Greece - Honeymoon

xmm

Hi Och & Chicklet,

Thanks for your advise.

Can I also ask what is the must try (activity & food) and must buy (as souvenir) in Greece?

och

xiao mao mao,
the activities u should try will depend on where u go. i wrote quite a bit abt the food i ate earlier in this thread.
lame.gif
as for souvenirs, i bought a miniature greek helmet for my brother n greek sweets for colleagues. there r lots of stuff abt greek mythology n history: little statues of greek gods, statues of atheletes doing the olympic sports etc. there is also abstract sculptures made fr this stone-like material (cannot remember the name) supposedly fr one of the islands. there r also lots of chess sets with boards made of greek marble n some glass plates. i think the glass plates r supposed to herald to greek's history with venice. if u like olive oil, there r lots of stores selling olive oil for tourists n crete honey.

stepford

xmm, you can try eating gyros, feta cheese, and tzarziki (hope I got the spelling right!). For souvenirs, can buy their loofahs, olive-based soap, olive-everything, and this local wine (can't rem the name) that is pretty potent. Just ask the locals, they will share with you.

chicklet

Souvenir ah? I tried to lug home a Greek god but haha my hubby protested (kidding!)

hmm I was there before the Olympics so I bought some very nice sports attire. But I don't really shop (ok, except shoes, books and music) so I am the last person you shd ask abt this.

starcom

Any advice here? I am going for a 10day tour to Greece the week after next. How much money should we bring along? Is Greece a credit card friendly place?

mint

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice. I have no choice but to take the fast ferry as the time difference is 5 hours. I guess I'll just have to take double dose of the motion sickness pills in advance. :p

I'm leaving for Greece tmr so will update when I return. Bye gals!

blueroti

hi starcom

10 days in greece is enuff if you're going to Athens and maybe 2 islands. but you've to factor in the time taken to travel from island to island by ferry. it can be as long as 8 hrs - almost a day. so it really depends on how long u want to spend on an island. 1/2 days in athens should be sufficient. suggest u spend more time on the islands if u want a relaxing holiday. the islands are more beautiful.

mint

Hi gals!
I'm back from Greece! It was really a wonderful trip and relaxing holiday for me and hubby.

Here's my itinerary:
Day 1: Arrive in Athens in morning. Toured Acropolis and Parthenon and surrounding area.

Day 2: Set off for 4 day classical tour. (see http://www.thesaurus.gr/tours_multi_day.htm)

Day 5: Back in Athens in early evening. Walked around the town area.

Day 6: Set off for Santorini (3 nights)

Day 9: Set off for Mikonos (2 nights)

Day 11: Fly back home.

The fast ferries are alright. Not seasick at all. Took Highspeed5 to santorini. At the end of the 3 hours, I didn't feel like the vessel moved an inch. The vessel was is like the starcruise kind. Took Flyingcat4 to Mikonos. Vessel slightly smaller than Highspeed5 but also comfortable enough. If you're the easily seasick type of person, either take seasick pills or sit in business class which was what I did.

Ris, I would recommend to you Panagiotis from Aegean Thesaurus Travel. He's very efficient and really made my planning so much easier. Moreover, his prices was the lowest among all the other quotes that I got. Email me if you would like to have his contact.

Anyway, photos almost ready. Will let you all have the link once done.

Cheers!

kxbc

Hi Mint

Thinking of going Greece also. Your itinerary looks good, esp the 4-day guided tour part. Check with you. Does the price of the guided tour as listed in their website include accomodation as well?

Thank you.

mint

Hi kxbc,
Yes, the tour includes accomodation, breakfast and dinner. Lunch from your own pocket but they'll bring you to the restaurant.

p.s. have replied your pm.
happy.gif

kxbc

Thank you Mint.

I checked my mailbox but have not received. Can I trouble you to re-send? Thank you.

freemind

hi all,

may i know what is the expected amt for the package (include accomodation, land transport, air fare) to go greece ?

in additional how much did yr 10days expense in greece.

i am looking @ a budget of not more than 6.5K for 2 person, possible ?

mint

Hi freemind,

My airfare was booked during the natas travel which I got quite a good rate. ($1200 incl taxes with Thai airways). Then I booked separately a package with a greek travel agent. This included transfers, ferry tickets, accomodation and a 4 day tour. During the 4 day tour, breakfast and dinner was provided. My hotel in Mykonos and Santorini was 5-star as I had requested for it. The rest were normal 3 to 4 star kind of accomodation. For this it was about 1170 euros per pax. We spent about $2000 sing on food and other expenses. Didn't shop or buy much things there though. Just some simple souvenirs.

thewife,
have emailed you the contact.

kxbc,
saw your reply in my inbox so assume that you got my mail?

von

Hi mint,

Thanks for the info, trying to find more info abt greece.

May u share with me, wat r the island/places in greece that are a MUST to go ? How many days were u @ greece?

Do u have any pics to share ?

von

Hi mint,

"freemind" is my colleague user id, coz i forget mine when i posted my 1st msg.

Using back my own ID now as "NEW".

Sorry if u get confused.

xmm

Hi,

I'm back from Greece .......
I was there for 10 days .....
I must say Greece is really beautiful ......

Hi New,

Just to share with you:
My package for 2 pax is about $5.6k (luxury class hotel/transfer/air tix/ guided tour to Athens, Delphi, Olympian, Metero, 1 day saronic islands cruise) but I didnt go to Santorini etc ...
This is not a full board package, so all our lunches were on our own and about 5 dinners on our own, each meal cost us about Euro 20 per pax but if eat burger will be Euro 20 for 2 paxs......

I hope this info is useful to you.

thewife

Hi ladies,
i need some advice here, deciding whether to take a package tour or free and easy + take up some local package? which is better and cheaper?

mint

Hi han,
Please email me for Panagiotis' details.

Hi new,
I was there for about 10 days. It really depends on what type of a person you are. If you're into history, then going to see the ruins will interest you. Or you could do island hopping. Then Rhodes and Crete are nice too although it's a pity I couldn't go as my time in Greece was too short.

Hi the wife,
Free and easy meaning you do a self-drive? Or are you planning to do just island hopping?

von

Hi Mint,

U mean u find yr 10days trip still too short?
I tot 10days shld be gd enough, tot of stretching my trip to Turkey if possible.\

Can u send me yr picture to view?
[email protected],

mint

Hi new,
It was too short as I could not include Rhodes and Crete in my trip. Otherwise, it was just right. Really depends on how much of Greece you wanna see. I think you would need another 10 days or more to see Turkey.

My pics not uploaded yet. Once ready, will mail you okie?
happy.gif

von

hi mint,

oh, i really hope to stretch the trip to turkey... hope i am able to plan all ina 14days trip.... shall read more and see

ok, i wait for ur pics ya..
happy.gif

thewife

Hi Mint
I planning to book my hotel in Athens, and take up a 8 day local package. Deciding to go Myknnos and Santorini with Ios. Which other island is a must-go?

chipndale

hi thewife,

i went to greece in oct last yr for my honeymoon too.. and went to athens, mykonos and santorini. u shld take a day trip to delos from mykonos as well. quite worth visiting. i spent 3 nights in athens, 3 in mykonos and 3 in santorini, and didn't have time to visit crete, though i believe it would have been equally pretty too!

mint

Hi the wife,
yup, agree with jules that you could make a day trip to Delos. I think another island you could consider is Rhodes or Crete.

babycharis

Mint,

You're most welcome. Glad you had a wonderful trip. Greece is beautiful isn't it
happy.gif
Which accomodation did Panagiotis arrange for you in Santorini? I stayed at Dana Villa, the view is awesome.

Hi new,
I spend 18 days in Greece in May (see my earlier post for my itineray) and still feel that it is not enuff.

Hi thewife,
Depending on how much time you have, Crete and Rhodes like mint suggested are two other islands you can can consider. I spent 5 days in Crete but it is really not enuff to cover the whole of Crete coz it's so big.

Also, which other island you wish to visit depends on what you like. You can go to tripadvisor for advice, I found it very useful in helping me decide where to go and where to stay.

But I must say the Santorini was truly beautiful. I personally think that it's impossible to take a bad photo there
happy.gif

mint

Hi BabyCharis,
Yes, Greece is indeed a wonderful place. I requested for a nicer hotel in Santorini so I stayed in La Perla Villas which was in Oia village. And I was very lucky too... cos when I arrived, the lady boss gave me a complimentary upgrade to a suite. The view is really fantastic. Sigh!! Miss that place now. Totally agree with you that it's impossible to take a lousy photo there. Just kept snapping to get the perfect picture. heehee!

kimura

Hi Mint,

Thanks, its okie, I managed to get Panagiotis via their website,
happy.gif

Hi Baby Charis,

I am planning to visit Greece for at least 18 days next April/May for my honeymoon trip and tot of engaging Aegean Thesaurus Travel too. Mind to share your itinery, type of accomodation and approximate cost for your whole land package? My email is [email protected]
Thanks a million!
happy.gif

babycharis

Hi Han,

Sorry for the late reply. Here's my itineray as requested:

3 nights in Peloponnese - Corinth (1N), Dimitsana (1N), Nafplio (1N)
2 nights in Athens
3 nights in Mykonos
4 nights in Santorini
5 nights in Crete - Heraklion (1N), Rethimno (2N), Chania (2N)

The cost was 1460 Euros per person inclusive of :
- Car Rental (1.4cc manual with AC) Peloponnese (3D) & Crete (5D)
- All transfers
- Ferry tickets
- Air tickets (Chania - Athens)
- 3 to 4 star accomodations w breakfast

Like mint, I requested for better accomodation in Santorini. Hope this helps
happy.gif

babycharis

Hi Mint,

Wow, even the name sounds very posh
happy.gif
Oia has wonderful sunset. I'm sure you took many beautiful photos taken in Oia.

Like you, we were blessed with an upgrade in Santorini. We were supposed to leave Mykonos on the 9am ferry but becoz of bad weather our fast ferry could not come into port. We were put on the 2pm ferry to transit at Syros and only arrive in Santorini at 2am!

We were picked up by this crazy driver who's thinks he's driving in a F1 race. On arrival, we were taken to the honeymoon suite meant for another couple who arrived on the same ferry as us. (The couple were given the traditional suite meant for us.)

Thanks to the F1 driver we arrived earlier that the couple on the same ferry.
Thanks to the bad weather we arrived in the mid of night instead of the aftnoon. So the mistake was only "discovered" the next morning and too late for the hotel to shift us out ;P

Meanwhile, we continued to stay 4 night in the honeymoon suit
happy.gif
Indeed God causes all things to work together for good to those who love Him!

kimura

Hi BabyCharis,

Thanks for your reply. Hmm.. currently we have change our mind abit and wish to include Turkey in our tour. Most likely will just spent about 10 days in Greece, including 3 nights Santorini and Mykonos. .. Hoo! lets see how it goes!
happy.gif

xynn

hi all, i have shortlisted SIA, Thai Airways and Emirates for flights to Athens. Which one do you all suggest? Emirates is the cheapest and SIA the most expensive...

mint

Hi Xynn,
Take Emirates. Even though they are the cheapest, they have the individual seat TV as compared to Thai. If you want to shop in Bangkok on your way back, then take Thai. But do check out Emirates layovers and transits cos it can be quite problematic.

xynn

Hi mint, thanks for the advice..
i'm still deciding whether to go Greece, coz my leave plans might not be approved in the end also.

xynn

hello all!
i have checked out Emirates, their lowest fare seats are fully booked, so their next tier airfare is as exp as SIA, which is $1700! The agent offered me KLM or Qatar or Thai Airways.
Which is better? The airfares wld be ard $1400 per pax, including taxes..

Hi Babyshannon
I've read from the previous threads and Sept is the best time to visit.

I've come across a package which is 9days 7nites to Greece which is only $1688 + $350 (taxes).

However, the itinerary only covers Athens, Mykonos, Rhodes, Patmos and Kusadasi. NO SANTORINI....which i think which is the most beautiful island in Greece...

Gals,
What do you think of this package?

Hi gals

I'll be going to Greece this coming sept and maybe will do a F&E as the local packages are quite limited.

Can check with you which hotel (say our Singapore standard of 4* or 3*) to stay and how much is it in Athens, Santorini, Mykonos and Rhodes?

Hi Xynn
Gulfair having promotion now...$1133 only including taxes, but must be booked within this month.

scobido

Hi gals

Like to check with you whether anyone knows whether going to Europe or Switzerland or Greece is more expensive?

Is Greece more of a history place or a scenary place compared to Switzerland?

Deciding whether we should head to Swizz or Greece...

Read that a lot of you have postive comments on this island called Satonia...May I know why this place is more attractive than the rest of the islands?

xynn

thanks summer!
i already booked airtix with Qatar.
i'm doing it F&E. But havent read up anyting yet! Think i'm pretty last minute. Planning to go in Oct.

bump2

hi mint

Can I have Panagiotis' details and contacts? Will u mind sharing ur itnerary with me??

Hi all,

anyone feel if is ok to visit greece in early part of dec? intending to go in dec....not sure if the weather is too cold ..and if the operators, shops/museum open in dec anot?

chipndale

hi bump2,

i went to greece for my HM last year mid-late oct. it was freezing in santorini by the time we were there, and our hotel manager actually informed us that they would be preparing to close for the winter by nov. apparently this would be the case for the other islands as well. as for athens, not too sure if all the tourist attractions will be open in early dec.. it will be cold of cos.

my advise is not to go to greece in early dec if u intend on making a trip to the islands (which shld not be missed cos its soo beautiful!!)

piglet81

Hi All

Any good recommendations for accomodations in Mykonos and Santorini? Wanted a splendid view... yet not too costly. Is Fira a better option to Oia?

chipndale

hi li,

we stayed in petasos beach hotel in mykonos- this was along platis gialos beach. room was wonderful.. and we had great views! breakfast was yummy too.. and we had breakfast literally by the sea everyday.. romantic! =) this was the kind of view we had :
421745.jpg

in santorini, its quite difficult to go wrong when choosing accomodations, cos most hotels are located on the crater walls.. ie, u have an unobstructed view. we stayed in iliovasilema, which was in imerovigli. to get to fira, wa.. we had to walk abt 25 min. otw take cab- but its costly... more than 10SGD for a 5 min ride! the walk was full of phototaking opporunities though.. cos every view was different lor. If u stay at fira, it might not be as peaceful and quiet as its the town area. of cos.. its more convenient cos the restaurants and shops are just minutes walk away. oia is all the way to the other end of the island... and u will need to take a cab or the bus to get to fira. so i would say its not too convenient to stay in oia lor. frankly, i found the sunset i saw outside my room, as nice as the sunset i saw in oia! NO DIFFERENCE!

check out the view from my room :
421746.jpg

by the way, all these are photos from websites- but my own pictures are just mirror images of what is captured above.. and i am no professional photographer! u cant take a bad picture in greece! =)