Cats Lovers??

fat_clumsy_cat

*sign*, Brownie has been on medicine for so long because of his bare patches until now I became an expert in feeding him medicine whether pills or the syringe. I was wondering when these days will be over.

E

eunicetan

halo, can i ask abt the bald patches? tiger has it now n then but the hair does seem to grow back after a while. may i know wats the reason for the bald patches? is there any supplements for cats to grow thicker hair?
biggrin.gif

me found a stray kitten this morning. wanted to bring him home to keep for a while but think my mil wouldnt be happy so i juz put him in a box with a cushion cover, place a bowl of dry food soaked in a little bit of water n left him where i found him. when i came back this evening, he was gone together with the box. hopefully someone has adopted him
uhoh.gif
i even took a pic of him in tiger's cage

22975.jpg

fat_clumsy_cat

Hi eunicetan,
My Brownie bare patches is due to unbalance in the hormone system. The vet say that of 100 cats that has been sterlize, one cat will get it. Brownie is the unlucky one. When they are unbalance in hormone, they will tend to over groom themselve, this will lead to shedding more fur than ever until it become bare. You have to stop your cat from licking itself and the cheapest way to make them wear a collar to get rid of the habit. But some cats will get stress over the collar. You will have to see a vet to get their hormone balance.

One way of getting them to grow think and beautiful fur is feeding them with Iams, but their shit becomes very smelly.

lollipop

Hi Lavenderlilz,

Sorry, I haven't had the time to log on during office hrs, and by the time I finished feeding Nanook medicine, I'd be so tired, I dun even want to log on at all :p

The spots on Nanook's belly have cleared up totally, but I continue to apply Neoderm on him. We have found an easier way to feed the antibiotic (the one which requires the use of a syringe) We just need to pry open Nanook's mouth on the side. He's more cooperative this way, and we are not so forceful. This afternoon I fed him all by myself! But he's a good boy.

I nvr pop pills into Nanook's mouth. I know the easiest way is to throw the pill in, and hit the cat's nose, but I won't even want to consider that option, scared the pill go down wrong track :p So I usually mashed the pills into bits and mix them with his food.

I remember when I first brought Nanook home, he was so noisy! He's a very vocal cat even now. I just decided to name him Nanook. Didn't know where the name came frm then. After tt, I came to realise tt there is also a Ty beanie named Nanook, and he's a Husky. I love Huskies! Since Nanook also has that white patch under his throat, I thought the name was rather suitable!
happy.gif

Hi FCC,
Nanook's patch is beginning to heal. Can see some fine hair growing out. Does Brownie wear a collar? A collar is best cos it really prevents cats frm licking themselves, esp. the affected areas where they could reach. What sort of medicine are you feeding him with? The vet at Mt Pleasant gave me some anti-fungal pills for the bare patch. And it's helping, albeit slowly, but the skin condition's much better. Mebbe you can bring Brownie to the hospital for some lab tests, they will take some skin and fur samples, and they will tell you what exactly could be the problem and the medication to go with..

There there.. I hope Brownie's patch heals soonest.

Hey, we bring our cats to the same vet right? Dr Lim Ai Cheng at Paya Leba? She said the bald areas are caused by hormone inbalance too!

Hi Eunice,
I hope some kind soul picked up the abandoned kitty and not someone who would do something else.

fat_clumsy_cat

Hi lollipop,
I have just bring Brownie to the vet today, I mean yesterday. Brownie has been wearing his collar for more than three months. His fur is growing back but very slow. Althought he could not lick most of his own body with the collar, he is still able to reach his tail and some parts of his leg when they become bare too.

Today, Dr Lim give him more pills to eats, I have to pop about 4 pills everyday into Brownie month. She gives me an address at Mt Pleasant and told me that if Brownie finish his pills and the dandruff is still there, then I got to make an appointment with Mt Pleasant. So sad, I think Brownie has been on pills for more than three months already, and he is looking more and more blur.

lollipop

Hi FCC,

Brownie has been wearing the collar for three months and there hasn't been much improvement? Mebbe Brownie's body works slow and steady.. dun worry, if you continue to let him wear the collar, he won't be able to reach the affected parts. Nanook with the collar can lick his tail and the end of his leg too
happy.gif

Cats are such bozos at times, they dunno what's good for them.

Ah, same vet. I may even have met you before.

Oh, did you give Brownie hormone pill? Cannot feed that medicine to Brownie over a long time.. might cause cancer, if I dun remember wrongly.

G

gingerale aka tigger

Yest was one yr anniversary of Butter's death! Her pictures are still plastered everywhere and it is really hard to imagine she has left me for one year. I talk about her like she has just left me few months ago. Haizzz, just wanna write something here cos this place is here with me from the arrival of Butter to her departure. May you rest in peace dearest girl. *muak muak* Remembering the first night we spend together..you were sleeping on my chest.;)

curly

Hi Tigger, didn't realise that it has been a year already..... Seems like yesterday.... It must have been hard for you. Butter will always be with you, in your heart.....

There was this stray cat, Long Tail, which I had been feeding for 5, 6 months. I learnt from the next blk neighbour (on Wednesday) that he was involved in a car accident and died last Friday night. I was very sad and had to hold back my tears as I was on my way to work. I cried in the office....

He was a very skinny kitten when he first appeared. He decided to stay put outside the next blk neighbours' flat and we fed him ever since.

I really miss him as whenever he saw me, he would either come to me or dash 3 or 4 meters ahead of me and wait.... But now there's no more Long Tail....

septembre

Hiya Curly! kinda miss you around here.! haha. How have you been? Still bz with your work?

Yar it seems really fast right. Kinda deja vu. I am still feeding ginger, the stray cat I adopted at my void. We realized we have known Ginger going to a year too. I am very afraid she will meet with some misfortune on the road too. So far, my neighbours are all very nice and help to look about her. One of them even bought a cat collar for her when AVA was going everywhere culling cats.

May Long Tail rest in peace and he will be with Butter playing happily with the Lord. My cousin's hamster just died too. So sad. At least you still have Ginger and Snowball. I miss Butter snuggling beside my ear sometimes.

curly

I seldom post anything now, however, I still log on every now and then. I'll probably will be more active when I'm pregnant.... Decided to try next month. Work is still ok. Have been searching for info on Italy as we are going next month.

So glad that there are so many cat lovers around. I am also feeding 3 or 4 other strays. There's a particular one - BlackWhite - she's my favourite as we suspect that she's Snowball's sis.

I think I am really blessed with my 3 cats.

Yap, Butter and Long Tail must be playing happily together......

curly

This morning when we went out for breakfast, we saw a new kitten, about 8 or 9 weeks old. Hopefully, she will stay put outside the neighbours' flat. We call her Black Tail - she's all white with a few black spots and a black tail. As my hubby was saying, Long Tail is in heaven and now we have Black Tail.

septembre

Curly your area seems to have a few kittens ya. Do you get them neutered? The only kittens i see around my area was when I first came back from overseas a yr ago. I think the kittens in my area are mostly neutered already.

lollipop

Hiya,

Anyone knows whether the AVA is still going around culling cats? Gingerale, AVA not only culls strays but sterilised ones as well. They admitted they had put down some sterilised ones. So even if a cat is wearing a collar, they have no qualms in putting them down as well.

For those cats which have passed on, I hope they are in Rainbow Bridge. For all we know, this bridge is fictionous, but I'd like to know that every furry feline is up there, enjoying themselves, playing, running around. Buttercup and Long Tail will be there.

Put these thoughts aside.. Curly, you are ready to be a mum? Do you know tt once you are pregnant, ure husbnad has to be the one to change the litter? Better prepare him first! Heh heh..

septembre

Curly, good to hear you are planning to have a bb!;D Keep us posted about the good news ok.
Lollipop when is your turn?

Lollipop serious ah! I worry for my ginger now. There was one night, i heard this loud meowing sound. followed by the sound of a car engine. It was about 3-4am and i couldn't sleep that night. I was so terrified they have come to take ginger away I quickly wake my fh up to chk on ginger downstairs. What a relieve when I saw ginger sitting gracefully near the lift. hehe.

lollipop

Gingerale,

Not anytime soon. We've just gotten our keys and haven't even decide on the reno. We'd want to take things slowly, settle one thing at a time.. anyways, we have only been married for like 10 months. Somehow I feel I won't be spending alot of time with Nanook once I have the bb, and tt isn't fair to him. I know we shouldn't wait too long, but sigh.. see how first.

It's true, the AVA does cull sterilised cats. I think as long as the cats are outside, they would take them away. That's why they "warned" cat owners to keep their cats indoors.

curly

Hi gingerale/lollipop

We have quite a few strays around our area. I think most of them had been neutered/spayed except for the kittens.

Not too sure if AVA is still going around culling cats. I hope not. During the SARS period, I was really worried for those strays I had been feeding. Now if I didn't see them for a few days, I would be worried sick until I see them.

My hubby can't wait to be a dad..... Was supposed to try earlier this year but I was given a big increment and I wanted to have my holiday first, so we decided to try during the holiday. However, my cycle is haywire since last month.....

Yap, I know that pregnant women shouldn't change litter trays (and I told my hubby before) but I think I'll still have to do it as my hubby can't seem to do a good job..... I think I'll wear a mask when I'm doing it.

curly

By the way, Snowy has feline acne! It's clearing up though. Snowball also has it! Dr Su said that we have to clean their chins after each meal...

grace

hi gals,
Have not visited her for some time... my Bucky also has feline acne on his chin and over grooming problem. He has been chewing fur off his stomach, butt, and the insides of the thighs and fore legs. I think he's bored
sad.gif
even though I have 2 other cats.
26798.jpg

lollipop

Hi Grace,

I think Bucky is overgrooming himself. Perhaps it is the itch that's irritating him. If the medication you are giving him doesn't help, suggest you bring him to the pet hospital. They can take some skin examinations and then tell you the root of the problem. Nanook's bald patch at the back of his neck is recovering very slowly. We still make him wear the collar.

fat_clumsy_cat

Hi
I have removed the collar on Brownie neck. I also have stop all medication on Brownie. Now We can see that Brownie is a much happier cat.

My hubby and me has decided that we will love Brownie whether he got fur a not.

Actually we decided to do that after we came back from the hospital. The vet said that Brownie is a very nervous cat and maybe this has cause he to over groom himself. We never let Brownie take his medicine after he came back from the hospital.

grace

Hi lollipop,

Bucky's a very hyperactive cat and has been overgrooming himself since he was a kitten. Don't think it's a itch or skin condition because the vet examined him before (she said to try tea tree oil!!) - but maybe I'll get him checked out again when he gets his yearly shots this month.

I believe it's boredom because he improved a lot last year when we temporarily fostered a kitten - they spent a lot of time playing. Almost all his hair grew back! Then when the kitten was adopted he started pulling out the fur on his legs and butt. Sigh!!!

What collar is Nanook wearing? One of those lampshade types?
happy.gif

grace

Hi fat clumsy cat,

Have you tried Bach's flower remedies for Brownie? It is natural and has no side effects. I have a bottle somewhere in my house but so lazy to find it...

I also agree it's not good to have your cat on medication too long, probably better to let her just be botak and happy! Bucky is a very happy cat, he just looks funny. Everybody comments on his appearance when they visit me, but I love him the way he is anyway!

fat_clumsy_cat

Hi Grace,
What is Bach's flower remedies? Do I have to force the thing down Brownie throat or it is something that he will bite it out of curious?

I didn't know that tea tree oil will work on cats. I dun mind trying on Brownie. Will they lick the oil off a not? I ever buy the bitten spray and spray on Brownie, He lick on himself even more, cannot believe that the spray is not working.

grace

Hi fat clumsy cat,

The Bach flower essences is a kind of therapy developed for humans but can be used for animals also. They are extracts from flowers and are used to treat physical, mental and emotional problems.

It comes in liquid form in a small bottle. Just one or two drops inside your cat's bowl of water is good enuf. It has hardly any smell so the cat will not notice when drinking. Dun have to force anything down poor Brownie's throat, dun worry!! :)

Apparently it's very popular nowadays, I tried on my cats when they were first adopted to help them get adjusted to each other, can't say for sure if it worked but I had v few problems with them so maybe it did. The shop I bought it from was in Holland Rd shopping centre, but it moved away and I lost their new address. If i can find it i'll post it here soon.

Meanwhile you can check these out...
Bach Flower Essences
Flower Essences for Special Needs Pets

grace

Oh by the way if you use tea tree oil on your pet, better don't use the concentrated oil, get the type that is diluted. Some pet shops have it. I may be going to Pets' Station tonite, will check what they have.

I also used bitter lemon spray on Bucky once a few yrs back. But it was a disaster, he licked it up and then vomited all over the house and was sick for 1 week! I called up the pet supply shop and told them they had given me a very bad recommendation. The product was supposed to be for dogs only... so gals pls be careful what you use on your pet. Use ur discretion! Cheers
happy.gif

curly

I was feeding the strays yesterday evening when the next blk neighbours told me that they had just been warned by the town council not to feed them any more. Apparently, someone complained about the strays. The neighbours were very angry as they never caused any trouble. Someone ever complained to them that some cats did business on their flower pots...... I hope they will not complain any more. I really enjoy feeding them and I like it when they come to greet me.

grace

hi curly,
Some of those complaints may be true and in a way it's not fair to expect everyone to be tolerant. However, not feeding them will probably make things worse - won't the cats break into ppls houses or dustbins to find food instead? That will cause even more complaints, i think. What do you think will be a good solution to the problem (apart from adopting all the strays yourself!)
My friend who is a feeder, gets sneered at by passersby, asking her,"if you like the cat so much why don't you bring it home!" They should ask HDB why not!

hi fat clumsy cat,
I checked out Pets Station and they have a lot of diff brand products containing tea tree oil. Shampoos, sprays, creams etc. Interestingly I also found they now sell powder and foam type cleaners for cats (no more wet baths!) But i still prefer washing with water to get them really clean. Do you gals bathe your cats?

septembre

CUrly, since they have already knocked upon your neighbourhood doors, how about have a discussion with the council and see how both sides can work together? Is it possile? Curly, chk out your wedding pictures thread. I got something to ask you there.

curly

Hi Grace, I totally agree with you that the complaints are not untrue and that we can't expect everyone to be tolerant towards the strays. The town council people actually told the neighbours that the corridor doesn't belong to them, so if they want to feed, they have to feed inside the flat!?? I really wished that HDB will allow cats in our flats soon..... We had been attacked (scratched and bitten) by a stray siamese many times but we never complained because he's just a cat afterall. I don't know any good solution as I like to see them around. And I can't afford to have more cats in my flat.... And thanks for the website on Bach. It's really informative. Never though that I could use Rescue Remedy on animals too. My hubby uses it. Where can we get here?

Hi gingerale, I think I will give the town council later and see what they say.... I will check out the wedding thread in a minute.

lollipop

Hi Grace,

My mum bathes Nanook once every three weeks. With cat shampoo. I heard about the kind of bath which doesn't require water, but personally I find tt it's cleaner with water.

Nanook has gotten used to being wet already. He wouldn't struggle, ok, seldom struggle.

grace

Hi lollipop,
i started bathing my cats with head n shoulders shampoo after my pet sitter told me it could be used. Helps with skin probs and dandruff! Also the fur feels very soft after that, hee!
happy.gif

Yesterday i bathed one of my cats. She didn't really struggle until I was rinsing her off. Then when I was holding her in my arms and drying her with a towel, you know what she did? Pee all over herself and me!!!! ARGH! At first I thought she was dripping water until i smelled something and saw the yellow liquid....
angry.gif

fat_clumsy_cat

Hi Grace,
Thank you for your information. I have got Lampe Berger in my house. It is used to reduce my hubby stress and makes him sleep well. Dun know if it will work for my Brownie a not.

The doctor got give me a kind of shampoo for Brownie. I think I will finish up that bottle first before trying the tea tree oil type. I usually bathe my cats once every month. I used to bathe them very week until I kenna scolding from my vet.

grace

Hi fcc
My turn to ask! What is Lampe Berger?

I used to bathe my cats only once in a long while, something like 6 mths once, or not at all (the Siamese would rather die).

Tried bathing Bucky every week after he started overgrooming this year but didn't seem to help much so i stopped after a few weeks. Now I bathe him monthly. Why did the vet say it was bad?

fat_clumsy_cat

Hi Grace,

You can check out at the link below to see what is Lampe berger.

http://www.lampeberger.com

The vet said that if u bathe them too often, they will loss their natural oil. Recommended to bathe them once every three months. If u really cannot stand it, then bathe them once every month.

grace

Hi fcc,

Thanks for the Lampe Berger link. Very pretty lamps!

Don't use it on Brownie if it contains essential oils - certain kinds of aromatherapy (e.g. essential oils) can be very toxic to cats because they cannot metabolize some compounds the same way as humans. See Aromatherapy and your cat

Whatever you use, just be careful and do some research first. All the best to Brownie and may she get well soon!

E

eunicetan

halo gals,

juz wanna share pics of 2 beautiful stray cats around my place
happy.gif

26954.jpg

26955.jpg

E

eunicetan

hi gingerale,

ehhhh.... me never thought of giving them names leh
uhoh.gif

yah the first one has got beautiful markings but i thought the second one is more unusual coz its a local cat with long hair
proud.gif

fat_clumsy_cat

Hi Grace,

Anyway, my cats hate the smell of lampe berger. Whenever my hubby light the lamp, they will stay away from the room.

I think I will try the Bach flower essences if I can find it.

Hi Curly,
Saw your album, really enjoy your cats pictures. Feel like scanning and uploading my mui mui and Brownie into my Yahoo album just like yours but too lazy to do it.

septembre

Eunice, yar hor never really notice the long hair for the 2nd cat. Must be damn hot for him or her to hve such long fur in spore. ;D

FCC, does Lampe Berger really work on your hub? I've got insomnia from schooldays!

grace

hi eunice,
Very pretty cats! How come their fur is so much nicer than my Bucky and Pearl's fur?
sad.gif

I think staying too much indoors must be bad for the cat's fur, or maybe I am doing something wrong...

Bucky has botak patches, and Pearl is shedding like crazy all over the sofa. She used to have really thick, shiny fur but now it's very sparse and there's dandruff and the texture is really dull. Sigh! Any suggestions?

I feed them a combi of wet and dry food, always the good brands somemore...

fat_clumsy_cat

Hi gingerale,
Lampe Berger really works. Can make you sleep deep deep until you dun want to wake up. But it really depend on what type of favour you use.

Hi Grace,
Brownie used to have dandruff too. When I bring him to see the vet, they refer me to Mount Plesant hospital because they do not have the machine to check. At the hospital, they take several fur sample to test for bacteria, fugus, etc. Before I bring Brownie to the hospital, I actually make him wear the fleas collar for two days. They cannot find any fleas or anything on Brownie. The conclusion is that the vet also dun know what causes the dandruff. But they said that Brownie is a nervous cat.

After bringing Brownie back from hospital, we did not even let Brownie have the medicine. After a few days, his dandruff just disappear. I suspect the flea collar actually work on him.

lavenderlilz

Hi Grace

If your cat is getting bald patches, it could be due to its diet as well. My friend's cat was eating Friskies initially for quite awhile & it was ok then the cat started getting this bald patch & the vet said it was the diet. Once she changed the pet food - the problem stopped.

Another thing that might help is to give your cats supplements cos my friend adopted a retriever which didnt have silky fur at first & she fed him supplements & brushed him at least every 2 days once & his fur has improved tremendously.

lavenderlilz

Hi ladies

As for feline acne - my galfriend's cat used to get it too as it was eating out of a plastic tray. Once my friend changed the tray to a stainless steel one - the problem stopped as well.

3cats

Hi all cat owners, notice some of your babies have feline acne. My cat also "kenna" a few months ago. One cause is plastic bowl. If not washed properly daily, it tends to accumulate bacteria rather easily and when your cat's chin touches the edge of the bowl, voila! feline acne on the chin. My vet recommended this anti-dandruff shampoo for dogs which I apply undiluted to its chin and within days, no more ance. Check if your vet recommends this option.

Bald patches - One of my cats also used to have bald patches. It seems to be a hormonal thingy according to the vet and it requires long term treatment, ie pills, to control the problem. He cautioned on the side effects and mentioned long term pilling is no good. Then I switched food from a premium brand to a holistic brand (Back to *****, you go guess the name. No advertising intention here) and somehow, her bald patches went away without medication after finishing a pack. No more bald patches ever since. If it's the food, I am so lucky. Can't imagine pilling my cat every week. Can die one.

For dandruff and scaly skin, it might be due to fur mites. Your cat will tend to over-groom since it is itchy and the fur will lose its lustre. Your vet can do a skin scrap under the microscope to confirm for fur mite presence. Frontline helps to terminate the mite problem but please check with your vet.

Seems like I have all the problems you encountered. Poor me.

gtow

Hi 3cats,
Seems like commercial cat food (even premium brands) can be bad for our poor kitties! Have you ever wondered why the strays always seem so much healthier? Don't they eat only scraps or cheap cat food? So strange. I can't guess the holistic brand, won't you tell? Is it Nutro? I promise not to think you are endorsing the brand.

Yeah, I am definitely NOT going to pill my cat. Dunno who will die first, cat or me.
happy.gif

Re: dandruff, my cat who overgrooms has no mites or dandruff. The cat who DOES have dandruff, on the other hand, doesn't seem to groom herself at all! Anyway her fur looked a lot better after the Head&shoulders shampoo bath.
happy.gif