How to Annul a Marriage in sg

well hui fen it is because both of them found out that they made the wrong decision.

or one just can't get along with the another.

many reason, after ROM discovered that husband no sex drive.

after ROM then found out that the other part is keeping something from him/her

cannot tahan the family of the spous. meaning conflict with FIL.MIL

lots of things. so annul is the best and easiest, shortest path to end a marriage. because after 1 year, u cannot annul anymore

stress1984

Hi, anyone can help me?
I n partner got rom in 2008 Aug, Lawyer did not told us that we can Annul and we sign our seperation deed in Nov 09.

Currently can i still apply for Annul and how about our HDB flat??

texasholdem

after one yr still can annul. declared u have not consumate the marriage. blame either party for refusal of consumation of marriage.

As long as both agrees that the marriage is not consumated, can annul no matter after how long...

If u get a lawyer to file an annulment, u will first give ur statement to the lawyer. Ur lawyer will then serve a writ to your partner and ask ur partner to sign. U will then need to appear in court to tell d judge that u did not consumate. If ur partner is not present on that day or even if he is present, and if he doesnt contest your statement, the judge will grant an annulment straight away. Once u annul, HDB will ask u to sell ur flat in the open market (if after 5 yrs of occupency) or surrender ur flat at 80% of the market price to HDB. HDB will not allow u to keep the flat any further becos the family unit has been broken.

by the way, there is no need to blame another for refusal of consumation...

u can just say that both agree only to consumate after customary, etc. If u go to the lawyer, u will be the proposer of the annulment. There is no need for the judge or anyone to seek any statement from your partner. As long as your partner does not contest, the judge will take ur statement. Ur lawyer will get someone to go to your partner's hse and hand him a letter stating the date on which u will be in court. He has the choice to be there or not. Best is that he doesnt appear

d_ambre

Let's say after ROM then I found out he has huge debt and doesn't want to have sex, can I annual the marriage?

lim_hock_seng

My wife said she would put up a statement for annulment of our marriage a week ago.

However, she refuses to reveal whether she has engaged a lawver to commence the legal proceeding to annul the marriage.

Is there a way for me to find out whether she has engaged a lawyer to commence the legal proceeding to annul the marriage?

How soon will I be notified if she has engaged a lawyer to commence the legal proceeding to annul the marriage?

lim_hock_seng

Please help:
(3) If the statement for annulment of marriage is slanderous from my point of view, do I have to put it right?
(4) If I attempt to put it right, will it result in delaying the annulment of marriage?
(5) Do I need the service of a lawyer to put the statement not slanderous to me?
(6) If I do not attempt to put it right, will it in anyway affect my good name in future?

lim_hock_seng

(7) If a marriage is annulled, will any certificate of annulment of marriage be issued? Or else how to know a marriage is annulled?

My email address is [email protected]

Any person who is kind enough to help me are welcome to email to me.

U will be given something called Decree Nisi Absolute which states that the marriage is annuled. Ur marriage cert will also be confiscated by court

ninz

Hi,

You can go to the law firm to apply for annulment, however both parties must consent to it. If one object, then you have to file for separation for three years and divorce.

Legal Fees for Annulment usually cost around 2k-3k.

sm1ley

Hi,
I just did ROM and customary this mid of July and wanted to do annulment to my wedding. Can you help me to give the lawyer no that I can contact to my email? My email is [email protected].
Thanks

caelitus

I got married in Oct 11. My wife is seeking an annulment. We bought a HDB flat under the Fiance/Fiancee (FF) scheme. The keys have not been collected.

From the HDB website, I understand that under the FF scheme, if the family unit breaks down, no one is allowed to retain the flat. Retention is only allowed if parents were originally listed in the application.

I will like to ask if anyone has successfully appealed to HDB to retain a flat post-annulment?

scopefun

I am not sure about HDB rules, but one thing I'm quite sure is when there is annulment (less than a year hence owning the flat), it'd be impossible to expect to retain the flat.

There is a good reason why, cos annulment, unlike divorce, can be done more easily and if people try to cheat by buying a flat under the scheme through ganging up, there will be a problem.

So I doubt you'd make the appeal.

scopefun

The judge will decide. Otherwise, it usually goes with the mother. If the mother is not able to care for the child, it goes to the Dad...

caelitus

She has requested me to let her go if I care for her. My appointment with her lawyer is on 16 Nov. I will sign whatever she has put down in her statement. I feel very drained and listless. I asked her, "How about me and what I want?". That is my problem, I was told.

Is a single appointment with the lawyer the one and final action required?

If im not wrong, for annulment the party file for annulment will have to appear in court together with the lawyer... is there anyway not to appear in court?

caelitus

I was advised by the HDB case manager to appeal only after I have received the annulment judgement. If I pull out now, it will be considered as a failure to complete the purchase thereby attracting a 5% penalty.

As the government will announce new housing measures for singles in early 2013, I may have a stronger case for appeal.

Finally, this is it. Tomorrow is the day. As much I refuse to quit on our marriage and am affected by the breakdown, she insisted that she is happier in separation. Therefore, I must do what I must. In response to Voodoo Doll, I was informed that I will have to see a Commissioner of Oath tomorrow.

Love is like a rubber band held by two people. It hurts when one leaves.

caelitus

I went to the lawyer's office on 16 Nov. Reading the Statement of Facts made me feel very sad that my wife wrote it in such a manner. I read it again and again and wonder how she could have come up with it. I was advised by a lawyer friend not to sign it as it could be prejudicial towards me. After a flurry of messages between the wife and me, I signed it. In my heart I know if I want her to be happy, I should set her free. That would mean that I will be very unhappy but better to have 1 party that suffers rather than 2?

I took leave that day. Decided I should take the public transport instead of driving. In Aug 12, when I was using the car, my mind blanked out and I knocked down a 72 year old lady. Fortunately, she suffered only minor injuries. Walked from the lawyer's place at Bugis to Raffles City to meet an ex-colleague for lunch. Took a slow walk to Plaza Singapura for a solitary cup of coffee and remembered the days when my wife would be thrilled by milk tea. Opened my SRS account and thought about the plans we had together, to retire together. Walked then to Tanglin, pausing to remember the memories we shared.

Fast forward to today. 21 Dec was the court hearing. I did not attend as I chose not to contest it. When I received the letter from the Subordinate Courts, I asked her why of all days she had to pick the day before my birthday. It was hurting that my marriage would be ending the day before my birthday. She did not reply me except to say that I need not turn up.

I have requested and was granted discharge from both my psychiatrist and counselor. It was time to stop taking my medicine and learn to stand on my own 2 feet. It was also time to move away from my counseling sessions and find it within myself to accept what has happened.

How would life be for me in the future? I can only close my eyes and visualise. As of now, I still treat her as my wife and would honour the promises I made to take care of her and her family when I married her. Till the day, I receive in the post notification that I am no longer married, she will always be my missus and her family my family.

infojunkie

it's natural to mourn over lost love and i think u need it before getting on the road to recovery...

just be sure to drive carefully.

60secs

Most people after getting married do not keep in touch with their friends anymore. Hence the need for psychiatrist and counselor to share the pain because they have no one else to turn to.

What you need now is company. Go find back some of your old friends. You have plenty of time now to start enjoying life as a single.

meimei1601

Hi all, seeing the story makes me very sad as well. My ex husband discuss to end our marriage after 4mths of ROM, reason was due to an unknown future he doesnt have fate to it. He bringing in all the past we have disagreement before as an excuse. And saying its stress and it draining him on the wedding preparation. He forgotten all the happiness we have been thru, but only recall all the bad.

Its painful... and till now since July 13, he told me of the annulment he decide. I am still in the stage of confusion. Been into depression that I couldnt sleep, but crying almost every night before sleep.

We need a closure. Like calitus mentioned, if its make the other half happier, than we have no choice but to let go.

Well.. everyone ask the same question. Why ROM at the first place? This is the question I wanted to ask him as well. Its not like we are blind date and only get to know the person the day we ROM. We go thru all the thick and thin together.

The problem is... everyone is stress. No couple ever been together without a fight, quarrel or disagreement. But its how we cherish the relationship and make things work. Marriage is a journey not a destination. If problem occur, we should face them together and work things out. Not unless the other party is being abusive..

The reason he given is and I agree is of cos, not willing to consummate after marriage. The letter is usually draft by the lawyer and the plaintiff will read thru and sign if agree. The worst part is that the lawyer mentioned I willfully reject the consummate becos customary wedding is practice yet.. I believe this point is weak to give me a bad name.

Its really painful, its hurt... And I still feeling the pain everyday, every hour, every min...

Hi all, seeing the story makes me very sad as well. My ex husband discuss to end our marriage after 4mths of ROM, reason was due to an unknown future he doesnt have fate to it. He bringing in all the past we have disagreement before as an excuse. And saying its stress and it draining him on the wedding preparation. He forgotten all the happiness we have been thru, but only recall all the bad.

Its painful... and till now since July 13, he told me of the annulment he decide. I am still in the stage of confusion. Been into depression that I couldnt sleep, but crying almost every night before sleep.

We need a closure. Like calitus mentioned, if its make the other half happier, than we have no choice but to let go.

Well.. everyone ask the same question. Why ROM at the first place? This is the question I wanted to ask him as well. Its not like we are blind date and only get to know the person the day we ROM. We go thru all the thick and thin together.

The problem is... everyone is stress. No couple ever been together without a fight, quarrel or disagreement. But its how we cherish the relationship and make things work. Marriage is a journey not a destination. If problem occur, we should face them together and work things out. Not unless the other party is being abusive..

The reason he given is and I agree is of cos, not willing to consummate after marriage. The letter is usually draft by the lawyer and the plaintiff will read thru and sign if agree. The worst part is that the lawyer mentioned I willfully reject the consummate becos customary wedding is practice yet.. I believe this point is weak to give me a bad name.

Its really painful, its hurt... And I still feeling the pain everyday, every hour, every min...

You would have to agree to that if you want to annul the marriage. Even if you are not the party who does not want to consumate the marriage, do you see it is better to annul or still stay together?

meimei1601

Hi worriedsick,

If both parties cherish each other and still wanting to stay together, of cos, find a way to work things out. For my case. He told me I am wasting his time whether I want to talk things out. His head is all about his work, his family and I am always the problem maker... And every time a problem surface, he chose to escape from it and refuse to recognize it and settle it by communication, therefore by agreeing with what he stated makes it easier to void the marriage. Unless I have something u wants to claim from him (money, house, kids etc) than of cos I will hv to engage a lawyer to fight for my rights and protection. But there is nothing I want to get from it, for us, its pretty easy. Therefore.. I seek my lawyer friend advice, don't waste money engaging one; just agree with what he draft on the lawyer letter.

Of cos its not truth about the consummate thingy... Its a big fat lie that he used to get things done. And this was advice by his lawyer. And one of the best and faster way to get us out from this relationship.

By him being the plaintiff he will need to go to the court hearing, swear his lies, and vows for his lies... Me being the defendant... I have nothing to say.. Therefore I just agree with it, at this very moment... "Face" doesn't really matter... but my future does.

I didn't agree with the annulment. But he told me if I dont agreed on it, He will still get a lawyer for 1 side divorce which will bring us 3 yrs of separation and 4th yr it will be automatically divorce no matter I agree or not. However, if I do so.. I will become a divorcee on the 4th yr, But If I agree on annulment, I will gain back my "single" statues. From this.. and his attitude which take marriage so lightly and treat it like a joke, I don't anyone at my position would not chose to agree on annulment of our marriage.

meimei1601, a door close is another that will open some where. What said is said and what done is done.

Always believe in finding out earlier than later. The pain, frustration and hurt is definite, but not as bad as many years down with kids and all then decide, it'll hurt even more.

Look forward now and be happy. Take a step at a time and the good days will come soon!

meimei1601

Yes... I agree with it. And I am growing stronger everyday. He is not worth taking me down. If he wants to live a life with "happy married, not happy divorce" than be it. I am out of it.

I also believe in karma and I know it will happen one day.

kitlyn

me and my husband ROM on 26 July 2013 and we wish to annul it. can i ask do we need a lawyer to process this? He keep telling me that we do no need to have a lawyer to do.

you'll need a lawyer to do so
I don't know why I cannot edit my own post after posting from Android but I'll just like to add that you can choose to annul marriage on your own but you would need to learn the process on your own and if you make a mistake during the process, you might be paying dearly for something that cannot be done. Worse of all, you might get sued by your ex-spouse if the agreement and reasoning is not clear. Judge would also ask you to go to court to explain if the reasoning in the writ of divorce is not clear and you would need to pay for court session.

It is not possible to annual > 1 year after ROM. The govt don't bother about customary date, they look at your ROM date.

Well, best is to consult the lawyer. Apparently, one lawyer was sharing that this "one year rule" is not cast in stone. The main considerations are whether consummation had taken place and what factors brought about the need to annul the marriage. There have been cases where even up to 2 years (from ROM date) also can annul, but these are due to (very) exceptional circumstances.

That's why we pay the lawyer a fee to do legal work.