Support group - Divorce

curious

Tan,

How can your family in the past survive with that little amount of take-home pay? Is it part of the reason for the separation?

curious

Tan,

How can your family in the past survive with that little amount of take-home pay? Is it part of the reason for the separation?

tan

i was earning a 'normal' salary until i was retrenched few months ago. i did not have a decent job due to the economy and currently, i'm recommended by someone to run office errands and i am paid this low.

tan

i was earning a 'normal' salary until i was retrenched few months ago. i did not have a decent job due to the economy and currently, i'm recommended by someone to run office errands and i am paid this low.

karen

I've decided to give up on my marriage. We have been married for 1yr+ and do not have any kids. The only asset we have in joint names is our flat.

I would like ask those who have gone thru a separation or divorce how to go abt this. There is no infidelity involved, the marriage broke down due to inreconcible differences. We have gone thru counselling and I've decided I do not want to try anymore. So many thanks to those who is thinking of asking me to try again.

My question is can I ask for a divorce instead of going thru a separation which takes 3-4 yrs. How can it be done and how much will it cost.

Thank you.

karen

I've decided to give up on my marriage. We have been married for 1yr+ and do not have any kids. The only asset we have in joint names is our flat.

I would like ask those who have gone thru a separation or divorce how to go abt this. There is no infidelity involved, the marriage broke down due to inreconcible differences. We have gone thru counselling and I've decided I do not want to try anymore. So many thanks to those who is thinking of asking me to try again.

My question is can I ask for a divorce instead of going thru a separation which takes 3-4 yrs. How can it be done and how much will it cost.

Thank you.

alhana

Hi Karen

Sorry to hear your marriage isn't working out. I don't think you will be granted a divorce immediately. My friend had to go thru 3 yrs of separation b4 she cld file for divorce as she was only married a few mths. I guess they want to give pple a chance to work things out coz the institution of marriage is a sacred one, and is supposed to be for life. You may want to chk out these websites for more details :

http://www.lawonline.com.sg/getting-a-divorce.htm

http://www.elegal.com.sg/index.php?p=diy_sub&articlepk=116#6

As for cost, its best to consult a lawyer about that.

alhana

Hi Karen

Sorry to hear your marriage isn't working out. I don't think you will be granted a divorce immediately. My friend had to go thru 3 yrs of separation b4 she cld file for divorce as she was only married a few mths. I guess they want to give pple a chance to work things out coz the institution of marriage is a sacred one, and is supposed to be for life. You may want to chk out these websites for more details :

http://www.lawonline.com.sg/getting-a-divorce.htm

http://www.elegal.com.sg/index.php?p=diy_sub&articlepk=116#6

As for cost, its best to consult a lawyer about that.

linda

I read that you have to be married for more than 3 years before you can file for divorce due to inreconcible differences ( no third party involved) assuming if both parties are agreeable and 4 years if either party is not agreeable.

So separation is needed.

linda

I read that you have to be married for more than 3 years before you can file for divorce due to inreconcible differences ( no third party involved) assuming if both parties are agreeable and 4 years if either party is not agreeable.

So separation is needed.

mimosa

Hi,
Sorry to hear abt that, but no, as linda and alhana mentioned, i'm afraid u will have to wait til after 3 or 4 years of separation. I know a gal who is waiting for her bf's divorce to be finalised, he has separated with his ex-wife for almost 2 years, so she can only marry him next year. Their story is a lot more complicated as the guy has a young son with his ex-wife.

Anyway, all the best, and i wish u happiness.
happy.gif

mimosa

Hi,
Sorry to hear abt that, but no, as linda and alhana mentioned, i'm afraid u will have to wait til after 3 or 4 years of separation. I know a gal who is waiting for her bf's divorce to be finalised, he has separated with his ex-wife for almost 2 years, so she can only marry him next year. Their story is a lot more complicated as the guy has a young son with his ex-wife.

Anyway, all the best, and i wish u happiness.
happy.gif

hopeless

Hi,

I would like to know how much is the lawyer fee for divorce case? I'm considering for a divorce. Has anyone or any friend who file for annulment even though they hv gone thru ROM & customary wedding for less than a year?

hopeless

Hi,

I would like to know how much is the lawyer fee for divorce case? I'm considering for a divorce. Has anyone or any friend who file for annulment even though they hv gone thru ROM & customary wedding for less than a year?

happygal

Hi Hopeless

If I remember correctly, it'll cost approx. $3,500 for the lawyer to handle annulment cases.

As long as you have married for less than 3 yrs and hv not consummate your marriage, the chances of successfully filing for annullment is rather high. But if you have gone thru the customary or hv shared properties (e.g flat), the chances r slimmer. And annullments cases r possible only when the 2 parties mutually agreed to it.

happygal

Hi Hopeless

If I remember correctly, it'll cost approx. $3,500 for the lawyer to handle annulment cases.

As long as you have married for less than 3 yrs and hv not consummate your marriage, the chances of successfully filing for annullment is rather high. But if you have gone thru the customary or hv shared properties (e.g flat), the chances r slimmer. And annullments cases r possible only when the 2 parties mutually agreed to it.

hopeless

Hi me,

That's really expensive!! The rate applies to annulment or divorce, rite? Actually, how do we "shop" for lawyers? How to check out the rate? Can u share the procedure with me? Thks!! To go thru this alone myself ain't easy, juz wanna get myself prepared for that stage.

hopeless

Hi me,

That's really expensive!! The rate applies to annulment or divorce, rite? Actually, how do we "shop" for lawyers? How to check out the rate? Can u share the procedure with me? Thks!! To go thru this alone myself ain't easy, juz wanna get myself prepared for that stage.

jazz

Hi Hopeless
I think that if you let your lawyer know your financial problem. They might agreed to let you pay the chrgs by instalments. u may try let them know your situation first. be in mind, not all lawyer go for $$. Some do hv feeling too.
If u gog to look for cheaper lawyer, I can help u as I know one lawyer whose chrgs is quite standard but no sure whether he want to take this case anot. cos he is a person that perfer not to take divorce cases. But treat it case to case basis.
Pls let me know whether u interested.

jazz

Hi Hopeless
I think that if you let your lawyer know your financial problem. They might agreed to let you pay the chrgs by instalments. u may try let them know your situation first. be in mind, not all lawyer go for $$. Some do hv feeling too.
If u gog to look for cheaper lawyer, I can help u as I know one lawyer whose chrgs is quite standard but no sure whether he want to take this case anot. cos he is a person that perfer not to take divorce cases. But treat it case to case basis.
Pls let me know whether u interested.

P

paipai

Hi Hopeless,

I just had my court hearing today for my annulment, which was a successful one. The lawyer fee cost us S$2.6K. Fyi, my & my ex-husband was ROMed for 3 1/2 years. Let me know if you're interested in getting the contact for my lawyer.....

P

paipai

Hi Hopeless,

I just had my court hearing today for my annulment, which was a successful one. The lawyer fee cost us S$2.6K. Fyi, my & my ex-husband was ROMed for 3 1/2 years. Let me know if you're interested in getting the contact for my lawyer.....

hi candice,

technically speaking, yes, you still have to pay alimony. if i am not wrong

hi candice,

technically speaking, yes, you still have to pay alimony. if i am not wrong

M

me

Hi Hopeless,

I just walked into a law firm and asked. Was quite scared at first but actually when the whole thing was over it was just procedures.

I went to a simple law firm in HDB area.

My FH is also a divorcee and he paid about $4K. His ex-wife sourced for the law firm. It's only a small firm.

But the payments are spaced over many months whereby when they complete certain procedures they will bill you accordingly for those services. You can call up and ask for a general quotation first.

M

me

Hi Hopeless,

I just walked into a law firm and asked. Was quite scared at first but actually when the whole thing was over it was just procedures.

I went to a simple law firm in HDB area.

My FH is also a divorcee and he paid about $4K. His ex-wife sourced for the law firm. It's only a small firm.

But the payments are spaced over many months whereby when they complete certain procedures they will bill you accordingly for those services. You can call up and ask for a general quotation first.

hopeless

Hi Jazz, Paipai & me,

Thanks for sharing your experiences & info. Am glad that the payment can be spread out in mths. Think I will call up some firm and ask. It's not easy for me to take a first step myself tho. Didn't wanna tell my friends and family as yet.
sad.gif

hopeless

Hi Jazz, Paipai & me,

Thanks for sharing your experiences & info. Am glad that the payment can be spread out in mths. Think I will call up some firm and ask. It's not easy for me to take a first step myself tho. Didn't wanna tell my friends and family as yet.
sad.gif

min

Hi,

any idea if we'll b granted the decree nisi absolute even though our flat is still in the process of finding a buyer, or do we hv to sell the flat 1st b/4 the court will grant us the decree nisi absolute??

min

Hi,

any idea if we'll b granted the decree nisi absolute even though our flat is still in the process of finding a buyer, or do we hv to sell the flat 1st b/4 the court will grant us the decree nisi absolute??

F

fq

hi all,

can anyone advice me if the date of divorce refers to the date of the decree nisi or the date of the decree nisi absolute?

F

fq

hi all,

can anyone advice me if the date of divorce refers to the date of the decree nisi or the date of the decree nisi absolute?

M

me

hi fq,

i think should be decree nisi absolute, 3 months after the decree nisi.

M

me

hi fq,

i think should be decree nisi absolute, 3 months after the decree nisi.

help

Can someone pls help me regarding divorce? I want to divorce what shld I do first? Any lawyers to recommend?

help

Can someone pls help me regarding divorce? I want to divorce what shld I do first? Any lawyers to recommend?

deeppurple

I desperately need help on how to divorce my husband now. We are married for less than two years and he is having an affair outside. We just got our new flat in May and by the way he already shifted out.
The thing is that we are both heavily in debts and he has no money now. But he keep coming to me for money and pay his credit card bill. He also expect me to foot everything for the divorce. If I dun pay for him, he threaten he will make me lost my rice bowl.

Is there any good recommedations for lawyer or is there any welfare association to help?
Mentally and financially torture!

deeppurple

I desperately need help on how to divorce my husband now. We are married for less than two years and he is having an affair outside. We just got our new flat in May and by the way he already shifted out.
The thing is that we are both heavily in debts and he has no money now. But he keep coming to me for money and pay his credit card bill. He also expect me to foot everything for the divorce. If I dun pay for him, he threaten he will make me lost my rice bowl.

Is there any good recommedations for lawyer or is there any welfare association to help?
Mentally and financially torture!

coven

get hard evidence of his affair.

if his credit card debts arent for both of u, to the hell with him. he's in the wrong and expect u to foot all for divorce... tel him to dream on. y do u feel threaten when he threatened to make u lose ur rice bowl when it isnt U who committed adultry?

try contacting AWARE. they might be able to help u out with contacts.

coven

get hard evidence of his affair.

if his credit card debts arent for both of u, to the hell with him. he's in the wrong and expect u to foot all for divorce... tel him to dream on. y do u feel threaten when he threatened to make u lose ur rice bowl when it isnt U who committed adultry?

try contacting AWARE. they might be able to help u out with contacts.

ane

Hi Eve,

Divorce is a very complicated process esp u guys only married for merely 2 yrs. If u have concrete evidence of him having an affair, u can sue him for adultery and u can appeal to the judge to order him to pay for the legal fees.

i do have a lawyer which can recommend to you, but i dont think will be good to post it here. let me have yr email address and i send it to u

Take Care

ane

Hi Eve,

Divorce is a very complicated process esp u guys only married for merely 2 yrs. If u have concrete evidence of him having an affair, u can sue him for adultery and u can appeal to the judge to order him to pay for the legal fees.

i do have a lawyer which can recommend to you, but i dont think will be good to post it here. let me have yr email address and i send it to u

Take Care

fritt

If you give him one inch he will take a foot. Don't be taken in by his threaten. Go to a lawyer to know more about your rights and protect your own interest. Don't give him any more money since you are going separate ways! Collect evidence of his adultery and go to the police to take down his threatens in record, it may come into use when you need it in court as proofs.

fritt

If you give him one inch he will take a foot. Don't be taken in by his threaten. Go to a lawyer to know more about your rights and protect your own interest. Don't give him any more money since you are going separate ways! Collect evidence of his adultery and go to the police to take down his threatens in record, it may come into use when you need it in court as proofs.