New Zealand

curio

HI Zenn,

I stayed at Lake Matheson Motel. There're several motels in FG, so don't worry. FG is really very small, as is most other towns in NZ. I think when I say small, you can't imagine how small. You'll know what I mean when you are in NZ, haha!...then tell me what you think hor!

I went to the lake at about 7 plus in the morning as it's said that the lake is most beautiful in the morning and evening. And indeed it is!

Stussy,
Mac's can only be found in the major cities eg Christchurch, Queenstown, and Dunedin.

cassie

hi curio, how long did you take to walk to the lake? am wondering if i've got enough time after sunrise to get there early enough
happy.gif
is the trail clearly marked?

zenn

Hi curio,
Oh no wonder all motels indicated they are near to town haha So beside the walk and lake, anything else to do in FG?

Anyone knows what time is the sunset in Oct?

curio

HI Cassie,

the trail at the lake is clearly marked, just need to follow. The whole trek is about an hour but I didn't do that, just took a 20-min walk to a look-out point.

Zenn,

Nothing much in FG. The glacier walk is the highlight. FYI, sunset in Oct is at about 8-9 pm. The days are therefore very long!

missy

HI Zenn,

lake matheson is very nice. go for the hour walk, its really worth the walk. cannot compare to the 20 min look out point. do you know that lake is the most senic taken location for photographers. i even bought a place mat of lake matheson(NZ5) and i place it on my fridge.,,.so beautiful. i went in the morning where the air is fresh and the trail are easily seen. FG will be a better choice as mentioned it is nearer to the lake.

as for food, in FG, there are mainly restaurants which are about NZ20 per person. it's kinda ex. if you want to save, do buy some food before you reach FG town as the convenience store stuffs aren't cheap at all. we basically gave ourselves a good treat after the glacier walk
happy.gif
as for other towns, you can eat economically at fast food branches. we eat lotsa KFC and subway though.

cassie

thanks curio
happy.gif
sunset 8-9pm! that's great! i asked someone in kaikoura and they said around 6pm
sad.gif
then someone in greymouth i think said 8pm. so was mighty confused ;p

missy

Hi Zenn,

7 plus is pretty ideal as you can enjoy the morning and start on your journey to Queenstown via Wanaka. if i remembered correctly, the journey from FG to queenstown is pretty long so we actually stop by at Wanaka for a day. and lake wanaka is really nice...the lake is just beside the i-stop and opp the lake is a subway. you can dine and enjoy the lake with the backdrop of mt aspiring. so romantic. i am really missing NZ badly
sad.gif

ms_tay

hi all

i'm planng a 13D F & E to South Island dis Sept

after reading the above, i'm getting real excited

but till date, i could not derive with my itinerary

can anyone help me pls?

thxs a zillion

ekiror

I went early this yr but was disappointed with Lake Matheson. Probably because that day was windy...so the water is not as calm as other days.... You need calm water to see the beautiful reflection. Anyone got any pics of Lake Matheson to share?

ms_tay

Hi Stussy

dats the problem

after reading ur iti, i'm getting very confused

wat i can start off could be Christchurch to Greymouth by train, as per your suggestion

i try to cut down on self drive

ms_tay

i've heard of the coach dat can bring u ard

anyone has any idea how it worked??

is it advisable to drive or to take coach ard??

pls advise.

thxs!!

stussy

Hi Tay,
If i am not wrong, the train only operates 1 trip a day. So if u missed it, then gotta wait till next day.

Of course it will be very taxing to drive but considering the freedom to wake up whatever time u want, stop whenever u want, its worth driving i think.

But i have not been there yet. Going in Sept.

ekiror

Best is to drive yourselves. Like what Stussy says, you get to see lots of stuff and get to stop to take beautiful scenic pics.
The roads are abit winding though. But should be ok if you observed the speed limits, especially at West Coast.

kite~

Latest News: Storm rips through central NZ, blocking highways and railroads

WELLINGTON - A powerful winter storm battered central New Zealand yesterday, ripping a section of the roof from the capital's main airport and blocking key highways and railroads with snow and debris, the authorities said.

Snow blankets the pasture around historic sheep drover's hut near Rotorua. Wild weather has plagued New Zealand this year. -- REUTERS
Wellington's airport and passenger ferry services were closed down because of the gale-force winds and pounding seas.

Gusts of winds blowing at up to 180kmh downed several trees and power lines, said police spokesman Andre Kowalczyk.

Floods, mudslides and fallen trees created traffic snarls in Wellington, he said. On major highways in some areas, traffic was reduced to a single lane.

There were no reports of deaths.

New Zealand has been repeatedly hit by wild weather this year, with heavy snowfalls on South Island triggering avalanches last week and torrential rainfall causing devastating flooding in February and last month.

Yesterday, waves up to 14.5m high were recorded just outside Wellington's harbour, said the harbour master, Captain Mike Pryce.

The first reported injury in the storm was that of a seaman who broke a leg on a freight ferry crossing Cook Strait between North and South islands early yesterday.

Overnight winds stripped off part of the main airport terminal's roof, blowing debris across the closed runway.

Dozens of other roofs were also damaged, police said.

Storm-force winds and high tides dumped seaweed and debris on coastal roads, adding to the hazardous driving conditions.

Across southern North Island, heavy snow closed scores of highways and smaller roads, cutting access to some rural areas.

The Wairarapa farming region north of the capital was on flood alert after up to 200mm of rain fell and swollen rivers threatened to overflow.

Weather forecaster Augie Auer said the storm had virtually brought the east coast to a standstill, and it would 'be a long slow clearance...with the very strong winds easing only slowly during the day.

kite~

Hi zenn,

My NZ friend bought some brochures back for me. Thought of sharing it with you. :p

Hotair balloon - U can take from Methven village at christchurch. Methven village is nestled at the base of Mt. Hutt from where many of these adventures like hot air balloon, skiing n etc are operate. www.ashburtontourism.co.nz

Oh ya, there is this so called "Inland Scenic Route 72" which is very beautiful and spectacular. This route 72 starts from Amberley -> Oxford -> Glentunnel -> Mount Hutt -> Mount Somers -> Mayfield -> Geraldine -> Winchester

zenn

Hi all,

Thanks kite! I don't see hot air ballon service in the web leh. I may ve problem takin it in christchurch cos I am taking train to greymouth at 8+ in the morning....

What is inland scenic route?

kite~

hi zenn,

the inland scenic route is where they recommend that if u passby there, do drive along this route 72 as it's beautiful n scenic.
happy.gif

here is the website of scenic route 72
happy.gif
So called the best of the south island.
http://www.nzscenicroute.com/

piper_chung

dear all,

husband and i are thinking of going to NZ. I know that Air New Zealand has some special promotion periodically. Any one has any idea how much a 2-3 weeks of holiday in New Zealand will cost? We are not luxury travellers and are willing to backpack. Any good and cheap accommodation in NZ?

Another question is, anyone knows the airfare from Sydney to NZ? I have relatives in Australia so chances are we will stay with them for 1 week before moving downwards to NZ.

Thanks for helping!

eggie

hi Piper, you can fly through Qantas. There are flights that transit at Sydney or Melbourne before proceeding to New Zealand. Hope it helps
happy.gif

piper_chung

hi Eggie,

thanks for the information. Will try to source out the timing and airfare from my aunties.

When is a good time to go? We were planning to go a couple of months back and found out that there were floods in certain parts of New Zealand. Seems like NZ is rather prone to flood, ya?

maylim

Hi All

I am back again... he he... i finally planned my draft itineray... can anyone advise me whether is my itineary workable?
1) Day 1 - Sin/Christchurch
2) Day 2 - Reach Christchurch abt 10.35am, check in hotel, city tour (overnite)
3) Day 3 - Christchurch to Greymouth (thru the alph train)-reach at 12.45pm,collect car-see puaninik rock(???hrs)-fox glacier (overnite)
4) Day 4 - Fox glacier half day tour-lake wanaka-arrowntown-queentown (6hrs) (overnite)
5) Day 5 ¡V Queenstown-glengory(horse riding, lords of the rings locations)-queenstown (overnite)
6) Day 6 - Queenstown-milford sound-queenstown (overnite)
7) Day 7 - Queenstown ¡V te anau glowworms(2hrs)-queenstown (overnite at farmstay)
8) Day 8 - Queenstown-christchurch (5hrs)(overnite)
9) Day 9 ¡V Christchurch/SIN

Is my schedule very tight? I prefer to have a relax trip but yet still greedy abt going to many places... he he

Can anyone advise after alighting the alpha train in greymouth, how long to drive to Puaninik rocks and how long to drive from the rocks to fox glacier?? I am worried abt my day 3. Will i be able to reach Fox glacier before nite? Also, how long is the drive of my other destination to another destination?? tks so much... me going in end sept.....
happy.gif

Have a lovely day!

eggie

hi maylim,
although i had not been to NZ before, I feel your schedule is a bit thight unless you don't mind to spend lots of time travelling between places.

Another thing is that after you go to milford sound, you can just go to te anau straight without going back to queenstown. So this will save u a bit of travelling time

cookiecreamie

Hi there,

I'm planning a trip to NZ in Dec as well. Could some kind souls help to advise if the following itinerary is workable?

Day 1 - SIN - Christchurch
Day 2 - Christchurch
Day 3 - Christchurch - Greymouth (via TransAlpine) - Fox Glacier
Day 4 - Fox Glacier - Wanaka
Day 5 - Wanaka - Queenstown
Day 6 - Queenstown
Day 7 - Queenstown - Te Anau
Day 8 - Te Anau - Dunedin
Day 9 - Dunedin - Lake Tekapo - Twizel
Day 10 - Twizel - Mt Cook - Hanmer Springs
Day 11 - Hanmer Springs - Kaikoura
Day 12 - Kaikoura - Christchurch
Day 13 - Christchurch - SIN

Guess it is probably a little tight so anywhere that I can forego and any where in particular to stay longer?

Thanks.

zenn

Hi all,

Maylim,
I am not sure how long it take to punaninik rock but from Greymouth to Franz Josef Glacier it takes around 2hrs 15mins.

Do note that for day 4, by the time you finish your half day glacier walk, it will be almost 1pm. You will need to take your lunch n by the time you reach queenstown may be at nite...

Btw, which airline you taking?

cookiecreamie

Hi Zenn,

Think it's over 5hrs. Any suggestion for the inbetween?

By the way, if I'm keen on a half-day milford sound cruise, where is a better place to board it? Queenstown or Te Anau?

maylim

Hi All
Appreciate all your kind and fast advises....

Hi Zenn
i am taking SQ.... so reaching in the morning 10.35am.... So my day 4 is a problem... or maybe i stop at wanaka? Then next morning go queenstown and faster proceed to glengory... by the way or should i go straight from fox glacier to glengory??

Anyone can advise me abt hrs to take from the rock to fox glacier?? If you think is too rush, then maybe i will not go to punaninik rocks...is the rocks nice to see??

I forgot.. on my day 8, i thought of going mt cook to see when on the way from queenstown to christchurch.. possible?

So maybe some places i should give up.... anyone can advise which one to give up??

From greedy bride :)P)

wtp

Hi,

I'm also planning for NZ tri in end Oct. My itie is quite to C&C. Is there any recommended accommodations and which to avoid (especially those not so "clean" ones)?

TIA!!

ekiror

Maylim

your itinerary too tight...you will suffer. You have to cater for driving break.

I can tell you, Day 4 is impossible. You must check the timing for the walk. By the time u finish walk and travel down to Queenstown...hmm...2-3am? You will be totally drain out from the walk. And you have to keep yourselves awake from the long drive from Fox Glacier to Queenstown. Dangerous leh....

ekiror

Maylim
Your day 5 to Glenorchy from Queenstown is about less than 1 hr drive. But horse riding is about 2hrs. So all in all to and fro from Queenstown is about 4hrs plus. So u got plenty of time to other places (Can drive up to Wanaka look see and drive back Queenstown again). If not, From Fox Glacier, stop at Wanaka...the next day travel down to Queenstown then go Glenorchy. At Genorchy, Try Dart Stables. Friendly people and horses are nicer (some of the horses are stars...from LOTR). They will bring you to location where they film LOTR.

Day 6 and Day 7..If you are really interested in Glowworms, then maybe Day 6 u set off early from Queenstown, go to Te Anua in them morning and leave the afternoon free to travel to Milford for the cruise. After that drive back to Queenstown is about 4hrs non stop and avg 110km/hr). Should reach Queenstown before midnight. Then u can free up your day 7 to rest and relax or try the activities in Queenstown.

maylim

Hi Planner

Thank you so much... luckily we have all of you kind people around that can reduce lots of our queries in mind... very big tks!

After hearing your advises... i m quite tense up too... okie, i have changed my itinerary... will you be free to help me again? Thanking you in advance.

Revised plan :
1) Day 1 - Sin/Christchurch
2) Day 2 - Christchurch-Train-Grey-(if possible go puaninik rocks-Fox Glacier
3) Day 3- Fox Glacier Half day-Mt cook (Lake Tekapo)
4) Day 4 - Mt cook half day- Queenstown (Lake Wanaka, Cromwell fruit orchard, Lake Pukaki, Central Otago, Church of gd shepherd)
5) Day 5 - Queenstown-Glenorchy-arrowntown
6) Day 6 - milford
7) Day 7 - Queenstown-Te anua glowworms
8) Day 8 - Te Anua - Christchurch
9) Day 9 - Christchurch/Sin

How long is the drive from Te Anua to Christchurch?Anything interesting to do after the glowworms in the morning? Should I come back to Queenstown after Glowworms tour go overnite in Te Anua? How long is Fox glacier to Mt cook? And mt cook to queenstown?

Is this better one? I think I got 9 days 8 nites correct?

Thank you so much, everyone!
happy.gif

zenn

Hi C&C,
You can go to Milford Sound fm Queenstown or Te Anau but from Te Anau will be nearer and cheaper too.

Hi Maylim,
How much you paid for the air ticket? Btw I don't think you can go to Mt Cook fm Fox Glacier. Perhaps you can consider this :

Day 1 : Sin-christchurch
Day 2 : Christchurch-train-Greymouth-Fox Glacier
Christchurch-Greymouth (0815-1245)
Greymouth-Fox Glacier (2hrs 15mins)
Day 3 : Fox Glacier-Wanaka (3hrs 45min)
Day 4 : Wanaka-Queenstown (1hr 20min)
Day 5 : Queenstown
Day 6 : Queenstown-Te Anau or Milford Sound
Day 7 : Queenstown-Mt Cook (4hr)
Day 8 : Mt Cook-Christchurch (4hr)
Day 9 : Christchurch-Sin

maylim

Hi Eggie

I din do Queenstown to milford and directly go Te Anau coz i will be taking the coach-cruise.. so i think i can't bring my luaggages onto the cruise, rite??

Hi Zenn
Regards to C&C's qn, is the scenary during the coach, nicer to go from Queenstown than go from Te Anau or both oso pretty??

I have to check the SQ price coz my hb bought it recently and i forgot to ask.... heard $1000+...get back to you later....

Ur itinerary is v good.... i been thhinking non stop these few days... but can't find the best way... i think yours is v gd....but you think how can i slot in the visit to the Te Anau glowworm??

Tks so much!
happy.gif

zenn

Hi maylim,

Glad that you don't mind me changing your itinerary
happy.gif

Back to your qn on scenary, I can't ans you cos I ve not been to NZ myself. Planning my trip too hee. Hopefully the kind souls here can help.

As for slot to visit glowworm, you can try go on day 5 but provided you don't intend to join much activities when you are in queenstown. Cos frankly speaking, your schedule pretty tight so not sure if you able to visit all the places...

Hope it help
happy.gif

eggie

hi maylim,
as far as i know, there is no route that will take you from from fox glacier to mt cook.

Another thing, to go to milford from queenstown you will pass by te anau. te anau is neaerer and the scenic drive would be from te anau to milford where u got the homer tunnel. you can still drive to te anau and from there take a coach. it would be cheaper also than going from queenstown.

and it's going to be a long long journey for u to drive from te anau back to christchurch...you might be driving the whole day. please check out the maps n driving time properly.

weoseek

Actually you may want to join day tour from queenstown, take the coach which come to fetch you at hotel/motel to Milford cruise. On the way, you'll be brought to some nice waterfall, and driver will cook bbq lunch ..very special experience. Becos i think the tunnel which hv to pass thru..is really dark, pretty scary if drive on our own.

cassie

got a question regarding the Franz Josef glacier walk - does the full day walk finish (ie you get back to the meeting point) by 5pm? I have this crazy idea to drive from Franz Josef to greymouth straight after that, so I will have one more day to spend at Queenstown
happy.gif
With a 3-hr drive, i figure we'll get to greymouth by latest latest 9pm. Any comments? Also is the road between Franz josef and greymouth relatively flat and straight? probably got to abandon this idea if it isn't...

rihini

Zenn,

so how much did u work out your budget to be now?

remember u were very surprised at my 1st estimate of more than $10K for 2 persons? (Mine is gonna be a 14 trip) My closer estimate is still around this estimate - but I may give some of the more expensive activities a miss to save some $ and more time to move and stop around.

I'll be interested to hear how it work out for you.

ekiror

Cassie,
Road to Greymouth a bit winding, mountainous..at the left hand side is the ocean....and if you are travelling at night...look out for the possium...they will just wander around in the middle of the road. As the roads are pitch dark and foggy at night, please drive carefully and do not sway your vehicle if you saw the possium. Its dangerous. just drive straight and pray the possium survived. Anyway you will get to see alot of dead possium on the roads. Poor thing. They are very cute actually. hee hee

Maylim
Have not had a chance to take a closer look at your intinerary....
Not sure if i have post this before... Have a look... Maybe you wanna change your intinerary after you see this....

http://community.webshots.com/user/plannerholiday
You will also see PLannerholiday2 under "Visit Plannerholiday's favourite member" to continue South Island. I have wrote some comments under each pic.

maylim

Hi All

Just revised my itinerary :

Day 1 - Sin/CC
Day 2 - CC overnite
Day 3 - CC - Train - Greymouth - Fox Glacier (if got time, go visit Pancake rocks) (Fox overnite)
Day 4 - Half day Fox - Arrowtown (Arrowtown overnite)
Day 5 - Arrowntown (LOTR tour) - Te Anau Glowworm (overnite Te Anau)
Day 6 - Milford Sound - Queenstown (overnite Queenstown)
Day 7 - Queenstown - Glengorchy - Mt Cook (overnite Mt Cook)
Day 8 - Mt Cook (Hooker Valley or short walks) - CC (Overnite CC)
Day 9 - CC/Sin

Any comments? I still find tight schedule. Anyone got suggestions what to reduce off?

Hi Zenn
My ticket is $1050 - SQ

Tks for all your kind assistance

cookiecreamie

Planner,

Very nice pictures that you have taken. Very scenic but it seems pretty similar at the various places. heheh... Can't wait to see them for myself.

Anyway, anyone been to Kaikoura? Would 1 day be too rush? Worth staying longer, say 2 days? From my itinerary above, anywhere that is not worth visiting? Advice... advice...

maylim

Hi All
It's me again... he he ...

I thought overnite again.. u think this is more relax?? Got to forgo something.... can't have all after yesterday thoughts... he he

Day 1 - Sin/CC
Day 2 - CC overnite
Day 3 - CC - Train - Greymouth - Fox Glacier (if got time, go visit Pancake rocks) (Fox overnite)
Day 4 - Half day Fox - Queenstown (Queenstown overnite)
Day 5 - Queenstown - Arrowntown (LOTR tour) - Te Anau Glowworm (overnite Te Anau)
Day 6 - Te Anau - Milford Sound - Queenstown (overnite Queenstown)
Day 7 - Queenstown - Glengorchy - Deer Park Height (overnite Queenstown)
Day 8 - Queesntown - Mt Cook (short walks)-CC (Overnite CC)
Day 9 - CC/Sin

Can i ask (1) How long is the drive from Fox to Queenstown? (2) If i went to milford sound from Te Anau, understand i will be back to Te Anau abt 5pm..will the hotel let me checkout at 5pm without charging me additional nite? (3) How long is the drive from Queenstown to the Te Anau glowworms? If the arrowtown tour ends at 12pm, do you think i can drive from arrowntown to reach Te Anau glowworms before 2pm? The glowworms start at 2pm to 4.30pm or 6.45pm to 9.15pm.

Need some advises.... thank you very much!

maylim

Hi Zenn

Acutally your plan is very good... but suddenly, i saw that on Day 2, I would have to take the train from CC to greymouth-Fox... but i only touch down CC at 10.35am... so i think unless have abt 12pm train... if not i can't go greymouth - Fox.... rite?? I really like your plan leh....Any other suggestions... so sorry for being so mah fan.. :p

As per your plan, I have

Day 1 : Sin-christchurch
Day 2 : Christchurch-train-Greymouth-Fox Glacier
Day 3 : Fox Glacier-Wanaka (3hrs 45min)
Day 4 : Wanaka-Queenstown (1hr 20min)
Day 5 : Queenstown

zenn

Hi Maylim,

You can go to http://www.discovernz.co.nz/driving/smlcalc.html to check the distance and timing.

Fm Fox Glacier to Queenstown is abt 5hrs leh. You will finish your half day glacier walk at around 1pm, you will need to rest awhile and ve your lunch. By the time you reach Queenstown will be at nite. Also 5 hrs drive is v long journey. Can you tahan after the walk?

Btw, will you be driving to Milford Sound or taking coach? I dont think they will allow you to check out at 5pm. Why don't you check out b4 you leave for Milford Sound and leave everything in the car?

Not sure abt Queenstown to Glowworms but Queenstown to Te Anau is around 2hrs. For those who been to Glowworms, issit really worth going?

Back to my itinerary, I ve made a mistake cos my day 1 actually refers to the day you touch down to CC. Hmm.... Its really challenging to go so many places within your 9 days ya hehe How abt this?

Day 1 : Sin-CC
Day 2 : CC
Day 3 : Christchurch-train-Greymouth-Fox Glacier
Day 4 : Fox Glacier-Wanaka (3hrs 45min)
Day 5 : Wanaka-Arrowtown-Queenstown (wat time is LOTR tour?)
- Glengorchy
- Deer Park Height

Don't think you can visit Glengorchy and Deer Park Height when you are in Queenstown. In Deep Park Height you can visit LOTR too rite? Any diff from the one at Arrowtown?