Carlton Hotel

L

leck

Hi all,

My financee and I are thinking of signing up with Carlton after viewing their ballroom. There are 2 prices for their menus, ie.728 and 788. I think the more expensive menu has abalone and garoupa. Anyone has any comments on the choice of the menu to take? Can we take the cheaper menu and ask for 1 or 2 dishes to be upgraded at no additional cost? Advice needed! Thanks.

T

tracy kuan l h

Hi Rene,
I have just booked my wedding with Carlton. the big day will be on March 6th 2004. The co-ordinator's service good and flexible- i like it ther coz it's cosy and embience is good. We had a pretty good deal, and additional perks too. Jerri is following for my wedding needs.She is nice and friendly. Good reviews from friends on the food too. Even with the pillers in ballroom, that didnt bother me coz we had only 20 tables and it will not be a major problem. Do write to me at [email protected] so that we can discuss more.

tingting

hi sushi,

have we met at another thread? anyway, i've signed up with Carlton for my wedding dinner end of the year. The ballroom may not be fantastic like marriott, but it's nice n cosy enough for me. Make an appt with the coordinator to view the ballroom when there is a wedding and see the setup for yourself.

leck leng chye,

i've not selected my menu, but the coordinator told me that i can actually substitute another dish of similar value. Don't think you can upgrade the dishes at no cost, prob got to top up or reduce 1 course. If you manage to bargain for the freebie do let me know!
happy.gif

babyvon

Hi Sushi,
Yup! Like wat Tingting said, the ballrm's not tt fantastic! But it has a long aisle for march-in, if u hpn to tk tt into consideration.
Oso, thr's 4 pillars so a few tables will def b blocked by tt...But m sure the guests will auto shift to catch a glimpse of wat's go'g on on stage then.

I chose Carlton 'cos it met my budget & the venue's pretti convenient...Oso the food's good! So, food for thot? Best of Luck in ur decision!
happy.gif

babyvon

Hi Tingting,
When's ur wedd'g?
happy.gif
Mine's in Nov.

Hi LengChye,
It reali doesn't matter which menu u chose...Frankly, i tink the most impt issue's to tk into consideration if u r plann'g to make or lose $, for ur wedd'g.
The hard but true fact these days r most couples either lose or brkeven for their wedd'g..."cos times r reali bad! Both my hubby & i am oreadi prepared for tt!
sad.gif

I reali doubt the guests will mind wat kinda food the htl serves...not to wori, Carlton's Wah Lok's qte reputable for it's good food!
happy.gif

U can alwz channel the xtra cost to other thgs. Hope i did help in some ways. Cheers!
smile.gif

sushi

hi tingting
Which thread are you refering to? I'll be going to take a look at the actual setup this coming sun. Hopefully i wont be disappointed.

Babyvon & tingting
I'm still considering crown prince too. Have not decide which one to confirm. Heard that the food at crown prince is good too. By the way, aren't you all not worried abt the complain on the newspaper??

K

koenig

Hi Tingting, babyvon and sushi,

Thanks for your replies. I also heard that the food at Carlton is pretty good. I quite like the ballroom for its grand chandelier lights. Have you noticed those lights? Have you also thought about where to place the projector for video montage?

Btw, what is this incoident in the newspaper about? Please fill me in on the details. WHat happened and when?? Thanks.

Sushi - Do take a look if you are interested in Carlton. I think the prices are pretty reasonable and the hotel is near to City Hall. I heard that the prices might be revised upwards soon. Do book quickly if you want to secure this year's rate.

babyvon

Hi Sushi,
Once bitten, twice shy! M sure the mgmt has learnt its lesson after tt incident! I've had some comments earlier in tis thread frm some brides who oreadi had their wedd'g din at Carlton earlier tis year...apart frm some minor hiccups, which most htls do face...eg, hvg insufficient experienced staff...they def cun get full-time banquet waiters/tresses...I tink mos of the comments weren't tt bad aftall.

Oso, Carlton had recently been awarded a 4 Star & they had since renovated the htl...not too bad except i dislike the carpet in the ballrm...they din chg tt aft the reno...kinda old but i doubt the guests will notice it very much when the tables r up.

But agn, if u r reali worried, then do choose a htl u & ur FH's comfy with...cos' u're the client!
happy.gif

babyvon

Hi Koenig,
Pls dun mention...I cun reali recall wat the bad press' regrd'g but u may like to refer bk to the archived & tk a lk agn. I tink it's 1 & a hf or 2yrs bk.

aquarius_888

Hi Babyvon and Koenig

I think the bad press report (if that's the one you guys are referring to) is about 1 yr back cos it's 2 - 3 months before my wedding. It's actually about this couple who refused to pay the banquet $$ cos they complained that the service is bad, slow etc The couple had very very bad attendance rate and also had some overseas guests. When they refused to pay the $$, Carlton stopped the overseas guests from checking out of the hotel. According to hearsay, the couple did not have enough $$ to cover the banquet cost thus make a big fuss to delay the payment etc. Dunno who is right and who is wrong but we definitely had no problems with Carlton when we held our wedding there in Oct 2002.
happy.gif

babyvon

Hi Aquarius,
Thks for the info...I din reali tk tt into a/c when i considered Carlton. Let's hope such thgs wun hpn agn! Thks agn!
happy.gif

I felt tt the mgmt was unprofessional in stopp'g the guests frm lvg...they shld not hv done tt...but then agn, when it comes to $, i guess they had no choice! Well, since it's over, I believe they'll tk precaution nw.
happy.gif

sushi

Hi Babyvon

Hopefully they will learn their lesson after that incident. I thought Carlton was 4 star all the while? I'm actually considering Crown Prince as well. Have not been to their ballroom yet. I have narrow down my options now to crown prince and carlton. Will compare their perks as well...hehee...

Hi Koenig
That incident is extactly what Aquarius had told you. The news was so 'hot' during that time. It really left a bad impression of carlton.

tingting

hi everyone,

i signed on with Carlton after my friend recommended it, and i was quite satisfied with the food after attending her wedding in Apr this year. It's by the restaurant in the hotel (can't remember the name) that's supposedly won several awards. As I was my fren's emcee for the evening, i had a chance to work with the banquet manager who's pleasant and nice to talk to. The entire event went well and i think the guests enjoyed themselves too.

With regards to the incident, well, i'm sure the hotel will have implemented some changes to make sure things like that do not happen. Believe they've also changed their staff since then?

hi babyvon,

my wedding's in dec. hope everything goes smoothly on the wedding day!
happy.gif

hi sushi,

believe we met at the punggol 63x thread?

shook

Hihi sushi

R u a White Link bride?

I oso considered Carlton n Crown Prince 4 my choice of wedding banquet. I dropped Crown Prince bcoz it is located in Orchard Rd. Traffic in Orchard Rd is busy especially during weekends. A tendency dat your guests might b caught in traffic jam. Your wedding banquet has to start late as a result of tis. The car park lot in Crown Prince is v limited. Another reason y I din chose Crown Prince oso bcoz it can't cater to the no of table I required.

sushi

Hi shook

You are right! I'm from white link. Nice to see you here again
happy.gif
! How many tables are you looking at? I'm looking for 25 tables only so crown prince can lor. So have you actually see the ballroom at those 2 hotels? I'm still deciding...dunno which one to choose...
I dont intend to look at any other hotels already cos its making me more confused
uhoh.gif
Can you tell me why you choose carlton? I need advise from you. Thank you
kiss.gif

tingting

hi sushi,

must be someone else with the same nick then.
happy.gif
Since u're looking at 25 tables, dun u think Crown Prince is not that suitable? bcos the ballroom is long, and part of your march in isle will be without tables along the way. That was one of my consideration as well.

shook

Hihi Sushi

I had 30+ tables. I din view Crown Prince hotel. I dropped it bcoz of I m worried of traffic jam. Oso it can't accomodate the no of table I need.

I chose Carlton because
- Walok restaurant won awards a few times. Oso received feedback fm dinning experts (my friends) dat the food there r gd
- it's near MRT station n @ the central of Singapore yet won't b affected by traffic jam
- it is relatively cheap for it's location
- the ballrm has a fairly long marching isle
- it has ample parking lots
- Carlton's packagae is quite comprehensive
- Carlton's lobby area looks classy

sushi

Hi tingting
You have seen crown prince's ballroom? I have not view it personally but saw the picture in the magazine. It looks pretty grand. Is carlton looks more grand than crown prince?

Hi Shook
Yah...i know that restaurant won awards a few times. Does carlton have a spacious reception area too?

tingting

hi sushi,

the picture is quite different from the actual, cos the photographer touched up the photo. Plus it's taken a long time ago. You should go down and take a look at both venues yourself. I prefer Carlton cos it's just renovated and looks more classy. Only thing is that the recept area is not big enough. Prob have to get the guests to sit in the ballroom earlier then.. :p

one thing to note is that Crown Prince has very limited parking space, so it might inconvenience the guests.

shook

Hihi Sushi

The recep area @ Carlton is a long stretch. It stretches fm the beginning to the end of the ballrm. On your actual day, your helper has to monitor the no of guest arrival n let the guests into the ballrm when majority of them arrived. The banquet mgr can guide u on tis.

It is better that u view the ballrm n c which one u n your hubby prefer.

babyvon

Hi Shook,
Nice to c u agn here!
happy.gif
Hw's ur tan...Fad'g? Hw's ur Bintan trip? Still busi with ur hsewk?
wink.gif

I've yet to discuss with Jerrie...tink i need to contact her soon 'cos my wedd'g's drw'g near!
uhoh.gif

Btw, did Jerrie say they hv a cordless mike the other time u had ur wedd'g? I recall u say'g they din give u tt nite...but isit 'cos they dun hv it? Thks!
smile.gif

Hi Sushi,
I do agree with the advices given to u, nvrtheless, the ultimate decision still lies with u & ur hubby...Both of u mus like the plc b4 u commit. Do hope u'll b able to mk a decision soon.
happy.gif

sushi

Hi tingting, shook and babyvon
I'll be going down to take a look at their ballroom next sat cos they have a wedding on that date. Since you gals so highly recommend carlton, guess i'll take a higher chance to use carlton.

I've called them up today...Initially wanna look for Jerrie but she's not around so a gal called Agnes answered the phone, she told me that there will be an increase in price this coming sept. About 30 bucks more per table!

Hmm... guess i gotta confirmed fast fast before the revised package.

By the way, Agnes sounds rather friendly...Have anyone of you contact her before?

shook

Hihi Babyvon
My skin is improving. I collected my honeymoon photos on Mon. Gosh, can c in the photos dat my face was badly burnt.
My Bintan trip is totally different fm my honeymoon, sleep, eat, laze ard, swimming, archery.... The sky wz cloudy when I reached. U bet, the next day the sun wz out to greet me. Boy, can't it leave me alone!! The greatest joke is it drizzles when I left
I asked Jerrie twice, she said they have cordless mike, but she din get a cordless mike 4 me. Tis is 1 of the item she promised but left out. I think it is better dat when your hubby meet up the banquet mgr, ask again the items Jerrie promised b it big or nitty gritty item. She promised me 2 exclusive ang pow boxes, 4 chairs @ reception area, cordless mike, portrait stand but all these were not provided on my wedding 9. Yeh, they r small items but they play an impt role.

Hihi Sushi
Ha ha ha
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
We brainwashed u. Well well, every individual has his/her own preference. No harm to view the ballrm @ Crown Prince or discuss wif your hubby which hotel he prefers. If both of u buy our rational of choice, go wif us!!
I have not spoken to Agnes b4, so no comment. Normally hotels give better package during bridal show. Talk to the coordinator fm Carlton, b it Agnes or Jerrie. Check when is their bridal show, if time permits, book during bridal show. BTW, have u decide on your actual wedding date?

shook

Sushi
Carlton has 2 ballrms. The big 1 wif 4 gigantic pillars. Memory searched me, dun think there is pillar in the small ballrm. But dat ballrm is really small. Not sure if it can fit in 25 tables. Check wif the coordinator

tingting

hi sushi,

Carlton has 1 ballroom tt requires a min of 25 tables, and another smaller function room tt can take only 16 tables i think.

sushi

hi Shook
I might be going to choose an auspicious date this coming sat or sun. Hopefully able to get a date by then. Sigh...my hubby leaves everything for me to decide. He usually will say if you like then choose that one lor. So i hold the main decision
biggrin.gif

Hi tingting & Shook
Think hor...i'll be having around 20-22 tables leh
sad.gif
...do you think carlton will let me have the big ballroom??

shook

Hihi Sushi
I dunno which ballrm will Carlton give to u. Juz let them know your requirement n c wat they say.

tingting

think it's quite impossible to squeeze 20 tables in the smaller room. You may need to top up something to get the ballroom. H/w, u sure u cannot get the min 25? My original estimate was about 28 tables, but last min one of the parents wants to invite scores of friends..in the end may turn out to be 30 over.

sushi

hi shook
I've called up jerrie...she says can let me have the ballroom if my big day is on weekdays. So its impossible to have to ballroom on weekends...so sad
sad.gif

Hi tingting
I dunno yet...have not asked my hubby's folks how many tables or relatives that they are gonna invite. But as per our own calculation is approx. abt 20-22 tables so far lor...Hopefully can hit 25 tables after proper calculations.

tingting

sushi,

you better get a good estimate. Bcos like you, we only est our relatives and friends, and the parents said they won't be inviting their friends. Sometime later they came up with a list of 12 tables of friends! quite fainty.

shook

Hihi Sushi

Did u ask Jerrie wat if your big day is on weekend? Does it mean u have to look 4 other hotel? Right now the bz in hotel industry is bad. Dun think they will turn dwn wedding deal. Wedding deal fetch a big profit.

It is advisable to have a rough est of how many table u, your hubby, your parents and PIL need. If the rough est no of table hit the min no of table required, juz tell the hotel u need the min no of table so dat if u have more in actual, they r happy; if u have less, u won't b penalize.

sushi

Hello tingting
Mmm...guess you are right...they might add in more frenz and relatives...think i better ask them again. But wow...yours additional of 12 tables. Thats a lot...hehee...

Hello Shook
Jerrie just turn me down lor...says i must meet the min no. of tables. Doesnt really seems to be interested in my biz
sad.gif

Anyway, if really cannot then i have to look out for other hotels liao...

tingting

i think wedding's about the only business that's not affected by the economy. Despite the economic downturn these few years, prices of wedding related stuff, esp banquets, have been increasing. I think Carlton's pretty hot for weekend bookings at least..mine will be held on a weekend, and there's little room for bargaining cos according to her she has pple in the queue waiting for the room. :p We din insist cos the price is within our budget already..

i think it shld be quite safe to commit to a minimum of 25 tables. That's only about 3 more tables than ur current estimate..can invite more friends n colleagues to make it up.

btw, we won't be giving them the full 12 tables they requested, else the place will be too cramped. I'm intending to keep it at a max of 32 so tt it doesn't look too crowded.

babyvon

Hi Sushi,
Hv u decided on the wedding date? Perhaps u & ur hubby can make an apptmt to meet Jerrie & tell her ur restrictions & ask her to try her best to help u?

Or if m not wrg, thr's another lady, Peggy, jus a banquet coordinator...Maybe u can try ask'g her to c if she can help u? Unless she's left the industry.

Don't give up yet but at the same time, do look ard as well. Many htls require a min of 25 tables for the wkend...some 35 & above. If urs falls on a wkday, they may b able to accomodate ur request.

I knw Traders htl does cater to a min of 16 & a max of 22-23. Perhaps u can try ask'g them too. I've been to view their ballrm...not too bad! The comments on the food's not bad too! So, food for thot?
wink.gif

babyvon

Hi Shook,
Hv u recv'd ur fotos frm Alan? I've booked him too...spoke to him & asked abt the bad press abt him! He promised to appear...meanwhile, will b pray'g hard tt he wun back out.
sad.gif

Did u scan any of ur fotos...care to share some with me? M sure u reali lkd good...since Jerrie asked u for it.
happy.gif

Thks agn for the info! I reali hv to pen down wat i wan to request frm her...in case she din oblige...at least thr's black & white. Hehe!
lame.gif

shook

Hihi BabyVon

I collected my photos fm Alan. He gave to us few days after our wedding. They r well taken. My cousin said better than ps fm bridal boutique.

When we decide to engage Alan, we din know abt him using his replacement when he is overbooked. My hubby met him last yr, talked to him, saw his work n engaged him (my hubby told him we want him, not his other staff as he told my hubby he has a few staff). Come v close to my wedding day, he called me to find out my address. On the eve of my wedding day, he called me again to confirm my address. He turned up on my wedding day am n pm. Think may b u tell him b4 hand u want only him n not someone else.

I have not scanned my photos. Busy wif honeymoon planning after wedding. Now hubby busy wif work, no time to scan my photos. I will post my photos in the forum when they ready. Jerrie 1 my pictures bcoz free mah. Get model gotta pay for model, gowns, ...

Those things Jerrie missed out were penned dwn in our contract. Juz dat it din happen. Check on them b4 your banquet to b on the safe side.

sushi

hi ting ting and babyvon

If really cant get the min 25 tables...i wil consider hilton or oriental liao...

Oriental is good...they allow me to use the ballroom in spite that i have only 20-22 tables. As for hilton...they have a smaller ballroom that also accomodate 20-25 tables.

Kinda sad to leave this thread soon
sad.gif

babyvon

Sushi,
Dun despair...u r alwz welcome to join us in tis thread. Try negotiating with Jerrie again...She sounds serious but may be flexible if u try again.

Yup! Hrd tt Oriental's good too. Well, if Jerrie's so inflexible, then it'd def Carlton's loss, not urs.
angry.gif

babyvon

Hihi Shook,
Thks agn!
happy.gif
I did tell Alan specifically tt 3 other brides i knew had recommended him so i dun wish to b disappointed. He said he'll def turn up on my wedd'g day. Let's hope so then.
uhoh.gif

Do infrm me when u've posted ur fotos okie? Can't wait to c them.
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

Yup! I'll def dbl-chk with the banquet mger tt day. Thk God i found tis thread & thks for shar'g agn!
happy.gif

shook

Hihi Sushi
If u really like to have your wedding banquet @ Carlton, talk 2 another coordinator. I personally find dat Jerrie is tough to negotiate. We dropped off Carlton fm our short-listed hotels after the 1st meeting wif Jerrie. After dat she sent an invitation to us to their bridal show. Think they had a target to hit during dat event. She wz accomodating then. Oso we were v upset wif another hotel which we decided to sign wif during the 2nd meeting. So we ended up wif Carlton.
I talked 2 another coordinator b4. Think her name is Peggy. V friendly but think she left Carlton liao. Give it a try to talk 2 another coordinator. If it is Carlton's policy not to accomodate the no of table u have, then no choice lah. But really it is a loss 2 them.

Hihi BabyVon
When Alan call u to confirm your address, emphasize to him again u want only him for am n pm.
Will keep u posted in tis forum when I post my photos. If I 4get, I will create a new thread as Shook's wedding photos to share which is fairly easy to catch your attention (I hope
rofl.gif
)

sushi

Hi babyvon & Shook

Thanx for your advise. Guess i'll talk to another coordinator. Gotta keep my fingers cross. I really think that carlton's package quite reasonable lor...its within my budget too. Maybe i should attend their bridal show hor? So can bargain more...perhaps they can accomodate to my min of tables.

Well...will keep you gals update again
happy.gif

babyvon

Hi Sushi,

YuP! U shld reali go for their bridal pkg shld there b a bridal fair. I signed up with Carlton after a bridal fair in March...Qte a good deal for me...within my budget!
happy.gif

They r usually mre flexible dur'g the bridal show as they'll b fac'g tough competition. Perhaps u can chk out when's the next one Carlton will b participating?

Jus like wat Shook suggested, try speak'g to another coordinator. Best of Luck!
happy.gif

Shook,
Thks! I'll def tell Alan tt!
happy.gif
Okie, i'll def keep a lookout for ur thread then!
bounce.gif

aquarius_888

Hi Sushi

Babyvon is right. I like Traders Ballroom settings but hubby dun fancy that cos of the very low ceiling and pillars. I find that Orchard Parade Hotel also not too bad.
happy.gif
As for Carlton, maybe you can check with Jerrie if you can confirm 23+2? That will make up to 25 tables too. I think it should be possible.
happy.gif
Infact Jerrie is not really that bad. Before her, there is a banquet sales manager (forgot her name already) who only worked for few months. That one lagi more chiat lat. Very arrogant attitude cos I think she used to be from Pan Pacific. Have you meet up with Jerrie before? Maybe can make a trip down to view the ballroom as well as negotiate with her?
happy.gif
Good luck!
happy.gif

aquarius_888

Hi Sushi

Forgot to add, I remember Carlton charges $150+++ for tables that are not 'open'. We confirmed with them also becos of this. Most hotels will charged you the full price of the table eg. $728 nett for each table not 'open'. Supposed if you have 23 tables in total, Carlton will charged the 2 unused tables at 300+++ which is about $345. Then you can divide this amount by the 23 tables you have and each table will cost $15 extra (eg. $728+15=$743). Not too much if you ask me.
happy.gif

sushi

HI babyvon
I was told that the next bridal show at carlton will be in sept...They will launch their revised package during the bridal show. Guess there will be an increase in price.

Hi Aquarius888
I have not meet Jerrie yet...have only talked to her over the phone. No time to go down and talk to her personally cos my hubby has been very busy lately...even weekends also kenna burnt liao
sad.gif

I didnt know that we have to pay for the not open tables...By the way, the not open tables means the reserved tables???

aquarius_888

Hi Sushi

The not 'open' tables I meant here is the confirmed min 25 tables. You will have to confirm with Carlton a min of 25 tables in order to use the bigger ballroom on a weekend. If you do not meet the min 25 nearer to your wedding date, you can tell Jerrie that you have only say...23 tables. So Carlton will charged you $150+++ for each of the tables you did not open instead of letting them set up the ballroom with 25 tables and you do not have any guests occupying at all. That way they will have to charge you the full cost of the tables which is at $728 cos they have already prepared the food. Reserve tables will not be charged if you do not use them.
happy.gif