Carlton Hotel

rinsan

Hi Miracle,

Thanks for the information, my first choice for the date is taken, so i have to KIV my second choice, 16 Nov. (Friday, thus 2nd night is available already)

Yup, very comprehensive and nothing much to ask for except that wondering if there could be like discount or waiver of $30 to the package.

Miracle, can share your package information, [email protected]

Thanks.

rinsan

Hi saliva,

heard that the perks will be better if you were to book your package after the bridal show or on the actual day of the bridal show.

P.S. please confirm this information with your coordinator.

dfish

Hi rinsan,

They did block the date for me for quite a while.

But their policy is such that if someone is interested in the same date and wish to make a confirm booking by placing the deposit, then Carlton will call up the person who made the tentative booking first and ask for confirm booking.

After all they won't let business fly away..

rinsan

Hi Dfish,

Yes, i should be going to the wedding show. I have heard from my coordinator that it is giving great perks. Btw, did you ask for anything addition on top of what is already offered?

Those who have yet to sign up the package should check with their coordinator. Should be interesting.
happy.gif

Rinsan

kimifin

Anybody knows for Carlton, can I use mp3 songs for my march in?
What about video montage, any1 tried Windows Movie Maker & able to play at Carlton?

dfish

Hi Rinsan,

I asked for dayroom. It very much depends on how many tables you can confirm with them. More tables means more bargaining power. Do update us on the extra perks at the wedding show
happy.gif

Hi starry nitz,

Yes the menu is the same as 2006. Maybe I will ask my coordinator see if can have the choice to choose the 2007 menu also..

rinsan

Hi dfish, starry_nitz,

Don't want to spoil the market too much, so cannot say out who is the coordinator.

Anyway, heard that it is really going to be a great deal.

E.g, you will save on spending and get one or two extra things.
:Þ

Regards,
RinSan

starlight_17

Hi ladies, my coordinator used to be April but she has left Carlton. I wasn't assigned a new corrdinator and now i have a hard time trying to get any of the corrdinator to confirm on the food tasting timing.

Any brides to be out there facing the same plight as me?
sad.gif

tge25

I was given a letter from April saying that she is leaving and the new coordinator name

Maybe u can call them up to check

ehore

Dear Gals,

Did anyone of you juz had your AD at Carlton?
Would like to know how's their food standard like? Any complaints??
Was the portion of the food enuf for the guest?

almondnut

Hi pple, i am really worried about the wedding dinner food at carlton. Has anybody tried the food tasting? How is it? The food is suppose to be by the restaurant right?

heidi_ong

Hi ladies,

i'm new here and i've just attended a wedding dinner at carlton on Sunday.

Will really like to share my truthful opinions as i've observed some 'bads' and 'goods'. I'm definitely not complaining, but i think these opinions might be useful for brides-to-be of carlton.

"Bads":

1. I arrived at 6.45pm sharp as written on invitation. The ballroom's door remained closed till 8pm when the dinner is about to be served. I was 'punished' standing outside for an hour plus. -> Pls ask for the ballroom to be opened earlier so that guests can go in to sit down and mingle with one another.

2. There were pillars in the ballroom, thus i can empathise with those guests who were totally blocked by the pillars. They were all shifting their seats and stretching their necks when the video was played. -> Request for a pillarless ballroom, or do not have guests seated directly behind the pillars.

3. The background of the stage was red/maroon colour, so were the table cloths. It was a real nice colour, esp. the table cloths which were of a good quality. But the bride's evening gown is also of the same colour!! During the 2nd march-in, the bride not only 'merged' into the ballroom and more so when the couple went up the stage! -> Pls check the colour of the background of stage b4 deciding on EG colour. Bride should stand-out from the crowd, not merge into the surrondings.

4. My table was not full, with only 8 guests. However, the food is of very small serving despite it is 9-dish course dinner! We drove to have supper after the dinner. (not kidding) Example, one of the dishes was 'duck with mango'. And wat did each of us get? 2 slices of mango with 1 tiny slice of duck!! Its very pathetic! Does not look nice also as the guests will 'talk'... There is also no shark's fin or abalone, really not very presentable. And one more thing, the food is really just so-so... very average.. -> Maybe brides-to-be can negotiate with carlton to give bigger servings? Pls do not take the duck with mango dish... very very pathetic.....

5. Though serving staff looked like locals, they do not have much initative. My dinner started with no tea cups and no sauces available. Were only served after the first dish came. No one refilled our drinks throughout the dinner (we asked for soft drinks, which is free-flow) and i have to call for the staff many times. When the noodles were served, the staff actually scooped a very big portion and the noodles spilled out of the bowl. He simply served it to the guests, with the noodles flowing onto the table... very unskilled worker. -> Talked to the management regarding the serving staff.

Now the "goods" of the dinner:

1. The couple are very loving and they were the highlight of the nite!

2. The hotel is centrally located and easily accessible.

3. The look of the hotel, including the area outside the ballroom, was quite posh looking. Toilets also easily accessible.

That's about all for my observations and feelings after the dinner.

Just my truthful 2 cents worth, no offence!

miracle_miracle

thanks for your review, heidi.. but it seems that your 'bad' pts are more than the good ones..
in my opinion, No. 3 under 'bad' shouldn't be listed under 'bad'.. it is up to the onus of the bride to choose a evening gown of a more outstanding colour instead of blending into the surrounding colour or maybe she wanted to match with the surrounding/theme. this has nothing to do to the hotel.

when my wedding comes, i'll definietly seek ur advice for pt no. 1 and 5..
happy.gif

miracle_miracle

oh one more thing.. u mentioned that there wasn't any shark's fin soup? maybe the couple had chosen not to have this and exchanged for something else..

but shark's fin soup is definitely included in the menu for all packages..hope this will clarify some of ur thoughts..

rinsan

Hi Istephie,

Yes, I went to the wedding show and sign up my package already. Overall, the wedding show is not bad and the food is ok. But is the deal for the dinner package that is attactive. (Not going to reveal too much. :p)

RinSan

heidi_ong

Dear corene,

thank you so much for clarifying. Now i understood why shark's fin was not served and will also explain this to some of my relatives who have been pondering this issue since the dinner.

I really hope i have not offended any carlton brides-to-be by this post.

Have a good time planning and enjoy your wedding!
smile.gif

ivied

Dear Heidi,
Thanks for your feedback. I'm a Carlton BTB too, I shall take note of point 1 and 5 on my AD. But does the dish 'mango with duck' really that pathetic? This is one of my itemised dish. Wah Lok is well-known for their food and I trust that the guests will not be disappointed.

sereneli

Hi Gals,

will make some comments on post by hedi based on my own experience
happy.gif

1) The opening of the ballroom door depends on the no. of guests arrived as well as the instructions from the couple. Usually the ballroom door will only open when there's about 50% to 70% of guests who have arrived. This is quite standard for all hotels.

2) For couples who have chosen Carlton, they would have realised that there are pillars when they viewed the room before booking. So I guess this issue is more of how you are going to arrange your guests, to ensure that minimal blockage can be achieved and don't think you can request for a pillarless ballroom as there isn't any in Carlton
happy.gif

3) The color theme would be presented to the couple beforehand. Though they will decide only just a few days before the AD, they should know the choice of colors available and when deciding color of their gowns, they would have taken note. Hence there's nothing Carlton can do to avoid such clashes
happy.gif

4) As for the quantity of dishes, perhaps, BTB of Carlton can feedback to their co-ordinators when meeting up for discussion.

5) The service of staff can be highlighted to Carlton during discussion. I didn't had any problems during my time as I received feedback that the service of the staff (which I understand are part timers) were great, in terms of efficiency to top up drinks and were friendly.

I am not writing this comments to defend Carlton but just voicing out my opinions based on my own experience so that brides have a better idea. But I think the points made by Heidi can be used as a good reference for all BTB
happy.gif

Cheers!

heidi_ong

Dear iViED,
to be very fair, the mango served in that dish were really very sweet n juicy and all of us loved it! But the duck is honestly pathetic... really just one small slice. What i mean is that this does not look very nice, esp with the older folks. Since i believe the newly wed are paying extra for an extra dish (i understand there is a choice of 8 or 9 course, and the dinner i attended was 9-course), i hope it will be $$ well spent, esp so if there will be many older folks in the guest list. Youngsters like us will have no problems, but all the not-so-nice comments came from the older ones around me. Hence i thought it would be good to let the brides-to-be here know as a consideration. Of course, many may not agree as all of us have our own preferences and likings. But i listed it as if it was my own wedding, i would like to take note of it. Really no hard feelings!
smile.gif

Dear serene,
i truly believe in Wah Lok and also Carlton hotel to make the event a memorable one for all newly weds! I just thought that probably, the one i attended was not as what i would have expected. My posting has nothing against the hotel, etc, just some opininons for brides-to-be of carlton to take note if they would like to.

I know carlton hotel has been a great venue and will continue to be one!
smile.gif

sussie

hi all,

I'm new here and would like to share my experience after attending a weddin dinner at the Empress Ballroom yesterday night...

-The decorations of the ballroom is romantic
-Tables setup is clean and presentable
-The food is nice as i always believe in the Wah Lok restaurant
-Service staffs were friendly,approacable and very attentive.

However, the problem only arrived at the end of the dinner. One middle-aged gentlemen in black jacket acutally reprimanded a waiter over certain issue which im not interested with either. The next second, he spouted vulgarities loud and clear...*Kids were around at that time i nearly approached him to ask whether he need a mike to project... After that,they both went to the foyer, he then ran towards the waiter holding something on hand trying to hit him... Luckily he is stopped by someone...
At that time, the couple is also at the foyer seeing the guests away...
We felt so transparent as he do not seems to have respect for us...
i do not think the problem lies on the waiter but more to the gentlemen in black jacket... Its a pity i do not get to see his name tag... If he is a team leader/captain/manager,i bet there is something that the management can work on it... One day, he might actually shout at one of the guest instead...

Therfore, i encouraged couples holding your weddin in Carlton hotel soon to especially highlight the "service standard" to the sales person in charge. Else, it will disappoint your guests and spoil your wedding banquet...

ps: i know there is surely some carlton staffs viewing this forum... I could jus say that is a disgrace to carlton hotel Banquet...Hope you all can work on it to provide a 4 Star hotel standard...

junietian

hi all,

juz wanna to share my experience after attending a wedding dinner at the Empress Ballroom on sat night...

totally agree wif wat sussiepeter had mention above:

- decorations of the ballroom is nice
- food is nice as its from the Wah Lok restaurant
-Service staffs were friendly, approacable and attentive, service was good.

i tink the middle aged gentlemen (easy spotted as he is the only one wearing different colour uniform) tat sussiepeter had mention is the banquet manager or rather the person in charge, can see tat he is the one co-ordinating the programme with the couple, manage to have a glare at his name tag after the incident btw him and the part timer at the foyer, if i am not wrong his name is Mr Augustine Ng (long name but can remember, tink his name did appeared in tis forum before)

i was sitting at the table near the foyer side when i suddenly hear loud shouting outside the ballroom juz before the last course is served, went outside n hear him shouting vulganrities at the poor part timer, i dun tink tis will be a good image for a well known 4-star hotel like Carlton Hotel, more over not only that there is alot of guest there, the wedding couple is also outside sending the guest off, its reali spoil the whole image of the hotel, hopefully the management of the hotel get to see tis forum and will do something abt it

sereneli

Hi Sussiepeter,

that sounds bad. the gentleman should not reprimand his staff in front of the guests! That's a big no no in service industry!

sereneli

Hi Junie,

Augustine was my banquet manager!!!! kekeke but we had rave reviews for him during my wedding as he was really helpful during our banquet with Carlton. Sad to hear this about him. Hope the couple will feedback to Carlton on this so that he is aware of this grave mistake that he made.

sussie

hi serene,
Thanks for your information... So this gentlemen i'm talking about is a banquet manager!!!omg...
anyway serene, he definitely must be good to you... else who's going to settle his bill? haha :p think carefully...

junietian

hi serene

yup yup, he have to be nice to you, like wat u said you were the pay master of tat night, the person wont care for anything else other then collect money from you for the banquet.....

junietian

hi all

read some of the post long time ago, saw a few saying tat Augustine Ng is good, but i dun think so, seeing wat happen on tat day with my own eye, i was really very disapointed, the hotel shd really look into this matter.

people will look for him to handle wedding for them when they know that he is good, i think people will now try to avoid him after seeing this post here, i dun think there will be anyone who wish something like this to happen to them or their guest on their wedding night rite ?

P.S : i advice all BTB to avoid this gentlemen there, i am sure there is someone else in the hotel that can do the job for you, you nvr know when he will start shouting at others again, if its shouting at his staff its still alright but what if he is shouting at any of your guest, worst still your reletive ???? will it look nice ??

junietian

actually a few others of my friends together wif myself are considering carlton as wedding and ROM venue but after seeing this we all have to really think twice before make the decision

rinsan

junie, i think the venue is ok. rather, you can opt for coordinators.

After comparing few of the venues, I still think that carlton offer a very comprehensive package with nothing much for me to worry of.
happy.gif

junietian

rinsan, i think wat u said also have a point.
can opt for coordinator since there is other ppl who can do the job, its not only him tat is working in the hotel.....

tge25

Hmmm... junie,

i had my wedding recently... in charge is augustine...

he is very nice guy, very helpful and cooporative...

i still wan to post a posting here to praise his helpfulness...

hmmm..what exactly happen? can share?

tge25

Ok anyway...

I had my wedding dinner at carlton last month... I must say that Augustine is extremely helpful and nice and the type who hope you will not lose on your wedding dinner..

he keep asking me whether i wan to reduce my no of confirm tables as mine is on a weekday.. and he worried that alot of guest may not turn up last minutes...

From the day I met him, discuss the wedding montage details, the way he controlled the wines flow and hard liquor... I must give 4 thumbs up ( 2 hands 2 legs)

Then... the best part is he is very detailed person... he even bothered to help me up on stage...scared i trip over my lo0ng gown...

so this is why i cant believe that he will shout at pple..esp guest...

Although he is abit hokkien "pai"...but dun tink he will do anyting silly ba...

haha...anyway... to all brides out here... i can tell u that i am extremely happy with my wedding dinner over here with this coordinator

tge25

Hi Chibi,

Bring your montage to the hotel and let yoru coordinator try for you.

Shld be able to work most of the time

burger

Hi
I had my wedding reception at Carlton just last week & my co-ordinator was Augustine as well.

Similarly my hubby & i felt that he's good & helped us to save $ by advising us to cut down on the table numbers.

But the same cannot be said of the Banquet Sales manager Jxsxx! Full of talk but no action!

ling2006

Hi ladies,

I agreed with choc.... augustine was my banquet mgr last month.. he is really helpful, thotful and detailed person.... all things went smoothly... he oso know how to calm the couple esp during the march-in etc... all steps n procedures are taken care... he may sound "loud"/"rude" when toking to him but he actually dun mean it.. err.. dun noe how to describe it la.. it's like the way a person is ... and this kind of give others to hae a wrong impression of him... i'm just sharing my experience on him for BTBs for reference... :p

tge25

ST... your coordinator oso Jxsxx? hahahahaa...same experience

thats why i try to tell u all that Augustine is not tt bad... i know he is abit loud..if u noe how "ang beng" pattern talk... he fall into such category...

Not that i trying to help him or what.. but i realli will be willing to write a letter of compliments for his great service....

hmmm...maybe different pple have different expectation...if you wan a classy dinner and alot of spare cash to spare...try fullerton or those 6** hotel lor...

but no one can guranteed that it is up to ur expectation... same old advise.. treat pple the way u wan to be treated... ^_^

ivied

Hi choc/ling/ST, may I know what is the appropriate time to meet up with the coordinator? I have been liaising with the banquet sales manager, this Jxsxxx all along ever since Apxxl has left. How come he will advise you to cut down on the number of tables? I thought u will only meet him on the actual day?