Support group - Divorce

S

still thinking

If registered (ROM) for under a year and have not gone thru customary, is it possible to file for annulment ?

S

still thinking

If registered (ROM) for under a year and have not gone thru customary, is it possible to file for annulment ?

monica

Hi Divorce,
I've got a friend that just went thru the same thing. Do u mean to say that the property is not in your name? And solely under your husband's name? How long have you been married? And do u have any proofs that you've been sharing the household expenses? Need solid proof. My friend who was married for 4 years was sued adultery by her husband. There were alot of complications. The name of their house was solely under her husband's name. And she did pay for house hold expenses which she has reciepts for but the court says that there is no proof that the amount was made by her. Plus her husband out of anger claim that she did not contribute at all. In the end she only got 25% of the property.

I'm not sure if they will be granted a divorce quickly if base on adultery. I heard that they do. However, if you can proof that you have not slept/lived with your husband for 3/4 years you can get a divorce faster based on the fact that you are already seperated. Basically the shorter time you are married the lesser the wife gets if your name is not in any property. I'm not sure if i'm right. But if you are planning to get a divorce, best is to consult a lawyer on what you should do first. But before making a harsh decision do see if you can work things out. Maybe you don't need to divorce after all.
GOOD LUCK!! : )

monica

Hi Divorce,
I've got a friend that just went thru the same thing. Do u mean to say that the property is not in your name? And solely under your husband's name? How long have you been married? And do u have any proofs that you've been sharing the household expenses? Need solid proof. My friend who was married for 4 years was sued adultery by her husband. There were alot of complications. The name of their house was solely under her husband's name. And she did pay for house hold expenses which she has reciepts for but the court says that there is no proof that the amount was made by her. Plus her husband out of anger claim that she did not contribute at all. In the end she only got 25% of the property.

I'm not sure if they will be granted a divorce quickly if base on adultery. I heard that they do. However, if you can proof that you have not slept/lived with your husband for 3/4 years you can get a divorce faster based on the fact that you are already seperated. Basically the shorter time you are married the lesser the wife gets if your name is not in any property. I'm not sure if i'm right. But if you are planning to get a divorce, best is to consult a lawyer on what you should do first. But before making a harsh decision do see if you can work things out. Maybe you don't need to divorce after all.
GOOD LUCK!! : )

kpo

hi still thinking,

yes...it's possible to file for annulment as long as the reason(s) is/are valid.

my friend just filed for hers (ROM-ed for slightly more than a yr) 'cos the guy was abusing and stalking her.

kpo

hi still thinking,

yes...it's possible to file for annulment as long as the reason(s) is/are valid.

my friend just filed for hers (ROM-ed for slightly more than a yr) 'cos the guy was abusing and stalking her.

lisa

I am not going thru a divorce, nor do I know of anyone going thru one, but I hope u dun't mind my responding. I *think* that in the eyes of the law, if you start a relationship anytime before the divorce is final, it is considered adultery. But of course, I could be completely wrong - maybe it only applies to sexual relations.

I heard from my colleague that the person who solemnised my marriage, Dr Anamah Tan is a divorce lawyer.

I wish you all the best, and am sorry that it has come to this.

lisa

I am not going thru a divorce, nor do I know of anyone going thru one, but I hope u dun't mind my responding. I *think* that in the eyes of the law, if you start a relationship anytime before the divorce is final, it is considered adultery. But of course, I could be completely wrong - maybe it only applies to sexual relations.

I heard from my colleague that the person who solemnised my marriage, Dr Anamah Tan is a divorce lawyer.

I wish you all the best, and am sorry that it has come to this.

D

divorce

Dear Monica,

Did you friend really commit adultery or was her husband just maligning her?

D

divorce

Dear Monica,

Did you friend really commit adultery or was her husband just maligning her?

monica

Hi Divorce,
In her case. Her husband was having adultery before they even marry she found out only during the divorce. She tried for years to save her marriage. She was in an abusive (mentally and physically) marriage. When her husband found out about her affair he immediately chased her out of the house and filed for a divorce. They just got Decree Nisi absolute and is trying to sell the house now and her husband is in a hurry cos he's marrying the other girl.
Her affair didn't last. Cos she found out that the guy was married

monica

Hi Divorce,
In her case. Her husband was having adultery before they even marry she found out only during the divorce. She tried for years to save her marriage. She was in an abusive (mentally and physically) marriage. When her husband found out about her affair he immediately chased her out of the house and filed for a divorce. They just got Decree Nisi absolute and is trying to sell the house now and her husband is in a hurry cos he's marrying the other girl.
Her affair didn't last. Cos she found out that the guy was married

tan

I m in the middle of a divorce. My wife filed for divorce and I got Legal Aid to represent me.I've went once to the court. And now it has been about 4 months, Legal Aid has not contacted me. When I called them and ask, they said they were still processing. Processing what? Because we do not have a flat together,no assets. The only thing she is asking for is maintenance for her and our son which comes up to $900+ per month and her lawyer fees (by the way, do you know how much lawyers charge for divorce (approximate amount?). I only take home about $500 a month. I got the proof like the CPF statements, letter from employer, etc.

So right now although there is no news from Legal Aid regarding the divorce, I was sent a letter to attend court to pay up the maintenance fees which I have owed her. I called up Legal Aid and they said they are not involved in this because she was not represented by her laywer in this matter. If I have not enough money to pay, will I be jailed? The law favours women more I heard, how true is this?

And is it possible that she wants to settle the maintenance fees with me 1st before going on with the divorce?

Hope you can help...don't know what to do now.....

tan

I m in the middle of a divorce. My wife filed for divorce and I got Legal Aid to represent me.I've went once to the court. And now it has been about 4 months, Legal Aid has not contacted me. When I called them and ask, they said they were still processing. Processing what? Because we do not have a flat together,no assets. The only thing she is asking for is maintenance for her and our son which comes up to $900+ per month and her lawyer fees (by the way, do you know how much lawyers charge for divorce (approximate amount?). I only take home about $500 a month. I got the proof like the CPF statements, letter from employer, etc.

So right now although there is no news from Legal Aid regarding the divorce, I was sent a letter to attend court to pay up the maintenance fees which I have owed her. I called up Legal Aid and they said they are not involved in this because she was not represented by her laywer in this matter. If I have not enough money to pay, will I be jailed? The law favours women more I heard, how true is this?

And is it possible that she wants to settle the maintenance fees with me 1st before going on with the divorce?

Hope you can help...don't know what to do now.....

linee

I think the legal fee for divorce case is abt $2000 - $2500. U can call Hon & Partner to have free consultation.

linee

I think the legal fee for divorce case is abt $2000 - $2500. U can call Hon & Partner to have free consultation.

tan

so expensive? for the straightforward kind, thought it is about $800 onwards? everything is straightforward in my case except that she wants to fight for a higher maintenance fee.

tan

so expensive? for the straightforward kind, thought it is about $800 onwards? everything is straightforward in my case except that she wants to fight for a higher maintenance fee.

M

mw

Ya agree wif Linee.... if u got flat, assets, children custody to fight then will cost a lot more.
and the gov law here are more advantage to women.

M

mw

Ya agree wif Linee.... if u got flat, assets, children custody to fight then will cost a lot more.
and the gov law here are more advantage to women.

bitbit

If she earns more than you, you can negotiate a lower amt. The courts are quite fair, they take into account your financial standings and stuff. Note: They can't touch your personal savings. Its how much your monthly pay that counts.

Talk to a lawyer. Fees are about $2500. Please bear in mind that you might be asked to pay your ex-wife lawyer fees if the divorce is granted. The longer you drag, the more you pay.

bitbit

If she earns more than you, you can negotiate a lower amt. The courts are quite fair, they take into account your financial standings and stuff. Note: They can't touch your personal savings. Its how much your monthly pay that counts.

Talk to a lawyer. Fees are about $2500. Please bear in mind that you might be asked to pay your ex-wife lawyer fees if the divorce is granted. The longer you drag, the more you pay.

tan

she filed for the divorce do i need to pay? we were married for less than 3 years and she was seeing another guy. i tried to talk to her many times but she insisted on a divorce. she asked me to file for a divorce which i did not want to. So she went ahead filing for a divorce for unreasonable behavior. all the claims she made in the document were not true at all. things like i was violent, forced her to have oral sex, etc... But my laywer from legal aid advised me to admit some of them in order the divorce to be granted. it was very unfair to me when she was the one who was at fault (saw her holding hands with a guy). initially, i have been giving in alot and really do not wish to divorce but what is the point? i would like to know since i have admitted the claims, will the law be more disadv to me? legal aid seem not to be giving me alot of advices.

tan

she filed for the divorce do i need to pay? we were married for less than 3 years and she was seeing another guy. i tried to talk to her many times but she insisted on a divorce. she asked me to file for a divorce which i did not want to. So she went ahead filing for a divorce for unreasonable behavior. all the claims she made in the document were not true at all. things like i was violent, forced her to have oral sex, etc... But my laywer from legal aid advised me to admit some of them in order the divorce to be granted. it was very unfair to me when she was the one who was at fault (saw her holding hands with a guy). initially, i have been giving in alot and really do not wish to divorce but what is the point? i would like to know since i have admitted the claims, will the law be more disadv to me? legal aid seem not to be giving me alot of advices.

linee

If u married less than 3 years is not divorce, there is a term call void of marriage and both u status will be to single. But the problems is u have a son, so my advise to you is better to talk to your lawyer.

My friend is a lawyer but he couldn't give much advise as he don know yr actual story.

linee

If u married less than 3 years is not divorce, there is a term call void of marriage and both u status will be to single. But the problems is u have a son, so my advise to you is better to talk to your lawyer.

My friend is a lawyer but he couldn't give much advise as he don know yr actual story.

tan

i have already spoken to the lawyer from legal aid. they do not really answer my questions like which stage the divorce is in now and other queries like maintenance. they will just say "still processing". i do not know where my stand now. it has been like months since i ws asked to attend court and whenever i called them up, they will give me the same answer. i was thinking of switching to lawyers outside but because i still owed some arrears in maintenance i can't afford to. i actually still owed maintenance arrears about $2K. will the court want me to pay off everything in one shot or in instalments?

tan

i have already spoken to the lawyer from legal aid. they do not really answer my questions like which stage the divorce is in now and other queries like maintenance. they will just say "still processing". i do not know where my stand now. it has been like months since i ws asked to attend court and whenever i called them up, they will give me the same answer. i was thinking of switching to lawyers outside but because i still owed some arrears in maintenance i can't afford to. i actually still owed maintenance arrears about $2K. will the court want me to pay off everything in one shot or in instalments?

U

ufm

Tan, since you keep saying Legal Aid just replied you "still processing", either haunt them every minute for a confirmed reply, or you can simply change lawyer.

Also, you said what your wife said in those documents are false, you can also give false documents! In that way, maybe you don't need to pay maintenance for them at all.

U

ufm

Tan, since you keep saying Legal Aid just replied you "still processing", either haunt them every minute for a confirmed reply, or you can simply change lawyer.

Also, you said what your wife said in those documents are false, you can also give false documents! In that way, maybe you don't need to pay maintenance for them at all.

weiwei

Don't give false evidence. Just stick to the truth, that she filed for divorce because she has another man. This is a key factor which determines whether you have to pay maintenance to her.

weiwei

Don't give false evidence. Just stick to the truth, that she filed for divorce because she has another man. This is a key factor which determines whether you have to pay maintenance to her.

M

mr.noname

this is something man usually regret afterwards.... they are too soft to their wife and always "want them to be happy" but in the end they got the worse end of the deal.

This is an advise to all man, if you ever see your wife fooling around, GET A PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR, only a certified one can testify in the courts. If it is your wife that strays, you don't have to pay any maintenence at all.

This happened to my friend's friend. He didn't want to do something so "evil" to his wife, now he's going have to pay maintenence even though it was the wife who strayed and he's going lose the house, car etc etc......

Adultery have to be proven, or else it would be your word against her word, which I believe the courts would be slighly on the womens's side

M

mr.noname

this is something man usually regret afterwards.... they are too soft to their wife and always "want them to be happy" but in the end they got the worse end of the deal.

This is an advise to all man, if you ever see your wife fooling around, GET A PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR, only a certified one can testify in the courts. If it is your wife that strays, you don't have to pay any maintenence at all.

This happened to my friend's friend. He didn't want to do something so "evil" to his wife, now he's going have to pay maintenence even though it was the wife who strayed and he's going lose the house, car etc etc......

Adultery have to be proven, or else it would be your word against her word, which I believe the courts would be slighly on the womens's side

tan

previously i did not have a fixed job. i was actually freelancing and my salary varies between $500-$700. i told the judge this but she insisted i must have proof for my salary eg cpf statement, employment letter, etc...i do not have such proof as i was doing freelance jobs? so in the end, i got a proper job that pays $600 in order to get proof. i felt that i was being forced as i enjoy my freelance job better. the judge was so fierce also!!

tan

previously i did not have a fixed job. i was actually freelancing and my salary varies between $500-$700. i told the judge this but she insisted i must have proof for my salary eg cpf statement, employment letter, etc...i do not have such proof as i was doing freelance jobs? so in the end, i got a proper job that pays $600 in order to get proof. i felt that i was being forced as i enjoy my freelance job better. the judge was so fierce also!!

prettyinpink

tan
i have a friend who after the divorce did not have to pay maintenance at all because his salary is very low. i don't know about ur case tho.

hope u can get alot of advices and information here.

prettyinpink

tan
i have a friend who after the divorce did not have to pay maintenance at all because his salary is very low. i don't know about ur case tho.

hope u can get alot of advices and information here.

tan

hi all, i went to the family court today and the judge ordered me to pay $200 every month for maintenance despite that i take home only 480 monthly (after cpf deductions). i produced my pay slip. i even brought a long my bills which amount to $150 monthly to prove. she chided me that 200 is a very reasonable amount already, by right i should pay $400. i heard that i can appeal. how do i go about it?

tan

hi all, i went to the family court today and the judge ordered me to pay $200 every month for maintenance despite that i take home only 480 monthly (after cpf deductions). i produced my pay slip. i even brought a long my bills which amount to $150 monthly to prove. she chided me that 200 is a very reasonable amount already, by right i should pay $400. i heard that i can appeal. how do i go about it?