Conrad Centennial Singapore

mintee

summerrain~~ Congrats on your wedding!!
kao_cheers.gif

berbers

hi ozbride,

thanks for ur advice! my wedding's in early July so i suppose i'm better off parting with the big amount for a few more days and save few hundreds from the gst increase... wonder if conrad will entertain that though =)

ozbride

glad to help berber ;) and congrats!

might as well make the payment since just couple of weeks difference.. don't see why they will refuse $$$

but do take care that a lot of couples use the payment as a 'motivation' for good service... some cases if you pay already (and if they are unprofessional) their service level may slip
don't think they will be so evil though.. it's your wedding after all ;)

coco_mybibi

hi berber,

I doubt they will entertain such thought cos your wedding is on Jul and will enter as a transaction in Jul. The gst is paid to the govt and not conrad and so they follow what the govt has set. This is what I have asked my coordinator before.

Hi summerrain,
Congrats to you. May I ask when you are being upgraded to Presidential Suite, you get to stay 2 nights or 1 night only?

ozbride

i'm very disappointed with their level of service and professionalism.

as a luxury brand hotel and being in the hotelling industry, i expect a satisfactory work attitude, response and response time
alas, i'd say it's nothing short of horrendous so don't be surprised if there are more people selling off their conrad packages!

summerrain

hi pple,
wow...so many comments coming in. anyway...for your info, Conrad allowed our guests to throw real white rose petals on us during our march in but u have to liaise with your coodinator in advance. but overall, the service is good. if anyone wants to look at our AD pics, can post me a msg here.

Hi Oz,
we had only 24 tables for out AD which is on sat so i paid for the extra 1 table...mine was the standard package.my wedding coordinator was Lolita who is the director...its a long story..previously was another lady but due to some service issue, lolita took over our case but she is very good n professional....happy that she took over.

hi mintee,
thanks for the wishing!

hi coco, we did not ask for a upgrade..it was given to us on the actual day when we check in the hotel...we actually changes the extra 1 nite for wine...so we stayed 1 nite but then we really love the presidential suite...abt 70% of the guests came up to view the presidential suite. u may wan to ask ur coordinator if she can upgrade ur rm if the presidential suite is available on your AD?

aprik

hi Ladies,

Anyone had wedding lunch at Conrad?
I attended wedding at Conrad b4 and love the ambience. unfortunately, on all the dates we requested, dinner is not available anymore.
So hv to settle with lunch.

Anyone experienced b4?

Thanks!

ozbride

hi summerrain

thanks for your info
can i check who your ex-coordinator is.. cos i'm also having some issues with them..
pls pm me
thanks!

moopo

Hi summerrain,

Congrats to you!
kao_cheers.gif
This world is really so small, coz i attended my friend's wedding at Conrad on 27 Jan 07...heheheh! So you are the 28 Jan bride.

Hi there to all Conrad brides & brides-to-be!
happy.gif
Was busy with work lately so didn't really keep track with this thread for the last few weeks! And yeah! it is active now again! So happy to hear all your comments! hehee!

I am currently negotiating some of the items with Conrad before i decide if i really wanna sign up with them. My will be on a Sat too, but they are not able to give me a day room (for jie meis), but i read from the forum that some people actually managed to get a free helper's room. And of coz more corkage wavier as well.

Oh! Their auto upgrade you to the Presidential Suite??? WOW! That's so nice! You are so lucky, coz my friend's was only given the Centennial Suite for 2 nights (according to contract)....and as for me, it is also stated Centennial Suite for 2 nights....wonder how can i get them to upgrade for me to Presidential suite too leh....hehhehe! is the room alot different as compared to Centennial Suite? Coz i never seen or been to the Presidential suite before. heheheh!

By the way i also find it quite hard to negotiate things with Conrad...coz they are too inflexible liao, too rigid and they just keep on saying they are the top 5 luxury hotel..blah blah blah...etc.. So now i really have to cross my fingers & pray hard i will get what i want. ahahah!

Yup Yup! I am interested to see your AD pics, can you share with me? Can you PM your AD pics to me?? Thank you so much dear!
kao_smile.gif

mintee

hey summerrain, I asked my coordinator b4 whether can get a room upgrade, but she said it's contingent on actual day availability. Nonetheless, in your case where you didn't request but they upgrade you automatically, I think that's really a service thumbs up!
bounce.gif

Btw gals, I'm going for food tasting soon. Any recommendations on what dessert is good? They have the mango puree and mashed taro that sound interesting to me. I'm also thinking of having the traditional teochew yam paste (not in std menu but coord say can request). What do you gals think?
happy.gif

moopo

hi mintee,

I tried the Chilled Mashed Taro with Sago Gingko Nuts and Coconut Cream at my friend wedding recently....and it taste yucky...coz if you are a lover for the traditional warm yam paste, for sure you will not like this chilled taro...it taste so weird!
uhoh.gif
Mashed taro dont taste nice when cold, and it is watery kind hor, not those sticky sticky type... For me it is a no no!
nono.gif
heheheh!

Oh ya! my coordinator recommended me the Chilled Mango Puree with Pearl Sago, Strawberry, Bursts of Pomelo & Coral weeds....She say it is their top dessert...(but duno how nice coz i never tried that before)... hhehehe!

I also ask her if we can change to the traditional yam paste and she say can. So i guess you have to think carefully what dessert most ur guests would like...coz my relatives are mostly teochew, i tink i will go for the traditional yam paste.
kao_smile.gif

callaway

I've had the privilege to have attended several weddings at the Conrad so I'll just drop some of my experiences down here.
happy.gif

1) Dessert options
- I personally preferred the tangyuans. I'm not into Mashed Taro at all so I skipped that altogether. The yam paste got a thumbs up from my parents.

2) Upgrades
- I understand that the upgrade is based on availability. So if I were you gals, I would just focus on negotiating for other items.
- Out of the 5 weddings I've attended there, only 1 managed to get an upgrade.
- That said, if you do manage to get an upgrade, the Prez suite is actually extremely spacious and can accomodate a tea ceremony there. It will be hard to double-up as space for your jiemeis though just because there isn't much privacy there.
- The Presidential Suite is about 2x larger than the Centennial suite. There's an additional "living" area which I believe can easily accomodate 30 people or so!

3) GST
- ColourTV, I didn't check with them regarding the GST but I highly doubt they will allow it.
- The good news is the cess will be abolished. The bad news is the abolishment isn't sufficient to dent the GST increase.
sad.gif

Now, on to questions!
- I'm wondering if I should have guests throw flower petals or use those party poppers/confetti. Is the noise a problem for videographers? Do you end up looking very silly with all the confetti on you by the time you get to the stage?

- Does anyone have a lobang for inexpensively priced projectors? Renting from the hotel will cost a bomb and more.

mintee

hey gals, thanks so much for sharing your views! I'm going down for food tasting soon and will update my experience
happy.gif
Unfortuantely I didn't login soon enough, so didn't ask for the yam paste in my food tasting. But going through the thread, seems like no one had any complaints abt yam paste. will bear that in mind. if the dessert is not nice when i try, will change to yam paste for AD.

hi Geraldine - when I went to the Centennial suite, i actually found it very small. Other hotels that i went to all had much bigger suites for the wedding couple. so the conrad one was quite disappointing to me. But since you said the Presidential suite is only 2x bigger, i guess that means generally all the room/suites in conrad are small. guess it's a relatively new hotel in that well built up area, so space is luxury by the time it was built. hehe...

callaway

Hey mintee!

Yes, I have to concur that the size of the suites in Conrad aren't large at all. In fact, if you've done a tour of the other hotels in the vicinity and in the Orchard Rd district, you will be sorely disappointed by the size of the rooms in Conrad.

However, I assume that it's mostly because Conrad caters to the business, not leisure traveller. Therefore having a large room isn't necessary. It also explains why they do not allow more than 3 people in a room, even children. There just isn't any capacity for it!

staritzz

hi sherrfy,

can i ve the contacts of the projector rental services? do they including sending, installing and collection service of the projector??

staritzz

hi valkwan,

can i know who your coordinator is?

i simply love maran's service, but he has left conrad recently and im passed on to a new coordinator..all that ive discussed with maran has gone with the wind and ive got to repeat the whole process with the new coordinator.

no bad comments for now but i dun wanna be too late to know it

thanks!

[email protected]

staritzz

hey all...

im in admist of choosing my theme colour of the deco of the ballroom...

i attended dreamdoll's wedding and i must say that the black table cloth is simply stunning..its definately a bold n different look altogther..the rich deep red rose she used were lovely...u can definately see that the wedding couple splurge on floral. Beautiful.

i think conrad provides "pathetic" flowers...

in comparison with marriot, intercontinential etc,the hotels that even provides "theme flowers" at no cost, conrad is definately not being competitive.

they keep stressing on that $500 that u ve part with if u wish to ve a different choice of flowers.

i dun think its ridiculous to ask for roses for a wedding banquet in a 5 star hotel.

its not like they provide roses and we ask for peonies.

what they offer is a glass dish with floating white orchids that my mum buys for 50cents a handful for bathing(if u know what i mean; religious reasons)

if only intercontinental has completed their ballroom renovations before i sign up with conrad. sighs..

staritzz

as the topic on recycled flowers, i reckon every hotel does that.

ive been to a full**ton wedding real early for rehearsals for a march in for my frn's wedding, i see the florist peeling off brown petals off the rose and wala! the roses look freshly bloomed.

she then took out the roses from the arrangement and rearrange it on some twiggy branches and TADAH! a new arrangement.

i think its unavoidable. if u run the florist in the hotel,wouldnt u do the same? or u throw all the "still fresh looking" flowers in the bin that was used for one night and use brand new ones?

even the flowers around the lounge area, front desk, information counter all use the flower arrangements for at least 3 days in a row isnt it?

when ve u check in to a hotel, anywhere in the world,that changes the flower arrangements daily??

moreover a wedding banquet merely last for 6 hours.

i guess the best we can do is perhaps to speak to the sunday bride if u are a saturday bride or vice versa.

see if u can work out a sum for the top up of flowers(the same flowers) instead of the hotel charging $500 (or more) TWICE on both couple.

cherishy

Hi,

Would like to know besides wine and projector? What else do we have to top up? What about microphone and sound systems? Pls advise. Thanks.

lilyn22

Hi ladies..
haven't been in this thread for ages as my AD was over in may 2006...actually i had an amazing time with conrad! so thot i'd give my 2 cents worth

they were very frank on what we could negotiate for, in that they could only be flexible on certain things, and on other ones they can't budge, which is fair enuff since they weren't trying to beat around the bush and just focus on getting the sale. we got waiver of 2 bottles wine per table. also, we exchanged the anniversary dinner voucher for day use room. as for food, relatives really liked it! we got the tang yuan dessert, which i thot was better than the taro. We also got upgraded to the prez suite, but i did request that they place in the contract that they will upgrade acc to room availability. the prez suite is FABULOUS and HUGE! i thot the suite they gave to start with was already pretty cosy...in fact, my hubby actually liked centennial suite better than prez suite cuz it was a more intimate feel..better for newly weds, cuz otherwise the family members n friends all think its ok to come up and hang out when u really want some time alone with each other..hehehe..

i think one thing i must really praise them for is their TOP level of service. they were very prompt in getting back to me on things (even tho my coordinator changed 1/2way thru), and when we went for rehearsal we got to meet our banquet manager and go thru our concerns etc. the week before my AD we actually attended a wedding banquet there, and the staff were aware of this and actually asked us for feedback during our meals, if there was anything we wanted to change, etc..for our own AD. they were very good with details, and really listened to us! i had easels up in the reception area, and when one of my friends helped me out by taking one home for me, the banquet manager realised one was missing and called my coordinator in 15 mins to check if this was what i wanted to happen. he was a bit panicked actually, and was going to check with security cameras etc to ensure that there hasn't been a theft! (this was at about 12pm btw) how good is that?
coordinator wise, I was with Jeanie/judy (i don't remember her name anymore..haha!), and she was lovely. came down on our AD on a sunday to make sure everything went smoothly...and made sure we got our upgrade as stated in our contract!

well, hope this helps! i did have a lovely time and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone!

moopo

Hi lyn,

Wow! You are so lucky to get the upgrade to presidential suite! *envy envy*

You mean they actually indicate in the contract you will be upgraded to the presidential suite?? My coordinator didnt even tell us there is a presidential suite in the 1st place, i only came to know in this forum. But when i requested this from them, they say no such thing of upgrading! Why like that one??
kao_angry.gif

About the day room part, we also request for it, but our coordinator told us subject to availability. And we can't even exchange with the anniversary dinner voucher loh!! How come it is so different? Their coordinators there have so different treatment for different couples?? I was so sad!
kao_cry.gif

Imagine i got to book & PAY a room on my own!

Wow! Your coordinator even went down to ur AD???? Lyn you are really a lucky gal! I did ask my coordinator will she be around on my AD, but she told me " No, we don't work on weekends"!!
Can you imagine that? I was like other hotels coordinators will be there on the AD what, all my frds coordinator was there loh, to ensure everything is setup nicely, to make sure nothing goes wrong with the decor and all...etc...etc.
But conrad coordinator dont even bother to come down to make sure our wedding is smooth??!! Weird loh!

Can anyone of you advice me what to do? How can i get things that i want to be stated in the contract in black & white? Haiz...
kao_sad.gif

mintee

moopo, I think as in most other hotels, if you had already signed the contract, it's difficult to add things in your favor thereafter. I also tried asking my coordinator for a day room recently but she wanted me to exchange the anniversary dinner voucher for it. :p I thought a day room is pretty standard for 5* hotels, so am surprised they are so sticky abt it. Mabbe if this was raised during negotiation period, it will be much easier :p

callaway

Hi Moopo,

I think it will be hard to get it included into your contract at this point. However, you can speak to them and see how things work out.

Although coordinators do vary slightly in terms of "treatment", it is not really fair to compare your contract with lyn's contract as hers was negotiated for 2006. (A friend who got married during SARS had such a good deal it will put all of ours to shame!)

I suggest you prioritize what you want and speak to your coordinator.

moopo

Hi mintee,

I did ask for an exchange with the anniversary voucher, but my coordinator say cannot. That's why i am very puzzled how come other couples can but i cannot... sobz!
kao_cry.gif
i already tried & ask but the answer is no.
Yup all other hotels that i went to before signing with conrad all stated in the package that a day room from 3pm-8pm will be given, only conrad dont have such practice & like what you said them being a 5* hotel but yet are so sticky abt it. sad rite? So in the end did they give u the day room in exchange of the voucher??

Hi cherishy,

For every confirmed table there will not be any corkage charge, therefore if you have 30 tables then 30 tables waiver loh.
smile.gif

But we did negotiate for more, so in the end we got abt 1.5 bottles of wavier for each table loh. Hope that helps.

Hi Geraldine,

Ya i agree i can't add more things in the contract now, even when i called to tell & ask them certain things, at most they will reply me "Ok we will try".....haiz, so it is not in black & white, so it is quite difficult.

Thanks gals! I will try & see what i can do from here.
happy.gif

callaway

Hey Moopo,

Don't worry too much about them. Based on my experience with them, unlike some other smaller hotels which are more "qingcai" about things, they also end up shortchanging you about various things later on.

Whereas I find that Conrad tends to meet or exceed your expectations on your all-important wedding day.

Don't fret about that at this point. Focus on other things!
happy.gif

moopo

Hi Geraldine,

Thank u so much!
kao_blush.gif

Yup! This point i do agree with you, although conrad tends to be more strict during negotiation, but when i attend my friends' wedding there, everything still turn out ok, hence i hope mine will be as great too.
happy.gif

btw, when is ur big day?
happy.gif

callaway

3 more months!! Plenty to panic about at this point but have told myself to try to manage this one day at a time.

Phew!

How about yourself?

moopo

Hi Geraldine,

Wow yours AD is just 3mths away...june loh. that's fast.
happy.gif
are u eager? hehehe!

Mine still far far away...feb08...hehehee! but i am already very excited liao, coz now am doing all the BS shopping, photography...etc...headache leh. kekkee! ;p

staritzz

my actually day is on the 30june.

any one here on 1st july??

i just went for my mock up of floral arrangements today..i have to top up more than $2k for the whole ballroom including 30 tbales 8 foral stands and the floral arch.

but the florist did a very good job. he was really creative!

moopo

Hi hi staritzz,

What do you mean by mock-up of floral arrangement?? Sorry to ask this question coz no experience lah...heehhee! Hope u dont mind k? ;p

And what u mean hv to top-up $2k? I tot flowers are already included in the package, unless we wanna change the colors of the flowers than we need to top-up $500...am i rite??

callaway

Moo&po -- I believe what staritzz refers to is the request for additional/change of variety of flowers. Conrad provides basic white roses -- 8 floral stands along aisle, 1 floral arch on stage and 1 floral centrepiece per table.

However, if you prefer red roses, the top up amount is $500. Requests for other additional flowers and/or varieties of flowers require additional top-ups. So it's not unusual to spend alot more than $500 for the additional flowers. (I ever had a friend blowing 10 grand on flowers before!)

staritzz, please correct me if I'm wrong.
happy.gif

Moo&po, if you have friends with green fingers or have your own florist, you should ask them to enhance the flowers you presently already have in the package. So instead of all white/red roses, you can have other varieties etc. Buy them from a wholesaler and you should save some $ on "raw materials".

staritzz

geraldine is right!

ive a purple theme. hence all the flowers are in different hues of purple..as they are more perishable than roses(i reckon) hence the top up.i dunno the names of the blooms thou the florist did mentioned it to me many times

i top up $2.5k on it. i wonder if ive done the right thing. i whine about a laptop costing $3k and there i am, spending 2.5k on flowers that merely last a day.

but the mock up was really pretty and both of us love it.

callaway

Actually staritzz, i think if you maintain the flowers, they shd last a little more than a day. (Unless you are using morning glories!)

At FSH, the hotel actually asked the guests to take the flowers back so all the flowers were given to whoever wanted them. So it wasn't all "Wasted".

mucci

hi,

I have just went for my food tasting.
Overall is ok except for the shark's fins soup.
Not too sure if it is coz I chose the one with crab roe. It looked orangy & tasted powdery...
sad.gif

Can anyone please share what combination type of shark's fins you have tasted and chosen to be good?

Thanks!

happyface

hi mucci,

did u choose the dish on ostrich meat one or the pork ribs one?

i tried the ostrich meat at my food tasting and some commented that not very nice.. so i choose pork rib for actual day, was wondering how was it.