Cooking Recipes as promised

envy

Woah,Carol r u married?
if yes,ur husband is such a lucky guy.....
happy.gif

joanne

hi envy
indeed u know her husband is very lucky. she knew how to cook, sew, and many more things...
admire her...hehhe

regd
joanne

carol

Hi Envy,
Yes... I am married & just had our wedding in July.

Hi Joanne,
Now, My hubby has been learning how to cook, bake too, so that he can cook for me. In that just I'll be that lucky wife.

Hahahaha....

Cheers:
Carol
happy.gif

angelia

hi,
I was wondering if anyone has a recipe to cook cabbage. My hubby bought cabbage instead of the lettuces which I asked him to buy. But, I am unsure how to cook the cabbage. 8P.

carol

Hi Angelia,
Thot of sharing this recipe with you.

Stir-Fried Mixed vegetables

<U>Ingredients:</U>
- 225g cabbage
- 155g baby sweetcorn
- 115g broccoli
- 1 large or 2 small carrots
- 4tbsp vegetable oil
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp brown sugar
- chicken stock or water
- 1tbsp light soy sauce
- few drops of sesame oil

<U>Method:</U>
1. Cut the cabage into thick slices. Cut the sweetcorn lengethways, if wished. Separate the broccoli into florets &amp; slice the carrots diagonally.

2. Heat the oil in the wok, add the cabbage, swetcorn, broccoli &amp; carrots &amp; stir-fry for about 2mins.

3. Add the salt &amp; sugar, &amp; a little stock or water, if necessary, so the vegetables do not dry out, and contiune stirring for another min. Add the soy sauce &amp; sesame oil, if using. Blend well into the vegetable mixture &amp; serve immediately.

Cheers:
Carol
happy.gif

orchid

Hi ladies...

My husband &amp; I absolutely lurve the mushroom straganoff at Marche but it costs $12 per plate with butter rice/rosti!! so yesterday i attempted to cook my own. and it tasted GREAT!! my husband really loved it. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients (got everything from Cold Storage)
1 pack fresh white button mushrooms (abt $4)
1 pack fresh brown Swiss mushrooms (abt $5)
1 onion chopped
350ml fresh milk (i used HL)
1 "McCormick Creamy Garlic Mushrooms" pack. (abt $3)

This serves 4. you can half everything for 2.

1. Sautee onion in a little oil, with button &amp; swiss mushrooms - 3-4 min until mushrooms almost cooked. it will be a bit wet.

2. Beat freshmilk &amp; "Creamy Garlic Mushrooms" pack contents together and pour into mushroom/onion mixture. Cook until cream thickens.

J

jolin tay

Hi,
Can you please advice which type of flour is best for shortcrust pastry?

Tks.

carol

Hi Jolin,

Plain flour is best for shortcrust pastry.
However, self-rising flour are commonly used too. The self-raising gent in the flour will make the pastry soft but less crisp compaired to using plain flour.

Cheers:
Carol
wink.gif

stars

Hi Orchid

Are you the Orchid in HIPV?

Hi Carol

Can I ask you how come you know so much about baking and cooking? DO you go for courses or you learn on the job. You are really good! Maybe you are a baker or a chef? ;P

stars

carol

Hi Stars,
Oh.... Experiences &amp; read up on books.

Nope, I'm not a chef or baker. But I really hope to become one someday!

Cheers:
Carol
rofl.gif

stars

Hi Carol

For the muffin recipe can I check I put the chocolate chips? I want to try to make chocolate muffin. Or do oyu have the recipe?

Thank you

stars

carol

Hi Orchid,
Sure you can either add in chocolate chips or coco powder.

Sure... I will post the receipe here.

Cheers:
Carol
happy.gif

carol

Hi stars,
Ops.... the above message is for you....

Hi Orchid,
Welcome back to the cooking thread!
happy.gif

Cheers:
Carol
rofl.gif

J

jolin tay

Hi Carol,
Thanks for answering my question, really appreciate very much!

By the way,do you happen to have the recipe for Teochew steamed fish.

Tks.

dolphin

Hi Carol,

I wanted to make blueberry muffin for the very first time. Can u pls tell me what is all-purpose flour? I went to ntuc, saw bread flour, plain flour, self-raising flour. Which one should I use?

And the recipe has baking soda. Am I right to say bicarbonate of soda is the equivalent of baking soda?

thanks

miro

Hi Carol,
Do you have the recipe of cooking beef ribs that you can share with me?

Thanks in advance!

carol

Hi Stars,
Here's the recipe for chocolate chip muffins

Chocolate Chip Muffins

INGREDIENTS:
- Nonstick oil spray
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (spoon into measuring cup and level top)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini-chocolate chips

METHOD:
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray twelve 2 3/4 x 1 1/2-inch nonstick muffin cups with oil.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until well combined. Set aside.

3. In another medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer set at high speed, beat the buttermilk, applesauce, brown sugar, egg, oil, and vanilla until frothy, about 2 minutes. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Using a spoon, mix just until moistened (there should be a few traces of flour remaining). Gently fold in the chocolate until the flour is incorporated. Do not overmix.

4. Divide the batter equally among the prepared muffin cups. Bake until the tops spring back when pressed gently in the center, about 20 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool in the pan on a wire cake rack for 10 minutes before removing from the cups. Serve warm or cool completely on the rack.

Cheers:
Carol
happy.gif

carol

Hi Jolin,
You are welcome!
happy.gif

Here's the recipe for Teochew Steamed fish.

Teochew Steamed Fish

<U>INGREDIENTS:</U>
- 600g fish (red snapper/ sea bass/garoupa)
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2tsp pepper
- 120g salted vegetables, soaked &amp; drained
- 4 dried chinese mushrooms
- 90g shredded chicken or pork
- 1 red chilli, seeded &amp; cut into strips
- 4cm ginger, cut into strips
- 2 pricked sour plums, lightly squueze
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 1/2cup fresh chicken stock
- 2tbsp shallot oil
- 1tbsp shallot crisp
- 1 stalk spring onion
- 2 springs coriandar leaves

<U>Method:</U>
1. Season fish with salt &amp; pepper &amp; place in heat proog dish. Spread salted vegetbles, mushrooms, chickens, chilli &amp; ginger over fish.

2. Add sesame oil &amp; stock &amp; lightly squeeze sour plums &amp; place beside fish.

3. Steam fish over boiling water for 15mins. When fish is cooked, drizzle shallot oil &amp; sprinkle shallot crisp, spring onion &amp; coriandar leaves over fish.

Cheers:
Carol
happy.gif

carol

Hi Dolphin,
all-purpose flour is also known as plain flour.It contain a medium protein content that makes it suitable for most baking uses.

Yes!
Baking soda, also known as bicarbonate of soda or sodium bicarbonate.

Cheers:
Carol
happy.gif

carol

Hi Miro,
Thot of sharing this beef rib recipe with you.

Barbecue-Style Braised Short Ribs

9175.jpg

- 5 lb lean beef short ribs, cut into 3-4-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thickly sliced crosswise into rings
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup purchased barbecue sauce
- 1 cup beef broth

<U>METHOD:</U>
1. Preheat an oven to 325 degrees F. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ribs and brown evenly on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer the ribs to paper towels to drain briefly.

2. Add onions to the same pot and saut&eacute; over medium-high heat, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and saut&eacute; until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes longer. Add the garlic and saut&eacute; for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato sauce, barbecue sauce and beef broth. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 minute to blend the flavors. Add the ribs to the sauce.

3. Bake until the meat is very tender, turning ribs occasionally, about 2 1/2 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place on warm plates and serve immediately.

Cheers:
Carol
smile.gif

carol

Hi salad,
I've a recipe of Orange Lettuce Salad to share with you.

Orange Lettuce Salad

9176.jpg

- 8 cups torn Bibb lettuce or salad greens of your choice
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted, optional

1. In a salad bowl, toss lettuce, onions and oranges; set aside. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, vinegar, sugar, parsley, salt if desired, pepper and hot pepper sauce; shake well.

2. Drizzle desired amount over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Refrigerate any remaining dressing.

Cheers:
Carol
bounce.gif

joyce

Hi Carol,
You really sound like an expert. Can you tell me how long it takes to boil herbal soup if I m not using pressure cooker.

Tks.

val

Halo all,

I'm new to this thread. I am thinking of cooking a simple candle light dinner for my FH on his b'day. But I'm the type who doesn't cook at all. So not sure what to start with. Anyone with suggestions on the recipes? To start with, we don't eat beef. Thanks!
happy.gif

dolphin

Hi Carol,

That means I just get the packet with the label, 'Plain Flour'. Do you know that the brand, Prima has a few different type of flour (Bread flour, self-raising flour)? Not sure whether got plain flour or not. If not, I get another brand that has the word plain flour on it.

by the way, I tried making pandan chiffon cake last saturday. I bought a packet of pandan chiffon from ntuc (can't remember the brand). I just have to use 7 eggs, 65ml of water, 65 ml of corn oil. Mix them and gradually pour in the packet of pandan chiffon flour. The instructions say to use a flour blending machine (don't know what is it called) to mix, but since I don't have one, I used a big spoon). The instructions say to use electric oven, preheat 175 degree Celsius, bake for 45 - 50 mins. As I'm using a conventional oven, I preheat for 10 mins at 175 degree celsius, I tune the time to 45 mins. But 15 mins later, I noticed that the cake was already ready and need to be taken out (it rises and the top is brown in colour). I quickly took it out. The result not so good, the bottom of the cake is not flat, but irregular shape. Cake was not spongy, a bit hard.
Could it be cause by the mixing steps?

thanks alot.

Anyone tried to bake chiffon cake before?

carol

Hi Stars,
Of course you can.... If you are using chicken, you can either use chicken wings or drumsticks.
Porkchop &amp; prawns are great choices.

wink.gif

dolphin

Hi Val,

You may consider this, my husband and I had ever prepared this for Valentine's day.

Soup: Campbell soup

Main course: We bought those marinated chicken/pork chop from cold storage.

Dessert: Ice-cream with strawberry or any fruits cut in small cubes Or you can get 2 slices of cakes from cake shop.

carol

Hi Val,
Here's some suggestions.

Appetizer: Shrimp in Garlic Sauce
9214.jpg

Main Course: Apricot-Maple Glazed Pork Chops
9215.jpg

Soup: Corn Chowder
9216.jpg

Dessert: Cappuccino Ice
9217.jpg

Cheers:
Carol
rofl.gif

carol

Hi Dolphin,
In fact, you can just look out (Plain Flour) or (all purpose flour) in Cold storage or baking suppilers store.

By reading from your steps, I think the main problem is, the cake mixture not well mixed.
For chiffon cake to rise nicely, air is well corporated in the mixture. I think if you use an electric mixer or hand-held electric mixer , that would be better, 'cos the speed is more uniform.

One more important thing, if you are using a spoon to mix the mixture, make sure you only stir in the same direction.

Cheers:
Carol
smile.gif

carol

Hi cynthia,
Here's the recipe of Chawan Mushi (Japanese Steamed Egg)

Chawan Mushi

9218.jpg

<U>INGREDIENTS:</U>(serve 2)

- 2 eggs
- 1&frac12; cups broth
- 2 shrimp
- 2 slices boiled fish paste
- 4 ginko nuts
- 2 small pieces chicken
- 1 lily bulb
- 1shiitake mushroom
- a few sprigs of mitsuba (a parsley-like herb)

1. Cut two wavy slices of boiled fish paste, undulating the knife to make the waves. Shell the shrimp and remove entrails. Sprinkle with a little salt, then boil without overcooking. Boil the ginko nuts and lily bulb, separately. Dip the chicken in soy sauce for extra flavor. Remove the stem of the shiitake mushroom, and cut the cap in half. Cut the mitsuba in 3cm lengths.

2. Make the egg/broth mixture. Beat 2 eggs. Mix with 1&frac12; cups of cooled broth. Season with &frac12; teaspoon salt and &frac12; tablespoon light soy sauce. Strain the egg mixture to make it smooth.

3. Divide all solid ingredients, except mitsuba, into two bowls evenly, then pour in the egg/broth mixture.

4. Place the bowls in a steamer when the water in it begins to boil.

5. Put a paper towel between the steamer lip and its lid, to prevent droplets falling from the lid into the bowls. Steam for about 7 minutes, at a low heat so a rough surface doesn't form. Then open the lid slightly to let some steam escape. Continue steaming for about 3 minutes.

6. The chawan-mushi is done when the surface is springy to the touch. Remove the bowls from the steamer. Garnish with mitsuba. Cover each bowl with a lid and serve.

Cheers:
Carol

val

Hi Dolphin,

I'm totally a nerd in cooking. So for the marinated pork / chicken chops, do i stir fry them jus with oil? Need garlic anot? Or else how do I cook it?

Anyone knows how to prepare whipped potato?

Carol,

Wah your capuccino ice certainly looks tempting yum yum...but I can't see the rest of the pics...Do you have the recipe for the appetizer and main course? I wld like to see which is more for my beginner standard...
lame.gif

Btw, does anyone know whether the lifespan of refrigerator wld be shorten if it is on for a day and off for a few weeks and on again? Cos I don't live there yet but without fridge seems so inconvenient when I'm there...no cold drinks, cannot keep the frozen meat etc...

dolphin

Hi Carol,

Oh, I see.... I stir in all sort of direction.

when the instructions say use 'electric oven', does it means use 'conventional oven'? I got my oven from Mayer, cost abt $599. I suppose that is known as a conventional oven as well as electric oven, right?

Have you tried making chiffon cake? Any recipes? I went through the past archive, think I didn't see anyone posted this recipe.

Hi all,
I just bought the 15inch Tiger Wok from OG and a smaller one that can be used to make chiffon cake. I guess you must have see demonstrations at CK tangs and OG, promoting the tiger wok. I've tried the chiffon cake at the demo but somehow feel that the cake does not taste as nice as the one we get from bakery shop.

Anyone has any idea why is it so?

Hi Val,
just put some oil (without garlic), put the meat in the wok, cook on one side and then flip to the other side to cook.

What whipped potato? Is it those at KFC?

For me, I also don't stay at my new house everyday. But I keep the refrigerator on, didn't switch it off. Think not so good to on and off the fridge.

carol

Hi Val,
Here's the recipe for whipped potatoes.

Whipped Potatoes

<U>INGREDIENTS:</U>(serve 4-6)
- 5 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 cup milk

1 Fill a medium size saucepan half full of water, and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Add potatoes to pot; the water should cover the potatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are easily pierced by a fork. Drain.

2 Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Add butter or margarine and milk, and mash with a potato masher. When well mashed, whip for a minute or two with an electric mixer set on medium speed.

Yes. I do have the recipe, I should E-mail to you. Please give me our E-mail.

Tr to leave refrigerator on but use up or discard perishable food, and if you have an ice maker, turn off the mechanism and water line following your manual directions. This will enable to refrigerator to have a longer lifespan.

Refrigerator/Freezer Energy Saving Tips :
Don't keep your refrigerator or freezer too cold. Recommended temperatures are 37&deg; to 40&deg;F for the fresh food compartment of the refrigerator and 5&deg;F for the freezer section. If you have a separate freezer for long-term storage, it should be kept at 0&deg;F.

Hope this helps!

Cheers:
Carol
happy.gif

carol

Hi Dolphin,
Electric oven works similarly like conventional oven so it's alright...

Here's the recipe for Pineapple Chiffon Cake

Pineapple Chiffon Cake

- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbl. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice (drain from a 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple and reserve pineapple for topping below)
- 1 cup (8) egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

1. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and add the oil, egg yolks, and pineapple juice. Beat smooth with a wire whip.

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together until very still peaks form. Do not underbeat.

3. Pour the batter over the egg white mixture. Gently fold the batter into the egg whites making sure it is well blended from the bottom of the bowl.

4. Pour into a 10-inch ungreased tube pan and bake at 350 degrees for 60 min. or until cake springs back when touched. Invert and cool. Split into two layers if desired and fill and frost with the pineapple topping.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Coconut Chiffon Cake with Coconut-Cranberry Sorbet

9259.jpg

- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut (about 3 ounces)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7 large egg yolks
- 7 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Fresh cranberries (optional)
- Fresh mint (optional)

1. Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Blend coconut and 1/4 cup sugar in processor until coconut is finely chopped.

2. Whisk flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl to blend. Make well in center of dry ingredients. Add coconut milk, oil, lemon juice and vanilla to well; then yolks. Whisk all ingredients until very smooth. Fold coconut mixture from processor into yolk mixture. Using electric mixer, beat whites and cream of tartar in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 1 cup sugar; beat until whites are stiff but not dry. Fold large spoonful of whites into yolk mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining whites in 3 additions.

3. Transfer batter to 10x4-inch angel food cake pan. Bake cake until golden on top and tester (slender wooden skewer) comes out clean, about 1 hour 5 minutes. Place narrow-neck bottle into center tube of cake pan. Stand bottle upright so cake hangs upside down. Cool cake completely. Cut around cake pan and center tube to loosen cake. Remove cake from pan; place on platter. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.)

4. Cut cake into wedges; place on plates. Spoon sorbet alongside. Garnish with fresh cranberries and mint, if desired.

Foy my own wiew, 'cos the method use is more on steming the cake, while those purchsed from bakery shops are done by baking. Baking usually makes cakes taste nice.

Cheers:
Carol
happy.gif

stars

Hi Carol
Can I have the recipes for the four course dinner also. How come only have the pics? Did you put in the recipe?

Thank you

stars

cynthia

Hi Carol, thanks for the recipe.

*<FONT COLOR="ff0000">C</FONT><FONT COLOR="119911">y</FONT><FONT COLOR="ff6000">N</FONT><FONT COLOR="0000ff">t</FONT><FONT COLOR="808080">H</FONT><FONT COLOR="aa00aa">i</FONT><FONT COLOR="0077aa">A</FONT>*

carol

Hi Stars,
Since I thought the recipes are rather long, so I didn't post them here.
Sure I'll E-mail them to you.

carol

<FONT COLOR="ff0000">Hi Cynthia,</FONT>
You are welcome!

<FONT COLOR="0000ff">Hi May,</FONT>
You can use any kind of milk, like those HL, Marigold milk from supermarket.

Cheers:
Carol
lol.gif

dolphin

Hi Carol,

if they are the same, why is it that the instructions say to bake for 45 -50mins using electric oven? And in my conventional oven, the manual guideline says for sponge cake, bake for 15 -20mins for 1kg or less. I'm puzzled. The timing can't be such a big difference, agreed?

by the way, which brand of oven are you using? I got mine from Mayer, will be signing up some of their baking class later
happy.gif

carol

Hi Dolphin,
I'm using TEFAL...

Hi strawberi75,
The recipe above is without gravy.

I've sent out the recipes already!

Cheers:
Carol
happy.gif