HO BEE RENOVATION WORKS

bearyhugs

Hi all,
My flat currently under reno by Patrick; going to handover soon in 1-2weeks time. No regrets taking him though a bit slow at times but workmanship is what we were looking for and of course, price is one of the most attractive. With the same price, we def can't get the same carpentry works from another ID firm.

Try calling him to get quotation. U can always compare n you will realize that his prices are really reasonable. We managed to keep everything within budget and the best thing is Patrick is never a calculative chap. : >

paulinelau

What do you mean by do up the whole house???

Does it mean that you wanna hack alot? Change windows, doors, gate, window grilles, the whole toilets, the whole kitchen, etc.? And nothing is left except the walls? Or even the wall needs touch up?

Well, for my case, a resale 4rm (103 sq m), I have everything change except the doors and gate, it costs abt >$30k. So if you are at the same situation as mine then I think yours will be much more. However, I hack a doorway for walk-in-wardrobe and add alum. sliding door for my self-create balcony. But these 2 add up only to abt <$2k. SO you can gauge for yourself.

wenn

Hee hee, we din bargain on the $600 haulage as Patrick gave us a good discount off the total bill after we signed up with him
happy.gif

rachelcheng

Oh haha... Seems like I am being unrealistic.. But I dun intend to do any carpentry except for a platform at dining area as well as a kitchen cabinet..

bearyhugs

Hi Rachel,
We did a platform for half the living room and it costs us slightly less than 2k too. Furthermore, it depends on what material u intend to use for your platform too. Laminate or parquet would differ slightly in price.

waterbibi

Aeina,

ah true true..but there are also black sheep everywhere lah haha
wink.gif

Oh I went back to the archives and saw some pics u posted and WOW!I really love your balinese theme!
happy.gif
A nice place to relax after a long day's work.

bearyhugs,

Good to hear that about Patrick.So u moving soon?Excited for you!
happy.gif

Rachel,

yeah i agree below 20k maybe a bit of a stretch since you're practically re-doing everything.Meet up with Patrick?Probably he can advise you better..

handydog

Rachel, me also looking at 20K for my 4rm resale. Very stretch, but if u hve less hacking, less tiles area &amp; less carpentry. Then is possible. One way to minimise cost which I gather so far is to paint yr kitchen &amp; toilet with epoxy paint/weathershield paint. This is much cheaper than using tiles. U can ask Patrick the costing between this 2 methods. For mua very greedy want everything, so cost is still over 20K, but I think still can cut here &amp; there. Patrick can give u very good guide as to the costing, esp compared to many other companies. His carpentry is quite cheap. But not the others, but must give &amp; take. If u hv gather other quotes from other IDs/contractor, then u know yr cost more or less. I hvn't seen his work, taking my own sweet time, may be after CNY. I'm sure pretty gd with so much recommendations.

aeina, thanks 4 yr tips..great info. Did u paint yr own place?

serametin, Patrick's no 96792934, meet up with him &amp; get him 2 give u a quote, every home is quite different. It's better to compare quotes base on yr own layout, apple to apple.

aeina

Handydog,
I didn't cos my HTB is not so diligent. he rather let Patrick doe everything so my cost is including paint. Nway, i think will be diff for us to paint cos of the L-box and cornices.

Actually, u r right abt the painting of kitchen and toilets. Like i mentioned, kitchen wall's tiles and toilet's wall tiles are most expensive. Perhaps can try cement screeding. Initially, we r thinking of doing that but my HTB doesn't like. I thot it will create an industrial cool look or even rustic look.

bearyhugs

Hi all,
Aeina, if you rem, think sunsetbay also posted their hse photos online right? They did cement screeding for their living room. Not a bad idea actually.

handydog

Yah, so far I talked to all IDs abt this painting over screed walls, they agree &amp; say can change color after few yrs. Someone also recommend me to plaster over the kitchen tiles &amp; paint instead of hacking, which save alot, but make sure yr tiles condition is ok. Painting in kitchen is the IN thing nowadays. So for those resale, this is one way to cut cost
happy.gif

rachelcheng

Hi all,

Thks for the info.. I will be meeting Patrick this sun.Update you gals the outcome. So happy to see such active thread here.. At least got encouragement and valuable advise along the way... His carpentry is cheap but what about other things like labour? Cos labour ex then diff to save cost also...

rachelcheng

Hi all... Patrick send me his quotaion today... Very upset that he actually quoted me $30K!! For my 5 room resale with the following
Hacking all floor and wall tiles
Plastering exposed areas
Homo tiles for living
Laminated flooring for 3 bdrms and dining area
Platform for dining area
L box for living, dining and bdrms
32ft run kitchen cabinet with solid surface
2 bathrooms WITHOUT basins and toilet bowls and accesories.
electrical wiring of 40 lighting points
etc other not so coastly items....
I do not have other carpentry leh...

handydog

not surprise, u seems to hv alot of hacking. Plastering is another expensive item. If can, don hv to use it unless yr wall condition is bad. Only plaster those after hacking. What's the costing per sqf for yr laminate? u choose more expensive or China abt $2.50, make a diff. U need to go thru line by line, hv u get any quotes from other IDs based on yr requirement? Maybe u shd &amp; then u see if he price u too high.

rachelcheng

Hi all,

I intend to go around comparing quotes. But I feel guilty that I will be wasting those contractors time as I know I will not possibly engage all of them. Am I stupid to think that way? Cos usually need to go down 2 times for the exact quotation meaning I might have to waste their time twice without signing up with them. My hubby say like that very cruel leh..

handydog

Think is quite normal, well it's definitely not productive for the Spore economy, but to save on my own pocket, every penny counts..sorry for those guys. It's always wise to look for 3 minimum to see pricng &amp; design, then u know what u want &amp; how much u can afford. I've ask for 8 quotes, KS maybe but each ID give me ideas &amp; diff costing. AT least I know what I'm dealing with &amp; don get ripe off at the end.

my_rock_baby

Hi,
may I know what is the "payment" percentage for Ho Bee? Is it something like the following :

30% non-refundable deposit upon confirmation
30% upon delivery of material to site
30% upon commencement of carpentry works
10% upon handing over of the house.

waterbibi

Rachel,

I am with handydog on this.With all the hacking and plastering done, 30k is anticipated.And yes compare all u want becos a few tens of K is not a small amount and you are paying for it so u definitely have the right to choose.Probably u can meet them once and ask them to email u the quotation once they're done...saves time for everyone.

Regards,
Amelia

aeina

Hi Rachel

I think u should compare price. There is no such thing as being cruel. It is a hypercompetitive world. U r consumer and u ve the right to pursue for the best. Before engaging Patrick, i ve been to all the contractors to interview them too. Jus think of u r employing a candidate for the job. Nowaday a good job normally require the candidate to go for 3 rounds of interview. After 3rd round, u might not even get the job. The employer never consider that as cruel. It is only logical.

For my case, we only paid deposit upon arrival of materials. Other companies require deposit upon confirmation.

rachelcheng

Aeina,

Haha Like the way you relate this to job interview.. very practical. So far I have been to 3 contractors. All recommended from this forum. Patrick is not the cheapest in fact as I rank him number 3. 2 other contractors gave me slightly better quotes for the same package details. One from A&amp;D contractor another called id renovation. The cheapest is id renovation with a difference of 5K. I am very comfortable with patrick. Moreover he is highly recommended in this forum hence feel safer loh.. The rest I can't get any assurance except one bride each who recommended them as cheap contractor.. I wondered when you gals did your homework comparing quotes, Which company you approached? If those high end ones of course patrick's is the lowest. Nevertheless, Patrick is in my top list loh..

bearyhugs

Hi all,
Rachel, agree with aeina that u prob need to look and source ard first before u can compare prices more effectively. Both me and HB too, went to a total of 8-9 contractors or IDs before confirming with Patrick. We went to a mix of high ends to low ends and between IDs and contractors too. Think rapport is quite important too. N what impress us most, is Patirck's not calculative. That's very important to us.

aeina

Hi rachel,
If that's the case, why don't u ask both contractors to show u their works?? go to houses that they ve renovated. Seeing is believing.
happy.gif

As for the toilet bowl, u must know the size to buy. Got sizes one leh. I believe they will have another sales after CNY. In fact, every quarter, they ve sales on different items. Another one who frequently has sales is Rigel at Kaki Bukit.

I also agree with bearyhug. Patrick is not calculative and his after sales service is excellent.

Wenn,
I didnt' receive any from him. he forgot abt me liao. probably can't wait to get rid of the problematic customers. hee hee...

handydog

I went to ID renovator too, price is ok, but I dont really feel comfortable with them. I think they use JB carpentry..can't recall, too many. I have 2 or 3 in mind, Patrick is one of them. I want to wait after CNY to view their work, now a bit lazy &amp; holiday mood. The other I'm considering is Espaco d-consultant..www.espaco-d-consultant.com. Recommendated by one person in threads. I find her design &amp; cost gd &amp; competitive, she has own factory here &amp; she is designer but runs the show like patrick. U can call her Catherine hp 90603303 for quote &amp; show u her work. She can come to meet u anywhere, or at yr current home. Quite bz now, so u may need to give her sometime. No harm getting one more quote.

my_rock_baby

Hi handydog,
the interior design show in the website is very nice, simple yet got taste... wow "motivate" me to look at her work now heee. Any idea how competitive is her price? If you have any quotation from her, can share with me?

handydog

Actually, I think u better get a quote from her direct. Mine is a resale &amp; my requirements are quite unique, so costing may not be applicable to u. Comparing the total price b/w patrick &amp; her abt the same depending on the work u asking for. Her carpentry slightly higher but other work is cheaper. She quite ez to talk to, so it's always give &amp; take. She also must earn abit mah. Don mind! After u get a quote, then we can compare specific costing like wetwork or carpentry. OK?

rachelcheng

Thanks alot handy dog. Mine also resale. Whose quote is cheaper when you compared btw Ho Bee and Espaco? If quotation is the same then I will rather take patrick.. He is so far the onli one who knows exactly what I want...

handydog

Rachel...Of course u choose the one u feel most comfortable with. As for cost, it really depends on individual requirement. So, if u give her yr requirement, then she can come up the quote for u, which u can compare with tt of Patrick. Also must check out the workmanship to see gd or not. It's really case to case basis. I asked quotes from IDs recommented by pp here as low cost, but when they quote me, not that true, probably my requirements are more costly. All the best!

waterbibi

Handydog,

Thanks for clarifying the number
happy.gif
Appreciate it! I am also in my busy and lazy mode..thinking of just settling on Patrick and not "shop" anymore..
lame.gif
blush.gif
Ah well, I will drag my butt to Sunget Kadut..which is actually very near my mother's place
proud.gif

Question: You guys doing built-in or walk-in wardrobe or purchasing?

aeina

Hi Rachel,
I went down to interview Henry before. However, didn't engage him. Basically, his price is higher. His quotation for homogenous tile for my living room is 1K plus more than Patrick's quote. So we asked him what brand of tiles, origin of tiles and why is it so expensive. Nway, it is the same brand of tiles from china that Patrick got for us. Henry was telling us that it is more expensive becos their workmanship is good. They will check every tiles before laying etc. Nway, my htb don't believe him. Me too too. Patrick's workmanship for tiles is very excellent. One of the best i ve seen. The method that Patrick's used to lay homogenous tiles is the method they used to lay granite.

handydog

aeina..how's patrick carpentry work? Because his per sqf quite cheap so afraid quality so-so. Hearing tt his wetwork is gd, feel better, heard of horrible stories abt poor wetwork, uneven tiling etc.

aeina

Handydog,
Rest assured, Patrick's wetwork is very good. I ve been to many friend's place. My tiles work is one of the best. very neatly done and the gap is fine. All my friends love my living room tiling work.

Carpentary work is normal but can't rush the carpenter. My carpenter is an uncle. Sometimes, he will miss out things but u talked to Patrick, and he will get him to rectify the problem with no sweat. For e.g. they missed out the pant rack in my wardrobe. After we told patrick, he will get the carpenter to come down and do it. Not a big problem.

mr_3lmo

Hi all,

I got Patrick to do my house too, agree that he is a very nice chap but I find his workmanship in general to be on the average side only. Seemed like all of you had pretty good workmanship... :eek:

ssb

hi rachelcheng,

my reno also cost $30k+ for 5rm resale flat wif homogenous tiles on living, dinning &amp; storerm. initially the cost was higher but we cut dwn quite alot of items to our budget.

i hv to agree the tiling works is the best on the overall reno. the gap is v small! carpentary work is average cos the carperter made few mistakes but they re-do again, so not so bad.

btw, Mr_3lmo whn did u engage patrick?? it could be he is rushing the job as there's quite a number pple engaging his service at the same time.
crazy.gif