Cooking Recipes as promised

weddinggirl

Hi Carol:
Seems like this thread is rather quite lately.
Have you been very busy for your coming wedding?

Just like to check with you, do you have any recipes on Chinese New Year pastry. Like "Nian Gao", Pineapple tarts. I would like to try doing some.

Thanks, thanks.

Weddinggirl

carol

Hi Weddinggirl:

Woh, making CYN pastry, the thought of this makes my mouth watering.
I've to search through my recipes for the "nian Gao" & pineapple tarts, meanwhile let me share with you another CYN delight: Kueh Bangkit

KUEH BANGKIT
Ingredients:
1kg Tapioca Flour
4 egg yolk
350g fine sugar
2 and 1/2 grated coconut
2tsp vanilla essence

Method:
1. Dry-fry tapioca flour over moderate heat for 3mins. Then lower heat & continue frying for another 2mins.
2. Beat the egg yolks & sugar till dissolved.
Squeeze grated coconut with muslin cloth to obtain coconut milk. Boil coconut milk with 2tbsp sugar taken from the quantity stated in the above for 3mins.
3. Leave the boiled coconut milk to cool. Then add egg & sugar mixture to blend.
4. Divide the mixture into 2 potions.
Add half the tapioca flour into 1 of the potion. Then the remaining tapioca flour to the other.
5. Knead the dough untill pliable. If dough is sticky, add 1tbsp of tapioca flour to it.
6. Sprinkle 1tbsp of tapioca flour onto table surface. Roll dough out to 05cm thick & cut the shape with cookies cutter. Sprinkle tapioca flour on bakinf tray before placing the cookies on the tray for baking. Bake at 180Deg. for 20mins or untill cream in colour.

Enjoy & Happy New Year!
happy.gif

carol

jenjen

anyone got recipe for making OREA CHEESE CAKE?? like the ones at starbucks?? my hubby likes, i want to try making...
happy.gif

bubble

Hi Jen Jen,

I have a recipe for making Oreo Cheesecake:

Ingredients:
1 cup crushed OREO chocolate sandwich cookies (abt 12 cookies)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
4 packs (227g each) Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs
20 OREO chocolate sandwich cookies, quartered

Method:
Mix crushed cookies and butter, press onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Bake at 325 degree F for 10 minutes. (Bake at 300 degree F for 10 minutes if using a dark nonstick springform pan)

Mix cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.

Add eggs, mixing on low speed until blended. Gently stir in quartered cookies. Pour over crust.

Bake at 325 degree F for 1 hour or until center is almost set. (Bake at 300 degree F for 1 hour or until center is almost set if using a dark nonstick springform pan). Run knife around rim of pan to loosen cake, cool before removing rim of pan. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Garnish with whipped toppings.

Preparation: 25 minutes plus refrigerating.
Bake : 1 hour
Servings : 12

jenjen

hi bubble, when u mean bake, is it those convention oven or can i use microwave type of convention?? is it diff?? can anyone please advise me...

i'm hopeless at cooking...
lame.gif

bubble

Hi Jen Jen,
I am using a electric oven coz my microwave can't be used for cake baking. You can use microwave to bake cake if your oven comes with the baking option. Check your microwave operational guide.

S

siewhong

Hi Carol,
you mind sending me the recipes? Would like to try them out
happy.gif
esp after reading the postings!

Thanks in advance!

- Siew Hong

carol

Hi Sunny:
I've two set of recipe black pepper steak.

1.BLACK PEPPER STEAK
Ingredients:
-2 round steak
-tbsp flour
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 cup hot water

Method:
1. Remove fat from steak and cut into individual pieces. Combine flour, salt and pepper; pound into steak with meat tenderizer or rim of saucer on both sides.
2. Brown steak on both sides. Add water and onion. Cover; cook on low for 1-2 hours or until tender. Add more water if necessary.
rofl.gif

2. BLACK PEPPER STEAK
Ingredients:
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- pcs of beef fillet
2 tbsp butter

Method:
1. In a bowl, combine the black pepper, tamari, garlic, salt & mix well. Add in beef fillet & coat well on all sides. Cover & marinate in the refrigerator for 45mins.
2. melt butter in a saucepan over medium high heat. Place the beef fillet in the pan & saute for 6-8mins.
wink.gif

PASTA IN CREAM SAUCE
Ingredients:
1 pound broccoli, cut into 1 1/2 inch florets (about 3 cups)
8 cups water
2 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup white wine
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 scallions, diced into small ringlets (optional)
1/2 red pepper, cut into strips (optional)
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper

Method:
1. Steam the broccoli or blanch it in boiling water until it is bright green and just tender. Drain well and set aside.
2. Heat the butter in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, until softened but not brown. Add the wine and cook for 1 minute until reduced to 1 tablespoon. Add the cream. Increase the heat to moderately high and bring to boil. Boil for 2-3 mins, until the cream thickens and is reduced by about a third.
3. Put the broccoli in a large bowl. Add the sauce, scallions, red pepper and parmesan cheese and toss together. Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve.

ENJOY!!!
biggrin.gif

Carol

weddinggirl

Hi Carol:
Thanks for the receipe for the Kueh Bangkit, so thoughful of you...
Sure, will be waiting for the rest of the recipes.

weddinggirl

carol

Hi Gals:
Here's another mouth watering desserts to try out.
Mashed Taro with Ginkgo (Bai Guo Yu Ni)

3158.jpg

Ingredients:
Taro 600g
Ginkgo 80g
sugar 220g
Spring onion 4 sections
vegetable oil 3 tbsp

Method:
1. Boil Ginkgo with shell in water for 10mins, remove shell & membrance.
2. Halve & remove central stalks, parboil in hot water.
3. Drain out water & sesaoned with 1tbsp sugar. Peel & wash taro, cut into thick pieces.
4. Steam taro untill fully cooked, still cool, cut into dices.
5. Add 1 cup of water, mash it into smooth gruel.
6. Heat wok & add in vegetable oil, fry spring onion, then remove it.
7. pour into ginkgo & cook in low heat for a while, add mashed taro & sugar, stir fry in low heat for 10mins, serve hot.

ENJOY
rofl.gif

Carol

nature

Wow carol!
u r a perfect wife! your hubby soooo lucky. You can cook, can sew n stitch, can DIY flowers, can do handicraft...just wondering, what else u can't do??

I think u r the best person to advise me on the ?s on my head...
Since we r moving into our 3rm flat tt we only will stay for 3+ yrs, I do not want to invest on a fully equiped kitchen.
Do u think it's sufficient to have only:
a microwave with convect oven function,
a electric thermo flask,
a rice cooker?

Do u think i can use the rice cooker to cook soup?

What do u think is the most useful n "must have" equipment / appliances in the kitchen?

sigh... I sort of volunteer to be responsible for the kitchen...

Thanks for ur help...

regards,
nat.

flyn

Hi carol,

May I have all the recipes (romantic,38pages,etc) you have shared here in SB? You may email me at [email protected]. Thks!!
happy.gif
I'd like to try out all the recipes listed here, especially the one u juz shared...Mashed Taro with Ginkgo (Bai Guo Yu Ni) Yum...Yum... Kisses to u for ur kind effort to share with us!!!
kiss.gif

J

jeseric

Hi Carol,

May I have all the receipes too! Pls... sounds so yummy! Me also want to be a good wife! Cook yummy food for hubby.

My email : [email protected]

Thanks a million!

bubble

Hi Nature,

Why dun you consider the 3 tier cooking pot (S$168) featured in Tangs Marketplace? It can boil soup, steam rice, fry veg and even bake kuehs all at one go. It is useful for small families.

Alternatively, you can go for smaller litre rice cooker (less than 1.5 litre, can serve at least 4 pax) and probably a tefal frying pan (instead of a wok, saves space and easier to clean). Do remember to buy those pan with depth, otherwise yr veg will get spill onto yr stove.

carol

Hi Nature:
Thanks for your compliments...
blush.gif

In fact I pick up those learning skills from my grandmother & my mum. They are the real cooks.

Hmmmm.... I think it's good to have a mircowave with convert oven function. It's useful for heating up food & could do some baking as well. Easy to use.
A electric thermo flask is also essential for boiling hot water around the house.
A rice cooker, a must, not only could cook rice but heat up food, steaming too.

I think the "must have" appliances will be a frying pan(deep one, with glass cover) you could use it to fry food, stir-fry, cook soup, & since it comes with a glass cover, you don't need to open the cover every now & then to check on your food & avoid spilling onto the stove.
Another "must have" is a electric hot pot, you could use that to stir-fry, cook soup, heating up food, steam boat. It cheap & useful.
I usually keep the soup inside & keep warm, till my hubby comes back, so he can enjoy hot soup.

I hope the above is useful to you.

Regards:
Carol
smile.gif

carol

Hi gals:
I'll try to email the recipes to all of you as soon as possible, I really have many recipes, maybe you could specific which catagory that you would like to have.
Mandy, I'm staying in the noth side too, could drop by to cook together...
lol.gif

Hi Joker:
Conduct a class, need to pay fee hor...
Just joking har,
biggrin.gif

Here's another sweet delight.
Red Bean Pudding (Hong Dao Gao)

3195.jpg

Ingredients:
water chestnut flour 60g
Corn flour 80g
Evaporated milk 100ml
coconut milk 200ml
Granulated sugar 15tsp
boiled hot water 1litre
cooked red bean 40g

Method
1. Dissolve sugar by hot water, mix water chestnut flour, corn flour into plain square container.
2. Add in evaporated milk & coconut milk, then mix them well.
3. Pour in the boiling sugar water, stir well until form paste. add in cooked red bean, stir again until red bean is well mixed.
4. Chilled by refrigerator while paste is cooled down.
5. Cut into small square pieces & serve cold.

(you could make sweet corn/green bean/sago flavour too)

ENJOY

Carol
3196.gif

carol

Hi Weddinggirl:
Ops... I almost forgot about your "Nian Gao"
Here's the recipe:

Nian Gao
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 1/2 cups glutinous flour
2tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Banana leaves

Method:
1. Heat the brown sugar & vegetable oil together; stir constantly, until sugar melts. Cool sightly.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt.
32. Stir cooled brown sugar mixture into flour. Pour mixture into baking tins covered with banana leaves. Cool completely, then place into a steamer. Cover & steam for 50-60mins or till cooked.
talker.gif

Carol
3198.gif

nature

Thanks bubble n carol.
happy.gif

I'll go down to CK Tang tis weekend.
Carol, what's the electric hot pot u referring to? is it something like those in seoul garden?
I do not intend to use gas stove. What do u think of those multi function cooker - can fry, can grill, can steam (e.g. Tefal $195), I saw one tt can even deep fry, cook rice, cook soup. But tis one is from a "ulu" brand... and is less than $100... so I've doubt on the all-in-one capability.

btw...I wonder if this topic is irrevelant n boring here...
talker.gif
please bear with me ... thanks...

joker

Hi Carol,
Hey I don mind paying for fees leh if you are conducting class. I stay in Sengkang now, Hougang in future. So also very near to you leh. I used to stay AMK too. So no excuse liao hor....
proud.gif

Mandy, we can jio jio, learn together.

Joker

carol

Hi Joker:
I can share my experience/skills with you. Don't say learn lar, make me sound like a Teacher. No fee, but just treat me to a drink if we are having a meeting. Carol love fruit juice

Mandy, you are interested too har... Hehehe...

Carol
lol.gif

weddinggirl

Hi Carol:
Thanks, thanks, Thanks. So sweet for you to post the recipe here.
Really lucky to have a cooking expert like you here.

carol

Hi Nature:
Don't worry, this topic is revelant here.
Electric pot, hmmm, how should shall I descible it. it's electrical pot/pan. It's something like the one at seoul garden, but it's elctrical opearated. Multi function cooker, yah you can get that, it's use to use.

Carol

joker

Dear Carol,
Thk you beri much hor......
proud.gif
. So you let us know when you can hor. We will prepare lots of fruits to squeeze into juice for you leh. Mandy hor.....?
wink.gif

Joker

twinky

Hi Carol,

Just curious, r u working full time also??? how u find the time to do all these cooking n craft stuff?? I also wish I could be like you, i can cook but not very well, your 'Hong Dou Gao' looks soooooo delicious. really so easy to make meh??? will the paste get lumpy when u pour the boiling sugar water???

BTW i also like x-stich, just no time to do it often now. and i live in AMK too, so if u ever have the intention to organise a teaching session in ur home, remember to post it leh....

can i have the recipes too??? can send to [email protected]
happy.gif
thanks

After work wanna go home and cook also xian, been staying together liao for a yr and hardly ever cook at home. Now only just bought a slow cooker, thinking of cooking soup n rice for dinner, less to wash up and won't mess up the kitchen. Do u have any nice recipes to share?? <sigh> bought the slow coker for 2 weeks liao and still have 'kai zhang'.....
lame.gif

carol

Hi Joker:
Thanks hor... Sure be waiting lor.
Mandy leh???

Hey, how about chating in this thread har, since Mandy is here too...
Got so much more to catch up with you gals leh.
kiss.gif

joker

Hi Carol,
Okie okie, we will chat here.

Where you staying in AMK leh? Me staying in Ave 10 Blk 471 last time. Still missing that place very much. Every Sunday, my FH and I will drive my mom back to that mkt for mkting becos my mom can only get use to that mkt.

That Mandy don go where... MANDY wehere are you????

Joker

Z

zincxgal

hi pple,
just wanna share with u abt this Periplus mini cookbooks....they are quite wonderful &amp; handy as its small &amp; relatively easy....some even hav step-by-step instructions with pictures....=)

even a cook idiot like me understand it quite well...hehe...
yah, they are quite cheap too (ard $4-$5 each copy) &amp; are available @ most bookstores &amp; NTUC supermarkets....

hehe...btw, i dun rec'd any commission from them....=p

alic

Hi Carol,

DO u have recipes for local chinese kuehs such as Yam ckae and soon kueh? sorry to trouble u...

Thanks
Regards, Alic
happy.gif

nature

Carol,

Thanks for ur advice. I think I'll get the multi cooker. Tefal carries a few models on this, other brands only one or two model. It's hard to choose leh...

I've bought a microwave with grill n convect fn, according to the promoter, this machine can do most of the cooking, including cooking soup, porridge.

Me wondering how's the electricity comsumption... how can I check/calculate how much elect. an appliance consume? Anyone can advice me???

Thank u....

carol

Hi Twinky:
Yah, I'm working full time, but since cooking is one of my favourite, I've always find time to cook.
will tends to cook the fast &amp; easy ones during the weekdays &amp; some difficult ones ovber the weekends.
As for cross-stitch &amp; other handicrafts, I usually did it in the evening, after dinner, a nice cup of fruit juice beside it will be the best.

Hey, you have brought a slow cooker, that's very good for cooking soup, could keep warm &amp; drink it in the late evening.

Ok, share a soup recipe with you, good when using slow cooker.

Herbal Chicken Soup

Ingredients:
1kg black chicken, shin &amp; fats removed
500ml hot water
salt
(Chinese herb)
8 Dang gui
6 Pak Kai
6 Tangshen
6 Yoke chok
6 red dates
2-3tsp kei chi

Method:
1. Place chicken, hot water &amp; chinese herbs into the slow cooker, set power level at Auto cook or High level, cook untill chicken turn soft. Add salt to taste.

Will share more recipes with you...

Carol
rofl.gif

carol

Hi Joker:
Me staying at Ave 10 too, Blk 437.
I always acccompany my mum to the market at Blk 409 too , learn how to choose fresh fish &amp; vegatables.

Hi Mandy seems not posting in this thread leh....
???

Carol

carol

Hi Alic:
Sure, I have many recipes for local kueh &amp; desserts.
Shall check out my recipes folders fist, can't remember the correct quantity for all the recipes.
crazy.gif

Hi Nature:
I think Tefal is a good one, I've got one &amp; it's very useful..
I'm not too sure of the how pple calculate the electric consumation, usually these small cooking appliance doesn't really consume a lot of energy.

Carol

carol

alic

Hi Carol,

My email address is [email protected]

Carol... U make my day...
happy.gif
happy.gif

Alic

PS. Can send me the URL of yr ROm photos,too? Hopefully, I don't sound too greedy...heheh :p

Looking forward ...

flyn

Hi carol,

Can I have all the recipes (romantic,38pages,etc) you used to share here in SB? Still waiting leh... heheheh... Pls email me at [email protected] Any category of recipes are welcome. In fact, i have also copy some of the recipes posted here. I can't specify which category i want coz too many from archives to remember lah!! Thks a lot!!!

Cheers
smile.gif

twinky

Hi Carol,

Thanks!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
Will try it next week...

wow, u are really a wonder woman leh.....usually i feel v tired after night class...maybe i need some tonic to boost me up...hee hee

joker

Hi Carol,
Me go Blk 409 mkt every Sun too. But I never join my mom in the mkt. I only have BF there and will go jalan jalan at the shops there. Now every Sun, that mkt very crowded and fun. A lots of things to see.

MAybe we ever met but din know. Or rather maybe my mom and yr mom ever fight for chicken in the mkt..
lame.gif

carol

Hi Alic &amp; herworld
Sure will email to you, but pleae be patient, as some of my recipes doesn't comes with a soft copy, so I need some time to keep them in my PC, and I really have many, many recipes, maybe a few thousands.
I'll try to share most of them.

Hi Joker:
Most of the times, my mum brought her fresh food from the nearer market, which is Blk 453 market. She will only visit 409 market, maybe once every 2 weeks. Ever fight for chicken.... hahaha....
uhoh.gif

Carol

carol

Hi Mandy, joker:
Something to bake for this Valentine's day.
Valentine Sugar Cookies, I thought of making some &amp; place them in glass bottle, than tie it with beautiful organza ribbon &amp; a tag with a romantic message for my hubby.
What do you think of this idea????

3275.jpg

Carol
biggrin.gif

mandy

Hi Carol,

WOW!!! the pics look great!!! i think it a great idea. i m sure your hubby will be touched. i still wonder wat to give him. esp when i hv no oven, cannot bake him anything. any idea?

cheers

mandy