Shangri-la Hotel

cactus_79

hi deli lampchop,
when's your AD?! Mine's in Sept. Am using the tower ballroom too.
happy.gif

deli_lambchop

Hi Cactus,

Mine's still a long time more haha... late next year! I'm using the Island Ballroom, coz' I really love the foyer area and everything!

pinkiez

hi,

just wanted to ask ... does anyone have a timeline for tasks that we should be doing now?

I've so far settled my AD stuff & PS. Is it too early to start tailoring dresses for my bridesmaid? I've decided to check out the florists soon. Besides that, I feel uncomfortably free. Haha ... just want to know what other september brides are doing now.

=P

chendol

Hi Pinkiez...

dun think it's ever too early to tailor dresses for bridesmaid... have you found / confirmed a tailor you like? the more time you have, the more relaxed you will be when it comes to finding out whether your bridesmaid likes the design, or if alterations need to be made after the dress is produced.

Also you need to know the schedule of yr tailor and how long she needs to take.
happy.gif

Enjoy the 'free' periods... do you need to renovate your home? that's the other main thing that took up our time, when we were 'free' from wedding planning.
happy.gif

pinkiez

Well, I have yet to contact the tailor. Was thinking of Kim recommended by most girls from this forum. But may check out other tailors as well.

Renovation wise ... waiting for the tenant to shift out before we can commence any reno works.

Thanks twinkle for the info. I don't feel so guilty now. Perhaps with the upcoming reno, I will be busier.

chendol

If you don't need very posh service, but reliable and quick, there's a tailoring shop (tiny with 5 seamstresses sewing away everyday) at Tanjong Pagar Plaza that I used for my bridesmaids shantung silk dresses. Boss is called Sharon, shop called Sharon's Tailor, on second floor. very affordable prices. you should have a good idea of the design you'd like and some pictures. She has some pictures at the shop for you to point at pick, but not very wide ranging. and no pix of her creations, only ready made pieces that happen to be in her shop at that time.
happy.gif

pinkiez

Hi Twinkle,

Is Shantung Silk better to work with? Coz I was thinking of going to Arab street to buy the material. But I don't know the designs that my bridesmaid have chosen so I'm worried that the shantung silk might not be suitable for the design they picked.

I think I'll go check her out when I go check out shoes @ leapin lizard.

mas22

Hi all,
I am considering to hold my dinner at Shang, but the hotel location is not v convenient for those taking MRT, anyone got better idea how to solve this prob?

Thanx!

celinetan

Hi all, I'm new here. Can anyone send me their package for my ref? I'm considering to use Shangri-la for my wedding in 2008.

If you have the 2008 price details, please also attach together.

Please e-mail it to [email protected].

Thank you

Cheers,
Celine

wedding_girl

M|M,
unfortunately that's the problem with shang - the location. but if you're happy with everything else at Shang, then just go for it. other hotels that maybe in a central location may have other issues you have to deal with, eg, at Swissotel, your guests may have a problem with finding parking. however, if you know that a majority of your guests will be coming by train or bus, then you may want to get somewhere more accessible. just my opinion, hope it helps.
happy.gif

chendol

hi, just came back from honeymoon!

pinkiez, I think shantung silk is easy to work with. when i was bridesmaid for a friend and she had another design we also used shantung and it worked. unless u are going for something very drapey like chiffon.

have you visited Sharon already?

pinkiez

Twinkle,

not yet coz I haven't found time to go buy the material yet. Will definitely make a trip down.

M|M,

Melanie is my coordinator. I think she's great! She's on the ball and is quite flexible during negotiation.

wedding girl,

I did think of the transport situation before. I even thought of hiring a mini bus to shuttle my guests to-and-fro to the MRT. But in the end, I think the guests would prob take a cab to the hotel instead of take the minibus, considering they are in formal attire. If you have any ideas, please share with us too.

wedding_girl

Twinkle,
welcome back! how was your honeymoon? where did you go to?

M|M and pinkiez,
regarding transport, i never really considered it a problem for me, cos i think most of my guests drive. if that's not the case for you, then maybe you can consider the minibus option, but i think your guests generally would have no problems getting there on their own. also, that would give you another headache to coordinate. just my thoughts on this...
happy.gif

cactus_79

Just my personal thoughts - close friends would usually make it a point to attend your wedding even though it may be inconvenient or even on a weekday... I thought Fullerton would be a very convenient location for my guests for my engagement party, but eventually, realised it inconvenienced my guests who drove cos the of the long walk from the carpark at One Fullerton!

chendol

honeymoon was great! NZ was gorgeous. blessed with great weather too.

transport wise, those who don't drive will just cab in. and no lack of cabs usually after the dinner. although if yours is an exceptionally big dinner, and the other ballroom is also used for a wedding, then might have a longer queue...

deli_lambchop

actually, i think they have more than 2 coordinators at shang... coz' mine's Veronica
happy.gif
And she's great! Gave me some additional stuff for my hotel stay =)

Does anyone know if shang has certain themes they can work on? Like Intercontinental, they have four themes for weddings... or do we just come up with our own and Shang can try to work around it?

redberry8080

hi gals

wow so good that they give you additional stuff....I also book mine in shang but they are not willing to give me much of the thing i ask for
sad.gif

chendol

don't think shang has certain themes. only different florists, who can customise to your desired colour scheme and theme (if any).
happy.gif

joenbby

hi all brides to be...

I've just recently decided on Shang, haven't chat with them about anything yet. Can anyone advise me what to bargain with them? The only think i know is free corkage. What else do i have to look out for when i meet up with them.

As for the coordinators, is it rude to choose who you want to be as i heard melanie is great, haven't really heard much about jean but she doesn't seems to reply my email soon enough.

Anyone have pics to share for shang decor?

Thanks!

[email protected]

chendol

Jean's okay, usually efficient. she usually replies very promptly to my mails. can always resend as reminder, sometimes they get very swamped then miss some mails.

when's your wedding joenbby?

wedding_girl

yep, i find jean ok too. you can call if she doesn't reply emails, as she;s out quite often meeting couples.

hey twinkle, saw from the Christian brides thread that you used Christopher Tay as your VG. care to share your experience with him? i've shortlisted him. can PM me if it's not convenient here. thanks!

joenbby

Mine's is early next year...still deciding dates.

Anyone knows jennifer from shang? is she a coordinator or wat's her position there?

chendol

Hi Chris Tay is great! Unassuming and reliable. think his work is good too. husband and wife team. she helps edit.

however he's been quite swamped. so my video is taking a few months to get ready... so be prepared for delay in receiving final product. my express highlights was superbly done on that day itself though!

wedding_girl

hi yelody,
am looking around for a VG too. have you met up with anyone? so far i've met up with 3, but was only just ok with one of them, did't like the other 2.

wedding_girl

hi yelody,
met up with brilliant pic, dawn lee and substance. i haven't exactly 'fallen' for any of them. you?

hi Dawn,
that's a really vague question. hard to give advice like that.

lil_muffin

hi wedding girl,

well am considering between Shang and Four Seasons. Heard some of my friends who held their wedding at Shange were happy with their package.

and i just heard from a fellow bride that Four Seasons is going to have their bridal show in June (finally!)

so might go Shang to see the rooms and then to Four Seasons to see what they offer at the wedding fair.

wedding_girl

dawn, i think you will be happy at either hotels; both are good hotels in terms of service and food. i guess it all depends on how big a wedding you're going to have. Four Seasons ballroom isn't very big.

lil_muffin

oh .. saw the FS ballrooms today and the co-ordinator was sharing with me the perks they will be offering at the bridal show.

my hubby and i find the offer quite attractive. So we might see if we can down size the crowd to like 30 tables ..

thank you wedding girl for the info.

When's your AD?

wedding_girl

welcome Dawn! yep the problem with Four Seasons is you'll need to keep your guest list very small. there's no way i can do that, so no choice, have to take Shang. and if you can get extra perks during the show, then i think that's great.

my AD is 28 June 08, but banquet will be the second day. when's yours?

googleme

Hi wedding gal / Dawn,

I had my wedding at Shang yrs back and had a unforgetable night. Friends and relatives complimented on their food and services. As for me, i had great help from my co-ordinator and floor manager for the night

Shang is definately worth the money spent.

nectarine

Hi,

Am new to this thread. Would like to share my experience thus far with Shang.

My partner and I have more or less set our minds on Shang especially after our second meeting with Melanie.

Personally, I think she is very professional and sincere. We witnessed for ourselves how she made sure things are in order, even the smallest slightest details as there was a wedding going on when we went to meet her.

In comparison with other 5* hotels now (with all the prices increased), the package she is offering us, after negotiations, is very reasonable.

As for Four Seasons, I find them rather sticky with some of the package entitlements. But with the wedding show coming up, they may be able to offer more perks I guess. =)

namie1234

Hello, I am new here. I am intending to choose Shangri-La for my AD banquet for about 55-60 table (island ballroom) for Nov 2008.

any ideas on the perks there?

Thanks for sharing!

googleme

Hi Jacqueline,

Based on my past experiences (old shang bride), the perks are pretty standard.

However the more tables that you confirm, the better the perks will be.

I remember for me,65 tables, shang up my parking coupons to 40%, 1 extra night stay, lower cost for cockage, better pricing for barrels of beer, discounted rates for guests if staying overnight.

Cant totally recall the details... Normally such established hotels dun give any fantastic perks