Shangri-la Hotel

littleblueboo

Hi Ladies!

My banquet will be in Oct 2008 and we're finally going to sign the contract and make partial payment this week!

Honestly, Shangri-La was not my first choice (Hyatt was cos Mandy was such a dear!) but then there are few hotels who can accomodate 700 guests comfortably. Also, initially, i wasn't quite impressed by the service as they take ages to reply an email and it's so difficult to get in touch with Melanie. But things are getting better and i hope that i'll be as happy with everything as some of you girls are. =)

nectarine

Hi ladies

Just read some of the entries on the payment terms. Just to share, the payment term in the contract is progressive payment. However, my coordinator indicated that there is a second option of settling the payment only after the banquet.

Hence, I think it is possible to request for that option if you prefer, just have to ensure it is agreed upon in writing. =)

missdaffy

Hi Jacqueline/Joanne,

I am considering the Silver/Gold Menu.
Would like to know more about your packages too.

Can email me? [email protected]

Really appreciate it. Thanks!
happy.gif

candy76

Hihi,

Was wondering if all of you can share with me your perks cos I am having a very hard time to get Jean to give me more than what is in the package. Honestly, I have very upset abt it... but she does not want to burge, there is also nothing I can do.
sad.gif

candy76

Hi,

Managed to negotiate for a slightly better deal today.
happy.gif

My wedding is in Jan 09. Perks included more parking, additional night of stay and day use room for helpers.

chubbychong

hi Christine,
additional parking and extra night stay is very common.
Jean increased my parking to 40% and gave me one more night's stay. But it was after we made a lil noise that many other hotels include this in. With her, guess you have to be firm becuz she is not one to give freely.

bubblegumz

Hi Christine & Chubby

yea.... guess the extra perks are pretty standard. I'm still deciding btw fullerton and shang.. Have you gals paid the deposit?

tulips02

Welcome all BTB of Shang..have not been in here for quite some time now. Mine wedding is coming soon on Xmas day...really busy with prep.

How your prep coming along??

candy76

Hi Chubby,

Yes, Jean is really tough. After bargaining, I only got 35% parking, along with an additional night of stay (Tower wing though). What I was happy to have though was to be able to change my free bottle of wine per table for free corkage + extra barrel of beer. Although the offer is poor vis-a-vis other hotels, but then again, it is Shang afterall...

Bubblegumz: I am gg to pay the deposit this weekend... it is 20% and non-refundable. Thus, it is actually a very very big decision.

I am not sure what are the perks in Fullerton but I am sure the food is better at Shang. I attended a wedding each at both Shang and Fullerton in Nov and Shang's food is well superior. U may want to consider this in your decision making.
happy.gif

Esther: Congrats on your forthcoming wedding... U must be feeling really excited! As my wedding is one year away, I have not really started on anything except decide on the date and book the church and Shang for wedding dinner.

yelody

Hi gals,
I would like to check which florist do u choose?
I'm still deciding which florist to choose.....My AD is in Jan 08.

I'm most worried about the centrepiece for guest table cos' we're opting for a side portion serving.....thus centrepiece for the guest table is quite impt to us.

glamourous2309

Hi All,

Happy New Year! Just to keep all posted on the lastest rates for 2008 since its approaching....

For 2008:
Weekdays - $938++ per table
Fri & Sun - $1038++ per table
Saturday - $1088++ per table

For 2009, there has been an increase of $250-$300++, dependent on the day of your wedding.
In case some of you may be wondering how much are the rates for 2009.

For 2009, the rates are as follows:
Weekdays - $1188++ per table
Fri & Sun - $1288++ per table
Saturday - $1388++ per table

tulips02

Hi All,
I just want to compliment to shangri La on a job well done for my wedding.
Melanie is fantastic. I love her to bits.
It really a perfect wedding for me at Shangri La.

Hope u gals enjoy ur big day, i know i did.

vancity

Hi Glamourous!
Where did you get this info:
For 2008:

I am having my wedding at Shang and it is on weeday. per table is 1188++.

glamourous2309

Hi 04Square,

From my last check with Shang, the rates are for the Year of 2008 only. Valid till 31st December 2008.
For 2008:

The rates for 2009 are as follows:
For 2009:
Weekdays - $1188++ per table
Fri & Sun - $1288++ per table
Saturday - $1388++ per table

Could they have furnished you with the 2009 rates instead? When is your AD?

iruka428

hi gals! i'm a oct 08 BTB. actually i'm gonna sign the contract with shang this evening. coordinator is veronica.
is there anyone here with the same coordinator as me?

missdaffy

Hi Janet,

I'm quite surprised you're only signing the contract now... how long did you hold the tentative booking for?

My coordinator is Melanie, haven't sign the contract yet tho... if there is no need to sign so fast, then maybe I won't rush into it so soon as my AD is march next year.

iruka428

hi missdaffy, we've only decided to get married jus last xmas. din hav much choice coz most hotels were almost fully booked for october 08 then. veronica gave us ard 2 weeks to confirm but maybe becoz mine is a friday so not much competition as compared to a sat?! :p heard that all saturdays in october are really HOT dates!
i mus say i'm quite lucky looking at how late we were while everyone else had booked the place at least a year in advance. (^_^;;)
btw, my AD is 10th oct. when is yours?

iruka428

hi glamourous, shang gave us the old price as we first contacted them just before their price revision :p i'm taking the silver menu at the price of S$1038++. we will be topping up cash and changing some of the dishes as they had been the same for the past few years.

veronica is quite stiff with perks i mus say... we negotiated for the usual stuff like additional nite stay, free corkage, etc... tried negotiating for pre-dnr snacks in exchange for the wedding cake as we are bringing in our own but she absolutely refused... sigh...

actually, we still hav room for negotiation coz shang still couldn't get the contract done up in time for us last nite... our deadline to sign the contract was a week ago... my FH is getting pretty annoyed with their "often" uncontactable status most of the time. anyone else has these frustrations?

glamourous2309

Hi Janet,

Your AD on 10th October? Nice date and easy remember too. =) Btw, just to clarify on the above rates I've furnished (for the benefit of all BTB reading this thread), the rates of $1038++ U r paying for Friday is valid thru 31st December 2008. So anyone holding in 2008, will enjoy same rates.

Shang has a practise... If one holds their wedding before CNY the following year, the rates is the same. For example, if one hold the wedding in Jan 2009 (Before CNY), the rates is the same as 2008 rates.

So the additional perks you have neg for additional night stay and free corkage for wine only?

Wah, I thought U guys went down sign the contract last nite? What happened?
I do agree with you in some sense about their "uncontactable" status.... I guess they are busy meeting potential clients? hmmm. But I also heard they have coordinators help them with the admin/ paperwork? true?

cactus_79

Hi, I was a Sept 07 Shang bride. just to share my experience. My coordinator was Melanie and Veronica was helping her out with paperwork. I'm not sure if Veronica is newly promoted in a way, and handling clients by herself now. If so, maybe she's still new at her job and trying to cope, therefore may appear uncontactable most of the time?

missdaffy

Hi Janet,

Mine's in 8 Mar 2009.

I find Melanie very cool and shuang kuai. She threw in the perks mentioned in this forum w/o us having to negotiate at all. To think hubby and me wrote out a long list of things to bargain for which wasn't put into use at all. Shang is very generous in terms of perks, not like most other hotels which are so "gei gao" (calculative).

bubblegumz

Hi all,

mine AD is Dec 08 and coordinator is Jean... She's a pretty nice lady to deal with. Seems like everyone is talking about veronica, has jean left?

missdaffy

Hi Glamourous,

its as per what is usually mentioned in this forum like 2 nights stay, corkage waiver, helpers room, 100% invitation cards, use of function room for ROM solemnization, 40% parking coupons. That's all I can recall for now.

What's your package/perks like? Anything that you guys got that we didn't have?

Any ex Shang brides opt for individual portion serving? Me and hubby want to do it this way but worry that the guests may have to wait longer to be served.

ybbubippah

Hi Missdaffy,

u have corkage waiver??? i thot shang never have this tradition of waiving corkages?

omg...my package has to pay for corkage charges lahz...and its my concern that it is going to be a huge sum overall..

my coordinator is also jean...i dont think she has left lahz...the last i contacted her was in jan this year...

iruka428

hi Glamourous,

We notified Veronica before CNY that we are planning to sign the contract on 14th instead of 11th as we planned to go Shang to celebrate Valentine's Day. My FH emailed and left messages for her to confirm and only on the 14th itself at ard 5pm then she called us to say her director has not been in town to verify the contract and she herself will be on leave from 15th for a week. the next possible date to sign the contract is after the 25th... we nearly wanted to change the coordinator. my bro's wedding was at Shang 2 years back and they had Melanie as coordinator. they are full of praise for Melanie. but becoz Veronica responded to us first so we decided to stick with her... hopefully things will get better...

iruka428

hi missdaffy

how did u managed to negotiate for 100% invitation cards? we've only managed to get 70%. heehee! shall haunt veronica for the these estra perks :p

glamourous, my perks are the same as missdaffy except for the invitation cards and carpark which is the usual 35%. other than that, we are still thinking of ways to get more perks from Shang (^-^;;)

iruka428

hi ylbbubippah, we gotten the corkage waiver after promising Shang we will buy 2 barrels of beer from them and we do not take the free 1 bottle of wine per guranteed table. however your hard liqour should not have any corkage charge except they have to be duty paid...

btw, is jean the manager for their department? coz whenever my FH called, it's either the manager or the answering machine :D

glamourous2309

Hi Janet,
I thought the package would have included 1 barrel of beer and 1 bottle of wine per guranteed table? So in this case, U guys swop for a full corkage waiver of wine, but have to pay for 2 barrels of beer in return??

Hi Missdaffy,
Have you manage to sort things out with Shang already? Your contract drafted? =)

glamourous2309

Dear ALL Shang BTB OR EX-Shang Brides,

Have U guys requested for a swop of dishes before? that means silver swop for Gold?

What are the dishes that U guys have swopped before?

How many dishes do Shang allow for swop?

missdaffy

Hi Glamourous,

We were told before that dish exchange from Silver to Gold is possible for dishes from/after(you need to check again)the fish dish. The first few dishes before the fish dish cannot be upgraded. Hope this helps!
happy.gif
)

Yea.. gonna draft the email now.. teehee!

iruka428

Hi Glamourous,
We are expecting around 500+ guests and most of them can drink. average estimate is always at least 2 barrels of beer on top of the wines and hard liqour brought. this is according to my bro and brides tho... anyone else has any other thoughts in this?!

iruka428

hi gals,

we are definitely replacing some of the dishes in our silver menu. veronica suggested that we change and swop them after the food-tasting 3 months before AD.

it also really depends wat are the dishes you will be swopping for. my bro had to top up cash for "better" ingredients dishes. and lateral swopping within the same category menu is allowed but not sure about swopping between 2 different categories...

let me know if any of u managed to swop successfully kay!!! gd luck gals!

iruka428

Hi Glamourous

Yup, if I want to swop between the silver and gold menus, I'll need to top up. we'll see how the dishes fare during the food tasting then decide.

I did "complain" to Veronica that they need to change their dishes as they had been the same 2 years back. half of my guests will be the same as 2 years back, and not counting they might have been to Shang wedding dnr a couple of times in between. i'm actually having quite a headache trying to be creative for mine :p

sad to say, i did contemplate changing my coordinator to Melanie (which my bro worked with), but afraid will cause unnecessary unhappiness among them... dilemmna dilemma dilemma... anyone has any experience in changing coordinator successfully?

glamourous2309

Hi Janet,

I think the coordinators are assigned according to the surname of Groom... But I'm not sure what's the arrangement like among the team in Shang. Perhaps U can check with them and see what they say?

BTW, What's your msn at? =)

iruka428

Glamourous, if this is the case, then those assigned with surname Tan n Lin will be VERY busy! (^_^;;) anyway, might ask my sis-in-law to help coz she seems to be still in touch wif Melanie...

u can add me @ [email protected]
but hor, i hardly log in... :D

glamourous2309

Hi Janet,

I've added U to my msn. See you there!
Otherwise, you can PM me too. =)

I hope things turn out well for you yeah.
But I must admit that Melanie is such a dear!

ybbubippah

hi janet, i dont think jean is the overall manager for that department..

anyway, have u girls settled on the theme of your wedding???

glamourous2309

Hi Pei Yan,

To my understanding, that's more for Rasa Sentosa, not Shang rite..... Heard there will be additional perks if with sign up with them that day. But basically, the package and pricing are different for both Shangri-La and Rasa Sentosa.