Cooking Recipes as promised

peg76

hi gals
I am new to this thread. Hope u all will enjoy the mooncake class. I went to PH's mooncake class with my hubby last yr and we certainly enjoyed it.

keruri

hi Peg76,
welcome to this thread!!
happy.gif

we'll be going this sat and we are just as excited. will update everyone here on how's the class like next week.

blush

good afternoon gals!

anyone has a recipe for a simple western soup? (besides using campbells)
happy.gif
i was thinking of french onion soup or something.

i am having some friends come over this weekend, and need some ideas for food. i am planning to do something like a shepard's pie...but no idea what else to do thats simple and nice.

mint

Hi Winnie,
Yes, I still have your mobile number. Will call you once I reach. Cheers!

Sandy,
Hehe! Ya, we've chatted on so many threads so now can see each other's face. But I think we've seen each other's photos before. see you on Sat.
happy.gif

peg76

gals,
you can actually bring along those salted egg yolks (must be cooked) to the mooncake class if you want your mooncakes to be dan huang or suan huang.

keruri

Hi Blush,

U can try this French Onion Soup (Serves 4).

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
6 medium onions, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, picked and chopped or poultry seasoning
1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
1/2 cup dry sherry
6 cups beef stock
4 thick slices crusty bread, toasted

Method
1.Heat a deep pot over medium to medium high heat.
2.Add oil and butter to the pot.
3.Add sliced onions to the pot. When all the onions are in the pot, season with salt and pepper and 1 teaspoon fresh thyme.
4.Cook onions 15 to 18 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender, sweet and caramel colored.
5.Add bay leaf and sherry to the pot and deglaze the pan drippings.
6.Add 6 cups stock and cover pot to bring soup up to a quick boil.

Serve with toasted thick crusty bread.

You can find more french onion recipes and its variants from http://www.foodnetwork.com. This site was recommended by our Cooking Recipe thread regular corodory.
happy.gif

keruri

hi ladies,

mint, winnie, sandy & shirleybride, rem our mooncake date this sat..

Date/Time: <font color="ff0000">Sep 4 (Sat) / 110pm</font>
Venue: <font color="ff0000">Aljunied Control Stn</font>

Things to bring:
1) permanent or smudge proof markers to take down notes,
2) salted eggs if you wan to make salted egg mooncakes,
3) money ($32) to register for the class.

we'll contact each other via hp if we can't find each other.

see ya!!

ylyl

I always put in the sago when the green bean soup is almost ready. about 5 to 10 mins before I switch off the power. Have to soak the sago for a while before adding them to the soup.

lafleur

hi hi i m new here. i love to cook! i would love to learn those kueh like soon kueh and that red kidney shape kueh. i know that it is hard but can still learn. anyone got recipe or even know of classes?

blush

hi ladies
enjoy your class tomorrow! btw, can someone help me to ask, if i don't want to buy ready made filling for the mooncake, and i wanted to make it myself...how difficult is it?

folic

Hi Lafleur,

I found this recipe:

Pastry skin

100g tapioca flour

200g wheat starch

50g glutinous rice flour

1/2 tsp salt

450ml hot boiling water

6 tbsp oil

Filling

500g yam bean (bangkwang), skin removed and shredded

1 small carrot, shredded

1/4 cup water

1½ tbsp oil

1 tbsp chopped shallots

1/2 tsp chopped garlic

25g dried prawns, chopped

Seasoning

1 tbsp oyster sauce

1 tbsp light soy sauce

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp sesame oil
Method
Heat oil in a wok and fry shallots and garlic until lightly browned. Add dried prawns and stir-fry for 40–50 seconds until fragrant.

Add shredded carrots, yam bean and seasoning and stir-fry for 4–5 minutes. Add water and continue to fry until the gravy turns thick. Dish out and set aside to cool.

For the pastry skin, put tapioca flour, wheat starch, glutinous rice flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Add boiling water gradually and stir with a long wooden spoon. Add in the oil and knead into a smooth dough.

Remove dough out on to a lightly floured tabletop and roll into a long sausage roll. Cut into about 30–35 equal pieces then flatten each piece of dough with the use of a rolling pin. Roll out to form a thin round piece of about 7–8 cm in diameter.

Put a tablespoon of filling in the centre of the pastry skin, gather up the edges and pinch to enclose the filling.

Arrange the dumplings on a lightly greased steaming tray. Steam for 7–8 minutes.

Brush hot dumplings with a little oil before taking them out.

For the pastry, there is also an alternative recipe:

Crystal dough:

180g wheat starch flour (tang meen fun)

90g tapioca flour

375ml boiling hot water

1/2 tsp salt

1 tbsp shortening or corn oil

I think the second one is a bit transparent type.

folic

keruri

hi ladies,

<font color="119911">mint,</font> u're welcome.
happy.gif

<font color="ff0000">Blush,</font> will help u ask tomorrow.
happy.gif

<font color="0000ff">Lafleur,</font> is the red kidney shape kueh that u r talking abt ang ku kueh or png kueh? the ang ku kueh is the one with a sweet filling, usu peanut or bean paste. the png kueh is the pinkish one with glutinous rice filling inside.

lafleur

folic, thanks! doesn't look easy but i can try it out first! if i succeed, my husband will be so proud of me. i have never made any local dish before.

keruri, yeah that's right, the pink one with the rice, i never know the name for it, always point and point!
happy.gif

folic

Hi Lafleur, no I have not tried the recipes before but I helped my mum make before, using her recipe. But her recipe is the 'aga-aga' type, so I found you another one
happy.gif

I tried making the ang koo kuih before though.
happy.gif
it was quite good! hahaha

folic

ylyl

Hi Wan

I only soak in cold water. I also don't know what need to soak as this was told by my in-laws to do so when I cook the soup with sago for the first time. I think it's to clean the sago in case of dust. If soak with hot water it'll be cooked.

blush

lafleur
let me know how it turns out? i also feel like trying, but don't have time these few weekends. i feel hungry just from reading the recipe. but my FH always says that i waste an entire day doing these things when can easily buy cheaply outside...

keruri

hi gals!

Welcome Low.

Peg76, our mooncake making class was a knocking fun time literally. the whole class was knocking moulds against the metal table to get the mooncake out. it was really loud. the class was pretty fast-paced too, we were the last to finish among the class. haha.. there's a group of ladies who brought their own lian rong paste and moulds.

keruri

Blush,
regarding the lian rong paste that you asked. PH said they used a special machine to get it to consistency. the lady there said that it's not easy to make the paste on our own cos it's difficult to achieve consistency. i guess the consistency that she was talking abt is the smoothness of the paste lah.

blush

keruri
thanks for asking. ok, i guess if i want to make, i shld just buy their ready-made version. how did your mooncakes turn out?
happy.gif
is their ready-made lian rong nice?

sandgirl72

<font color="ff0000">kelly, pamela, shirley and winnie</font>
it was really fun learning how to make the moon cake last Sat.. and it is great befriending new fren like pamela and shirley.

btw, have U taste the baked skin moon cakes yet? my snow skin ones all finished liao.. bal the baked skin.. ke ke ke
happy.gif

sandgirl72

<font color="ff0000">kelly</font>
i have asked the branch at Bencoolen St, and they do have the plastic mould for making the snow skin at $8+... I have asked the lady to reserve 3 pcs for me for our this Sun session.. ke ke ke..

do U need the plastic ones? i can get for U too..

keruri

<font color="ff0000">Blush,</font>
i haven't try the lian rong one cos the lian rong filling was used for the baked mooncakes and i can't eat em till tonite when i go home. we tried the green bean and red bean one already. the red bean one is a bit sweet. the green bean one tastes great!

mint

Hi sandy,
It's great meeting you too.
happy.gif
My snow skin mooncakes turn out quite ok. My hubby and aunt said that the skin a bit thick so I think I didn't roll it enough to make it flatter. Brought some snow skin ones to school today to let my colleagues try and they all said nice. Dun know whether if they were just being polite or not. keke!
lame.gif
I also haven't tried the baked ones yet. Tonight will let hubby QC first then if pass, will bring to school tomorrow to show off again. hahaha! This sunday, you making some more mooncakes ah? Wah, you very on leh!! hehe!

lafleur

hi gals, your mooncake class sounded fun, maybe i should take up a class as well. for now, buying would be ideal coz i am still learning how to make soon kueh.
happy.gif

blush, ok will update you, i agree with your fh too, paying $.70 and just eat it, all within a few mins as compared to what..a few hrs and making a mess in the kitchen?!!
happy.gif
oh well, i will try making it at least once and do my husband proud.

keruri

hi gals,
the much requested Tiramisu recipe:

Ingredients:
1 packet Sponge Lady Finger
1 cup double shots expresso
Coffee liquor (eg. Tia Maria, Kahlua, Amaretto, Jamaica Rum or Golden Rum)
Cocoa powder
250g Mascarpone cheese
50g Caster sugar
3 Egg yolk
3 Egg white
150ml/g Millac Cream
1 tbsp Gelatine powder (to be mixed with 3 tbsp hot water)

Method:
1. Mix egg yolks and mascarpone cheese together in a big bowl.
2. Whip up the millac cream to soft peak in another bowl. Mix into the cheese mixture in step 1.
3. Whip up egg white and sugar to soft peak and fold into step 2. Mix well.
4. Dissolve the gelatine and add into the above mixture. Stir well.
#Optional: You can add 2-3 tsps liquor to the above mixture at this stage to give it more flavor. I put about 2 tbsps cos i like it strong.

Set aside the above mixture in a cool place while you prepare the sponge fingers.

#Optional: You can add 2-3 tsps or more liquor to the coffee according to your taste.

5. Line the base of your cake tin with the sponge fingers. Leave some gaps in between. Brush the sponge fingers with coffee syrup. You can brush more if u like.
6. Pour half of the mixture you set aside earlier into the cake tin.
7. Put sponge fingers leaving some gaps in between on this layer just like how you line the base of the cake tin earlier. Brush with coffee syrup.
8. Pour in the remaining of the mixture and level it.
9. Put into the fridge for at least 4 hours or into the freezer for at least 2 hours to chill/set.
10. Dust the top with cocoa powder just before you serve.

mint

Hi gals,
How did your traditional mooncake turn out? My hubby said that it's quite nice.
happy.gif
I can't try cos having sore throat now. Sianz!! School hol only then fall sick. And when I scold pupils too much, my throat still alright.
My aunt came to my house again to whack my snow skin mooncake. hehe!

keruri

hi gals,

mint, i tried the traditional baked mooncake liao. v nice. the lian rong just nice, not too sweet. go eat it b4 it's finished. hee...

pooh_ger

kelly,
My hubby said the traditional baked mooncake taste like rock bun so hard &amp; my MIL find the fillings too sweet.........

Pamela,
u better take care &amp; drink more water!

sandgirl72

pamela
aiyo.. mut drink plenty of water and take starfruit juice with salt.. choose the starfruit that are not too ripe..

kelly
do U know how long can we keep the traditional baked moon cakes?

keruri

hi gals... good afternoon.

<font color="119911">winnie,</font>
long time no see you here. u rem we overturn the mooncakes to let the oil seap thru for the first 3 days? u need to turn it back and let it stand for another day or 2 b4 u eat. i guess we gotta keep the oil flow balanced lor. hehe...

<font color="ff0000">sandy,</font> i dunno leh. not more than 2 weeks?

<font color="aa00aa">peg76, </font> where is Kwang Siang Tai? in geylang right? u hv the exact address or the street name? thanks!

peg76

kelly
exact spelling of the name is Kwong Cheong Thye, address is 61/63 Geyland Road, Tel 67480128. It is just at the short building outside Aljunied MRT station. It is opened till 7.30pm in the evening now bec of the mooncake season. One word of advice, their stuff are pretty expensive and i only get the paste from them. Their moulds are better than PH but more more expensive...

shirleybride

hi gers
happy.gif

Been biz lately..however,me actively following the various postings.
happy.gif

really nice 2 befriend u gers, i missed the fun during the mooncake making session. so furni, i still self pic those mooncakes I made.
happy.gif

Yup,took my mooncakes 2dae.taste great,maybe coz its coz of the DIY process I been thru myself.
happy.gif

I gave some DIY cakes to mum and inlaw. They commmented: Nice nice. not too sweet and not too hard too.
Me feel tempted to try doing it @ home now leh... but sad, but dun hv all ur companions wif me.. snob snob.
sad.gif
sad.gif

so wat favour of mooncakes u gers intend to DIY @ home?

Hey Sandy and Winnie, U both brighten our learning session.
happy.gif
happy.gif

pooh_ger

Hi peg76,
Tks me called Kwcong Cheong Thye liao, but the run out of "hei dou sha" filing liao....yeah their things quite exp! They oso got red wine &amp; fruits flavour filing!

Kelly,
Me now c u all in MSN eveyday mah so now seldom "patronise" dis thread loh! haha but i stil come in here to chk for new posting everydae lah except dat i didn't post! cos busy dealing with dat "Idiot" matter!

mint

Hi sandy,
starfruit juice with salt will help ah? ok, will go and try. I yesterday on mc... cough until like want to die!!

keruri,
although my throat bad, my hubby let me try a bit of the mooncake I made... but after that he made me drink 2 glasses of water. It's quite nice and not too sweet. My mum and mil also tried it and they liked it. hehe! My mooncake left 1 only. All others finish liao.

keruri

hi all,

winnie &amp; sandy,
how was your mooncake making session on sun?

i think i had too much mooncakes liao. i was down with sore throat and then runny nose since sat. today still recovering.
sad.gif
it's either that i got withdrawal syndrome from not seeing the 2 of you. hee...

winnie, rem u asked how long we can keep the mooncakes the last time? the baked ones can be kept longer 3 weeks to a month for those without eggs, abt 2 weeks if u hv those with eggs. and the snow skin one, better finish within 1 week cos the skin will turn hard and dry then not nice liao. of coz, all dates are w.r.t. the baked date.
happy.gif