AD before Flat?

monkie

hi jun jun
depend on whether your husband mind to stay in ur parent's flat, and also your parents thinking also. unless both of them very open minded or else, its better to rent a flat.
i personally think dun ask your hubby to compromise for the sake of saving money. maybe that could due to pride issue that cause him feel uncomfortable.

cactus_79

Hi Cynthia,

We will be having personal stuff at both houses... no need to shift stuff... just physically return to different homes. We are doing a Monday night to Thursday night at his parents' home, and a Friday night to Sunday night at my parents' home. So most of the weekend stuff will be at my place and most of the office stuff will be at his place.
happy.gif

cactus_79

hi Cynthia,

We've not got our place yet. Came really close to buying, but other buyers placed the deposit before us!!! On 3 occassions already! We are very careful buyers, so we don't give deposit on the spot. We will request for second viewing, then give deposit. But cos husband and I only free mostly on weekends, by the time the second viewing is scheduled, we lost our unit.. cos someone else came in quicker! These days, alot of units are co-marketed by more than 1 agent..so even the agent helpign us has no idea or knows only very last minute that another buyer is prepared to place deposit. Usually, we will know only in the evening, the the cheque is given to owner the next morning! Now, still looking loh. That's why we didn't buy much furniture at both ILs and my parents' places.. only buy new mattress for both places.. and new bed frame for IL's place (cos husband still sleeping on super single bed frame now)... my bedroom has queen sized bed frame already.

cactus_79

Actually.. it's funny, how my husband and I decided to stay a few days at ILs' place a few days at my parents' place...

Cos my MIL always ask us to go home for dinner on weekdays... my SIL and her family will have dinner on weekdays... and my FIL sends my husband to work on weekdays too and sometimes fetches him home. So staying with ILs during workweek makes most sense.. And my parents told me they will miss me after I get married.. cos I'm the only child, and since my husband spends weekends over at my place already, we decided to continue this arrnagement of staying over at my parnets' place on weekends, with my ILs' blessings. Phew!

My ILs' place is quite noisy cos there are already 3 adults staying there, include me and husband, it is 5. Then my SIL leaves her baby and maid at the place throughout the week.. so 6 adults and 1 baby permenant. For dinners, SIL and BIL and sometimes another auntie comes over. I'm talking about a 5-room HDB flat.. heheh. My husband loves peace and quiet so we talked about renting for time being.. but we realised both sides' parents not happy with the arrangement - cos it's like there is already one spare bedroom in both houses, yet we rather stay outside..

That's why like that now..

monkie

hi catus
understand abt the sourcing for love nest part.
my SIL and bf knows about such trends for buying condos nowadays is SPEED but they simply do not have the luxury of time to take leave during weekdays. so their ideal untits taken before they have time to react.
their AD will be somewhere next year but they already start sourcing for their love nest now. they give themselves 6 months or more to source for one.

parents always hope to see their children so as children got to scrafice a little bit for the exchange of peace and harmony at home.

cactus_79

Yeah, I agree with you that parents always hope to see their children.. and it's very tough staying with ILs cos my parents can't visit us so easily..likewise, my ILs can't visit us when we are at our parents' place.. so I guess both sides parents have their reasons to tell us not to stay 6 months/6 months but a couple of days here a couple of days there.

Actually, my husband and I started looking for our house since early 2006... cos our ROM was late 2006....but can't find suitable place or found already, too slow to place deposit. But I feel it's a blessing in disguise that we didn't buy in the initial months of our search cos we didn't quite know what we wanted and what we could afford.. now, I think we are better poised to make a wiser choice.

monkie

buying house needs good judgement and some luck as well.
when we choose our flats, we just went online and check out the location and availability. then next day happily went to HDB to place deposit. the interesting part is the launch of WIS happened more than a month ago and yet we can still get 6th floor when ppl queuing overnight.

we get the place so easily, no research, no overnight quening etc. ultimately, I am gald that my fiance likes that place a lot. its a humble house both of us can afford, and location wise - accessible to both side parents.

cactus_79

Yeah. there are soo many considerations for buying a house.

Initially, husband and I wanted a HDB flat near office area (we work around same place)... but because the flats were soo old (over 30 years old) and expensive, we were very very cautious with our purchase.

Then we decided to buy somewhere nearer my FIL's office... and about 3 MRT stations away from our office area... also HDB flat... (about 22 years old)...cos my FIL sends my husband to work every morning before going to work himself.. so more convenient for him.

Then, my husband said my FIL probably won't drive in about 4 years' time (when his car hits 10 years old) and my MIL said she won't be able to help us look after our kids if we have them late...

So now, we're looking for a place nearer to my parents cos my parents are much younger than my ILs and they are both able to drive with car for the next 9 years... and they are happy to care for our kids.

It's just amazing that in just 1.5years, circumstances have changed so much.

cactus_79

Yeah..it's a matter of luck and timing.
happy.gif

my husband and I have decided to just buy one place to live in until our retirement.. that's why we are very careful with our purchase. We don't believe in upgrading.. cos each time we sell and move, there is alot of cash outlay and stress (ie. renovation costs, costs and emotional stress of moving house, legal fees, stamp duty, agents' commission...). Not worth it.

My husband's sister bought a 4 room HDB flat from HDB 6 years ago. Now want to sell and upgrade to condo.. but she finds the prices of condo beyond her reach. Their combined income only increase by $2k since 6 years ago, but housing prices have increased by soo soo much.. further, being older now, they can't take such a long housing loan (in terms of repayment period) and their salary increase is nominal (if you consider over 6 years), so that also impacts on the amount of bank loan they plan to take. It's not easy to upgrade... unless, the market is going down and our salaries are going up.

That's why have to find a place that we are both comfortable with and must think long term.

monkie

for us, we dun have plans to shift that's why we go for EA.
dun really like to shift house, do renvo, go HDB for paper work etc.

some people like to shift house for "profits". we are just plain folks who just stay happy with our humble nest.

for us, we never think of buying Condo. firstly we can't afford. even we can afford, we think paying maintenance is not worth it. of cos i understand your case is ur combine salary exceed $8k, bo bian.

anyway, buying flat is a long term investment either to invest in money wise of satisfaction.
makret good today, doesn't mean market good tomorrow.

for example, jurong used to be unwanted place but now goverment is developing it. the rush is in bukit merah flats because its near town. but who knows one day if people find no incentitive to pay $400k for a 4 room flat, they might switch their attention to westen area.

all i can say, its a shared decision between my fiance and i to buy jurong west. wee will not point fingers at each other should anything goes wrong in future. for those criticism from relatives and friends, we simply shut them off.

merribell

Hi all,
Am facing the same problem as cactus_79...would also want to get just one house and live there happily and not move at all... my hubby and ROM first and we naively thought we would be able to get a new flat by balloting.. but we tried 3 times and we failed 3 times.. now give up hope already.. so looking for resale. But the prices for flats in the areas we want are so crazy so we have decided to move to my in laws place in the hougang area if we still can't find a unit that fits our budget. My in laws have offered to let us have the master bedroom (its a 4 room flat) as they only come back to Singapore over the weekend (they have business overseas) so for us, its quite a good solution... am really glad I found this thread cos I thought I am the only one in this predicament having seen many of my friends having the luck to get their balloted flats in good areas... so to all who are here, Jia You!
happy.gif

tingie

hiya ladies,

hmm contracticting cuz i hear most of my friends being not able to ballot for new flats succesfully.... hmmmm..

meanwhile, i am eyeing my neighbour's flat but they will only move out in late 2009 and my AD is late 2008. I have about the same idea as cactus's. Will stay at both places for a few days each... and to me i don't mind staying separately from my HTB for a few days too, if need be.. and the convenient factor plays a part, we are staying 15mins away from each other, in the same estate thats why.

i hope the property will not go too crazy, if noy my neighbour will sell me her flat much higher then valuation.. then i
sad.gif

tryphena

hey ladies, i m new to this thread and I had married for about 6 mths aldy.

i dun hv the 'An Chuang' tin for my AD as I dun hv a house except a room at my aunt's plc and she has a bed for us too so we din get a new bed. we had only moved back to my ILs place in May and there we got our new bed in and then we used our new bedsheets to lay. so I actually skip the part of 'An Chuang' in fact my SIL did wan us to do bt we secretly skipped it as we dun hv a hse nor a new bed.

wizmilo

Hi.
I'm new too! My AD will be before getting flat too coz the flat not ready yet. After our AD, we are thinking of staying separately, as per status quo i.e. But got alot of negative feedback on such arrangements, incl our parents. To us, we find it easier if we stay as per status quo, coz my place is kinda far for him to travel to wk from, and his place is rather small for my barang barang. Its also troublesome to move our stuff here and there le. Dunno how also. Anyway, my AD is in Dec so still got sometime to figure things out i guess...

drizzlestars

Hi YoYo,

Same here, my AD will be this end of Dec 07 but my house will only be ready by 1st quarter of 08. Thus, we had decided to stay separately till our hse is ready after our Ad. Of cos, parents dun really like the ideas but what is the point of renting a flat less than 3months as usually we need to rent at least for 6mths and I rather save the amount of money for new hse furnishing. :p hahahaha so i dun really care abt what the old folks say lah cos I feel it is more convenience and cost effective this way.
happy.gif

sleepydopeey

Hi gals,
didn't expect so msny people in the same situation..my AD is next year but coz the completed day is most prob around the same time as my AD so don't tink i can get all the reno done by then..was contemplating wat to do..=)

wizmilo

hmm... ya.. i still trying to convince my grandparents that we are only staying apart for a while only but honestly, we dunno how long HDB's gonna take coz when i pass by the other day, it still looks "raw". BTW, where are ur new houses? Scully we neighbors next time. =)

meiyan

Hi ladies,

My AD also end Dec07, i'm still looking for flats now.. I'm quite worried that i cant get a hse b4 AD.

junjun

Hi Cactus,
Sorry to reply so late. Long time din come in.
Hmm...well actually my parents and my FH dun mind us staying over my parents' place after AD, but my Grandma says that it is not advisable, she says like that my FH will not 'prosper', won't be able to "chu tou" (raise his head/ be successful".

Hi Cynthia,

decided to stay in IL's place after all.
FIL finally decided to make adjustments to accomodate me moving. So Year end will be clearing the room, repaint the house, and getting some new furnitures (will be moving my bed to new house when it's ready). Cham... my nose also super allergic, dunno how to tahan thru the Big Clear Up. Haa

sooch

ahh! I might be facing the same problem too! can't really count on the balloting and resale is too expensive. I dun think other pp who were married earlier understand coz getting a flat back then was easier. I dun mind living separately for the time being as opposed to staying with my ILs. I live west, my FH lives east, and we work two ends of the island as well. It'll be tough for me to move over there. Of coz, ideally I hope to be able to get a flat soon. Looking forward to the 10 oct balloting.

princessxiaomei

Hi all, i am new in this thread. =) Hmm.. my flat will only be ready in maybe 2010 or 2011 leh.. but my AD is next sept.. i have been staying with in laws for more than 2 years.. occassionally will be back at my mum's place.. we will be buying new bed when it's nearing our AD.. an chuang at in laws' place.. and when our own flat is ready, we will shift the bed back.

Anyway, who is doing the an chuang for you people?

foodietravel

and i thought my bf and i were having headache thinking of housing situation next year... good to see that we're all in the same boat...

not enuf $$$ to get condo, HDB limit does really limit us, property prices increasing, bf doesn't want to temporarily move into my parent's home...

Lynn, 'an chuang' ('chuang' as in bed) means something like choosing an auspicious date/time to place the new bed before AD. There shd be other threads where u can browse for more info
happy.gif

Of which, no new marital home to envision yet so i can't even think of 'an chuang'.

wizmilo

Anyone's spoken and convinced your parents/grandparents that you wan to stay at home until house ready? I spoken to them but they still strongly object leh... Not that I mind staying with the in-laws, just that its abit inconvenient to shift here shift there... Any suggestions how to convince huh?

sooch

thanks M, i'll read up more on it.

yoyo/M, looks like the situation's not so promising. For me, everything rests on whether I get to choose the flat i want or not. I've applied for the Oct Balloting but none of the flats are ideal even, so we're not sure what to do also. Our backup plan is for me to stay with my in-laws, but i'm not too keen as my bf's brother's family is already staying there - that makes 3 families in a 4-room flat. Plus the fact that i stay and work west while he stays and works east. if this housing arrangement is not permanent, what does this leave of my job? At least if I move permanently east/west or anywhere, I can consider changing my job to suit the location. How many times can I change my job this way? Buying a car is my last resort.

I've not tried speaking to my bf or my parents about staying put at home after AD if I still do not have a home. I'm open to it though. Yoyo, I dunno wat excuse you can give - anything about your job like in my case?
happy.gif

wizmilo

hmm..job lagi cannot coz my bf stay near redhill n i stay in the north. our ofc both in raffles place ...=(
still cracking my head..sigh

souler

Hi,
Heard the news that flat prices will cont'd to soar for the next 3 years... Sigh, dun noe how.. Hasn't look for a resale flat yet and FH insists to stay near MIL's place which is at Marine Parade and the prices there are crazy!! If still can't find our lovenest asap, it means I'm going to stay put at MIL's place longer..

chubby_ting

Hi All,
I am new here also... My AD in 09 but flat wouln't be ready till 2010.. hopefully can be earlier la... but dont know yet... so living with in-laws.. but told my HB that we shall run between my hse n his hse... his room is rather small actually... I dont mind we live seperately but I received alot of neg feedback also... but we r living quite far away... headache also...

maydeline

hey ppl.. my AD is also b4 my flat.. but no worries,we just keep our fingers cross that we will communicate well with our in-laws...

my AD is this Dec.. but only managed to book our unit last week.. gonna wait for the proceeding, to see if our loan is approved or not n etc.. earliest also early 2008 then can collect keys.. in-laws already 'mentally' prepared to 'welcome' me to stay in their house after AD, n wait til our new house is ready..

xmasnowy

ya lor.. lucky my FIL quite ok.. but havnt live together yet so hard to say rite.. haha...

but no choice lor.. i dun like resale flats mah.. hehe

maydeline

xmasnowy,
so where is the house that u bought? actually stay together 1st b4 moving over oso good lah,after banquet,can take the chance to save up for the furniture n things for the new house... can slowly source for furniture n theme u want when the date draws nearer to completion of the building of the flats

chubby_ting

Me AD 09 but flat ready by 2010... hopefull can 09 complete then dont need stay 2 long hehe.... but stay got pros ah... they can cook 4 u,clean up for you, etc hehe.....

chubby_ting

Me AD 09 but flat ready by 2010... hopefully can 09 complete then dont need stay 2 long hehe.... but stay got pros ah... they can cook 4 u,clean up for you, etc hehe.....

xmasnowy

haha.. but stay with in law oso quite inconvenient lor.. got to think abt them oso.. imagine so many ppl sharin a toilet.. haha

monkie

hi maydeline
which part of jurong west? when will be ready?
i didn't know juroong got on going construction work..thought their flats all done but just waiting for HDB to release only?

maydeline

hi cynthia,
my new house is at jurong west extension.. ya it's ready long ago,around 5 years liao bah,but always not release for purchase until this July.. we already booked the unit in Oct,but may not get the keys so early.. they say it's around 3-4months time.. now,is waiting for the letter loh...

maydeline

xmasnowy,

i got used to stay in jurong area,so dun wish to move away from west..
u stay at punggol, to me, it's very far haha.. but heard that punggol is prospering well eh!