Amanda Lee Weddings

flowee

hi JT n cassie

u gers muz b veri excited over ur fittin n detailin on ur gowns....
hv fun durin ur sessions...
i do miss those gd old daz...
happy.gif

flowee

btw if u gers r interested in flowee's weddin shots...
i believe 3 of my fotos r still on display @ amanda's... ( nt veri sure coz i last saw it in jan 04 )
u gers can look out 4 it...:p

dinah

hi all,

i am currently going around to check out the various bridal studios on their various packages and gowns. for those of you who have used amanda lee, any comments or thoughts and or great things to share?

postpet2

Hi flowee,

aiyah, me was at amanda last evening leh...but was busy talking to her about packages and dresses and forgot to check out your photos...what a pity....

i agree with you girls that Amanda's a very comfortable person to work with...

overwhelmed

Hi cassie, flowee & postpet,

just done my lining fit recently and am really excited over how the gowns will turn out
happy.gif
... Amanda was really encouraging for me to try out different stuff so i can't wait till my 1st fitting!! *argh*

postpet, i took up Benny separately cos i wanted his $2500 package... i visited him at his studio and really like him and his style! the photo package with Amanda will be more basic... the $2500 will have more photos (i think 40, can't remeber liao) and other add-ons. It's really up to u...

hi dinah, it'll be a good idea to go thru our previous postings cos a few of us did talk abt how we thot abt Amanda
happy.gif
... but the more i interact with her, the more i find her a patient person... and she has high standards for herself so u dun have to worry abt slipshod work... creativity wise, i think she's great!! perhaps becos Amanda's ideas and taste is really close to wat i have in mind, i like her work alot
happy.gif
... if u go down to her shop now, you will see this cheongsam style gown at the front of the shop... i really love tat man! ... other than the fact it's not suitable for my church wedding, i would definitely have done something like tat!
happy.gif

but at the end of the day, whether you like her and her creations is really personal... why dun u pay her a visit and see whether you click? i went down to visit her twice before signing up... actually after the 1st visit i've already more or less decided cos i feel we really connected and i like her taste in clothes and design... the 2nd visit was just to be sure :p

dinah

hi jt

that is what i thought too ... best to go down to look see look see ... just that you know lah, once you see this, you want, see another, you also like ... end up getting confused, so thought soliciting advice might be helpful too!

but am starting my hunt this saturday and will probably pop by in the afternoon to see amanda

postpet2

Hi dinah,

i know what you mean when you say " see this like this, see that, like that" cos i'm like that too...hahaah

generally i am very sure that i'm looking for a "best of all breed" kinda of approach. that is good bridal shop with good dresses tying up with good florist and good photographers. so the range of BS will be streamlined to half. then you pop by one by one to really feel who yu can click with and know what type of style you like.

Hi JT, one thing abt amanda that i feel more assured of is the 'lining fit' cos i really believe that only with that will the designer know what type of figure do you belong to. sometimes our dressing can hide our flaws and it will show on certain cuts. and the other point that i agree totally with amanda is corset..hahahaha..i really think the corset can do wonders....
BTW, me like benny's style very much too...but to get back all negatives will be ex and exceed my budget quite a bit.
I think amanda has some promo with montage now and prices with chris sounds reasonable too. though i'm definitely getting the minimum with both of them.

Do you know how much do i have to top up to get back neg for benny ah? i think i've asked this before...benny's gone for reservist lah.

overwhelmed

Hi dinah,

i totally know how you feel
happy.gif
... when i was hunting for my bridal shop, i prob drove my hubby nuts cos i kept asking him which one was nicer! :p but it'll be good for you to make an appt with her so tat there will be no other couples around... her policy is one couple at a time so you will have all her attention...

hi postpet,
ya, i think the lining fit is a really good approach... cos i have a slightly crooked lower back and u normally can't tell... but she noticed it during the lining fit and adjusted the cutting to hide the flaw... even my gown design will be done to compensate the flaw... feel much more assured that my gowns will really fit me... and yes! the corset is amazing!! .. but it's quite a torture... wore that during my lining fit for abt an hour on my heels and i already feel my back ache... but it really holds your body up and i definitely liked wat i saw in the mirror *hahaha*
happy.gif

i have no idea abt getting back negatives from Benny... for my package, i will get back the images of my selected photos on CD which is enuf for me... why dun u ask the lady at his studio? (think it's his relative) she may be able to tell u more...

dinah

hi JT & postpet ...

yes i will definitely make time to see amanda ... make appt that is ...

question JT - corset -- isn't that terribly uncomfortable?

overwhelmed

ya, it is abit uncomfortable cos i'm not used to wearing something so tight... and i was quite disgusted to see my flesh being squeezed out of the corset *hahaha* ... but hor, the effect is really good
happy.gif
... really holds your figure & i looked so slim... i guess it's up to you, Amanda will recc you to wear corset, but you dun have to if u dun wan... i know many shops dun do it cos it's troublesome for the designer to have to sew the extra piece onto the gown... one shop even told me if she sew it on for me, she will keep it together with gown even though i paid for the corset myself! ... Amanda told me she will return me the corset after the wedding... i was initially quite put off by the idea of wearing a corset, but after seeing the effect it had, vanity & hiao-ness kicked in and i gave in!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

overwhelmed

heh heh, you'll end up with a very good sitting & standing posture cos u can't slouch!! breathing is fine so dun worry abt it... Amanda did say u prob wun eat alot wearing a corset... but u prob wun wear it the whole day if you intend to wear kua or if your EG doesn't require a corset...

dinah

hmmm .. must weigh ... vain against comfort and food ... hehehehe

not wearing kau ... FH and i are both peranakans, so MIL is helping me put together a nice kebaya ... she's sewing my beaded slippers for me

overwhelmed

wow! tat's so nice... always thot kebayas are so intricate and beautiful
happy.gif
... well, i hope u like wat u see at Amanda's this Sat... let us know how it went
happy.gif

dinah

hi jt,

thanks ... i always see my MIL wearing them and it does look very good ... hehehe FH's side is more traditional than mine so luckily MIL is quite a nice and easy-going person, so very thankful for her help.

yes i will definitely let you all know how it goes

cassie

hi JT,

hmm, amanda didn't mention anything about a lining fit. is this something she cuts out of the lining material in the shape of your gown or something?

postpet2

Hi girls,

wow...so many postings in a morning...ahahah

Dinah, you are real one lucky girl. Next to Kua, I think kebaya is the next best traditional outfit. very intricate and pretty. i've seen a fren's mom sew a beaded slipper...impressed...
do keep JT and i updated on your feel with amanda.

I did try on some dresses with corset on my first visit and i really tot the effect is there leh.
JT : you mean amanda will sew on the corset on the gown? or wear seperately?
Betw food and vanity for AD, i chose vanity above anything...amanda was laughing when i told her this. will do anything to look pretty that day...

overwhelmed

Hi Cassie,
yup, she will use the lining material and cut based on your measurements. so when u wear it can see if further adjustments needed for the perfect fit
happy.gif
... after the lining fit, then she'll get the seamstress to cut the actual gown...

postpet, i think the corset is sewn on... makes more sense so that your corset wun move around... yah man, when i 1st tried on the corset n gown, i was so impressed wif how i look!! *hahaha* and i told her the same thing as u
happy.gif
... wearing a corset is a small price to pay for looking great! hee hee...

postpet2

JT : who have you picked for MUA ah?
actually hor, let me tell you smethg, i've not signed with amanda yet...hahaha..but was v happy with her service the other day that i could relate to all that you girls said here...
Are you taking Kua. do you know that amanda's kua is very pretty??!!
I think it looks v similar to the high end range for HOE. and she is loaning it for free...*applause for amanda*. generous girl

overwhelmed

err... i assume MUA is make-up artist? not very good with these bridal acronyms :p ... yup, i picked Freddy Ong cos i heard he's good with both hair and make-up, Amanda also say he's quite good... apparently he quite funny guy, so i thot good to loosen me up during AD
happy.gif
... me not taking kua cos both me and my mum dun really like it... and yup, Amanda is definitely generous... she's making me a ballgown with no additional charge... all the other shops i visited will charge extra for ballgown cos it uses more material... the best thing is i din even ask for the ballgown, she was the one who suggested it cos she thot it suits me... tat's one reason i sign up with her cos she's not the kind who only wan to earn your money and her creativity is not limited to how much u pay
happy.gif
... and i really like the fact that she will custom make a set of crystal jewellery for u to keep...

so which other bridal shops are u considering? or are u quite sure to sign up with Amanda?

postpet2

JT,

think me am quite sure to go with amanda...not easy to find a place that you can click with, like the shop, like the designer and so forth...
you taking ballgown too?
me too...in fact, me had asked her if she do ballgown and she commented that she actually think ballgowns are very pretty. however, for the past few years, not many pple appreciate ballgowns. she was quite thrilled that i'm interested in ballgowns..hahaha...
but i scared will make me look big and fat leh..
but i really like the vera wang type of ballgowns...fantastic...

overwhelmed

postpet,

it's good to be different... u wldn't wan to pay so much and get a gown tat looks like everyone else's
happy.gif
... at 1st i din consider ballgown, but she asked me to try and we all decided it suited me best... i guess i'm quite tall with heels so tat's y she got me to try... she also told me she likes ballgowns and she thinks it will get popular again this year
happy.gif
... so let us know when u finally decide to sign up with her
happy.gif

cassie

thanks, JT
happy.gif
btw, which month is your wedding and when are you having your photoshoot?
happy.gif

regarding sewing the corset to the gown, i seem to recall amanda telling me it helps in support, keeps the gown snug and prevents it from slipping.

i asked amanda about the kuas and she doesn't have any with flowers *sob* can't wear the ones with dragons.

postpet2

hi cassie,

amanda has 2 kuas...one teochew one and cantonese.
her cantonese ones are really elaborate with dragons and lots of silver threads...i told her i definitely want that...

if you cannot take dragons(due to religion har?), the teowchew one is the next option. that one's really elaborate with lots of flowers with beads too...but its totally different from the cantonese one. so you must like it first...
if need to, you can get kuas from HOE or The wedding gift shop in Marina square. their rental is real cheap. abt $48 or $68 only. depending on bead or no beads.
HOE's kua is definitely nice. i saw the flowers one before..very good...

cassie

hi postpet,

thanks!!!! sounds interesting, sure going to ask her about the kwas again when i next see her. didn't know there're different kwas for different dialect groups...

hey, the wedding gift shop kwa rental's real reasonable, will also go check it out. HOE's may be nice but don't want to spend too much on a kwa

overwhelmed

hi hi, was on course so couldn't reply...

Cassie, my wedding's in mid Dec and photoshoot with Benny in early Sep... he said 3 months is sufficient...

wah, din know there are different kuas for diff dialect... me Teochew so i shld take a look! ... my mum & me not too keen on the kua so not having it on AD... but was thinking shld be quite fun for the photoshoot so will definitely check it out the next time i'm there
happy.gif

Dinah, so how did the appt with Amanda go?

lux

Hey girls...

Amanda just release a new promotion and she offering a evening gown and cheong sam to keep..

any comments on her cheong Sam designs?

thanks!

overwhelmed

hi ling,

did you see her advert in the latest Female brides? the cheong sam in the smaller pics is really nice, it's the one currently fronting her shop on the mannequin... got really nice flowing embroidery and details and comes with a small pleated train as a twist... i like that very much but too bad it's not really suitable for my church wedding
happy.gif

overwhelmed

hi postpet,

congrats!!
happy.gif
good to know u're become an Amanda Lee bride
happy.gif
happy.gif
... am sure u'll enjoy yourself making the gowns... Amanda & Joe has made my trips really enjoyable
happy.gif
... who did u sign up with for your photos?

postpet2

hi JT,

Joe is the guy in amanda's shop is it?
He's amanda's partner for the shop har?

So where are you now with your gown making?

i've not decided who to sign up with for photos...going to take my time to decide...
who you sign up with ah?

BTW, who's your makeup artist? dunno if i should take freddy or jasmine....
better book early...

overwhelmed

yup, Joe is Amanda's business partner... he takes measurements for the guys & mainly helps the groom with the suits...

i finished my lining fit liao... and have decided the embroidery i wan... she told me the next fitting is the gown with the completed embroidery... then decide whether & where to put lace, beads & crystals etc...

i took her package without photos cos i signed up with Benny Ang separately :p ... make-up artist chope liao, taking Freddy... heard he quite funny and good with both hair & make-up... thot quite good to get funny MUA so can help me relax on my big day *haha* ... but heard jasmine is good too, Amanda recommended both... dun think u'll go very wrong with either
happy.gif

when's your big day? if got long way to go u can still take your time to recce and research more abt your photographer & MUA
happy.gif

lux

Hi JT.. just saw your response for the CS..

think is a pretty good deal for the CS and evening gown..Do you know how much she is charging for her promotional package?

MY AD is still long way .. but scouring round for ideas so dont want to impose on Amanda yet.

overwhelmed

hi ling,

not sure abt the promotion... y dun u give her a call? there's no obligations abt enquiring so dun worry... i visited quite a few shops (and some twice) before settling on one
happy.gif

postpet2

hi JT,

i see i see....
i've just had my first brainstorming session with amanda on the style and designs i want...having another one soon...

do you know how long after this will she then come up with the design? i think after design is settled then will we start with the lining fit rite?

i dunno to take lace or embroidery leh..ahaha

my AD is this year end actually...so not really that long later too.

heard quite a bit of both freddy and jasmine...you've not had a trial with freddy yet rite?

sorry, haven't been following the threads...but you getting another evening dress in addition to what amanda is providing? me tot of that too but wonder how much more will it cost?

overwhelmed

hi postpet,

i think u have to at least decide on the dress type before lining fit... i also couldn't decide wat details to take... so i took all! *hahaha* ... embroidery, lace (just a little), crystals & beads for the WG... EG will not have emboridery
happy.gif
... my AD is end of yr too, me more kiasu, so start earlier :p

my trial with Freddy not so soon... Amanda was saying prob during 2nd gown fit when gown is completed to see the full effect... tat's prob after June...

i wun be getting another EG... no $$ liao after budgeting for photography :p ... but i hear of people making cheongsam... why dun u take her promotion offer? it comes with a cheongsam too...

qi_nd

Hi Ladies,

Newcomers here...

Really serching for good BS! Care to share with me more about Amanda or any other BS.

Thank you..
Cheers..

postpet2

Hi qiqi,

you might wanna read thru our past threads for more info abt amanda's service...

I've signed up with her recently after having done my round of shopping...
You should too...Go with the one you feel most comfortable with...
I felt very comfortable with amanda's service...

In general, i feel amanda's a generous and patient lady...she gives honest comments as well which is what i'm looking out for..

Do make an appt to talk to her, try on her dresses to have a better feel...

scoobydoo

hi,

I was amanda's bride 2 years ago when she's with silhouette. I loved her service and of course the gowns she'd designed for me esp my evening gown...i've recommended 2 friends to her and they all turned up well!!..ya..i agreed with postpet2..you must be comfortable with the designer inorder to enjoy the whole process. I should say she's really patient with me.
Meet her first lor..and see how you feel!

pup_pup

hi, there are 2 MUAs? Any recommendations? Are we able to have a trial session before we decide on anyone?

Forgot to ask her abt the MUA. Too excited liao.

cassie

i think you'd have to decide on one mua before going for the trial, and i'm not sure if there's a charge for another trial if you decide to switch, will have to check with amanda
happy.gif
my friend was a silhouette bride some years back and had to pay $50 or $80 for another trial...

amanda works with freddie, jasmine and justina. some of the other threads have good reviews for freddie and jasmine, but the forum's pretty quiet on justina
happy.gif
perhaps amanda would be able to recommend who'd be best for your style and personality? ;-)

overwhelmed

hi pup pup,

lining fit wun be so early... u 1st have to work out the design with amanda 1st... once u have an idea abt the design, she will then do the lining fit... amanda has told me before that she does not like to rush her seamstress in case it affects quality of the sewing... so best tat you check wif amanda how long is comfortable for her to prepare the gown... personally, i wld prefer to let the seamstress take her time to produce a good piece of work, and also allow amanda plenty of time to do the detailing like embroidery, beading & lace...

postpet2

Hi JT,

have you gone for your trial makeup yet?

BTW, have you seen Redbox yet ah...cos me quite picky on flowers and makeup, so wanna choose carefully...
Heard quite a bit of (not so good) comments about redbox leh...quite worried..

Which package are you getting from benny ah? I like his style too...but not cheap huh...

pup_pup

hi JT,

thks for the advise. i din know tat. which MUA r u taking?

hi postpet2,

I've seen some -ve comments on Redbox in the forum too.. so a bit worried but it seems no one else is taking them as the comments dropped?

can only cross fingers tat they've improved over time...