Curtains

catz

hi hi girls!!

meimei, thanks for all your help but that day, my designer brought me to buy curtains already.. spent $1400 for living, dining (full height, almost wall-to-wall) and master bedroom day & night curtains.. the materials used are really fab (european) and even the day curtain fabric has a little bit of design. Overall, very impressed and they will be installing on-time. Actually, I know it's quite expensive 'cos they use good fabric but my mother also pointed out that curtains will last for a long time so can spend a bit more. So proud of myself 'cos I bargained off about $100+... well, not really bargained but I think she could see how broke I was! (spent $1600 on lighting just half an hour before that so I must have looked very pathetic... hehe...)

*phew*... everything settled. Reno will be done on Feb 2nd. Professional cleaners coming in Feb 4th and move-in day Feb 5th!!!
happy.gif
Now only need to find vacuum cleaner... still debating btw getting OSIM Mermaid or Kaarcher... hmmmz...

Thanks everyone, for giving me your contacts.
happy.gif

ryn

Hi Cheer!

Sorry, was really bz, so didn't see your posting. Yes, Mr Lui does roman blinds. But I dunno how much. Think it is more expensive. Heard that if you choose to do your own installation it's cheaper. But our contractor not very happening... so we paid the extra $$.

meimei

Dun mentioned Catz...u r most welcome!!

Heehee.....I think $1400 is consider good price liao! u quite good hor...can bargain so much!!! kekekeke...

Wah...u spent so much on lightings ahh...must be very nice lor!! kekeke...

As for vaccum cleaner, do remember to consider the noise level of the vaccum cleaner!!

I just want to share some experience with you all...the new vaccum cleaner i have at home now is giving me BIG headache!!! Cos, its damn noisy!!

Imagine...if i am vaccuming in my living room...i cant heard hubby's screaming in the kitchen!!! Even handphone or doorbell oso cant hear!!! So the jiak lat!! We so regret!! Will definately source for another one if we have more budget!!!

catz

hi meimei,
no lah, i totally suck at bargaining!!! $1400 is only for living, dining and master bed room but i suppose it's reasonable for the good quality fabric that i'm getting. very stylo.. hehe..

yah, i got some designer lighting. also, i think it cost quite a bit 'cos i have a lot of recessed lighting (down-lights). 1 down-light costs approx $32. :p

thanx for the advise on vacuum cleaner. which vacuum did you buy? my greatest priority for my vacuum is tt it doesn't use dust-bags as me and hubby are SUPER allergic to dust.. so looking for something water-based.

BTW, i got my curtains from Beauty Furnishing at Sultan Plaza. they've got really luxurious fabrics and a lot of innovative wall-hangings. a very wide range of curtains, even for the day curtains
happy.gif

meimei

hahaha....oic...downlights are much costly!!

my vaccum cleaner are those normal types!! Hitachi brand!! So "L"!! yah...if got budget, buy those water based type! can vaccum & wash carpets at the same time!!! Very Good!!!

Glad that u find the curtains u like!! kekeke...

yah catz...remember the link u gave me the other time?? I still cant view leh!! Can u email me again? Thanks alot!!

meow

dear all,

i am about to fix my curtain poles. I intend to DIY. Do you know how high should i fix these poles? Usually, what is the length of the off the shelve curtain (too lazy to make any alternation)?

thanks!

R

rellik

Hi Catz ur downlights at $32 izzit inclusive of installations per point and got gold plated (hee hee cannot resist sorry ah). Its quite expensive if it does not include the above mentioned coz a fully aluminium(which is better, won't rust easily compared to stainless steel..serious), powder coated costs $8-10 complete set without installation and of course not OSRAM bulbs but OSRAM daylight is also made in Korea. Another thing abt moving in after the professional cleaners have cleaned the house is abit not practical as when you move in the house will be dusty again..I also allergic to dust...You should consider cleaning the house urself but relak relak one lah then move in unpack and call the pros clean everything for you... the cleaners abit ex rite?? I would say 400-1000 denpending on size and condition of house..How much and who is ur pro cleaning by the way?

catz

hi rellik,
i know they're pretty expensive but they come with diffuser and they're not the made in taiwan sort. my designer showed me 2 almost identical downlights, one made in taiwan and the other was european made... can see the difference. i never said it was stainless steel either. all the bulbs come inclusive and installation was not necessary as my designer got our contractor to put the lights up. as for the pro cleaners, i am leaving it all to my designer as i don't have time to clean up immediately. it was included in my design contract.

R

rellik

Ay Catz make sure ur designer clean the house clean clean ah usually they dun call the real pros but just general cleaners to clean the house. Sigh tats wat happened to me, I wasn't around the first 2 times when they cleaned my house. After tat i still got to clean myself then after I move in I will be getting the real pros to do it.
No choice for me coz the nose tap spoil already everytime leaking cannot turn off one!!! I dun mean to be crittical abt ur down lights but again tats wat happened to me tats y i dun trust these contractors already...after installing all the lights they told me theres an additional charge of $10 per point...
sad.gif

R

rellik

Hi to everyone sorry to go out of point from the curtains topic but I made it a point to expose all unscrupulous contractors whenever possible as a form of revenge for all the damage they did to me hehe...
happy.gif

catz

rellik, understand you're very frustrated. i would be too, if i had a bad experience with my designer. i signed up with HOI design which is tied in with the Absolute group of companies which owns Melandas so it's pretty reputable. so far, no problems and their workmanship is of a very high standard. not some cheapskate contractor type. hope you sort out your mess soon. why don't you complain to CASE? i still don't understand what you mean about your downlights. i'm very satisfied with mine. they are very well-made and i'm not the type to count every cent, i suppose. which contractor did you sign up with? why don't you post it so that ppl will know and avoid them?

kit

Hi Gals,
I am currently sourcing for curtains. When I visit those condo showflats, the sheer type of curtains are really nice and modern. Do any one know where I can get it. Hope it will be too ex leh. Really appreciate all comments.

gim

hi hwee,

i ustand from the above postings dat u've engaged the malaysian contractor to do ur curtains. May i know how's their workmanship? tks!

S

stv

hi, juz to share that i have signed up a Curtain Company called Surin during the Expo Exhib last wkend. Living-Day/night curtain, 3 bedrm + 1 aircon ledge for Roman Blind. Total package $1588. Material quite gd.

V

viewer

Hi everyone,

There are a few type of windows curtain that you can chose from. Below are some example:

Curtian
Venetian Blind
Vertical Blind
Window Film
Bamboo Chicks
Roller Blinds

If I am not wrong Roller Blinds are one of the expensive one, but it do look good for the rooms. Also you can install those blinds that look like nets very nice in the night as it is a bit translucent when at nite the light is switch on from inside.

If anyone of you are really looking for all this or want to know any qoute for what you want, you can give Ms Ng Siew Ting at 9819 6963 (HP) or 92889051 (pg) a call, she will be able to help you on this. Her workmanship are good and the price are competitive.

A Lady call Ms Ng to check out the work and the price, in the end that lady decide to use Ms Ng service as her workmanship is good and the price she qoute is much better then the price the lady's unlce qoute her(the lady uncle also in curtain business)!!! I will be having my house (intend to do both day day and night roller blinds) done by her too once my renovation work is done.

Do give her a call and ask for reference work and price qoute I am sure you will be a happy customer after the beautiful curtains are hang up!

L

lq

Hi all

Would also like to share with u my pleasant experience with this guy by the name of Max, recommended by Louie from another thread.
Think he's really helpful and honest in his dealings.
I'm doing roller blinds and have a couple of small windows which i wanted to block off. He recommended that we buy cheaper roller/roman blinds at Ikea and he'll ask his workers to install for me (as what one of his clients did), as he explained that they have a min. width for each blind and anything below the min. width is not really worth the money for order from them. So in the end it cost me $950 in all to install roller blinds in my 5-rm flat. (In which 3 of the rooms¡¦are blackout type, meaning can block out sunlight 100%)
Anyway, went Ikea and realised that they only custom-make curtains.
The next day, called to tell him that we couldn't find it, and he said he'll go Ikea and find out for me.
I don't think he's obliged to travel all the way to Ikea to look for me but he did, and I'm really happy with his sincerity.
So anyone who intends to do blinds/ curtains, you may wish to contact him at 90288704

A

amura

HI, all. I had a quotation of $2.5k for day and night roman binds (for 4 bedrooms - European fabric for night and Organza for day) plus, vertical blinds for full-height balcony and living room window. Can anyone advise whether is the quotation is reasonable?

Tks

white

Hi amura,
I not so sure but for the price. But I can recomaned one of my curtain makers to you. Her quotation is very reasonable.

If u r interseted, pls leave your email address. Thanks....

N

newhebe

Hi gals,
I need some advice. how do you decide whether to make blinds or curtains? and isit necessary to have day and night curtains?

Thanks

cody

amura, its hard to say if you got a good deal or not. It really depends on the length of your windows, how many windows and the type of dwelling (5-room / EC / landed etc).

Off hand, $2.5k sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

naddy

I need advice!

My living room faces a hill and a park. So, I don't think I need the thicker curtain (That's called the night curtain, right?) I think I'll only need the day curtain (the light, sheer one?)

"Viewer" above said: "Also you can install those blinds that look like nets.."

Is there such a thing? It'll be great if such a thing exists. There's plenty of mosquitos from the hill so I need something to block off the mosquitos after the rain.

My bedroom faces another block so I'll definitely need curtains for that.

What is roman blinds? Am thinking of having them for the bedroom if they are less hassle-free than a curtain.

mimosa

Hello!

I did my 5rm resale flat at only $1800!! 4 bedrooms with day and night curtains: master bedrm is roman blinds with day curtains, 2 rooms double rod with day n night, and 1 study room with tracks also day n night. Living area using bamboo chic roman blind mechanism type, not the roller ones. And roller blinds for the big glass panel separating living and study. I think mine is considered cheap. We sourced for materials at the bigger and more renowned shop and got exactly the same materials from a shop in JB. This guy was recommended by my hubby's colleague and we asked him to come to our house for a no-obligation quotation. After comparing quotations from him and other shops, found that his is the most reasonable.

Naddy, roman blinds are drawn upwards unlike those conventional types which are drawn to the sides. There's strips of metal inserted into the blinds for the mechanism to work. When it's being drawn up, it will fold into many folds, stacking together in layers. It's neat and show clean lines when u draw it down, and more zen like. However roman blinds dun look good with full-length windows.

naddy

Thanks mimosa!

I actually google-d for pictures of roman blinds and I am now fully aware of what they are.

My sister, however, told me that roman blinds are not really nice.

She told me to get the conventional day and night curtains.

But, I'm intrigued by your idea of having roman blinds with day curtains. Does that mean that your roman blinds is inside (nearest to the window) while your day curtain is outside?

Will be glad if you can provide pics once it's ready!
happy.gif

mango

Hi Naddy, Roman Blinds can look real nice, depending on how it goes well with the overall design of your place.

I wanted to get roman blind but due to cost factor , we settled with Roller Blind. My whole place is done with Roller blind, no curtains at all.

mimosa

Hi Naddy,

It depends on the material u choose. For Roman blinds, you must choose prints that are simple and geometric. Big floral or loud prints would make it look ackward. Roman blinds look good with stripes. I see if I got a good picture of the blinds to send u. My roman blinds face the inside of the house, whereas the day curtain is the one nearest the window. If roman blind is outside, the it would block out the sunlight totally when closed, and defeats the purpose of having a day curtain.

naddy

I've kinda decided to do roller blinds for kitchen and the 2 other bedrooms. The roller blinds will hopefully be made using those translucent, net-like thingy. (I saw screens at Lami furniture, a shop in Marina Square - very nice!)

The living room, dining room and our master bedroom will have proper day and night curtains.

cherubies

hi,

anyone have any experience with Window Image... at Woodlands Causeway Point? think they have an outlet in marina square as well.

do let us know ...
thank you.

M

mail lum

hi cherubies,

i just placed my deposit with their branch in Marina Square. The curtains will be delivered next week. maybe i'll give you my comments next week?

M

mail lum

hi cherubies,

not sure if you're still interested to know... nonetheless, just to update you... the curtains have been put up and i'm pretty happy with them. The workmanship is quite good. I would say, the price is not exactly the cheapest around but i think it's a reasonable price to pay for good materials and quality
happy.gif
happy.gif

One thing to highlight is that you should choose the materials on site. Ask them to bring to your house before you decide. Sometimes, the colours may differ a little when you view them in their shop and in your own house.

Hope this helps.

cherubies

Hi mail_lum,
thanks for the update. sorry wasn't around.

glad that you are happy with your curtains! always gald to hear a good review.

thank again..
happy.gif

cherubies

Hi all,

i must say that the service is lousy for Window Image (Causeway Point). The rods they provided are bent. When I called Mr Bobby Neo to question why, he said it's like that. When they deliver, they would check. But reach there different matter. What different matter?

I told him that he promised (before we signed) everything would be ok when the stuff are delivered as they would have checked before they leave the factory. But now how come like that. He couldn't answer me. I said he's not keeping to his promise and cannot deliver the quality of things.

I had to cancel the cheque (i'm working and my fh gave them the cheque for payment) as I don't think it's work complete. I dislike the way they handle things. Promised one thing yet cannot deliver. They are supposed to come back by wed with new rods.

Sorry if I sounded harsh but it's really get on my nerves as this is the first time I have personally met such a vendor who thinks he knows his stuff well yet can't delivered. If anyone wants to know more, let me know. Just want to let everyone know to be cautious. tat's all.

M

mail lum

Hi cherubies,

so sorry to hear about your bad experience wif them. Glad that you mananged to cancel your cheque in time, else they may never come back to fix it for you... didn't think that they'll give you bent rods. Gosh, that will really look quite bad... you dun worry too much about it also, ok? since you're still holding on to the payment, juz make sure they do a good job before you pay them.

have a good week ahead!!

cherubies

Hi mail_lum,

i'm ok now. will have to wait till they "complete" their job. then i will make payment this time.

you too have a good week ahead!
happy.gif

lynn

Hey everyone,

I just bot my curtains from a shop at marina square. They sell very nice ready made curtains, mostly from Korea. They are having some promotion now and I bot all my rooms' curtain from there.
I think its a good deal, maybe you all can chk this out before thinking of custom make ones, which are more ex.

eos

hi lynn,

did u do it for the whole house? how much did u pay for the whole house? day n nite curtains? or jus nite curtains? how many rm is ur home?

cheers,
happy.gif

lynn

Hi eos,

Mine is a 5-rm flat, I did not do for the whole house. Here are the things i bot:
1. 2 roman blinds
2. 1 roller blind
3. 2 3.6m rod for living room (without any curtains)
in total i paid $680.
Intend to get my living room curtains from ikea, barang barang due to tight budget.

Day and nite curtains need to // rods and it cost more. So we will put day and nite together in 1 rod and it looks as nice too, fr wat i saw fr my fren's house.

eos

thanks lynn for the info...

if day n nite curtain on same rod then hv to use them togerther rite?

happy.gif

min

Dear All,

Any gd recommendations on curtains shop? gd service and reasonable price? Anyone has experience with Choice curtain and furnishing. Spoke to them at the expo but need to source around before committing.

T

tt

i got my curtains from a shop in Clementi Central. There are 2 curtain shops near the big clock. Mine was from the one opposite the big clock, first shop after walking down the stairs.

They charge me abt $700+ for custom made normal curtains. Curtain material is more than $12+/per yard i think. For this price, i get living room day and night curtain and 3 bedrooms night curtain. Curtain tracking was provided by my contractor.

naturally

Hi all,
Just want to share my experience with Sunrin Design, i've had my share of reno woes and furniture delivery headaches, but my curtains is the only thing that gave zero problems. They were recommended by our ID, the salesguy brought sample fabrics up to our house, so that we can match the colour to our furniture, and also check how much sunlight the fabric can filter off. Then he took measurements and quoted us on the spot. Hassle-free for us.

The thing that impressed me and hubby most is their service. On the day when we engaged them, the salesguy asked for our preferred date of installation. Said he will confirm with us soon. The very next day, hubby received a call from their headoffice, confirming the date and time. And then 1 day before the installation, the headoffice called again to remind abt the installation. And then on that day, the curtain guys really arrived promptly on the dot! And the installation was completed in a couple of hours.
happy.gif

This may not sound like a big deal, but for those who ever got crappy excuses from contractors, furniture shops, etc, u'll be as glad as me to find a shop that takes your business seriously!

Just for reference, we paid abt $2K for the following:
1) 1 full-height day & night curtain for living room
2) 2 half-height roman blinds with day curtains for 2 bedrooms
3) 3 half-height roman blinds for study room, dining hall window, and air-con ledge window
4) Day curtains use organza material

min

Hi ladies,

Roman blind is very 'in' nowadays, almost everyone is installing roman blind in their house. I like it very much too, but my hubby dislike the idea of installing roman blind for our bedrooms' windows
sad.gif
What's worrying him is that the curtains will spoil very easily after some pulling... Ladies is that true? Please help me to convince him. Thanks.

Naturally, can you provide us with the contact person and number, btw how much did you spent for the curtains?