Cats Lovers??

3cats

Hi Grace

I wouldn't condemn the premium brand I was feeding as my other cats are doing well on it. It is just that the problematic one has a hormonal imbalance and the brand called "Back to B*****" seems to smoothen out her hormonal cycle. It is supposedly a super premium range but only slightly more expensive kg for kg. Not all pet shops sell this brand.

I seldom feed them wet food. They are on dry food most of the time. I think maybe that helps too. And daily grooming. And lots of daily play run jump until they are dead tired. Gives them that lean muscular sinewy look I admire in all cats.
happy.gif

Actually to dispel your notion that the strays look much better, I think not entirely true lah. Their coat is definitely not as lustruous as my babies at home and I think their coat help us determine their overall general health.

My smallest baby also has dandruff and it was due to fur mites. Nothing serious. And maybe she also has sensitive skin.

Aiyoh, I think I spend more on their food, litter and shampoo than I spend on myself. I want to be a pet cat in my next life. Eat, sleep, play, eat again, sleep again, go litter box, cuddle time, sleep again. Wah...good life, isn't it??
happy.gif

fat_clumsy_cat

Hi 3cats,

I also want to know what brand is Back to B~, because one of my cats also got hormone problem. Or can you tell me where can I find it how it look like so that I can look for it?

curly

Now I know who is the culprit who's shitting everywhere! The stray siamese - Bobbie! Got home last Friday night and saw a patch on my door mat.... He was sitting outside my flat that morning when I left.

Checked with the town council. They said they will not take action as long as no one complains....

3cats

Back to Basics is the brand (no intention to advertise but just sharing info). It worked for my problem child. Made her calmer and her bald patches are no longer recurring. But she likes it so much and eats so much that she is quite tubby now. Trying my best to get her lazy bum off the ground every day.
sad.gif

Not sure if it will help your cat. Try it but mix it first with its regular food to prevent diarrhea. Then you can slowly increase the proportion. If anything feels funny, go to the vet immediately ok?

The link to their manufacturer as follows: http://www.beowoof.com/batobacatfo.html
http://www.beowulfs.com/natural_cat_food.shtml

Not sold in many pet shops but I think Pet Lovers has it. Hope this helps.

septembre

Ohh Curly. So that means someone complains lar. Just curious, you live on the lower floors? I live quite high, so never seen cats or dogs poopoo near corridors before. I wonder if my neighbourhood cat n dogs does tt too. How come pple always complain about cats and not dogs.

fat_clumsy_cat

Hi 3Cats,
Thank you for sharing. I will try to buy a small packet for Brownie to try first and mix it with their emas. Mui Mui is also eating from the same bowl with Brownie. I think there should be no problem.

curly

Hi gingerale, I stay on the 3rd floor..... Sometimes this Bobbie will try to follow me home and I have to go a big round to avoid him. The sight of him makes my hair stand!

septembre

Ohh serious. I once follow ginger to3rd floor too and saw her tossing a dead rat around.;D I wonder she poopoo there too anot. Hey U know ginger know how to come to my house and i live on 13th floor! The lift stops at 12th flr and she still knows how to go one flr up. haha. So amazing. But so far she hasnt do any funny business at my house yet.
How come Bobbie make ur hair stands?

curly

Wow, ginger so clever!

We are no cat hater but we really dislike Bobbie. He had attacked us many times, scratched, bitten.... And we didn't even do anything to him. The neighbour next blk also commented that he loves to pick fights with the strays.

lollipop

Hi Gingerale,

There was a time when I was staying in my old house, this stray cat would keep appearing outside our doorstep, then, we stayed on the 14th floor.. Initially we found it really amusing, and we really wondered how she managed to come up. She couldn't have possibly taken the lift on her own, and it was no mean feat climbing 14 storeys! Anyways, this stray cat, which we christened Moo Moo, kept appearing, and she was always mewing. Nanook grew aggressive once, hearing the mewing. We brought Moo Moo further to the next blk, but the next day she would appear again. Weird. Much as my dad denied it, we secretly felt it was him who brought her up.

Cats...

This morning, Nanook managed to get his collar off! The Elizabethan collar! Attacked both my husband and myself when we tried to hold him still and put it back on.. he must have felt really grouchy afterwards.

septembre

Haha Lollipop it is so amusing to watch when they are grouchy. So cute. Everytime I bathe Butter, she will get grouchy too. We actually captured it in pictures accidently and realized how much she hated the bath! Got time i post her grouchy agter bathe time face here. Poor dear.

U think your dad brought Moo Moo up huh. I think the neighbours living at my blk allow ginger to take the lift with them. But she only comes at night to beg for food. Maybe cos i always feed her at night. Sometimes she will come earlier if she super hungry I think. ;D

Curly Bobbie so fierce! I would be afraid of him too. We have a black sinister looking cat here too. Ginger will always be on her guard when she sees him. And he always steal ginger's food.

lollipop

Yeah Gingerale, Nanook looks grouchy most of the times. Times when my mum bathes him. He doesn't struggle, I guess he doesn't mind the water, but hates the idea of licking himself dry cos he's such a big cat. And when he's so comfortable sleeping in areas which he shouldn't and when we bring him out, he's one very grouchy cat!

maya

maybe cats know how to take lifts? I stay in S'goon N where there's a lot of strays which I think are fed by kind peopple so some are quite tame. Yesterday, got into my lift and had a great shock bec lying there ever so calmly was this giant tom (I think he's a tom bec so big and look very macho
happy.gif
). WHat's funny is that a few of us got into the lift too, abt 4 adults and this is those older lifts so it's quite small and we all kinda squeeze around to avoid stepping on the cat who never so much as bat an eyelid, get up, look nervous or bolted out!! I mean imagine 4 adults squashed together and one cat calmly lying down there. We adults were kinda staring at the cat in amusement bec he's so calm! I used my feet to stroke him and he just calmly allowed me to, seeming to emjoy it too!! very funny!!

fat_clumsy_cat

My hubby HDB lift land on every floor. we also got a cat who always ended up at 11 floor and wait at the door for my mil to give her food. Dun tell me that they stay inside the lift until somebody landed in the correct floor!

3cats

Hi Grace and fat clumsy cat,

How are your cats faring? Did you manage to buy the Back to Basics and did it help their condition?

fat_clumsy_cat

Hi 3cats,
went to simei, I thought there everything also got. still cannot find. Got go to several pet shop also, but have not give up yet. I think I got to change my name to fat_botak_cat.

gtow

hi 3cats,
Thanks for asking abt Bucky - I am gradually switching my cats back to IAMS and Fancy Feast because that's what they used to eat before Bucky started having bald patches. I know wet food is bad for their teeth but on the other hand it isn't healthy to have dry food lying around all the time.

They keep eating and eating when they are bored! So I fill them up a bit with 1 or 2 small cans of food which all 3 share and then leave out a small amount of dry food. Still, Bucky is very fat nowadays. He used to be a slim 4.2kg, now he's a balloon like 5.5 kg. Argh!!

curly

Hi girls

Anyone know how to tame a cat? I have a problem with Snowball - she's very hostile towards almost everyone. I have a part time maid (KK, with us for 5 yrs), who comes once a week. When she comes, we will leave for breakfast and marketing. Yesterday, when we came back, KK was hidding in the toilet (for at least 20 minutes) as Snowball was threatening her. We had to lock Snowball in another room. Snowball used to just hissed at her but now (according to her) she was almost ready to pounce at her....

3cats

Hi Grace and FCC (aka FBC)

my fat girl also has this problem of eating and eating non-stop, esp if she is bored. But I still leave the dry food out on a free feeding basis. Only thing is that I restrict them to the recommended amount per day. If my fat girl deprives my slim girls of food, then I just hope that the slim ones learn to eat once there is food in the dish. A bit hard hearted but no choice. What to do!!!

For the Back to Basics, maybe you can mail the wholesaler in Singapore to see which shop actually carries the product. Like that don't have to run around.

Btw, do you have any good recommendation for cat boarding? I am going overseas for 2 weeks and need to board them. If you have good experiences with them, appreciate if you can give me some info.

Thank you.

gtow

Hi 3Cats,
I have a friend who does pet sitting for people and I ask her to look after my bunch when I go overseas for holiday.

She charges me $30 per day for my 3 cats, this includes feeding, cleaning the litter box, collecting mail, airing out the house, playing with the cats and sometimes giving them a bath (if they need one).

I don't want to board them because it will stress them out. Cats are v sensitive to environment and they will not understand what you are doing. For me the expense is fine because at least I have peace of mind that my beloved kitties are happy and safe at home, and I can get updates of my cats thru SMS and email (even photos!).

gtow

Hi gals... anybody....help!!

Need some help or suggestions here!

Last yr i rescued Buffy, a stray kitty (very pretty tortoiseshell) and got her adopted at the world animal day. Unfortunately (long story) her first owner returned her after only a couple of months.

After CNY this year she was vaccinated and spayed. I found her a new owner, but now he is unable to keep her either because he is going on overseas posting and doesn't ant to pay long-term boarding fees for her.

I dun mind taking her in as i really feel bad about the trauma she's been thru, but she's a bit noisy and my hubby objects to having more than the 3 cats we already own inside our home. I need to find a serious owner who will be willing to make a long term committment (including paying for the cat's upkeep when they are away, vet bills for medical treatment, etc) plus be responsible for any other issues with the cat. A home that preferably has other *friendly* cats.

She seems very afraid of humans prob due to bad experience with first owner who had kids. She gets along well with other cats tho.

Let me know if you or anyone u know fits the bill. Buffy will be with me from 1st Oct... i will post photos of her then.

gtow

hey FCC,
Thanks so much!!! I will take pics of her when she comes. I don't seem to have any of her when she was a kitten, tho i remember posting it on the CWS site long time ago.Now she's a lot bigger and fatter. Heh

lollipop

Hi Curly!

So you read Clubpets huh? Saw a picture of Ginger in this month's issue. So kawaii!

I also sent the picture of Nanook yawning, and it appeared a few issues back.
happy.gif

curly

Hallo lollipop!!

Yap, I read Clubpets but I don't think I had bought all issues. I was quite surprised when I saw Ginger in it as I had totally forgotten about it.

Ginger should be one some time next week but not neutered yet! Brought him in last month for the surgery but the blood test result was not good. His 'BUN" (blood urea nitrogen) result showed that his body has stored too much protein, which might indicate kidney failure (other symptons include increased thirst and urinating). So there would be risk if he went ahead with the surgery. As Dr Su was not 100% sure at that time, she suggested that we wait for a month to do another blood test. I told her that Ginger loves chicken and eats mainly dry food, so she suggested that the chicken could have caused his high level of protein storage. And eating dry food makes him more thirsty and urinate more often. I really hope he is ok...... He's still such a baby to me.

How's Nanook?

lollipop

Hi Curly,

Ginger looks really cute in tt picture. I was so excited when my husband flipped to tt page, and I told him Ginger's ure cat. He's famous now.

Huh? You mean prior surgery there should be a blood test? I didn't know. When I sent Nanook to Dr James Tan (before tt incident) he didn't ask for any blood tests to be taken.

Hmm, too much protein... fish is rich in proteins too.. but dun worry, he'd be ok. Cats are strong.

Nanook? We have removed his collar last week(finally!) His bald patches are ok now. Including his tail! Now tt I think about it, he wore the collar for more than 5 months! He's been a good cat.. my mum was the one who suggested removing the collar cos he's already ok... of course he's happy. He keeps licking.
happy.gif

I've also switched brands of dry food. Feeding him the Nutro Choice Salmon biscuits and he likes them. It doesn't contain any by-products, and since he likes it, I think I'd continue to stick with it.. A little expensive though, but it's time I change his diet.

curly

Hi lollipop

I think he looked cute too. It's one of my favourite pic. I think we should send in more pics!

The blood test is an option. Maybe some vets think it's not necessary.

Looking at him, there seems nothing wrong. He's always running about, always full of energy. I had stopped feeding chicken. He's now on biscuits only as he doesn't like canned food.

Snowball and Snowy eat both canned food and biscuits. Snowy is still as skinny..... I seldom see her eat, so sometimes, I hand-feed her which she likes.

I used to feed them with Nutro biscuits but was told that Iams is better. They don't seem to like the fish flavour, so I always buy chicken flavour and lamb and rice flavour. For canned food, still Nutro as they don't like Iams..... I agree that Nutro and Iams are expensive but they deserve the best.

Glad that Nanook's patches are ok! Poor thing, gotta wear the collar for 5 months! Ginger also had a few bald patches on his back but I think the hair is growing back. I used Nuskin enhancer on his bald patches as advised by Dr Su.

lollipop

Curly,

I wanted to get Iams too, but was advised by the staff to get Nutro as Iams contains by-products. Frankly, I didn't understand what by-products were until she told me.

Ginger has a good habit. For not eating canned food, that is. Canned food is supposedly more salty, and cats which dun eat them have better fur.

Nanook is very picky. So I'm glad he eats Nutro. I bought him two kinds of treats, and he's very happy.
happy.gif

curly

By-products? What kind of by-products? I have no idea also..... I went to this pet store at Suntec and this guy told me cats like Nutro because it's salt content is higher.... And he recommended Iams.

Though Ginger doesn't eat canned food, he loves chicken. Whenever he smells chicken, he will meow like anything! I tried salmon once but they just nibbled....

What kind of treats did you buy for Nanook? My cats love this crab meat (brand is Catty Man, I think) but I seldom give them treats.

lollipop

Hi Curly,

Gosh! I didn't know Nutro is high in salt content! Just when his fur has started to grow. I think I will confirm this with a vet...

Chicken by-products consist of chicken beaks, chicken feet, chicken fur etc.. things which they can't sell to customers. These are later ground into powdery form and made into biscuits.. this was what the lady told me.

Treats.. one of them is a cuttlefish treat.. brand Oishi I think. (Delicious in Japanese) the other is a seafood drop. He likes them both
happy.gif

curly

lollipop, the Nutro I bought was Nutro Max Kitten/Cat, not too sure if same as Nutro Choice.... I will also check with Dr Su when I pass by.

curly

Hi lollipop

I went to the pet shop just now and compared the different brands they have. The guy recommended ANF to me. It's expensive! A 3kg bag costs almost $45! Apparently it's very good..... Anyway, he gave me 3 packs of sample. I will test it out tonigh. Will update you......

lollipop

I think I've heard of ANF, but yeah, you are right, the price is very steep. What's more you have three cats, I doubt the supply will even end a month. Anyways, the assistant recommended a new brand called erm, "gold something or something gold" But I was quite skeptical, so I bought Nutro. How come she never gave me samples leh? *snicker*

curly

Usually the 3kg last about 5 to 6 weeks (sharing with strays I feed). One of the assistants fed her dog with ANF and gave good feedback - her dog used to scratch but not any more.

This Pet Village is generous with their samples. I had taken quite a few from them....

curly

It's at Suntec City Mall, #B1-002. Near Lawry's Ribs, behind the escalator. I think they dont carry Nutro products for cats.....

coven

hi lollipop,
the gold something is it "Solid Gold"? its considered to be a premium brand with a premium price tag. the same brand for dogs is equally premium too. cant recall the contents exactly, but its 'holistic'... its not 'smelly' like most pellets are

curly

Hi lollipop

I just went there to place my order and they gave me more sample packs to tahan until they deliver to me. The previous time when I went to buy litter, they gave me a litter sample too.

I asked Dr Su about the different brands..... She mentioned Iams, Nutro and Solid Gold are the good ones.....

I am trying the ANF Holistic anyway.

Hi Coven

Can you tell me what holistic mean? Thanks!

lollipop

Hi Coven!

Yah! It's Solid Gold! I remember the title was kinda cliche :B

I dunno, after I realised what by-products meant, I would think twice of getting dried food w by-products.. Think I will stick to Nutro for awhile.. Nanook really loves the salmon.

kmich

My cat had Science Diet when he was a kitten. Now taking Iam for Adult. Was told that these 2 brands are better. less sodium. Agree with that cos my cat has nice coat though he's only a domestic household.

gtow

hi lollipop,
do you have before and after pictures of Nanook for his bald patch treatment (collar)? I am interested to see how much hair grew back!

My Bucky is getting worse. Now not just his stomach no fur. His butt, the inside of his legs, his 'armpits' and parts of his back have been licked bald. Did you get the collar from your vet? Which vet do you go to? Thanks!!

kmich

hi

can anyone give me some tips on cutting my cat's nails? he always runs away whenever he sees the nail cutter.

coven

hi kmich,
usually i cut his straight after shower when STILL in the toilet. tat's the time when he's the most controllable.

gtow

Hi!
I have a favor to ask... Please help me forward this information to your friends! Thanks from me and Buffy!
happy.gif

Cat for adoption: Buffy

39238.jpg

Buffy at the cat shelter

39239.jpg

Buffy in her pet carrier

Description: 1.5 yrs female, tri-color domestic short-haired. Very good health, sterilized and litterbox trained.

In her short life, Buffy has already been through two owners - they gave her up after only a few months due to other committments - and is currently living in a cat shelter.

Being a sensitive kitty, she is pretty traumatized from all the changes in environment and being "abandoned". She badly needs a good owner committed to providing her a safe, loving home for life.

To contact me please email [email protected] - please don't post in the forum since I may not check frequently. Thanks!!

gtow

Hiya,
Anyone around? Cats lovers, if you are around pls help...
Buffy is still not yet adopted. If you can just forward the info above to your frens, i'll be really grateful! BTW i have already posted on CWS adoption pages.

gwnn

Hi,
I adopted a cat 2 mths ago, 7mth old domestic breed. we love having her, but her noisiness is disturbing our sleep, and we're worried the neighbours will complain. she meows very loudly in the early hours of the morning 5-7am. we have gone from ignoring her in the hope that she will stop once she realizes that she will get no response, to spraying her with water, but both methods are not working. she has food and water, and litter box is clean. in fact she quietens down once she sees someone, so it looks like all she wants is attention.
anyone with similar experience and a remedy to suggest? thanks.