Greece - Honeymoon

chipndale

agree with kxbc.. dont go in late oct. i went in mid oct, and i think all the hotels and restaurants were still open on the islands.. didnt see 1 single closed shop. it was very cold in santorini though, cos we stayed along the caldera. when we left in 3rd wk of oct, some hotels in santorini were starting to put up signs to say they were closing for the winter.

pinky2

Thank for the advice! Anyone can share your itinerary with me? I am planning to stay 3 days each in athen, santorini & mykonos.

elite88

Am intending to go Greece this Sept? Also planning 3 days in Athen, Santorini and Mykonos. Any packages from any travel agencies to recommend?

Which airlines is recommended? Is it only SIA that flies direct to Athen? And how long are the flights to Athen?

barbapapa

Me taking qatar airlines. i done some research, KLM also goes to athens too with stopover at amsterdam. As far as i'm concern, total travelling time to Athen including stopover @ Doha is 10 hours. so a direct flight will take a shorter time.

All travel agencies has greece package. Just go check it out. But the one which a previous forummer mentioned, J3 travel, their tour is combined with the local greece tour so the group mix is international.

likewise you can take greece local tour agent such as Dolphine Hellas, Agean Thesauraus. Apparently, it will be cheaper if you book tours from the local tour agency as compared to booking Singaporean tours. The difference can be as much as SGD 400++.

annpaul

Hi Wendy, are you thinking of group guided tours or free and easy? If group guided tours, most major travel agencies in Spore will do. But mostly in Athens and nearby. Very few go to greek islands. even if they go, its very very short. like one or at most 1.5 days on the islands. if you know what you like and where you wana go and how much time to spend, i wont recommend group tours. i personally hate group tours man. waste of time and money and boring. there're people who choose to book group tours but when they're there they break away from the group to do their own stuff. aiyah waste of money loh. then should just book free and easy in first place. paying double like that.

Anyway my FH and me are going greece for our HM in May 07 doing free and easy. We'll be booking air tickets online. can find as cheap as $900 return inclusive of tax (varies according to time of travel). i think only SQ flies direct without stopover. but SQ is quite pricey. Fly via middle east (doha, bahrain)is cheapest and faster compared to flying via european ctys like london, paris n france. Flying via mid-east takes abt 10-12+ hours while flying via europe takes anything from 17 to 28 hours!!! gees... so the airline you choose quite impt lah. we don wanna waste so much time on air. one day lost per way loh. but if you thinking of stopping over at other european ctys or turkey, then its more worth it lah.

we've done quite a bit of research and we're only spending one night in athens. nothing much to see there lah. i rather spend more time on the islands.

as for land packages, i agree with other forumers above that we can use local travel agencies. they have very extensive packages. and they're still free and easy and you can choose according to your budget, like 3/4/5star hotels. land packages usually include airport/ port transfer, hotel accomodation and ferry tickets. These are the biggest items so make sure all included. check on policies like if ferry cancelled or hotel overbooking whether they'll provide alternatives. basically thats it. not that difficult to do free and easy...as its name suggest, its free and easy! haha ok...maybe not free as in $-free...haha

if you're planning for HM...i STRONGLY strongly recommend you to do F&E. its fun for both of you to do research and plan together. more fulfillment mah. but again, depends on the 2 of you lah. if both oso cant be bothered kind, then better go with tours. but even their local agencies do guided tours that are optional. meaning when you book the land packages already and get there already then suddenly feel like going for one day of guided tour, then go to any agencies and they do such day tours. don have to commit yourself to entire trip of guided tour. really a spoiler for HM lah. hees okay enuff said...have fun!!

annpaul

hees another thing...paiseh i so long-winded. another thing why i prefer to go direct to greece local travel agencies vis internet is coz i don see rationale of paying Singapore agents the fee where hes just connecting us to the agent over there. the spore agent wont be there in greece should anything happen loh. spore side is merely a middle man. so no point paying them when we can go directly. in fact, the travel agencies oso know lah thats why they only do guided tours. no point for them to do free and easy. profit margin too low for them. the few local agencies mentioned here are all reputable. can find others online too. really hassle free. and they respond very fast too. =)

elite88

Hi guys. Thanks for all your info.

Me thinking of F&E. Cos the local tours all emphasize on Athens only except for J3 as mentioned by Blue. About how much you all pay per pax for the agencies in Greece and how many days are you all going? J3 is about $1,300 per pax for their land package for 10 days.

Any good and convenient hotels to recommend for Santorini, Mykonos and Athens?

And for Qatar Airline, is it good? Does all the seats have their own TV?

And any of you are extending your stay elsewhere like Paris?

Sorry so many questions...

barbapapa

hi Wendy,

i got the rates from Greece local travel agency called Dolphine Hellas. it shows the rates from April thru to Oct 2007. Rates as in accomodation rates in athens and santorini. i also have their tour packages ranging from half day tours to their 7 days tour package costs which you can take a look at. As for ferry tickets, they do that too and they are able to quote. Alternatively, u can check on the website on their ferry prices. if you are interested just send me ur email and i will fwd the rates to you.

i will be going next month and am not doing any extensions to other countries. But i think going to Paris or Italy is workable.

Can't wait to go!

barbapapa

Hi Wendy,

Sent u the email.
Anyway i still hv not travel yet. going in April, remember?

If i'm not wrong, qatar airlines are pretty good and their services are not bad.

elite88

Hi blue

Many thanks! May I know which Hotel you choose for Athens and Santorini?

For Athens, is it better to stay near acropolis, at Syntagma? And for Santorini, is it better to stay in Imerovigli? I was shortlisting Princess Santorini. But for mykonos, is it better to stay in the Mykonos town rather than the beach area?

Hi Ann paul

The land package is from the website, but they are currently updating the new price. They have yet give me the new price. http://www.j3travel.com.sg/Land-Package/Land_Greece_8D_Enchanting_Greek_j3.htm

barbapapa

Hi Wendy,

In Athens, i'm choosing to say in Attalos which is near the monastriki metro. its a 2 star accomodation lah. but in santorini, i;m staying in Fira. as recommended by forummers, its more centralised and convenient.i chose Porto Fira Suites with a caldera view.

And i'm not going to mykono as you can see i only send u quotes for just athens and santorini only.so i can't help u on that area.

annpaul

hey people...anyone here booked air tickets to greece online? we went to travel agency, they quoted us for about 1.4k for one return air ticket. we find similar carrier online for only 8-900 dollars. my FH says the difference is in the airport tax. but if you purchase online, the tax is not included. hence my question, when are we required to pay this tax? how much in total? in what mode do we pay? isit like bangkok where we pay upon exit? then how come local agencies collecting leh? abit confused here. don wanna get a shock when hafta pay a sum of money later on. thanks!

elite88

AnnPaul

I have not book yet. But I have been looking through the websites. The tax is about 300 over, which includes airport tax and fuel tax.Think is paid together with the air tickets.

nuaster

Hi ladies,
I have booked my air tickets to Athens, cost over $1100 per pax, flying by Qatar.
Will be going in June. tentative plan is to do island hopping (mykonos, naxos and santorini)
Will be booking through Dolphin Hellas as well.
Hotel Attalos (Athens) is already fully booked for my travel dates so I will be staying at Jason Inn.
As for mykonos, we are opting to stay near the town as opposed to the beaches as we intend to check out the nightlife there. For santorini we will be staying in Fira.

Wish to ask if the Flying Cat ferry is really that terrible? We are opting to go by high speed ferries most of the time but there is this particular day where there is only the flying cat available and no high speed. Appreciate any feedback regarding the fast ferries from those who have been to greece islands. Thanks!

barbapapa

hi Nuaster!

I'm booking thru Dolphin Hellas too! My reservations are on the way. Hopefully everything is settled. Supposed to go in March and in the end postphoned to April. Going next week.

i'm staying in hotel attalos in athens.

maybe when i come back i'll let u know abt the ferry.

starcom

We went to Greece last June for 11days for our honeymoon. The country is simply great.

First half of the trip was on mainland, we joined a local tour and went to places like Dephi, and Kalablanka(Meteora). Then was off to island hop. We only went on 2 islands that is Mykonos and Santorini. Both places have their own distinctive character. Overall was fun.

Anyone dun have a driving license here? For us, we rented a ATV, which is common there. If no, u rather rent a scooter or a car. Basically, it get us anywhere we wanted to go.

The ferries. Word of advice, the ride is not really that terrible. But just remember that when u reserved the tickets, emphasize that u want tickets with proper seats. Dun go for deck tickets, you will have to sit outside in the sun, with sea breeze for the entire 5hrs ride. That is terrible. But if u have a proper seat, that is different.

On Mykonos, there are 2 beaches that you must go. I missed them, cos I never knew it is so happening. There are called Paradise, and Super Paradise, nude beaches to be exact. Cool, right?

On Santorini, staying anywhere in Fira(Thira)is fine, it's a small town area, accessible on foot to any corners. You can book the optional tours, if not, get a car or bike, wander on the island.
Oia (pronounced as E-iah), is another nice place to go on Santorini, it's on the other end. Another place, forgot the name, also nice, it's an off track along the way to Oia.

For those going around Summer, remember those sunblock, you wouldn't want to return a roasted pig.

elite88

Hi all

How did you all do your booking for the ferry tickets? I was at the website http://www.ferries.gr/ and there is a choice of "Berth" and "Whole". But it seems that most of the tickets only have a choice of Berth, that is share the cabin with the same gender??

isaac

Hi Every1,

Am wondering if anyone has gone on honeymoon to Italy + Greece on 1 trip. I am planning to take a Cosmo Italy 10D tour package then fly from Rome to F&E on the Greek islands before gng back to Athens to fly back to SGP.

Wondering about its feasibility ..Do anyone have any experience in dng both countries in 1 trip? really need your precious advice. Thanks!

chicklet

This is strictly a personal comment for those who get sick on boats easily, based on my personal experience.

If you are taking a vessel called the Flying Cat operated by Hellas Flying, please take note that this vessel - while on the move - is SEALED.

Why is it crucial to note this small detail?

Well, on my trip there a few years back, I took a three-hour high-speed ride from Crete to Santorini. The boat was a kind of capsule; everyone was sealed in so that the vessel could literally bounce as it goes at super high speed.

Soon after departure, the thing sped up. The first time the vessel bounced, everyone LAUGHED and was joking... Less than 10 mins later, EVERYONE on the boat was vomitting into the barf bags that the "stewardesses" were giving out.

No joke, it was very uncomfortable. And this comes from someone who's been diving for almost a decade and has travelled in all sorts of boats.

My point is that because the vessel was SEALED, you could not even throw up overboard. It was rough, man. So for those who are either claustrophobic or get seasick, do check on the type of vessel and make an informed choice. If you have to take this, do bring some ointment or seng buay.

On a happier note, if anyone's in Hania, don't miss this restaurant called Tamam. Fantastic vegetable soup, and the rest of the food's just as nice. Add: Zambeliou 49 Old Harbour. Tel: 08210 96080.

If anybody's heading for Crete, I would like to recommend the Casa Delfino Suites. Four of us (two couples) shared a suite at this hotel, and it was FANTASTIC value (per person). Very nice, accessible, and service was good.

Found this description online: "Casa Delfino Suites is an elegant 17th Century Venetian mansion, carefully and attractively restored as an exclusive hotel of just twenty-one suites. A secluded entrance leads to the large sheltered courtyard of pebble mosaics, where guests enjoy the peaceful shade."

Santorini: I stayed in the Oia Canaves. Pricey, but they've a nice pool - the place is very small so nice to have something to do and somewhere to hang in yr hotel during the scorching hours in summer. I wd recommend this for sure.

Try these restaurants in Santorini
1) Nikolas - it's in Fira. The tel is 02860 24550.
2) Taverna Thespis. Tel: 32 38 242. Simple but gd home-cooked Greek food. V near Oia Canaves.

tupiddog

Was Thinking of changing my travel plans this june and Head for Greece instead. but due to some Ticketing Problems i am deciding not to make any advance booking. And to travel with no reservations.. Does anyone thinK its advisable? Just dropping in looking for a place to stay and start planning from there.. or to book for a tour onli upon arrival in Athens ? Is Traveling around greece a hassle? With booking all the ferry tickets and all? Can some kind souls pls advice.

barbapapa

hi kenneth,

June and July is their greece peak period or rather the entire europe is their peak period. For greece which is immensely popular with the americans, it is best that u book ahead otherwise u will end up staying in some weird places. As for ferry, there are options to purhcase tickets when u are there. some ferries do allocate seats so to make sure that u got a seat, it is best to book ahead too. normally travel agency will not charge extras for ferry tickets as it is fixed by the govt. what u pay is what u get.

as for booking tour upon arrival, u can do that bcos for the hotel i stayed, which is Hotel Attalos, they do provide daily excursions to all destinations and they can arrange it from the hotel for you. Do check this hotel out. i'm not sure abt other hotels though. It;s got great roof top views of both the acropolis and lykbatos hill plus a bar. Love that place.

barbapapa

Hi Kong, serene and meow,

I have sent the greece travel pack(Athens & santorini) to you guys. All the accomodation rates and tour costs are by Dolphine Hellas. Ferry tickets can be booked through them. Very patient and helpful.

Enjoy! I just came back last week and it was fabulous.....

Any questions, just let me know. will try to answer.....

barbapapa

On the topic of ferries, eh....berth is like a parking lot for the ships at the harbour. All vessels leaving for the cyclades are the berth E6,7,8,9 as far as i can remember. The berths are situated very close to the metro station (Piraeus). Then comes the question of chosing the type of ferries. They are catergorised by the greek as "fast" ferry or "slow" ferry. in my case, the "slow" ferry is the blue star paros which takes 8 hours to arrive at santorini with stops at Paros and Naxos. the "fast" ferry is by flying dolpin called "Hi-Speed 3" which takes 5 hours. Difference between the 2 vessels? For slow ferry, there is no allocated seats and it free seating. but it has to be within the economy seats area. If you explore around, you will find that there are airline seats on other areas. But ONLY if there is no one taking the seats. You can actually move on to that area to take a good nap if you want to. basically, this vessel is very stable with very slight turbulence throught the journey. so you can even go out on the deck for some sun and enjoy the view if you want. As for the Hi-speed, there are allocated seats based on the tickets but as the journey continues, everyone just sits where ever they want. There are NO deck seats for this vessel. Be warned: VERY VERY turbulent during the journey. For pple like us who are not seasick, we felt queasy throught the 5-hour journey.

i trust those who are interested in making trips to the island will be better informed.

sarah24

Hi Blue
can i have the contacts for dolphine hellas too?

Thinking of visiting athens and santorini.

Btw, can i jus ask every \one abt accomodation recommendations for santorini?

The SQ and Qatar airways flights r all full looks like 1 ve to fly by european airlines. Any other suggestions for flights?

sarah24

Just need some advice as I m researching on accomodations for santorini, is Oia very inconvenient to be staying in? My HB prefers to stay at fira but they are quite booked and ex compared to Oia. I was lookig at Enigma but the studios are full so the std is going for 210 euros per night. My fren recommended Golden sunset at Oia which is going for 140 euros but seems far and buses only go every half hourly.
Thanks in advance!

barbapapa

Hi all, i have sent the quotes to everyone. Hope you received it. sorry ah....super late to send you all.

Hi Sarah, Oia is the far end of the island and buses do go there every half hourly. however the bus ride is a short one (10 min max) so it is not as far as u think it would be. even for walking ; fm fira to Oia is abt 4 hours (stated in the guidebook).If u r gg this time round, the prices are gg to b in these range.

Oia is more village style & quiet but there aren't any supermkt around (well i didn't see any during my trip). Fira is the town and amenities are aplenty. weigh your options and decide. i chose cosmopolitan suites in fira bcos the view is fantastic! its central location (next to the cable car station) makes it a great base to venture and yet it is tucked away from the crowds. and its got the inifinity pool which is so beautiful.

yaojdxj

Help me out here... Save 3hrs and risk being seasick or 8 hrs and not get seasick.. hmm.. I'm torn in between. Planning for HM in May 08 and it seems like visiting the island is a must. advice anyone? Thanks

shycloud

hey all,

me planning to go in Oct07 and have just checked out the airfares...its @ least S$1110 (excl tax)!!! I am actually looking @ sthg less than 1K...if any of you happens to know any price ard this range...do let me know...appreciate!

tuts

Hi Blue, can send me the details for Dolphine hellas and the accomondation rates too?

There's a stopover promotion by Thai airway that include 2 nite accomdation, thinking of getting that. =)

cloud0829

Hi Blue, or anyone. Mind to send me the info on Dolphine Hellas or info on Greece package. [email protected]

Shortlisted to go there for honeymoon in Nov, need to do lots of research now. BTW, is it a suitable period to visit there then?

barbapapa

hi cloudie,
sent you the travel package. anyway... nov is not really the best of times. winter's approaching and you can't do much. besides the sea would be choppy and not suitable to island hop and as the rest of the forummers mentioned, not much hotels to chose from. so.....chose elsewhere or wait till next yr then...

hi blue,
can u also email me the info at [email protected]

so oct to dec is not a good period to go greece?

thanks
happy.gif