually looks quite ok compared to an F colour side by side

jimmygo

hi pepperpower,

with your budget of abt 10k, i would rather u get a lazare diamond from larry. the cut is excellent and the rest... is history..... no worries abt getting a lousy deal. u can walk away knowing that its a value for money rock on yr hand.

adeline,

as what i mentioned to pepperpower earlier, try going to larry and take a look. yr budget should be able to get ard a lazare 0.5 carat, F-G and VVS2-VS1.

pepperpower

hi jimmy,

what can 10k get me for the lazare range? what size and grade? m not too familiar with this range.

Thanks for your input!

gooobergrape

Adeline (ade75) - you can get 0.5-0.6 for that range! If you add another thousand to your budget you can get a .83 for $7000+

pepperpower (pepperpower)- frankly, there is no visual difference between 0.96 and 1.03 carats. But the price really jumps (per carat) after 1.0 carat. Notice you didn't specify the cut. Spend more on cut as you dont want to wear a big white (dull) diamond. You rather wear a rainbow sparkling diamond!! This means you have to pay for better cuts. Larry has EX/EX cuts which are non-lazare. compare one of those with their lazare. You will find that the EX/EX cuts are already quite close to lazare but much cheaper. go for it gal!!

pepperpower

Hi folks!

Does anyone know to what extent could one negotiate a tagged price down at Larry? Have never bought fm Larry before, so dunno their margin of flexibility.

Thanks!

PS: thanks goober for your tips!

jimmygo

hi pepperpower,

u've posted at the right time. larry is having their annual sales now. discounts of up till 20% for various brands of diamonds are ongoing. u wanna go?

my finacee and i are going to get our wedding bands there. if u want to, we can meet there and i recommend u to my salesperson. do pm me if you're considering so.

mpenza

there're quite a number of discounts too at the moment - Sookee with 40% discount for GIA diamonds and 20% off for Feugo series, LeeHwa with 20% off for DBS card holders (but not for Destinee) and 40% off for HRD certified diamonds, and Goldheart offering 15% discount for OCBC card holders.

jimmygo

hi rainne,

i would safely say tt their wedding band starts from $300 onwards. u can customise your design with them also. if u need me to intro to their salesperson, i'm glad to help.

alternatively, u may wish to consider fairy's inc as another good wedding band source. cheers!

jozy

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for replying so fast. I'm definitely considering fairy's inc and will be dropping by to take a look. But at the same time, I would be going to Tiffany as well and now am giving Larry a look too.

Would you share how much would a platinum band cost at Larry's? FH would want a plain, whereas I would love to have some tiny diamonds on it.

Our budget is about $2.5K for a pair.

jimmygo

hi rainne,

i would say that your budget will allow both your FH and yoursef a decent pair of plat bands at larry. maybe with some diamonds too... not Lazare range though...
happy.gif

however, if you're considering tiff, then your budget will be considered very tight. maybe on the starter's range.

good luck!

pepperpower

Hi Jimmy!

Got your bands from Fairy's yet? May be ROMing in Feb like you, so now in the mkt for bands...
Am feeling tempted by eternity bands .... but dat's prob too sinful a thought,
wink.gif

Watz yours like?

jimmygo

hi pepperpower,

haha.... what do u mean by 'May be ROMing in Feb'? haven't you booked the date already? if not, better do so already...

yeah, me also not enough dough for eternity bands. guess can only eternal in heart and mind. getting a simple pair of bands from fairy's. its with rose and white gold. currently WIP.

pepperpower

Jimmy, I'm lagging behind in my wedding prep....by round about three mths compared to most diligent others in dis forum...hehe.

Rose gold --> maroonish gold? Will your FW be wearing it with her ER on the same finger? Sounds like an intriguing combination...

genesisgalaxy

Hi people
Where can I get a 0.7 - 0.8 ct solitaire from? Price range?? 10k is a bit too ex for me coz splashing the dough in other areas. (Taka & SK are excluded in my choices.) thanks!

dabee

hi genesisgalaxy:
actually for the size u are lookin at 0.7 - 0.8C, and a reasonable grade (the 5Cs), should be ard $7K to $8K.
just my note to you. those dia from Taka & SK, are normally lower range. of cos TAKA & SK also has good n ex dia upon request. remember u pay for what u get. i think there is a period of time when SK has this promo... 1.0C (about $2-$3K), the shine n color is not as brillance..

pls go n shop ard. dun pai seh, compare between shops. look at larry (when there is a promo 30% disc.), flower jewellery at Taka... etc.

my advise is compromise a smaller dia with best grade. go within ur budget n get a better colored one. of cos if u can afford then go ahead and get a 0.7c with good color.

happy searching..

katgrrl

Genesisgalaxy,

Same advice as DaBee - shop around
happy.gif
When I went shopping for my diamond, I did my research on the 4Cs, brought along my 'diamond checklist', went shop-to-shop, asked them to show me their range (& certs) and wrote down each diamond's attributes on my checklist. Very systematic and the only way to remember the dozens of diamonds from Larry, Goldheart & so on. It also allows me to do some analysis and comparisons when I'm back home without any sales pressure.

Like u, I wanted mine in the upper range. But I didn't wanna pay for crap, so the hardnosed approach is totally worth it. (Some owners actually thought I was a journalist! ...now wouldn't this piece be something that a ST Life reporter would wanna do??)

However, I dun agree with DaBee on her compromise for a smaller diamond with the best grade. Let's face it, can u tell the difference between VVS1 and VS2 (Clarity) with your naked eye? Nope, because it's only visible under 30x magnification, that's why
wink.gif
Ditto for Colour. One can't really tell if it's D or G because the difference is so gradual and small.

Hence, if I were u, I'd go for the following criteria to max out value for carat:
Colour: F-G
Clarity: VS1-VS2
Cut: 'Ideal' (see discussion below) & Proportion and Symmetry

Cut is very often neglected but it affects brilliance more than anything. And I don't mean what some shops call 'Brilliant Rose' whatever. That btw, just tells me how many facets and the way it's cut, not HOW WELL it is cut. Bear in mind that even industry insiders can't agree on the exact 'ideal' cut. As an example, Table diameter: 53 to 57.5%; Crown angle: 34 to 35 degrees.... etc... but having said that, there's a certain range that the dimensions have to fall into. When I was shopping for mine, my criteria was a depth of 59 through 62 percent and table of 56 through 58 percent. (That's where my A4 checklist comes in handy
happy.gif
)

And if I haven't been convincing enough, here's a scenario. Your girlfriend, Cindy, comes in with her 0.7 diamond and flashes it at you. Then, you lift your expresso with your pinky daintily pointing up. But all eyes are not on your expresso or Cindy's ring, but on your 0.75 carat rock. Oohs and aahs follow and despite your protests, it quickly emerges that you paid less than Cindy. But-t-t they look identical, everyone exlaim.

For me, I wouldn't wanna be Cindy
wink.gif
. Oh well, I guess everyone will have their own yardstick be it top-notch invisible quality or a size that knocks-your-eyes-out.

I've compiled what I call "A Smart Girl's Guide to Diamond Shopping" document and a spreadsheet to go shopping with. If u're keen, drop me a line at [email protected]

ps. always go for third party certified diamonds. A Certificate also details the table and depth proportions, symmetry, fluorescence etc..

pps. I don't buy the 'Brilliant Rose (or whatever) cut is best' argument. #1-How WELL it's cut is more important that how it's cut. #2-Some industry folks actually prefer the fewer facets of the 'old fashioned' cut because light reflections are a lot more distinct with fewer facets than more. #3- in Economic terms, it's just marketing fluff that attempts to differentiate a 'primary' product with the end objective of extracting higher consumer rents.

genesisgalaxy

Wow
actually I've been reading up lots on diamonds and such, so i can safely say that i know what i want (more or less...hehe)

Katgrl, i agree with u!
I don't see the difference between VVS1 & VS1, when viewed with the naked eye. Who on earth is going to use a scope to check the internal flaws when u show them? coupled with the fact that you are probably not going to sell/pawn the diamond ring in future, the clarity is not exactly an important factor to me.

Colourwise, there isn't a difference between E & G when viewed seperately. however, when i compared them side by side, the one in G looks a tint yellowish as compared to the one in E.

I guess my specifications will be
Colour: F
Clarity: can "tahan" up til VS1
Cut: brilliant

again, i agree with you that the brilliant rose 66(?) facet cut is the best, although the diamonds are really quite sparkling. my friend bought hers from Larry's and although she has sent it for polishing, it doesn't look quite as sparkly as brilliant rose. Destinee looks good too. However, i suspect that it's just a marketing ploy with fanciful names to lure pple into shelling out more dough.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!

pepperpower

err... dun tink Katgrrl agrees brilliant rose is best cut....it's actually a fanciful cut (not the usual 57/58-faceted cut).... so its light return isn't as well-researched and well-established as for the traditional cut.

Like you, I also find brilliant rose pretty sparkling, but notice it gives off smaller flashes (due to the smaller facets) than the usual bolder flashes of a traditional ideal cut?

Tink brilliant rose sparkles differently from Destinee. I like Destinee -- for reasons of its AGS000 rating and Hearts and Arrows symmetry --- but tinks it's overpriced, due to marketing ploy. Why dun you try a 0.7/0.8, oso AGS000 certified at other reputable stores? If not Larry, you can try Canary, Carat Club, etc....
happy.gif

sweets

KatGrrl, can u email me your cheatsheet? Wanting to get another sparkly for myself on my next trip to HK
happy.gif
This will probably come in really handy. Thanks. [email protected]

Anyone for cushion cut?