Cooking Recipes as promised

keruri

Hi Winnie,
Good to hear fr u again.
happy.gif
High tea depends on the type. If we r just having tea, how abt Baker's Inn?

Ladies who r joining us for the gathering:
would u prefer international high tea or english high tea? or just tea at Baker's Inn?

rabbitlover

Hi keruri,
for sponge cake, i noe it is better to overturn (with the cake tin) it immediately when it is out of oven, if not i think it will shrink. as for it compressed in fridge, i not sure wat went wrong, mine was ok leh, it din compressed. however i noe in some cake shop, they spray the sponge cake with sugar syrup to make the cake more spongy n soft.. but i yet to try tat, bcos lazy to cook the sugar syrup
lame.gif
, have to wait till the sugar syrup is completely cool then can spray on the sponge cake, else it will turn moldy.

Hi Winnie,
don think will be joining u all for the gathering, i get tired very easy as i m now pregnant. u all go ahead n enjoy urselves.
happy.gif

brambles

hi winnie. thanks for the recipes! can't wait to try them out!
i've gotten 5 sets of recipes. is that all? if not, can i trouble u to email the rest to me? i've oredi cleared my mailbox. so hopefully shld be able to receive them
happy.gif

btw, the 5 sets of recipes that i hv are:
- Asian & Western Delight
- Cakes
- Chinese Cuisine
- Hawker Delight
- Nonya Kueh

hehe... sorry to ask again. is anyone able to tell me the steps for sushi making n wat brand of rice do u gals buy for the rice?
happy.gif

keruri

hi lyn,
congrats on your pregnancy!
happy.gif

i did overturn the cake in the tin immediately once the cake is out of the oven. but dunno why it still shrunk, it shrunk by 1/2 inch to be exact.
sad.gif
i think i'll try baking the sponge cake again and see. it was still spongey when it was out of the oven so i also dunno why it became compressed. i'm also lazy to try the sugar syrup thing. :p

keruri

hi brambles,
if i rem and spell correctly, i usu buy the brand Kokuho for the rice. The logo is red and yellow in color.

As for the steps,
1.Cook the rice as per normal. You shld not have more than required amt of water cos you need to add lots of sushi vinegar to it later. Eg. 1 cup of rice : 1.5 cups of water so u will not have more than 1.5 cups of water. 1 (rice cooker) cup of rice yields 3-4 rolls of sushi.
2. Leave the cooked rice to cool for few minutes.
3. Toss the partially cooled rice with a wooden or plastic spoon. Metal spoons will react with the vinegar so shld be avoided. Sprinkle sushi vinegar over the partially cooled rice and use the spoon to spread it. Make sure that every rice grain is coated with the vinegar.
4. Let the vinegar stay in the rice and leave it to cool at room temp.
5. Once cooled, you can use it to wrap your sushi.

Hope this helps.

pooh_ger

Hi everybody

Hi linlin
Welcome on board this forum, fyi i think u mail box is too full for my recipe cos it's a very very huge...I tried sending u but ut keep bouncing back to me...Pls check ur mail box & let me noe which are the ones dat u hav received...

Hi brambles,
I've send u the 1 dat u hav missed...Got it?

linlin

Hi Winnie,
Oops, forgot to tell u the titles of the recipes I received. They are:
-Asian & Western Delight
-Cakes
-Chinese Cuisine
-Hawker Delight
-Nonya Kueh

Sorry to trouble u...
happy.gif

mindy

hi ladies
i wanna know how to fry vegetable like dou miao or chye sim
happy.gif

i m totally loss when comes to cooking

wat other ingrediant can we throw when we fry vege?
thks

brambles

keruri... me probably making tuna maki
happy.gif

winnie... got the missing recipe. thanks!!! so excited. will find a day to try them out
happy.gif

pooh_ger

Hi ladies,
For those who have requested for recipe pls make sure ur mail box if empty as the recipe files are very very huge.....

pooh_ger

Hi Mindy,
For frying Dou Miao:- Just add garlic,prawns & oyster sauce.

For Cai xin:- Can either stir fry with garlic & oyster sauce or add meat & prawns.

keruri

To those who rsvp to our gathering:
As our upcoming hi-tea gathering on June 19 falls on the Father's Day weekend, we are postponing it to July 10 (Sat). Sorry for the inconvenience.

So to everyone else in this forum, u r most welcome to join us if u r FREE on July 10!!!!

In the meantime, we r taking in suggestions for high-tea venues. Please flood us with good high-tea venues.
happy.gif
International or English high tea, etc.

We'll post/email the details again closer to date.

See ya.
wink.gif

pooh_ger

Hi Starfruit,
Here is the recipe for "Loh Mai Kai" but this is a Tim sum version type....

Loh Mai Kai
Ingredients:
· 8 pieces of foil 30cm square or 8 dried lotus leave, softened in water overnight
· sesame oil
· 1 tsp salt
· 1 tsp dark soya sauce
· 1 tsp light soya sauce
· dash of pepper
· ½ tsp MSG or 1 tsp sugar
· 4 tbsp oil
· 175g cooked chicken meat, cubed
· 175g Char Siew, cubed
· 6 Chinese mushrooms, soaked until soft & caps quartered
· 1 Chinese sausage, Sliced Diagonally
· 25g dried prawns, Soaked until soft
· 250g glutinous rice, washed steamed till cooked & grains loosened

Method:
Prepare the foil pieces or lotus leave by brushing with sesame oil on 1 side. Mix together the salt, soya sauces, pepper & MSG or sugar. Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat, & add the soya mixture. Add all the ingredients except the rice & stir-fry for 2 –3mins. Add the rice & stir-fry till it is evenly coloured. Divide into 8 portions & wrap in foil pieces or lotus leaves. Steam packets for 30mins over high heat & serve hot with chilli sauce.

* This version is the tim sum version “Loh Mai Kai” or known as “He Ye Fan”

keruri

wah... so sweet of you, Winnie!
happy.gif

hmm... Dragon Boat festival coming soon, anybody wrapping their own dumplings? is it difficult?

pooh_ger

hi kelly,
seems like this forum is not active again...haiz..
maybe everyone is busy.... I'll be wrapping my own dumpling..fyi for our gathering on 10jul Pamela has RSVP wif us oredi...

Hi shirsweetiepie, starfruit & chatterbox
R u all able to make for our gathering on 10 jul?

folic

Hi Starfruit,

here is an alternative recipe for lor mai kai:
Ingredients

200g boneless chicken, cut into strips

100g lean pork, cut into strips

3 black mushrooms, soaked and halved

1 Chinese sausage (optional), sliced

4 shallots, sliced

3 tbsp oil

300g glutinous rice, soaked overnight and drained well

Marinade (A):

1 tbsp oyster sauce

1 tsp light soya sauce

1 tsp ginger juice

1/2 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp dark soya sauce

1 tsp sesame oil

1 tsp Shao Hsing Hua Tiew wine

1/2 tsp corn flour

Seasoning (B):

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp oyster sauce

1 tsp light soya sauce

1 tsp Chinese wine
Method
Marinate chicken and meat with (A) for at least an hour. Steam glutinous rice for 45 minutes. Remove from the steamer and add in seasoning (B), then mix well.

Heat oil in a wok, lightly brown the shallots; add the mushrooms and stir fry well for one minute.

Lightly grease five to six small rice bowls. Arrange chicken meat, lean meat, mushroom and sausage at the bottom of the bowl. Top with steamed glutinous rice — press down firmly to about three-quarters full and sprinkle some water over the rice. Steam over boiling water for 30 to 40 minutes.

Turn out steamed rice onto a small plate and serve with chilli sauce.

I have tried this recipe and it tastes great. You can buy those foil cup at phoon huat- the type that people buy to make tarts or chicken pies to use for the mai kai. The recipe makes about 20 mai kai.

folic

angph38

<font color="aa00aa">winnie,</font>
i got the following.

-Asian_Western Delight
-Cakes
-ChineseCuisine
-HawkerDelight
-NonyaSpecialities

keruri

hi winnie,
everyone must be busy wrapping their own dumplings that's why not so many pple in this forum these days. :p either that, or they r too concussed after chasing Euro2004 every nite. haha... my colleague just told me the steps on how to make rice dumplings cos i didn't manage to place my order with Hoo Kee in time.
sad.gif
wah.. so much work ah. r u doing it on ur own? or with help?

talk abt dumplings, does anyone have recipes that makes dumplings like Hoo Kee's? their dumplings are fresh, juicy and yummy. :p~ i'm just trying my luck here. hee..

keruri

hi folic,
u r back!
happy.gif
just went thru ur recipe for lor mai kai. where can i get ginger juice used in marinade A? do i grate the ginger to get the juice? or is this available in supermarkets/provision shops? thanks!

folic

Hi keruri,

I usually surf the forum daily, just that sometimes I did not come in to this thread
happy.gif

For ginger juice, I basically grind some ginger (about 2cm, enough to have about 1 tbsp ginger 'pulp')in the processor and throw in to marinate the chicken. That way like more flavour. If you don't want the 'pulp' you can squeeze the juice after grating the ginger.

folic

lilacz

Hi,

Does anyone have recipes for those "stir fried" spaghetti?I duno if its exactly stir fried, but its the dry type, without the heavy sauce.

And may i have some recipes for steamed toufu?Hoping to whip up a more healthy meal.Thanks alot!

keruri

Thanks, folic! come here more often la, then we won't miss your cooking tips. hee... winnie loves company here. hee..

folic

Hi Lilacz,

My sister did this pasta dish, which you might like to try.

Ingredients:
Spaghatties (or Linguini)
Vongole
Ham
Minced garlic (use about 1-2 cloves per person)
Chilli (sliced)
Olive oil

Steps:

1. Cook the pasta per normal (but not too soft). Drain and keep aside
2. Heat wok and put in olive oil
3. Throw in the minced garlic and fry till golden and fragrant (I like garlic, so I usually put a lot). Add in chilli
4. Add the ham and fry lightly and add Vongole and fry till the clams open.
5. The Vongole should have some juice while cooking but if you feel that it is a bit dry, add a little water.
6 Add some salt to taste (but the vongole is also a little salty by nature).
7. Add in the pasta and stir fry
happy.gif

8. Dish is cooked when the pasta absorb the juice of the clams.

Enjoy!

Keruri, yah.. will try to come in here more often :D

folic

pooh_ger

Kelly,
Ya ya u r rite i love company.....

Angelia,
u r short of 1 more, I'll email it 2 u tml okie...

Cutie pig,
Will email it 2 u tml....

lilacz

Hi keruri and folic,

Thanks for the recipes!Im going to try to combine both the recipe for added taste i hope!Bought parsley and mussels in garlic sauce.
happy.gif
By the way, is there any diff using fresh parsley and parsley flakes?

mint

Hi winnie,
I think I'm also short of 1 set. I have: asia, cakes, chinese, hawker and nonya. Sorry to trouble u.
happy.gif

pooh_ger

mint,
wat nonya recipe is dat? cos i've send 2 folders on nonya recipe so is dat the kueh or specialities u received?

angelia,
i tried sending u the missed out recipe but seems like its bouncing back to me. Pls chk or clear ur mail box...

keruri

hi lilacz,
i always use parsley flakes cos if i buy 1 bottle, i can keep for next time, and also it's more convenient. hee.. taste-wise, i'm not mindful of the diff. :p sorry.

keruri

hi winnie &amp; friends,
i'm back after 1 day of MC at home. i'm down with a bad cold.
sad.gif

winnie, i didn't know u categorise ur recipes into Asian-Western, Cakes, etc. hee... the first batch that u sent us are all SB Recipes1, Recipes &amp; More Recipes.
wink.gif
haha... u r getting more pro eh!

lilacz

Hey Keruri and Folic,

I have tried cooking the pasta, and my hubby loves it!Thanks again for the recipe.

Another qns here, may i know how to cook glutinous rice?Do we add water and steam it as per what we will do for white rice?