Carlton Hotel

piggypig04

Np. i posted it here is because i want to warn others of their services and food. A simple email can tell you the management service standard and how they treat their customers.

We were like you guys, keeping one eye close but sometimes when serious things start to happen, we cannot tolerate.. We are paying over 20K of our hard earn $$ to endure such services, to us is not acceptable.

Anyway our coordinators Joanna is fine. Is their so called operation side = F&B. I think after this incident, they should improve. If not then, too bad.

happylittlegal

I have sign up for their wedding fair on 6 Nov for $20 per couple. Am considering them for my actual day. They have increased the price over the years.

For weekend dinner banquet, it will cost about $1050 nett compared to a few years back when it was ard $900. Maybe its becos of the new ballroom.

wintumnsky

Hi zoey, banquet prices rise at least 30++ yearly based on my comparison done.. Some may even rise by near 100bucks so that may explain d price increase..

Me going to meet Joanna tmr..
Wad r d perks Dat I can ask for?
More complimentary parking, extra 1N bridal suite, Helpers room etc?

blinky03

I don't have pics. The bridal suite i got is a combination of two deluxe rooms. but that was the old wing. I'm not sure how the new wing is like.

comanches98

the empress ballroom looks damn big but I have only 20 tables. Anyone knows if they will split up the ballroom or partition the ballroom?

canary

Trisha, there're no bridal suites for the new wing, so although our wedding will be held at the new ballrooms, our bridal suite is at the old wing...
sad.gif

Zhiwei, think they won't partition the ballroom esp if it's a weekend. But maybe can negotiate if you're looking for a weekday??

suzysue

I'm a BTB who booked Carlton as a banquet provider. Here's my feedback on their service thus far:

1) I met up with their senior sales/catering manager. He's very patient but terribly inflexible. I suspect it's due to the strict company policies they have and his hands are probably tied. They are very insistent on charging things like corkage fee (which can easily be waived in some hotels).

2) I was on time for my 3pm appointment. However, one of the sales/catering staff who attended to me looked at me (when she met me) and said rather bluntly, "You're one hour early, right?!" To which I replied, "No... I'm on time." I was really puzzled she made that statement because my watch clearly showed dat it was 3pm. I really wanted to roll my eyes because it shows they are either a) very blur or b) super blur.

3) While choosing the color of the table linens, I was told dat the option I picked might not be available as there are many weddings going on the same night. I was told dat couples who have already chosen their options will be given prority. This really pissed me off becoz I was the one who initiated to meet the hotel to finalise the wedding details. They did not contact me even though it's less than a month away from my wedding. So is it my fault dat I could only pick the linens much later?
However, the saving grace was the fact that the sales/catering manager offered good advice on what colors I should pick to match the decor of the room. In addition, he also promised to check with the florist to ensure they have sufficient quantities of the decoration pieces I picked.

4) Turnover rate in the hotel seems very high. I booked my room around a year ago, and within the year, I've had 3 different coordinators liaise with me cos the previous ones left. I think this has resulted in a poor followup and lack of understanding of the needs of the couples.

In summary, I definitely would think twice about holding my wedding at Carlton if not for the fact dat my mother is a fan of Wah Lok. I think Carlton has the advantage of being in an accessible location. However, their inflexible practices and somewhat inexperienced staff mar an otherwise promising hotel. I shall make another post once my wedding is over so that other BTB can glean from my personal feedback.

paintednails

hi serenity, think i've talked to you on the other threads before. i'm thinking of getting carlton as the ball room shape is squarish thus looks very spacious and easy to decorate. your feedback has definitely made me think twice. hmmmmm...

angelinewang

Hi,could anyone share with me on your wedding package held in Carlton Hotel & what are the things they have offer? Kindly advise do they throw in any additional night for you beside the standard 1 night stay? Also, does every table entitle a bottle of wine? Awaiting for your feedback asap...Thank you!

suzysue

Here's my 2cents worth after my wedding at Carlton:

1) Bridal suite: It was spacious and comfortable plus it held a magnificent view. I appreciate the fact dat it was conveniently located at the same wing as my banquet location. This made it convenient for us when we had to change our outfits. My only grouse is dat the only hairdryer available was this racketty old thing that was mounted on the wall of the bathroom. I'm not sure if it's the same thing for those suites located in the new wing. So for brides who need a good, functional dryer so dat u can blowdry ur hair w/o taking ages, I suggest u bring ur own.

2) Esplanade room: It was a cosy and private area to hold the wedding. I like the fact dat we were able to use the 'garden' area for cocktail. The decor of the room is a tad old-fashioned (as it's still not renovated yet) but I had no problems with it cos they maintained it pretty well. There's a huge pillar in the room, so a couple of tables were blocked. So brides using this room, be sure to avoid packing the room too full (I had 14 tables) as jam-packing the room really just means ur guests won't be getting an optimal view of the action on stage.

3) Banquet manager and staff: Kudos to the manager, Fiona. She was thorough in explaining to us the things to be done (e.g. how to walk on stage for cake cutting etc) and efficient in running the banquet. The staff assigned to the VIP tables were also extremely attentive in ensuring dat I didn't trip and fall flat on my face. Some of my guests did complain dat the part-time staff were not attentive enough though.

4) Quality of food: Pretty good. The banquet staff sent up the leftovers to our room and it still tasted pretty good after it was reheated.

All in all, I would sum up the entire experience as pleasant. I think it's a value-for-money hotel considering I paid only 928nett for each table.

P.S.The hotel made a minor blunder when they failed to move my husband's clothes from the deluxe room (cos he stayed there the night before) to our bridal suite. My hubby was fretting over it cos he only got his tux after numerous phone calls to the concierge. So if u're staying an extra day, be sure to give the staff specific instructions.

paintednails

helo serenity!i met up with one of their senior sale manager as well. thinking of getting empress ballrm 4 n 5. he showed me the courtyard, swimming pool cabana and various places i could do my solemnization which was thoughful.

want to ask you if you would rate the food about 8/10? do you mean that they also keep for you left over portions of unused dishes?

thanks!

could i pm you to discuss with you which senior sale manager u used?

blueychan

hi all!

I am considering Carlton to hold my wedding in 2012. I have been to their ballroom today and I am unable to see the main set up of it.
sad.gif

Could anyone care to share any photos?? Any feedback of it would be great too!

Thanks!!

justwen

Hi,

I went to see their ballroom a few weekends ago.. I prefer the new ballroom
happy.gif

If you like to see their ballroom in wedding setup, u can call them to check if there is a wedding on the day and drop by at between 6pm - 6.30pm to view the ballroom. They will not have viewing after 6.30pm as to respect the bride and groom. ~you wont want to have strangers in casual wear at your wedding venue, right ;)~

puffygal

Hello Gals
For those who had held their wedding or soon to be, I would like to check, did your guests have any issues finding the correct ballroom? As 1,2,3 are near to the main lift and 4,5 are at the other side (near carpark lift).
You know, they might just walk walk walk.. and when it's packed, people might just get confused.

Just wondering if you did any special decorations/instructions to ensure that guests arrive the right place? Wondering how to prevent the photographer of taking the wrong guests?

Any suggestions is welcome with thanks!

ivychung

Hello btb,

Me and my htb just went down to Carlton to meet up with the coordinators, realized not much perks given unlike some other hotel. Anyway served the coordinator William before? How you find him?

puffygal

Hi Ivy..
William was Okay.. and yes..there's wasnt much peaks and not too flexible (in providing peaks)..But overall I find the place nice though
happy.gif

are you signing up?

Nice decent empress ballroom 4/5 with high ceiling and pillarless.
But the suite provided is abit far from the ballroom. (They only have suites in the main tower while the ballroom is in the new tower)
Need to walk some distance to change during the banquet.

Anyone with photos of the bridal suite? Can send me pls?

Probably 5 min walk? Need to walk towards empress ballroom 1 which is at the other end.
Anyone has any idea of the lighting effects during march-in? Saw a couple's photos where lights were left on as usual during the march-in..

houseoflove

Hi, anyone going for the Carlton wedding show this coming Sat? Anyone knows what is the program supposed to be like? I was actually interested in going..and I called Carlton just now and this staff from Catering Sales picked up. When I enquired what is the program going to be like since it's from 12pm - 3pm, she say it's just the banquet manager is going to bring us to walk around. HUH? Walk around for 3 hrs? I ask her repeatedly is that going to be all and she said yes! I am so pissed now..

piglet_lyn

hi houseoflove, i will be going for the wedding show but am not sure about what the program will be during the 3hrs. i guess the 3hrs include light refreshments, walk about the hotel and to discuss with you what are the things they offer.

puffygal

oh no sacchar, tat doesnt' sound good! When I went to view the ballroom, they were preparing for some functions, and the lighting was dimmed and decoration was pretty.. Guess we need to highlight to the AV guy on the very day again

Amryllis, got to admit the shared foyer issnt exactly perfect, but the atmosphere feels good inside the ballroom. Trying to think of some way to prevent guests from mixing up: like placing our big photo at reception , etc.. Still in progress of tinking..

Houseoflove, maybe you can just join if you are interested in the place. Probably the lady doesn't know much so couldnt contribute to the conversation. Heard there are more perks during these wedding shows. Good luck !

piglet_lyn

they will definitely throw in some perks for u to sign on the spot. i have been making calls asking for more perks from them but every time after checking with higher authority, the answer is always 'no'.

ivychung

Thanks Puffygal. I am considering to sign up with Carlton or Sheraton.. still undecisive to choose between the two. Will you gals choose between Sheraton @ Weekday or Carlton @ Weekend? Let me know your thougths.

Thanks

puffygal

Heard sheraton is nice but s there is no slot for me i didnt go down to view. Think theres a min no of tables ( like a lot) if im not wrong, so u may need hv big wedding for it

U can check out two places cos ultimately its hw u feel wen u r at the ballroom. Carlton ballroom is new n i feel comfty wen i step in, so chosen them.

shoppee

Im holding my wedding at carlton in sept. I have attended wedding at Sheraton. in terms of location, carlton wins cos the latter's location is not so easily accessible.

Sheraton's ballroom is comparable with carlton's. Its ballroom has very high ceiling, could be higher than carlton's.. but I felt carlton's overall presentation, ie. lobby gives a very chic and modern feel, while the latter is a little more conservative.

that's my take. mayb u can try swissotel merchant court? t
I think quite nice also...
happy.gif

shoppee

I think I have pics of esplanade room.. is it the small room in the corner next to empress room? it's pretty new, how come they renovate again?

rwong

hey queen, i'd the same feeling as you when stepped into carlton. it's the ambience made me shortlist them.

the esplanade room is located on the higher floor than the ballrooms. do u hv the pic? thanks.

@Ivy Tan: wht's sheraton min table? mine was less than 18.

lynhuang

anyone went to the wedding fair last sat?? for the ballroom empress 4 & 5, it seems small to me.. the co-ordinator mention it could put up to 33 max tables but it seems will be very cramp.. wat do u all think??

syps

We went down to Carlton yesterday and meet up with William.

it was a rather impromptu appointment as the venues we chose earlier are all taken up on our 'good dates'.
Both Hubby and I called the banquet sales a few times and the staff weren't helpful at all, they just told us the manager is not in and no further assistance.
Hubby than tried calling again and managed to speak to William who already had an appointment at 7pm the very same night, but he managed to arrange some time to meet us at 6.15pm.

We like the new ballroom, high ceiling and no pillars. It has this very classy look to it and William showed us the lighting effects which were beautiful.

One thing I have to agree will be the shared foyer and guests might get confused on which ballroom to go. William mentioned that there will be staff helping to direct the guests, but anyone have any experiences to share?

It's true that they are inflexible in some ways. They do not give as many perks as the other hotels but they have a 'wish list' which is similar to Marriott.

We are considering holding the banquet there if we can get the date we want. So far all our 'good dates' are taken.

They also have a list of auspicious dates and you have to top up $20 if your date falls on the auspicious date.

Other than that, we were given the assurance by William that the Chef from Wah Lok is the very reputable chef who left and went back to Carlton.

I hope the service will improve though, have seen alot of comments on their bad service.

syps

left for better prospects but after joining a few he was invited to go back after years, so according to William there is definitely an improvement in the food.

rwong

cool... as heard & read review that their food standard dropped so was contemplating if we should go for this coz we want to give our guests good food.

cl0ver

Hi Faith,

Auspicious date is an additional $20 per table? I was told it is additional $50 per table.

Can I know what position is William?

I went to the wedding show last week. Initially spoke with Bonnie, she is super impatient and hostile in her tone.. Then we spoke with Joanna, she's much better and Irene the catering sales director. They are all very inflexible, especially with perks.

I find their bridal suite quite old.. Its a pity they did not have bridal suite at new wing. When i requested to upgrade the bridal suite by topping up the differences, i was quoted a topup from $200++ but when i checked the room rates on their website, the difference is less than $200. When i questioned Joanna, she said internet published rate is cheaper than their internal rate. I was like 'Huh? What is this?'

syps

rwong: yes we saw alot of negative feedbacks on forums too. however hubby attended a wedding there recently and he say the food was great so we decided to give it a shot. let's hope things will turn out fine!

clover: hi
happy.gif
hm as far as we remember, it was $20 per table. unless i recalled wrongly. it could be $20 additional for Empress Room and $50 for auspicious date? I'm sorry but I can't really recall as we were pretty firm we will not hold it on their auspicious date.

There's apparently 2 Williams in Carlton, the one who attended to us was William Chan and he's the Snr Catering Sales Manager.

Yes they have this wish list thing instead of additional perks and we tried our best to 'squeeze' for more but the best he could do was the standard weekend package + $20 for the Empress Ballroom, 30% carpark passes, 80% invitation card and waiver for 20 bottles of wine.

for the wish list we will probably get the 20 bottles of wine and complimentary food tasting.

we didn't view the bridal suite and we are not very particular as well.

we will be confirming with them this week, doing it next year's march and that's the only date we have and they have. :/

main reason we took up is because we like their ballroom and the capacity is just nice for us. the other places are either too many or too little. and also William gave us good vibes during our meeting so we decided to trust our guts and go for it.

rwong

oh, this is good news. can hv us rest assure.
happy.gif

the wish list thingy looks familiar. couldnt recall which hotel we went to provide similar proposal. i wonder if this offer avail to both lunch & dinner banquet?

congrats to u in advance as u've decided. mind share with us the process & your experience after confirming with them? thanks

puffygal

Hi Faith

I got the same feeling as u, tats why i sign up with Carlton despite reading some negative reviews. Hope their service will continue b good on the actual day!
happy.gif

oh, my coordinator is William too
happy.gif