Carlton Hotel

ilovekiwi

Hi all,

Just thot I would share my experience with the hotel as I just had my wedding there! Well, to be honest, a mixed review of the hotel but left with a disappointed heart as we had expected much more from Carlton.:( Yes, agree that the hotel is more stingy on the perks.. we were considering Pan Pac, Swiss Merchant Court Hotel and Fairmont but decided on Carlton due to the nice ballroom with high ceiling! Ok, so here's the good and the bad:

Good:

• Banquet manager was good and experienced, helping us all the way and guided us as we were on stage.
  • Prior to the wedding, the follow-up was good as the hotel was pro-active in contacting us for info.
  • Friendly staff in general
  • Banquet went smoothly!
Ok, the bad:
  • There were complaints that the VIP table serving was way too little as they were individually served as compared to the other normal tables. We are guessing there was a lot left over.. kinda sad that the VIP had really small portions vs the other guests?
  • The fish was not fresh at all at the VIP table!
  • Half of the ballroom was complaining that it was way too warm, yet it seemed that not much could be done
  • Very disappointed with the hotel service treatment.
    • We had arrived on time at 2pm to check in as we had a very tight schedule with the soleminisation at 6pm. However we were kept waiting for about 45 mins but no reason was given either. The hotel was lucky they could keep the real reason as to why we were waiting since our accompanying car took some time to reach the hotel as my hubby and I waited. But it was very odd that our coordinator too so long to join us at the lobby. It was only later that we found out that our room was mixed up! It was given to another couple and the hotel did not even tell us. It was no wonder I saw them huddling together with hushed tones before coming over to talk to me.
    • Not sure if it was because the room was mixed up or cause Carlton doesn't put in effort to decorate the bridal suite. But there was NO decoration at all. I went to other hotels before and the toilets would be decorated with rose petals, with some decor on the bed too. When asked, coordinator just said that they don't decorate and that they gave a choc cake and fruit basket. The so-called fruit basket is a plate of fruits, something that you wouldn't even give while visiting at the hospital. Overall, very disappointed at this lack of effort? If this is the standard practice for the hotel, then I think they should really buck up as making the bridal suite lovely is really something basic for a wedding couple in my opinion.
    • So the room was mixed up, but the room we were in wasn't in a good condition. The dresser lamp was spoilt and during my dress change to put on different hair accessory, my jiemei had to use the HP flash light so that we could see in the room!
    • Air con was leaking on the second day we were there
    • Small point to note was that the bell to the suite was spoilt too. Funny how the hotel staff knew to knock on the door and never once helped us fix it?
    • The suite is really old, so really not fantastic at all! We knew that the rooms were older but was really disappointed when I walked in. Old looking furnishing, very small toilet.. only good thing is that the room is clean I guess.
    • Hotel staff actually told my jiemei that each room was only entitled to 2 bottled waters.. seriously, we had so many helpers on the wedding day and yet we could only get 2 bottled water?
    • Recovery service from the hotel left much to be desired.. we felt the gesture was really half-hearted and we were even told that the hotel would kindly 'waive off local calls' as goodwill. So we just left with a lot of 'sorry' and 'thank you' and that was it.
Overall, I'm just thankful that the banquet went smoothly and generally people said the food was fine. However, the experience for the bridal suite and poor service recovery really left us with a bad experience.

Hope this sharing helps :)

Happy wedding planning to all!

huifen.yeo

Hi, anyone has more recent reviews to share? I've contacted the hotel and Sue replied. Any feedback in her service?
Hey shoppingger. Sue's service was great. She'll advice us as accordingly like in which is needed or not. Go for the interim and will be surprise by her excellent service

Audrey_Jasmine

Hi, I'm thinking of signing up a package with Carlton for Ballroom 4 & 5, what other perks should i request for from them? I heard they are quite stingy on their perks. Anyone liase with the coordinator Joyce Poh before?

Hi, I'm thinking of signing up a package with Carlton for Ballroom 4 & 5, what other perks should i request for from them? I heard they are quite stingy on their perks. Anyone liase with the coordinator Joyce Poh before?

carlton hotel is quite generous with their perks iirc. I went to view their ballroom last year and their coordinator gave me everything that i could ask for. but i din choose the hotel in the end cos it had a shared reception with ballroom 1,2,3. Guests had to walk through the reception area of 1,2,3 before reaching my venue so I was quite particular about that..

Cakesandpies

carlton hotel is quite generous with their perks iirc. I went to view their ballroom last year and their coordinator gave me everything that i could ask for. but i din choose the hotel in the end cos it had a shared reception with ballroom 1,2,3. Guests had to walk through the reception area of 1,2,3 before reaching my venue so I was quite particular about that..

What kind of perks did they give..?

dreamystar86

Dear Btbs,

We are planning to sign up Carlton ballroom 4-5 for 4Q2015.

Anybody has signed up for their package? I would like to know what kind of perks I can ask for too. Thanks!

dreamystar86

Hi, I would like to know the perks which they have given you too. Mind sharing? Thanks!

Aly Aly

@pandanz - will be attending one on the 18/10 and will share w you as much as I can...

btw understand that the suite rooms and pool area (old wing) are going through reno. hence not for viewing.

pandanz

Thanks Aly Aly. Hope to hear your feedback. :p

Are you a bride-to-be too? When is your Wedding? Have you found your banquet place?

Yes, Carlton's old wing is under renovation. They mentioned that the old wing will be ready early next year. ;)

Darrylk

Hi, I have made a tentative booking for next 4th quarter 2015 and will go down to put the deposit next week. I have heard of some reviews about Carlton and would like to check if the food quality from Wah Lok is good, as I would like to avoid a situation where guests go away disappointed with the food. Any advice please?

etlt

My wedding is over. Our guests are happy with the food.
I'm happy with the set up. Very romantic yet looks grand. Staffs are very helpful and friendly

Jerry#28

Has anyone got a more detailed review on Carlton's service and quality of the food?
And has anyone liaised with Michelle Koh before? How is she?

xueee

Hello all... I'm new here. Anybody attended/ booked a wedding at Carlton recently? I'm keen to find out what they can offer, and what I should look out for. :) Thanks!!

I just went for an appt at Carlton to learn more about the perks they can offer. Like what many have commented, they don't offer as much perks and they are not as flexible.

However, I appreciate the fact that they actually have a small dedicated room to show you the models of the wedding tier cake, the wedding invite samples and gifts samples. It's good to have a feel of what the actual thing looks like, as most hotels just show pictures.

Just a thought!

naiyoucreamy

Carlton was one of my previous choice actually. The staff who served me was very nice. However, the perks could not really be negotiated. The smaller pillar has pillars right? From what i remember..

twinklez

hello @sweetsummerdreams,

we have talked to dora before when we were searching for venue. she is quite sincere & earnest in showing us around the ballrooms & function rooms. carlton perks are quite rigid but i think it is still all right as higher to more costly venues..

hope u find ur ideal venue soon!

naiyoucreamy

we have talked to dora before when we were searching for venue. she is quite sincere & earnest in showing us around the ballrooms & function rooms. carlton perks are quite rigid but i think it is still all right as higher to more costly venues..

Agree with you. Spoke to dora too when i was searching for venues. Their perks are rather fixed. But the place looks alright actually..

shawna85

We met with Dora and she was quite friendly. However her subsequent email is very direct as we try to talk about the perks. Can share your package?
email: [email protected]

twinklez

We met with Dora and she was quite friendly. However her subsequent email is very direct as we try to talk about the perks. Can share your package?
email: [email protected]
hello shawna85,
we din sign up with carlton in the end, as we need a venue that has flexibility to accomodate b/w 25-36..but carlton max is 33.
during our meetup, i recalled asking for more parking coupons, 1 more night stay in bridal studio but not possible.
but they are able to provide complimentary ROM room if you require..
do u know if they have a wedding show coming up? if so, they will usually throw in more perks if u sign up tt day! tt is what i saw for other hotels.. so u might want to jus check out..
hope this helps!

labchick

Any review on the food? Shortlisting this as 1 of my venue but has yet to contact them.waiting for my dates to b provided by geomancer

SG50

Hi , I'm newbies here. Did anyone got a upgrade of the bridal room to bridal suite? & how is the food quality? I'm also afraid of disappointed from friends and families .

yvonnetce

Hi,

I have signed a banquet package with Carlton Hotel and would like to sell the package away to another couple. However, Carlton says that I am not allowed to transfer the package to another couple/sell the package.

Anyone know whether this is true?? I was under the impression that all banquet packages are transferable. Why would they not allow transfers? It's not as if they will lose business. This doesn't make sense to me. Anyone has sold a package with Carlton before?

Thanks!

Esther

rebaecca

its always good to check if the package that your are signing with any vendors if it's transferable. having said that, I believed the ministry is working on this to ensure that there is fair play so that couples will not have to bear the brunt in case they have to release the booking. I recalled several hotel was blacklisted for such practises, maybe you want to check with the hotel again ? sometimes the coordinator needs a little bit of nudge.

mifenmei

Carlton was one of my shortlisted hotels but when i went down to view the ballroom, was much disappointed as it had 4 fat pillars..

Demisnail

Hi, anyone recently contacted Carlton? I have tried to contact them but it is impossible to get hold of anyone. Called the person on the wedding brochure given by their concierge and was informed that they only work on weekdays, called again and they said that they will track my email and get back to me.. Till today no one replied to both my emails and calls zzz. Didn't expect such service.

mifenmei

Hi, anyone recently contacted Carlton? I have tried to contact them but it is impossible to get hold of anyone. Called the person on the wedding brochure given by their concierge and was informed that they only work on weekdays, called again and they said that they will track my email and get back to me.. Till today no one replied to both my emails and calls zzz. Didn't expect such service.
I liased with jon for the viewing of ballrooms. Hope it helps.

pandanz

Hihi to all who are interested to hold their Wedding at Carlton.
We just had our wedding luncheon at Carlton Ballroom 4&5. Was initially kind of worried of the food quality and service on our Wedding day as there are 3 wedding lunches on that day. However, everything went well. Our guests are happy with the food and the portion. The banquet-in-charge, Ryan, is very friendly and helpful. He even personally returned some of our stuff at our bridal suite which we and our guest left at the luncheon.

The bridal suite is big. A living room with toilet for our helpers and a connecting room with a huge bathroom. Enjoyed our stay there. ;)
Thank you to the team at Carlton.

Hope you find ur ideal venue soon! :)

eawah

Hi All,

After about 2 months of research, site visit & etc, just wanted to share my experience. Not sure if this is correct thread to post. Else, do let me know where can I share at.

Carlton Hotel

This was initially our first choice. But the Sales Coordinater/Manager macam not keen with our biz. Email we sent n enquiries/request we made, we need to send chaser to follow up. Even after 2 weeks of soft booking, no one called n inform us that the soft booking is ended!

Hotel Jen Tanglin
Overall was very satisfied with the Sales Manager. All our questions was replied very promptly. Unfortunately we did not choose this place as the ballroom was not what I was looking for.

Hotel Fort Canning
Location is a bit inconvenient for guest that are not driving thus we did not select this place.

Genting Hotel Jurong
The ballroom was amazing but the hotel room is not up to my hubby's expectation. :D

RWS
We selected this place in the end. Overall the experience with the Sales Coordinator is awesome! She was the one who handled our acct be it if we select Genting Jurong or RWS. The ballroom in RWS was good with enough space for guest to mingle around pre-lunch. We just confirm the venue and hopefully *finger crossed* everything will go smoothly.

cyncwy

Hi All,

After about 2 months of research, site visit & etc, just wanted to share my experience. Not sure if this is correct thread to post. Else, do let me know where can I share at.

Carlton Hotel

This was initially our first choice. But the Sales Coordinater/Manager macam not keen with our biz. Email we sent n enquiries/request we made, we need to send chaser to follow up. Even after 2 weeks of soft booking, no one called n inform us that the soft booking is ended!

Hotel Jen Tanglin
Overall was very satisfied with the Sales Manager. All our questions was replied very promptly. Unfortunately we did not choose this place as the ballroom was not what I was looking for.

Hotel Fort Canning
Location is a bit inconvenient for guest that are not driving thus we did not select this place.

Genting Hotel Jurong
The ballroom was amazing but the hotel room is not up to my hubby's expectation. :D

RWS
We selected this place in the end. Overall the experience with the Sales Coordinator is awesome! She was the one who handled our acct be it if we select Genting Jurong or RWS. The ballroom in RWS was good with enough space for guest to mingle around pre-lunch. We just confirm the venue and hopefully *finger crossed* everything will go smoothly.
Hihi, would u mind sharing RWS package with me? My email is [email protected]

Lsm

Hi All,

Carlton Hotel

Hotel Jen Tanglin

Hotel Fort Canning

Genting Hotel Jurong

RWS

Hihi, do you mind sharing with me rws package too ? :)

Lsm

Hi All,

Carlton Hotel

Hotel Jen Tanglin

Hotel Fort Canning

Genting Hotel Jurong

RWS

Hihi do you mind to share the rws package with me too ? My email is [email protected]. thanks. :)