JP - Chan Kai Yau

flora_bliss

Hi,

I heard Mr Chan don't do solemnization on Sunday?
Is it true?

Mine's gonna be on a Sunday evening say around 8pm. I really hope to get him.

its_meiyee

Puroland,
The other time when i called Mr Chan to invite him as our solemniser, he told us that we do not have to do anything until 3 months to the wedding where we'll need to call him again to get his license number as well as to have a short meet up for him to sign the papers. =) Hope this helps to give you a rough idea!

pigmit

hi flora,

I've invited Mr Chan as my soleminiser nxt mth on a sunday. U juz hv to chk with him if he's able to do for u on the date u want. He's a very nice man indeed!
happy.gif

puroland

I managed to contact Mr Chan for his lisence no. He say I can efile first he will call me later date to arrange to meet up and pass me the consent letter.

By the way, do our 2 witnesses have to go with us to collect the doc from ROM for the verification?

rayne

That's what Mr Chan told us too...we contacted him a month before our ROM then met him up to sign the consent form. Don't worry, according to the counter girl at the ROM, he's very popular...so dun worry about him not having a hp...

puroland, you do not need the 2 witnesses to go with you to collect the ROM docs...you only need to bring copies of their IC and a copy of your e-filing instructions. Advisable to go real early cos alot of ppl have to take queue no.

cacs

hi

hav just tried calling mr chan but not ard,
anyone can advise hw come i cant find his name in the list at rom site?

bridesept08

Hi Charmaine,

You can tried calling him ard 12pm-1pm or alternatively 4pm onwards.
His name not at ROM site meh? I had e-file already, i saw his name, perhaps you can try again.

dolphin48

Hi, happen to chance upon this thread.

Flora, I had Mr Chan as my solemnizer on a sunday at 1.30pm which was last year. He's ok as long as it doesn't clash with his church schedule. And it happens that his church is near my solemnization place so he agreed to come at 1.30pm.
He is really a nice guy and very grandfatherly kind of feeling to me....

kokoyln

my JP was Mr Chan too 3yrs ago.. a nice, friendly elder. he told us abt how he becomes a JP and wat marraige is about. bilingual so it was a good choice..

happy_ger

I already booked Mr Chan KY for my ROM in Dec! He told me to call him up again to ask for his license number to efile in Sept....Really looking forword to our ROM day!

pigmit

hi flora,

His church service will ends abt 6.30pm. FYI... we attend the same church. Juz need to chk wif him if he's alrite wif your timing. Hope tis helps.
happy.gif

benbenfish

Hi,
We are new here..
we Have book with Mr Chan and he confirm our invitation to be our solemnizer. but there is a need to meet up with him to send a form. we dono when will be the time we shoud call him to meet up as our ROM will be on 06.10.2007. can we call him now or he will contact us?

poohwed

Hi Yayu,

Don't worry. Mr Chan will call you to meet up 3weeks to 1 mth in advance..

Mr Chan had just solemise my ROM last week. Thumb up for his service.. He had made our guest very happy with his speech and had given us a memorable moment..

hitsubi

Hi Yayu,
I am getting solemnized the same day as you as well.
May I know what time your solemnization will be?

Hi Pooh Bear
My HTB just called Mr Chan to like double confirm that he really has us down on his list, but he didnt sound very happy very the phone. Well, I heard that he is stern over the phone but very nice in person. I experienced the stern-ness when I spoke to him previously too.

Can I clarify something? Am a bit confused.
after e-filing, we will actually need to wait for ROM to reply with a consent letter before we meet up with Mr Chan is it?
Coz I currently have already completed the consent form (downloaded from ROM website) which Mr Chan needs to sign. are those 2 different documents?
Thanks!

benbenfish

Hi, hitsubi,
Ours will be on 3pm. Wat’s urs?
Anyway, u have called him? Even he sound not that happy, but did he confirm a date and time with you to sign the form? As you said he is nice in person. Is that means you have met him before already?

benbenfish

Hi Hitsubi,

Ops, i have mistaken ur msg. pls ignore my previous msg.
our ROM is on 3pm. how abt yrs?
As u mentioned that he sound ok, then we can contact Mr Chan to double confirm with the appointment as well? Did you make a appointment to meet up with him to sign to form already or he say still early to meet up?
thought after e-filing, the ROM will provide you a date and time to go down to there to have a 'pre-solmnisation', on that day you have to bring the form which you let Mr Chan to sign as well as u and HTB' IC. think tt's all? is there still other form which we have missed out?

hitsubi

Hi Fish,

Oh, ours is at 11.45am.
He usually sounds quite stern over the phone I guess, but some hv assured that he's a nice man in person. No, he said he will call us, so very scared to call him again. He wasn't very happy when my HTB called him last night, he mentioned that it was still early.

Yes, I have that instruction on when to go down for verification at ROM already.

Oh, that means no more other letters la, just bring the solemnizer consent form which we downloaded from the website to meet Mr Chan & let him sign ah. I dunno leh, I blur blur also. Coz Mr Chan asked my HTB last night whether we got a reply from ROM. Then we blur lor, only got tt instruction and computerized acknowledgement what. Nothing else... Well... will wait a bit & see...

benbenfish

Hi Hitsubi,
ok, which means he will still call you in 1mth or 3 weeks before the ROM. let's wait together ba. if either one get the call from Mr Chan, we gonna post to let each other know immediately wor.. haha..
anyway, where you get ur ROM dress ya? Mind to let me know where u have ur ROM?

poohwed

Dear all,

Yes, Mr Chan sound stern over the phone.. But when you meet up with him, you will found that he is a very nice elderly.. He is very friendly and like to advise on the meaning of marriage..

Don't worry.. Mr Chan is very famous of his professional service. Once he ask you for ur contact no. means he had write down in his diary and agreed to be ur solemniser.. Unless he told u immediately that he is nOt able to make it when u call him for the first time.

If u have call him > 3 mths in advance, he will ask u to call him again nearer to that date to get his JP lisence no. Then, u can do the e-filling. Once u have done that, u shld receive an email from ROM to confirm that u have successfully book for ur date. This is meant bu Mr Chan if ROM had reply u.
The next thing will be jus wait for Mr Chan to call you to meet up. For me, Mr Chan call me 3 weeks b4 my ROM. U can download the consent form from ROM website. If u don't, it still fine cos Mr Chan will bring some form with him when he meet up with u all.. Mr Chan will meet up with couple at the Borders...

Once u done e-filling, u will be given a date to go to ROM building to collect ur cert. Jus bring along ur witness photocopy passport/NRIC, instruction notice, JP signed consent form, and both groom and bride have to be there..

After u have collected ur cert, MUST remember to give a call to Mr Chan to confirm ur booking. If u fail to do this, Mr Chan will assume that u had cancel the appointment.

Hope the info is useful..
All the best!

benbenfish

Hi Pooh Bear,
Wah, really appreciate for your detailed informations. It really gives us a clearer pictures on everything. Thanks thanks.

hitsubi

Hi Fish
Yes, Mr Chan said he'll call us again but he didn't say when. Ok ok, once he calls I will post. Hehe!

Oh, I am not having the traditional customary dinner, so mine is jsut solemnization followed by a lunch reception. So I have no ROM dress per se. I am holding my ROM at Changi Village Hotel. Yourself?

Hi Pooh Bear,
Thanks so much for sharing! =)
Aiyo feel so good after hearing from you! =)
The reply means the automated system acknowledgement reply then... Initially I thot that it's like an official reply that is not automated...
Thanks again!!

noxy

Hi Ladies, how long in advance do you need to call Mr. Chan to book him? (before the JP license number)

poohwed

Hi Noxy,

If u'r booking for a "Hot Date", try to contact JP earlier to secured your appointment.. I book Mr Chan 4mths in advance..

noxy

Hi Pooh Bear, Thanks!

Really hope that he has not retired by the time I need him to be my JP.

He's the best JP I've ever seen. You are really lucky to have him as your JP

cloud0829

Thanks all for posting on this thread. With your recommendation, I called Mr Chan and he is available on my wedding day :D

kovan_gal

Hi Fish Hu

May i know wat is the pricing for Orcahrd Hotel ROM package, cos i nw sourcing for various hotel ROM package.

Thanks.

lettingo

mine was Mr Chan...
he made my ROM really enjoyable & memorable with his jokes..
my ROm was a small-scale one, with only 20 guests, very closed friends and Family. But he managed to bring life to it... really appreciate that. He is a humourous uncle.... strongly recommend him if you looking for a solemniser.

benbenfish

Hi, kovan_gal
The package for Orchard Hotel is around 1K for 1st 30 guests and after 1st 30 guests will be $40 per person. (includes of foods, free flows of drinks and room arrangement) There will be one night stay in the hotel and special room prices for your guest who wish to stay on the night.
You may contact Elleen, she is a very nice lady.

princess_fifi

Hi Hui,

I am also deciding to get Mr Chan as my JP.
Can you forward me his picture?
Can he also have the speech in both chinese & English?

Thanks

princess_fifi

Hi gals,

Help... i cant find a JP.
I called up Mr Chan, Mr Koh & even Prof Yu and three of them are fully booked on my day and the timing i need
sad.gif

Can anyone recommand me another other JP who is good, friendly and humorous?
I need someone biliguial (English & Chinese)

Thanks

rene2803

ladies, need yr help... gotta efile today but unable to get hold of Mr Chan over the phone to ask for his licence no.

Can someone pls provide the no.?

fruitypeach

Dear all, read many good reviews about Mr Chan!
Though I do not know to what extend is his service different from the rest that makes him so popular...

I am currently looking for a JP too.
My ROM will be held in end Dec this year.
Is it too early to call him?
Since I can't do my e-filing till next month.
Cos like wad some of you mentioned, he will still ask you to contact him 3 months before your ROM if you make early appointment with him.