Divorce, what is the procedure?

H

helplost

strawberry78,

May i ask which support group u referring to. Couldn't find it in sgbride forum. Also, can't backdate as we still staying under same roof.

strawberry78

helplost,
oh i think got to look under topics. you can backdate if same roof provided got evidence no longer behaving like husband and wife - your lawyer can advice you but consider counselling to save marriage first?

H

helplost

strawberry78

Went to counselling already, but find it not much help. Our difference in thinking too wide, also many things had happened in the past which i personally find it diff to patch things up again.

Trying to get some advice here on the procedure, b4 approach lawyer.

strawberry78

helplost,

oh in that case, nothing much can do. do you want my lawyer contact? down-to-earth and honest legal outfit in chinatown point - foo chia partnership, look for ms foo. i can post her number here tomorrow, her card is in my office.

W

wiseman

Dear All,

So sad to hear all your "worries" and "sorrows" about divorces...

Adapted from "familylaw.com.sg" :

Divorce is a difficult and painful process. You need constant support from family members, friends, relatives and help from professionals. This path is made easier with informed knowledge. Divorce is however not always the best solution. It should be the last option, especially if you are married with children.

The common questions:
1. IS IT TIME TO DIVORCE?
2. ARE YOU PSYCHOLOGICALLY PREPARED?
3. HAVE YOU EXPLORED ALL ALTERNATIVES?
4. DO I QUALIFY ?
5. HOW MUCH MAINTENANCE CAN I GET OR SHOULD I GIVE?
6. HOW TO DEAL WITH AN UNREASONABLE SPOUSE?
7. CUSTODY CARE & CONTROL
8. ASSETS DIVISION?
9. DIVORCE STATISTICS IN SINGAPORE
10. HOW TO LESSEN THE ADVERSE EFFECT ON THE CHILDREN?
11. PROCEDURE FOR DIVORCE
12. TIME FRAME ON THE VARIOUS APPLICATIONS
13. MEDIATION
14. COSTS FOR DIVORCE
15. POST DIVORCE CARE

It is always in the parties' interest to resolve the differences, so that both can move on with their lives. Nevertheless, in some instances, a disgruntled spouse can be difficult, early and adequate preparation are absolutely necessary.

SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE
A relationship, whether between father and son, between brother and sister, between a man and woman, requires constant nurturing. After marriage, most couples take each other for granted. As a society develops and matures, the demands are more exacting. Stress of work, stress in coping with the new born, of ensuring that the children get into a reputable primary school, differences of opinions in dealing with teenage children, unreasonable interference by in-laws, financial mismanagement, often aggravate the relationship between the couples. From the woman's viewpoint, the man lacks understanding, spends too much time at his career, does not do housework or enough housework, is not a good provider in terms of financial and emotional support, does not show care or concern for her or for the children, are the frequent complaints.

The men on the other hand often feel that their wives are too interfering, too possessive, do not understand their stress at work or in coping with their career, incessant nagging, unnecessary and unreasonable reprimands, impossible demands.

In some cases, the differences lead to quarrels and fights. With the influx of foreign women in Singapore, especially from the People's Republic of China, these men in an emotional vacuum, often find solace. Intimate association even not amounting to adultery, lead to more misunderstanding.

In some other instances, the cracks start with a minor misunderstanding. Poor communication aggravates the situation. If the bonding is not strong, the parties drift apart, and often avoid speaking to each other. Suspicion and unsubstantiated allegations widen the rift, making a re-conciliation difficult.

Some suggestions:
1. Swallow your pride.
Often parties are too proud to admit their shortcomings and mistakes made. They are too quick to take on a defensive position. Swallowing one's pride is in the interest of all parties. The dent on the ego is painful, but it spares both parties more agony.

2. Speak to your spouse early.
If there is a major issue, discuss and reach a consensus early. The decision may be wrong, but if it had been deliberated before, both parries should support and carried it through, without complaints.

3. Be slow to criticize and complaint
It is only human to complain about person's mistake, some do it more often than others. We should however always note that nobody wants to do badly in whatever we do. Failure and mistakes are however part and parcel of life. We need to accept and take responsibility and move on. Your spouse mistake is also your mistake. You married him or her and you should have enough love to suffer the consequence of his or her mistake.

4. Perseverance
Some differences are minor-solve these first, some are major and cannot be resolved easily. There must be perseverance and courage. It is not the solution that saves the marriage, for after every problem solved there would be another. That is the nature of life itself. It is the perseverance that makes the difference, that gives hope and that makes life meaning.

5. Take responsibility
In every relationship, we must take responsibility. The purpose of work is for a future and better tomorrow. If the work affects the quality of life and being about unhappiness often, the work actually loses its purpose. One should not be enslaved by work, although it is easily said than done. Without a happy marriage, it would affect the quality of work. The promises made whether to a spouse or innocent child must be fulfilled.

6. Defend your spouse
Often, family members do not know the details of the relationship. Parents side their children and siblings side each other. This is human nature, and they do it out of love and care. However such act is harmful as it aggravate the misunderstanding between the spouse. As such it is prudent to leave the family members out of any dispute. A family member who really care for their member should be objective.

If after reading these and you still think "DIVORCE" is the way out, please read on:

Q1. What are the reasons ("grounds") on which I can get a divorce?
The court will only grant you a divorce if it is satisfied that your marriage has "irretrievably broken down". In order to prove that your marriage has "irretrievably broken down", you must be able to show the existence of at least one of the following facts ("grounds"):

(a) That your spouse has committed adultery (i.e. had consensual sexual relations with a person other than yourself), and that you find it intolerable to live with him/her; and/or

(b) That your spouse has behaved in such a way that you cannot reasonably be expected to live with him/her (for example, your spouse has committed family violence against you); and/or

(c) That your spouse has deserted you for a continuous period of at least 2 years just before you start your divorce proceedings; and/or

(d) That you and your spouse have lived apart for a continuous period of at least 3 years just before you start divorce proceedings, and your spouse agrees to the divorce; and/or

(e) That you and your spouse have lived apart for a continuous period of at least 4 years just before you start divorce proceedings. In this case, your spouse does not need to agree to the divorce.

Note that for a) above, if you continue to live with your spouse for more than 6 months after you discover the adultery, you may not be able to rely on adultery to petition for a divorce.
For c) above, desertion means leaving you without your agreement and without any reasonable cause. In exceptional cases, where your spouse has without reasonable cause driven you out of the home and continues to exclude you from the house for a period of two years, that can also constitute desertion by your spouse.

For d) and e) above, "living apart" requires the intention of staying apart from each other with the view of ending the marriage, as well as the physical act of staying apart. However, you may still be considered as staying apart even if you and your spouse are staying at the same address, if you and your spouse have led completely separate lives and have separate households (i.e. not staying in the same bedroom, not having sexual relations, not doing any household chores such as cooking, washing, cleaning, ironing, etc. together, or for each other; not having meals together as a family; not going out together as a family, etc.) for the required length of time, for the purposes of obtaining a divorce based on three or four years' separation.

Q2. Are there any pre-conditions before I can file a Petition for Divorce?
Yes, you need to satisfy the following:-
Domicile
3 years' restriction
monogamous marriage

Q3.Who are the parties in a Divorce Petition?
It usually comprise of 2 parties, namely,
the Petitioner (the spouse filing the Petition; and the Respondent (the other spouse)

If the Divorce is based on the factual situation of Adultery, the 3rd party may be named in the Petition and he or she is known as the "Co-Respondent".

Q4. What is a Deed of Separation?
You may wish to be separated from your spouse for a period of time before you decide on a divorce. In the meantime, the parties can still work out on reconciliation.

In this case, you may sign an agreement called a Deed of Separation which will set out the terms and conditions governing the relationship between you and your spouse during the period of separation. Both parties may mutually agree on an arrangement for the custody care and control of the children (minor), maintenance of a spouse and/or children and division of the matrimonial assets in the event of a divorce.

A Deed of Separation is a private document, and not lodge with any government departments, and the Separation Deed may be revoked at any time with the consent of both parties.

Although the parties may have mutually agreed to the terms in the Separation Deed, either party can still apply to have any of the terms set aside by the Family Court (unless the Deed of Separation was sanctioned by the Court).

It would be advisable for you to consult a lawyer to draft the Deed of Separation, and the Deed signed in the presence of a lawyer.

Q5. Can I reconcile with my spouse after signing a Deed of Separation?
You may reconcile with your spouse even after signing the Deed of Separation. Alternatively, you may proceed with your divorce after 3 years (if your spouse consents) or 4 years (if your spouse does not).

More info at: http://www.familycourtofsingapore.gov.sg/principles/FAQ_marriage.htm#2

I hope this posting will help some of you who are in the state of "confusion" over what to do. You should decide how you want to live and definitely have the power change your own lives.

Life is Beautiful, So are our Lives!

L

lost love

Hi, I am looking at how to file for a divorce. I am married 2 years so do not qualify 3 years serparation etc.
Any1 know how much approx. is the whole thing?
Does it mean that if I hire the lawyer, i have to pay full amt? Can I petition for my stil-be husband to pay half?

jewelmelody

Hi lost love, it depend whether the divorce proceeding is contest or uncontested.
contest will have to spend much more.. sky the limit..depend how the whole thing drag.
uncontest is simpler and cost less..
Not necessary you have to pay full amount and you can petition the husband to pay for it.

C

cheated_

hi there...

need to ask... my wife cheated on me many times and i got evidence... anyone know about divorce laws with regards to infidelity? I cant live with her anymore and i want to let go...

H

hicheated

Hi Cheated,

What evidence have you got? If the picture is taken by yourself or by her, then that cannot be used. Evidence needs to be gathered by a third party, such as a PI. If you wanna file for divorce on adultery, you may engage a PI and take pictures of their intimacy. Pls keep in mind that you can't file for adultery if you've known of that for more than 6 months. So act fast.

cool_angel

Hi,

I need help... I was injured by my hb. He turned violent when he gets angry. Its not the first time but its only now that I've file for a police report. Although we are still living together but he simply don't care and expecting me to give in and be nice.

I can't live on like this anymore. Can I file for a divorce or do i have to file for separation first?

Please recommend a gd lawyer.

Thx

josephine966

Hi,

I'm married less than 3 years, but understand one of the citeria for divorce is, the couple has to be married for at least 3 years.
So, what should I do if I want a divorce? I'm currently not staying with my husband, and have not gone through the chinese customary.

Please advise..

hi,
i have gotten a flat w my HTB. but we hvnt ROM. deadline is Dec, end of this year. I have gone thru some discussions about the ROM preparation (both of us have no intention for customary). He said the tables will be split 50/50 (my intention is to have about 2 tables on my side as ROM is a small affair & vice versa for him). I m quite saddened to hear this from him. As for wedding band & gown & photos shoot, he said all will be incurred by him. My HTB's nature is more of a calculative type when it comes to $$.

pls share your views...

S

sad&lost

Hi all ... Please advise
My hubby & I has already signed the separation paper BUT he suddenly feels tat he wants another chances (but the mistake he made is VERY big which is hard for me to forget) Yet we decided to try again BUT its seems tat we end up quarreling more due to his mistake . I kept suspending tis & tat (but its not my fault to suspend , he lied in the 1st place now he cant expect me to trust him again so fast) He say he wants us to be happy again & tat he would love me more than ever & will not lie to me again BUT its seems we sort of become distanced (as in not like b4) He has oso become Bo Chap of me at times (which hurts like hell) the reason is tat he felt he dun deserve another chance & tat I shd find sum1 better (SUPER contradicting rite ? 1 moment u want back the next u say bye , as if I'm a super amusing toy) Thus I tink I ned sum advise & info ...
Here are my 2 questions :
1) Do we need to void the separation or just leave it as it is & how much will it cost roughly (OR its true tat as long as we dun file for divorce at the end its ok) BUT I sort of feel uneasy .
2) Maybe we shd go to the professional help like counselling & how much will it cost ?
Thx 4 reading & answering !

S

stint

Hi, can anybody help me with some of the questions below:
1) If a couple is married for 3 years and one of the partner commit adultery, can the other partner file for immediate divorce within 6 mths after discovery with PI's investigation proof?
2) Can the wife ask for maintenance if she is the one who commit adultery?
3) If the wife commit adultery,can they ask for their legal documents to be paid by their husband?
4) How long it takes for the divorce procedure if it involves adultery?
5) How much is the lawyers fees?
6) How much is it to hire a private investigator?
pls advise thks.

D

dilemmmma

i'm wondering if it is really necessary to engage my own lawyer when signing the deed of separation? how much will it costs?

michelle_

Hi all

You can apply for immediate divorce since there's a proof of adultery and it will take about 6mths to complete the whole divorce procedure.

Lawyer fee depend whether there is other property involve and children. Should be range from $2400 - $2800 if it goes on smoothly without denied.

It difficute to ask can "husband" to paid all the legal documents if you start the file unless he agreed in the first place.

You mind not need to hire a private investigator in order to proof that commit adultery. You can use words like suspect or maybe SMS proof. I believe you should have some proof in hand already. nowadays all divorce procedure will takes only 6mths and no need to go under separation.

If you are running tight on budget you can get help on Legel Aids @ maxwell which they charges approx $500-$1000 depend on case by case base but your income should not hit more than $1500 monthy.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

C

concerned123

After 3 yrs u can file for divorce already, not neccessary must be adultery in order for it to be short. If u're the one that committed adultery and is a gal, then dun file for that. Proceedings may be longer if there's other liabilities such as flats and children involved.

aspialle

Question:
my frd has ROM for a year and has not hold customary wedding. They bought a flat thru CPF and downpayment in cash.is it considered annulment of marriage or divorce? what happen to the flat as it is bought less than 2 years?

I

in_a_daze

anyone knows what is the procedure to sell flat back to HDB under the fiance/fiancee scheme? we broke up but have not ROM-ed yet.

jumper

Hi can anyone help me, pls??

We have ROM less than a year and we have not go thru the customary. I realized that we are not longer compatible and I cannot live with him anymore despite he is a very caring hubby. The worst is our trust has gone; there is no more trust between us. I do not know how to go thru the divorce process and how much it will cost me. On the other hand, I’m do not think I qualify for divorce based on the 5 criteria and also 3 years separation. We have not stay together as we have not get our flat yet.

I know by asking him for divorce will hurt him a lot but I do not want to drag this anymore longer. It will only make us unhappy and mentally abuse…

W

wish to be single again

Hi wendy, u may like to contact my friend, Nellie whom work in a legal firm to give u advice.
Her contact is 63240040

P

pretty lost

Dear All,

I need help. I am ROm less than a yr too. I wanted anullment. My hubby refused. I stated terms for deed of separation he disagree too. I think he is trying to give me a hard time...Anyone can help me?

Wish to be single again..can i call your friend Nellie? I am so vexed by all the nonsenses from my hubby.

btw, i have photos of him sleeping with a gal in my house. How much can i prove him wrong? Shd i go for court case? It is gng to be expensive...anyone pls help me...

the

pretty lost, you have photos of him sleeping with another gal in your home??? were you there?? must have been traumatic. do be strong. seek help from a lawyer. will cost $ but i think you should get out of this mess asap...

P

pretty lost

$$ is an issue for me. thats why i wan to find out more before i engaged one.

i am thinking, if i stay on for another 2yrs and used the photos on the 3yr of marriage. will the court grant me immediate divorce? This way i only wait another 2yrs instead of 3yrs..

Any advises?

jolyn88

hi michelle

any idead if you earn more than $1500, but is stil paying off the credit card debts (under my name)of the husband & is paying for all the hsehold, child's maintenance (he's not paying anything), will the Legel Aids @ maxwell view it on case-by-case basis? thks.

anyone has contacts to lawyers with reasonable costs? cos $ is really a issue for me.

also, i need advice for selling the flat & applying for divorce. any difference in the 2 scenerios below?
1) divorce 1st then sell the hse & apply a resale flat on my own
2) get my husband to apply together (so that i need not seek a shelter under other ppl), then once got the hse, file for divorce & i keep the hse.

if i divorce 1st then get a flat on my own, how long do i hv to wait before i get the key?

grateful if anyone can enlighten me on these qns i have. i've been cracking my head since 1 yr ago, trying to look for the various lawyer & property agent's contacts so that i can get out of this mess asap & get on with the next chapter of life with my little boy after so many things has happened.... =(

kikigal

Hi to all.
Can i have the contacts to a good divorce lawyer? I need to end my miserable and abusive marriage fast, i'm with strong support from my family.... Thanks!!

powderful888

Hi all,

I've known my wife for 4yrs and we ROM in Mar 07 (6mths ago). I'm 30yrs and she is 27yrs this year. We have been staying together for the past 1 year. She is nice, good to me and means everything to me. She is a very very kind hearted person and would give her all to help close friends and needy people. I love her more than she loves me, and she admitted this as well.

I done alot of things just for her, and trying to give the best for her. But it seems like my "best" for her isn't enough. She is saying that I'm earning too little compared to others, and making tonnes of sarcastic remarks during arguments. The biggest negative point about her is her temper. When she flares up, basically the whole blk of people would know that we are quarrelling. During these quarrels, she would be screaming her heat off, hurling vulgarities, calling names like "creature" and loads of uncouth words at me in front of my Mum. (We are staying together)My mum feels so sad that I've been treated like a piece of shit from my wife. My wife would demanded to be divorce whenever we quarrel.

But I have to confess that I had done something bad 2yrs back which hurt my wife terribly (I had another girl but since broke up). Whenever a quarrel ensures, she would pick up the whole incident again and blaming me for hurting her so much. I am truely sorry about the past incident, but saying sorry is not enough for her. I myself have a bad temper, but I've since tone down since I met her 4yrs back. But during quarrels, I always give in to her and once I started giving in she would flare up even more and starts her verbal abuses.

The last quarrel was 1 month back and she wanted a divorce. She claimed that she has had enough of me. Initially I agreed as I was very pissed off as well, but few days later the matter of divorce cooled.

She has since left for a 2weeks biz trip and would be coming back tomorrow. During these two weeks, I've been thinking about the issue of divorce and I feel the best position for both of us is to go for it. She had a thorn which she had been burying in her heart for 2yrs with other gal that she will never ever forgive me.

I love her with all my heart, but if she is unable to break away from that particular incident mentally & psychology, there is no way we can "live happily every after". Quarrels make relationships weaker. And our relationship gets weaker by the day.

On the other hand, my dad passed away 4yrs ago, and I've now an aged mum which I've promised my dad on his deathbed that I would take care of my mum forever. This is another obstacle which I have to go through.

Sigh, I'm at dead's end.Should I pop the question tml when she's back or should I wait till the next quarrel arrives and agreed to her request of divorce?

I still love her and I don't blame her, but i seriously doubt she would be able to change her temper... sigh...

unhappy...

goooogal

Hey, sorry I find ur post somewhat contradictory.. U say ur wife is kind and nice to u but then she hurls abusive words at u during quarrels... Hmm. But anyway what do u usually quarrel about? Have u tried professional counselling since the incident 2 yrs ago? I guess there is no closure for u and ur wife over that incident and that's causing her to bring it up everytime u guys have a row. Yes for some pple, it's v difficult to forgive and forget. Furthermore 2 yrs is not that long a time...

I think the best is to have a good talk w her when she returns. Dun talk abt divorce yet but say that u know things have not been going well between the both of u but u really want to make this marriage work. Ask if she is willing to work together w u and forgive and forget the past. If she says ok, ask her to commit to not using the past against u when u have disagreements. It's not going to be easy to change her temper so u need to be extra patient. The best is to walk away when there is an argument and dun let it escalate further.

powderful888

thanks for your reply. Yeah, my wife is really a kind hearted and nice woman. She's so nice that losing her would be my last option.

But I've to be very fair to her. I've done 1 wrong thing, and she had bottled up her feelings for more than 2yrs.

She has had many suitors while I'm wooing her and yet she chose me over 3 other guys who is financially much well to do compared to me. This proved that she really loves me. But time & time again, I've let her down. That particular incident, numerous arguments which left her crying her heart out on many ocassions could be the last part of the whole race for the both of us.

I've already spoken to her many times to give me chances after chances and probably this is the final straw for her. Hai..

This morning, i've read about a 22yr old professional footballer losing consciousness during a football match, and he passed away 3days later. This brings back many many bad memories where I lost my dad 4yrs back. I've learnt that life is short and treasure your love ones. But on the other side of the coin, I could not bring myself to keep on begging & insisting for another chance. I need to be fair to her.. she might lead a much more better life if she leaves me...

I've just called her 1hr ago and she could sense that I've something to tell her. She asked me "when can we settle our things" and I replied that if she feels the best option is to divorce, I would agree and suit her wishes.

I was holding back my tears when I said that and there were quite a couple of pauses and no one speaks. I cut the conversation short by saying that we will discuss again tml when she comes home.

I'm feeling very very down now, and it hurts.. sigh...

goooogal

Hey... i dunno why u choose to admit defeat when things cld be worked out if u put ur heart to it. Does it make u feel better to throw the ball in her court? Ok... since u made ur move, nothing to say liao... all the best.

powderful888

i've tried to mend the relationships many times, but it has become so vulnerable that it might snap anytime. It has already reached a point whereby I seems to be so "afraid" of upsetting her in anyway. I've resorted to giving in to her ANYTHING, but I guess there would be a time where I would just burst out all my frustration in one shot & end the relationship. End results would be another round of arguments & verbal abuse. It's just a cycle, if you can understand what I mean. Sigh..

Anyway, G~gal, thanks for listening.......

goooogal

Hey, dun mention it.. but I think that if u really love ur wife, then dun give up easily. I can understand what u mean by a vicious cycle. Perhaps the mistake was marrying before the feelings of anger was resolved. Still.. i think ur wife may still love u, just the unresolved feelings and all those arguments make it difficult.

powderful888

we both had bad tempers. But like mentioned several times in my post, my wife is a very very kind hearted person. She eats "soft" but not "hard", if u know what I mean in mandarin. She came from a very well-to do family and used to get everything under her belts. She is very pampered by her parents as she is the only child in the family. She basically spends so much during her teens like buying a pair of boots for $1000!

Since young, I've also had a bad temper but I've since tone down so much for her. Tempers flare during our initial relationships but I would always be the first to relent. Gradually it seems like she made it looked like she is ruling the whole relationship over me. She will forever think she's right in front of others and I would forever be in the wrong.

She will say some consoling words before we sleep to "humour" me and I am always ready to forgive and forget.

That particular incident of mine really pisses her off. Any minor things, she would flare up and arguments follow and she will bring up the same old incident again & again. She would starts quarrelling with me in front of anybody who is in my house if I started to piss her off in away way. And for a guy's & limit, I can only take that much of abuse. We would then continue to scream at each other. Pride for a man is definitely thrown out of the windows when arguments ensured. sigh, same vicious old cycle.

I'm very sure that she is emotionally and mentally hurt by the past, which is making it impossible for us to mend the already broken relationship.

4.5 yrs of relationship... it's so difficult to elaborate and explain in just 3 simple posts.

powderful888

G-gal, yeah.. it was a mistake to ROM in Mar 07. A genuine mistake which we both agreed. We should have allowed time to heal the wounds, but how long is it gonna take? No one knows except herself.

I can't blame her for having that incident bugging her all her life.. it was my fault and I'm ready to do whatever she wants to, eg. if she wants out of the relationship to get on with her life.

I'm terribly sad, but do I have any other choice?

cangeline

Hi,

I have similar problem with Hey. Just that i am playing Hey's wife role. Sometimes when a trust is broken, it can never be mended. Just like my relationship with my husband. Like you, I just ROM in June 07. I really regret. The thing is that ever since the betrayal relationship, I feel insecure towards my husband, so i start controlling him and his movement. However when i dominated the relationship, it does give me happiness for a while. I dislike him being with his friends cause his attention would always be on his friends not me. And his friends were all aware of his betrayal on me partially is they have also been speaking ill of me at times which causes the betrayal.

I am native to think that i can have trust in the relationship again however being insecure, I start to control my husband and he is annoyed.

We are planning to get married in July this year and we got our flat earlier which i do not know how to settle since we have paid most of this items and i am feeling that our marriage would not work out and i rather end it now then later with children.

He is a good husband, maybe it is me that is not good enough for him.

Please give me advise on the lawyer choice.

honeybearz

Hi, will like to seek your advice as to whether should a separation or divorce be the best option for my husband and myself. Our decision to separate is an mutual one. My husband and myself has been dating for 7 years and married for 5 years. However, along the way, love fizzles out and he just wants out claiming that I can't be the perfect soul mate he's looking for ... he's tired of being a good husband and wanted to stop here before we get stucked into a loveless relationship with kids. Of course, the trigger point is that he actually deliberately went to find a woman when he's overseas and convinced that there's a soulmate out there for him.

I am just very tired of this.. however I do still love him but I cannot tolerate infidelity whilst married to someone.

Therefore, the best option now is to either go for separation or divorce. Can I ask if during the 3 year separtion, is there a possibility to go for divorce?

advisor00

To Hey

Unlike many ppl here in this forum who don't deserve my pity when they break up ( IMAGINE JUST A FEW MONTHS AND THEY SAY IT'S A MISTAKE TO GET MARRIED!), I understand your case was a genuiune feeling towards each other when you both got married but the true colurs just shows up later, to be more than each party is able to take.

There are various ways in which I see your case.

Both of you are still young( you didn't mention whether you got kids, I assume you don't),are you both willing to be counselled and give the marriage a chance to work out? ...let's say for a period of 1 year henceforth?

If not, then with the current suituation in the way your wife is behaving, it will only be getting worse for both of you. I might be unfair to your wife, as I was only hearing this issue from you alone.

You might have some faults too ( besides those you are willing to admit here) that contributed to her being this way.

But to mend relationship, both parties MUST see past their faults, forgive and truly 'want to be nice' to each other hence.

It takes both parties to mend and forge a good and healthy relationship.

Sometimes, things just didn't quite turn out right and whether this is the point or not..only you will know. If it is, then it is better for both of you to part your ways amicabily and 'get back your remaining years of your life' and move on in life the way you would like to.

Cheers

viethai

hi, anybody knows if a couple has been living separately for than 3 yrs, can either party proceed to file a divorce based on 3 yrs separation with consent even though they have not sign any deed of separation?

cappucino

Hi Honeybear,

If I'm not wrong, you can ask for a divorce and don't need to go through 3 years separation since you were married for 5 years.

Hi Salor,

Can you please email me the lawyer's contact to:
[email protected]? Thanks