Any advise on selecting a suitable mattress ?

juzrom

Actually slumberland's claim on the number of pocketed springs is bullshit cos the "3600 pocketed springs" actually relates to the number of coils instead of individual springs.
As most springs have 5-6 coils, therefore a so-called 3600 springs mattress actually has only 600-720 individual springs in them.
Have u guys seen the actual springs before? If observe and rationalise it carefully, how can there be 3,600 springs in a mattress? Either the springs must be damn small or the mattress must be damn big.
Anyway, this is my wat i feel, no offence intended to those who bought the mattress. The bottom line is to buy watever you feel comfortable....
happy.gif

manz

Haha... then "bullshit" is a hard comment based on wat u have observed but not confirmed... =o)
Agree that its most important that one has to be comfortable with the mattress b4 buying.... =o)
So...JuzROM??? did u clarify your doubts with them??? Else... u be misleading others also... =o)

juzrom

Hi Manz,

happy.gif
...the "bullshit" is confirmed and not an observation. You can try asking any slumberland salesman and verify wat i said. Anyway, the counting of coils as springs was told to me by the slumberland salesman themselves. The best proof is to ask for a cut-out sample of the mattress.

manz

Hahaa... really???? seen the cut out samples b4... didnt really notice it... but well.... its not really a matters of how many spring...or whether should we buy the facts of how they "determine" their springs... the fact is that its really comfortable...
My parent's mattress arrived today... really very firm & comfortable... but its very heavy though...took quite a while to place it on the bed... =o)

P

pink bottle

Has anyone heard of Dr Care brand of mattresses? went down to casa italy and they were selling that and offered to sell it at $599 (usual price $799 he said). but i have never heard of this brand, nor can i find any info regarding it at all. it did feel quite comfortable and all but not sure of its reputation. any comments anyone?

O

oxyl

Anyone using Simmons backcare 3 or 4 mattress ?

Thinking of buying, anyone know where to get
cheaper besides Robinson ?

nac

Hi Manz,
can I also quote your name to buy 1 set of the royal crown? $1850 is a good price.

manz

Ya, sure... u can email me at [email protected].... =o)

But then not sure will they give u this price.... cos thats my 2nd purchase... hmmm... alternatively.... u can try to bargain down the price & see wat will they give u... =o)

Royal Crown series is the most expensive series in Slumberland & heard its quite difficult to sell...think they will give u abt $1900, when u told them someone recommend it.... as they always like return customer.... =o)

If u are going to Sleeping Gallery at IMM.... look for a lady "yeow", if I didnt remember wrongly... an old lady... very naggy.... when we say we consider...her face turn black.... when I purchase,...she treat us like king...hahaha.... but she's will explain to u in detail lor.... think she call the shot at IMM... btw...she's off on Wednesday... =o)

S

sleepyblurry

Hi oxyl,
you probably missed the takashimaya deal last week on Simmon mattresses. At the moment, it seems that only Robinsons/ John Little are giving discounts on Simmon mattresses. If you were to buy from the galleries, you can enjoy 5% if you hold Citibank and UOB credit cards + 0% monthly installments for 12 months OR 10% if you are a Krisflyer member. You may want to check out the galleries.

May be difficult to find discounts more than 15% for Simmon mattresses, i think.

juzrom

Hi

Juz a mini poll here, do u pple prefer firm or softer mattresses? Juz wondering how a mattress can be comfortable if its firm and does not adjust to fit the contour of our body.

S

sleepyblurry

i prefer softer and plusher ones, but not to the extent that it is so cushiony that i sink right into it and have a hard time getting up.

but if u have back problems, better to go for the firmer ones for better support. Not so comfortable to sleep in then, but what to do, health comes first right?

S

sleepyblurry

Oh btw, the simmon website in the us actually offers some tips on how to go abt choosing mattresses. They make u go through a series of qns and then tell u which type of mattress wld suit u better. it works pretty accurately for me. perhaps those torn betwn a firm and softer mattress can try it out.

nac

Hi
anyone bought backcare 4 from Simmons. How much did you pay? What's ur experience with the mattress (did it retain its firmese after a few months? Many thanks.

zoey

Hi,
brought mattress from this store called Roland @ Kim Seng rd...
Dunlop ortho care (thk is called this name), queen size @ $650 (mattress only) plus one bolster and two pillows free.
For those who prefer the mattress to be extra firm, can try this.
Shd be abt the same as kingkoil 'Mr America' model but slightly less firmer for 'ortho care'
chk it out!!

orcabee

Anyone bought Felicity mattress by Simmons? How do you find it? Saw it at Paragon, the feel to me is wonderful, but couldn't find it elsewhere to compare price.
Thanks.

ttsh

Hi all,

Yday juz bot a queen size mattress from Seahorse Hecom from Marina square. It's 8 inch height. I bot e reversible one, one side medium support n e other is hard. It's at $379 after discount. I oso bot two foldable mattress at abt $23 for unexpected guest. Usual price is $95. I tink it's a gd buy. Try it yrself there.

sabian

Hi

I bought a Sealy bed frame with my fiancee last month and my parents actually bought us the same frame as well!

They wanted to surprised us...well..they sure did!

As I have only one mattress, I need only one bedrame .

If you are looking for the 'Avana' bedframe from Robinsons,
(Synthetic leather, beige, king size) , do let me know.

I am letting it go for $880 (GST & Tpt fee included). Delevery can be from now till May

sabian

Hi roooller

sealy it is for me cos I have tried the beds from simmons...dun really like them

once in Four Seasons Hotel (Singapore), I got a chance to lie on the bed and fell asleep and I woke up feeling great. I got curious and flipped the covers of the bed and saw sealy (barcelona).

Sealy is from the U.S. But I doubt if any of the mattress available locally are made in the US or Europe. Most probably from M'sia or China.

Hope that helps

phoenix_ho

Hi,

I just paid a deposit for a four star queen size mattress. It's call Premier Prestige. It is pocketed spring and has extra padding on the top and bottom for extra comfort. From what i gathered, it is a in-house brand tied in with Novena. All in all, mattress + divan costs about $1250. Don't know if I am paying too much for it?

slow

Where can you get this SEALY mattress? I am looking for a queen size mattress... current one falling apart already.
sad.gif

cake

u can try Aero furnishing. I find Sealy mattresses there quite reasonably priced....and they have a good range

slow

Hi sunnygirl, how much should I be looking at paying for one at Aero? Any promotions to look out for? Sorry - but please help.
happy.gif

nyny

what's your budget, sharon?
queen or king size?
the price can be from few hundreds to few thousands, depends on your requirements e.g. # of springs. and also, you need to try and lie on the bed to see if you like the firmness or softness and if you feel comfortable or not. that's what i did when i went to aero. and we really like slumberland. (we told the lady our preference on the softness/firmness, she recommended slumberland). still considering 'cos the price is about $1300 and $1500 for queen size.

cake

hi sharon

well...I bought a Sealy Backsave Ultimate King for $1400 at the Sealy Warehouse sale 1 week ago, they are selling it is for $1499 (I think) at Aero...Either way, it is about that price for a Backsaver Ultimate (This has a pillowtop)

You should go Aero to try out that they have to offer as they do carry a variety. Once you have a model in mind, then, then u can compare prices, but from what I understand, Sealy mattresses are control price so not much diff.

pohbear77

Hi,

most probably will be getting a foam mattress from Seahorse. Anyone who'd used Seahorse mattresses, pls comment on its durability, comfortability, price etc.

Does Seahorse's mattresses come with any form of warranty like those of King Koil's? Thanks alot!

BR,
Pohbear77

dawnaura

Hi pohbear77,

I bought a Seahorse pullout bed for my kids three months ago - firm mattress for the regular bed, but only the foldable mattress can fit in the pullout. The firm mattress is already losing its firmness a little, considering that my daughter is only 5. The foldable mattress is pathetic - can feel the bed rungs underneath. Not only that, the so-called carpenter who set up the bed did not attach all the rungs for both the regular and pullout, and one of the pullout rungs even broke! Guess this is my retribution for buying cheap beds *sigh*

serrich

Hi Sharon,

Maybe u can try getting Simmons backrest series? I bought a westburry from Simmons Gallery last year. Its so comfy that the moment i sit on it, i feel like sinking my body in it and sleep.. Eveytime I get onto my bed, I dun feel like geting off the bed liao.. Hahahaha....

Getting a good mattress is very important. You should go and try different brands/series, sit on it, lie on it and feel it. If u feel uncomfortable then no point getting it.. You should get a mattress that u are comfortable with.

You are going to sleep on it everynite so it'll be good to invest in a good one.

My aunt also using seahorse, heard that its very firm... I dun like those firm firm mattress, sleep liao sure got backache...

What's your budget? If u can share with us ur budget, maybe we can recommend u some of the mattresses tat's within ur budget?

vain

I am looking for seahorse mattress. But the shop at Marina square is closed for renovation. Can anybody tell me where other shops I can look for?

blue_genie

yes, there is one shop in compass pt selling mattress. but cannot cfm whether its selling seahorse brand. perhaps u can go and take a look if u r staying nearby there?

wenn

there's 1 in century sq at tampines central & another in the building next to parkway parade (facing overhead bridge)

happy.gif

vinfang

Hi all,

Currently looking around for mattress, intend to get one tat is semi-firm type. Any good recommendations?

Thanks.

greenie

hi hi, i am oso lookg at mattresses now. saw a few brands, but both me & my hb feels simmons is great. anyone wif other recommendations?
happy.gif

besides they r hvg quite a gd promo 4 GSS. we r still considering.

afcai

Hi *starz*,
I bought my mattress from Star furniture. They are having some promotion now. My anti-dust slumberland mattress cost $698 and it come with freebies. The freebies include 2 anti-dust pillow, 1 boster, 1 comfortable set). The bed frame also cost $299. I think it worth it.

avocado

hi afcai,
how is ur bedframe look like?

Our BB will b borned soon,so there could b some days we'll spend a night at my inlaws home.

I'm looking for a light-weight & thin Queen size mattress to put at my inlaw home. So we can put the mattress aside (against) if we r not spending overnite.

Any idea where can I find such mattress??

trixie

Hi,

I'm looking to sell a King-sized cherrington mattress from the Beauty Rest range.

It was delivered in Oct'03 and is NEW and UNUSED, though the clear plastic wrapping the mattress was removed when it was delivered.

Simmons Gallery has the same model in their shop for testing. RP in Simmons Gallery is $3499 less $800 (mattress only) plus $150 Simmons voucher; or $3499 plus Sony home theatre system.

I'm willing to let go at S$2400 c/w cream leather bedframe. Neg. Pls email [email protected] for more info.

ONLY SERIOUS BUYERS WILL BE ENTERTAINED.
========================================

Thanks.

zack

hi,
i'm looking to buy a marriage bed. which means the mattress is gotta be good quality. do you all have experience of some mattress that starts to go out of shape after a few months of sleeping? the last one that I bought for a super single bed did, and it's king koil mattress. is it that king koil mattress is not so good compared to the other brands? or is it that the mattress is not suitable for those who's weight is around 80kg (thought it's average guy's weight)?

laughing

Hi Zack,

I've been sleeping on a king koil for 8 yrs now. Good and fine, but i've never turned/rotated the mattress throughout the 8 yrs, so now it's starting to sag a little. I'm ~50kg.

My bro who is ard ~90kg sleeps on a slumberland i bought him 3 years ago. It's still as firm as before.

i'm also looking for a marriage king size bed. I'll like to hear from married people who have slept on their simmons or sealy mattresses for more than 1 year. Anyone?

zack

Hi La la ooh,
thanx for sharing. i have rotated the mattress before. but it still didn't last more than a year. hmmm....

i think it's either my luck to have bought a king koil which doesn't last long, or my hubby is really that heavy to cause such damage.

i have another mattress which i bought for myself about 3-4 years, still firm and good though. i'm only around your weight, 50kg. but my hubby is around 80kg, so i thought i shouldn't depend on my weight to judge on which mattress to buy for the marriage bed.

hope to get some recommendations on reliable brands suitable for marriage beds. thanx!

ruffy_happy

I'm looking for supersingle or queens size materess for my 6mth old son. He likes to roll and flip around when he sleeps so the bb cot is too narrow for him to flip horizontally and he always gets stuck and crys for help.

Any recommendations for a not too expensive matteress that does not trap heat so that it is cooling for bb to sleep on as will be putting the matteress on the floor to prevent him from falling over

teebs

You can go to the smaller neighbourhood shops to ask for their prices for queen size mattresses. For the lower end mattresses, just get a pocket spring model. Should be ok.

laughing

Robinsons sales this weekend with less39%+$100off+less50r10% for members (or something like that) this weekend.

anyone bought Simmons from Robinsons? Their range is different from those in Simmons Gallery.

anyway, i checkout out Gallery and like the BeautyRest Lakeview but it's very expensive - $3499 for King's (w/ 2 free pillows + 1 bedframe + 1 book + 1 CD). Ouch!!

teebs

Hi Ruffy Happy,

Look for the furniture shops. They usually also sell mattresses. Otherwise sometimes in the straits times there are advertisements on mattresses on offer by Mega Mattress etc. These are quite cheap also.