Bali

V

vee kee

Hi Lynn,

yup! the tspt to and from is complimentary!

The spas I went to are not within the hotel. It is a stand alone establishment.

happy.gif

may

Just back from Bali, the place is very quite. You see more local than tourist. Every 50 m you walk people will approach you, asking you whether you want transport, manicure, etc etc.

Business at restaurants is very bad. Some of the restaurants are empty even during lunch and dinner time. In the end, we decided to eat at places where there is a crowd and usually these are the cheaper places where it cost about S$7 for 2 including drinks.

The bomb site is not very near Hard Rock Cafe. If you walk, I think you need to walk at least 15 mins. Bomb site is along Jln Legian Street but Hard Rock is at the end of Jalan Pantai Kuta near the beach.

omveganyogi

hi may, you sound disappointed with yr bali trip? I hope you still managed to enjoy and relaz over there.

Did you go to Ubud for some handicraft and some surfer shorts and attire? I would like to get some artifact from there from my hse and also someone advice me not to bring so much clothing and get from there but i think thier fashion is not even near to us??

i heard they are plentiful of fruits and food wise is near to thai and sin malay food?

pls advice and thanks!

may

I was not disappointed with the trip...just that the atmosphere was not there...v quite.

If you want to go for surfers stuff, there are many surf shop around. I saw one big surf shop on the way from Kuta to Jimbaran. It is located on the main road you will not miss it. It is about 100 m just before the big hotel intercontential sign. Also in front of the surf shop is a big surfer statue.

There are a lot of cheap surfer shorts at the art market too. Cost about S$3 to $5. As for tops, I don't think I will wear them in Singapore so did not get any.

Yes there are a lot of handicraft in ubud and along the way to ubud.

confused

Dear All,

We're planning a trip to Bali mid of next month. Any idea on the weather there? Is it a monsoon period?

Also, can anyone advise which hotel to stay: Kuta Paradiso, Hard Rock or Dynasty? All hotels are at Kuta.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks

E

excitedbali

Hi Confused

I heard that mid July is the beginning of the peak period in Bali. I am also going to Bali next month, very excited after reading all the threads in Bali. The weather should be fine, hot, I mean.

I heard that Hard Rock and Dynasty is decent and nice, you can check out their websites. I was looking at it when I was surfing the net but as I was looking for a Balinese touch in my accomodation, I later settled for a villa. I am staying at The Villa in Seminyak - quite close to Kuta (www.thevillas.net). Heard that it is amazing with own private pool.. You may also want to check it out.

I am staying for 5 nites, 3 nites in Seminyak and will be going to Ubud for 2 nites. How long are you planning to stay there??

Anyone stayed in The Villas before ? Any comments? Also, anyone stayed in Ubud before?

confused

Hi ExcitedBali,

I'm staying there only for 4D3N, my first visit to Bali. Yah, I'm also looking forward to the trip after reading through the threads...

Still torn between the hotels... The agency strongly recommends Kuta Paradiso but from the websites, Hard Rock seems more appealing but it's more expensive lor

postpet2

Hello ladies,

me planning to go to bali too early next month...

excitedbali: you are staying in Villas?? wow..i heard they are quite costly...how much did you pay for it...

E

excitedbali

Hi Postpet2,

Ya, me planning to stay there for 3 nites. Didn't book thru any agent, call the villa direct. Apparently, though they only have 16 one bed-room suites, bali is so quiet that everyone is slashing their prices. Negotiate with the villa for a long time and get the rate down to US$ 121nett per nite, about S$210.

Are you planing to stay at hotels or villas?

postpet2

Hello excitedbali,

me definitely would love to stay at one of those balinese villas...but its hell ex...

even at S$210, i would still need to think think..maybe stay for one nite only to experience..

for my other 3 nites, will have to go to a hotel then...

anyone hotel hop before?? 2 nites in one place, another nite in another??

Dunno whether me crazy to do that or not...hehe

meemee

Hi all,
I stay at 2 hotels at Bali. 2 Nites at Sanur Beach Resort & 2 nites at Nusa Dua Beach Resort. Postpet2, it's not crazy of hotel hopping. I did that as well.
happy.gif

I luv the ambience especially Nusa Dua, pretty quiet & more privacy. They have fantastic pool & pte beach (clean & blue)! These two resorts were selected by my friend after she made some study on which resorts offered the good spas (of cos not the best but good enough)! And I plainly follow her along, no regrets!
happy.gif
Just for your info, they charge the spa by US currency

Why I din choose Kuta? Well, no doubts it is a great shopping paradise but I feel that it is too crowded, hot & the beach is quite dirty... Anyway, it is quite convinent to travel from Nusa Dua to Kuta, so no worry.

kis

Hi PostPet2,
FYI, I also hotel hopping...sometime u can arrange with the hotel for a free hotel transfer where they pick u up at another hotel. But some hotels do charge.

besse

Hi Mee Mee

is Nusa Dua beach resort expensive?

we going bali on 2 free air ticket redeemed from krisflyer.. so now gotta look for own accomodation..

is Nusa far from Kuta? does hotel have shuttle there??

Kis, i was also considering staying 2 nites at HardRock for the kick of it.. and 2 nites in cheaper hotel.. hm... see how lor.. any recommendations?

meemee

Hi Besse,
I can't remember how much exactly I pay as it was around a yr & half ago. I can only recall it was the SIA free & easy package & I had to top up around $100 more to upgrade for Nusa Dua Beach Resort (5-star).

The hotel din provide transport to Kuta, but you can easily get a taxi which is quite cheap.
happy.gif

meemee

Besse,
I would recommend 2 nites stay first at one of the 5-star beach resort (eg like places at Nusa Dua or Sanur) to enjoy the resort facilities, spa, beach activities etc & another last 2 nites at Kuta to do your shopping craze. In this way, you can have the best of both world.
happy.gif

kis

Hi Besse,

FYI, I stay at Matahari Hotel (Kuta) @ US$20 per nite (recommended by Estella on earlier postings) and Puri Ayu Hotel (Sanur) @ US$35 per nite. Both are 3/4 star hotels...definitely not as grand as Hard Rock.

B

blurmehh

Dear all,
I am currently planning for my honeymoon in mid-sept. Was thinking of staying at Jimbaran Hill resort for about 10 days. Anyone stayed at Jimbaran area before? How's the place?

How abt Swiss-Belhotel Bali Aga at Nusa Dua?

Would appreciate your comments. Thanks

B

balibabie

hello,

i'm going to bali in august and am thinking of staying at nusa dua for 3 nights and kuta for 2 nights.

but my sis says that kuta is noisy and crowded, and that i can easily go to kuta from nusa dua.

any comments?

sakurasan

Hi blurmehh

I stayed at the Bali Intercontinental at Jimbaran Bay in June. The beach there is quite nice and there were seafood warungs next to my hotel. That area is very quiet and peaceful, but also very near Kuta - just grab a cab and you're in Kuta in 10 minutes. I felt that the only problem with Jimbaran was that other than the seafood warungs (which are fairly cheap), there's nothing else to eat. The hotel food is very very expensive. So most days, we eat our meals at Kuta or Ubud.

I think Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton are also at Jimbaran but further in.

besse

hello gals..

me going for my trip on Thursday!!!
happy.gif
we will be staying at HRC Hotel.. my gf who just came back said it is a nice place to stay in.. haha.. i plan to bring minimal and wear stuff as i buy there..

leo

Hi,

Me going Bali staying at HRC hotel too on next Sat. Can I know does HRC has a good location (ie. near shopping area, beach etc)? Me 1st time going there so dun know the area at all really appreciate your advise. Thanks!

meemee

Yup, HRC is a good location for shopping & it's along the beach. I personally feel Kuta is too hot & crowded & I don't like the dark sand on the beach. Heard it is due to the nearby volcano.

postpet2

i agree with Sakurasan that Jimbaran bay is not a bad place to stay in...

very private...dun get all the hustle and bustle of Kuta..yet near enuff to get all the shopping you need.

I stayed in Ritz on my recent trip and liked it definitely...The breakfast is real shiok.
Plus the 'infinity edge' pool...

HRC is definitely a good location for all the shopping...but as what Meemee say, Kuta beach very noisy, dirty...

How come no one here like Ubud ah..i tot that place not bad leh...

meemee

Never been to Jimbaran but I luv Nusa Dua. Very peaceful, quiet & nice private beach. There are also some gd spas
happy.gif

sakurasan

Hi postpet2

I was deciding between Ritz or Bali Intercon...in the end, selected the latter coz appears nearer to Kuta. Why is the breakfast shiok? Coz I want to go back to Bali again - maybe stay in the Ritz this time! But hubby wants to stay in Ubud - kind of too ulu for me.

besse

hi hi

Just back from my Bali trip today..

Leo, I stayed at HRC too.. hmm.. the hotel is a lil over rated, cos rooms quite sparse and basic, but the pool is great.. it even has a little sand island big enuff for beach volley.. we took the honeymoon package, 5D, 4N, they throw in a whole day Cabana (cottage by the pool), 45min massage, and a REALLLY ROMANTIC dinner.. complete with setting and all...

Actually, HRC is not the best of location.. i personally don find the shopping at Kuta Sq (which HRC is close to) exciting. Would prefer Legian, which is a good 20 mins walk away from HRC.

To find good food, venture beyond HRC area.. go to Seminyak, Oberoi and Legian.. We had real CHEAP and yummy and fresh jap food at Ryoshi.. reallly recommended..

Jimbaran has seafood restaurants (Grilled seafood).. Ambiance real good, with tables by the beach, candle lit, and stars above, twinkling lights of towns and airport far beyond.. food's quite tasty, butttt... EXPENSIVE.. our dinner of grilled prawns, Fish and Squid costed us US$40.

We'll go back there again, cos bf loves the surf.. and there are so much else to see and do in Bali.. would love to go Ubud, Nusa Dua & Lombok area..

Hmm.. heart still in Bali.. sigh.. tomorrow going bk to work.. sigh..

B

babiee

hi besse,

glad you enjoyed your trip.

my hubby and me are going to bali next weekend for our honeymoon.

we will be there for a week.

tickets booked but have not booked our lodgings yet. we are thinking of staying at Nusa Dua. is it very far from Kuta?

thanks for the Jap and Seafood recommendations. we love both and will definitely try out
happy.gif

how's the weather like in bali now?

did you move around yourself or did you engage someone to bring you around?

sorry for the many questions, i am so excited abt my trip
happy.gif

leo

Hi Besse,

Thank you very much for your info. Will try to venture around. You mentioned about spending US$ for your dinner, you mean they use US$ there and not rupiah? I'v change rupiah liao leh!

postpet2

Hello Babiee,

Nusa Dua is not far from Kuta.
Can take cab, abt 10mins.
Cannot walk..

For seafood at Jimbaran, i had tried that as well. Would strongly encourage any couple going there to try it out. Interesting experience. Romantic definitely.

I went twice. Once at abt 6.20pm. Sun set liao..no fun.
The second time at 6pm. Just nice for sunset. Beautiful.
I went to this restaurant called Sharkeys. I dunno which besse went, but i paid only S$30-S$40 for both times that i went. I had 0.5kg prawns, 0.5kg fish, 0.5kg squid, 0.5kg clams.
I paid $40 for all the above and S$30 for without clams.

I dun think its ex lah..I paid in Rupiah definitely. Not in US$.

Babiee : you can try this place if you need recommendation. They offer free trp from your hotel if you call them and send you back to hotel.
Local calls are cheap BTW.

Sakurasan : Ritz Carlton breakfast shiok in term of taste and variety lor....I stayed at another villa in Ubud. Maya Ubud. Their bf not as good as Ritz leh...

I would recommend Ubud if any ladies here is still thinking whether to go or not.
I like that place cos its quieter, simpler and cheaper in terms of shopping. Batik, souvenirs,etc..from the Ubud art market.
I got quite a big wood couple sculpture for S$12 only.

Overall Bali is not bad lah...interesting experience.
But i think for real shopping, Bangkok lah!Paradise.

B

babiee

hi postpet,

thank you for your info, really appreciate it!
happy.gif

you mean I can call Sharkeys Restaurant and ask for transport there and back to the hotel?

my hubby and me intend to go to ubud too
happy.gif

btw, anyone stayed in Bali Hyatt or Grand Hyatt before? Any comments?

sakurasan

I also paid in Rupiah when I ate seafood at Jimbaran...not very cheap tho. And I didn't enjoy it coz of the way they bbq the seafood - dry, tough and bland. But sitting there and watching the sun go down is really romantic.

besse

Sakurasan

Yeah.. romance is in the air there
happy.gif

Oh.. did you guys try the white water rafting!? it was fun rite?? keke.. how much did you all pay? we bargained till 225000Rp per pax..

postpet2

Hello Babiee..

I had not tried Grand Hyatt. But one of my colleague did and he liked it thoroughly. He say heaven leh..
I think generally Nusa Dua's hotel are all like that. Sheraton Laguna also very good. Got bale where you can eat breakfast in, then go for a dip..
me beginning to get attracted to balinese architecture...hehehe..maybe can port that idea to my new home in future...

Yeah, Sharkeys will fetch you there n back. FOC. call them only. BTW, weekend is quite pack when i went.

B

babiee

hi postpet2,

thanks again.

i have settled with Bali Hyatt and Grand Hyatt. heard that BH is older, but more balinese style, whereas GH is more luxurious.

do you have Sharkeys number?

mexx

hi any advice on which are the nicer and more luxurious hotels in kuta that are within walking distance to the kuta shopping area ? Dun really like hard rock... prefer the more balinese type of deco. Budget is US$100-200 per nite.

between Balihai,bali dynasty, karthika plaza which is better ? any other nice hotels ?

mexx

Hi Postpet2,

Is maya ubud nice & luxurious ? we're looking to stay either at the pool villa or garden villa. Wanna get some feedback from people who've stayed there before. Would you recommend staying there for honeymoon ? And is the location convenient as base to explore ubud ?
Apart from maya ubud, which other villas in ubud are nice ? Have you heard of the Komeneka resort ? is that nice ?
would be great if you could advise !
thanks lots

soap

Hi,

I am going to Bali either end of this month or last 2 weeks of Dec. Was thinking of staying at Hard Rock Bali. Is there any recommendation on what is interesting and things to do?

(I have been to Bali twice but it is some time back).

Btw, when is the moonsoon period, the travel agent mentioned that it is ok to go now??? Another thing, heard from my colleagues that they have some elections going on, is it safe to go?

Ohhhhh, my other colleague just came back and she mentioned that surftbabe, quilsilver and billbong is 1/2 the price. Is the items fake or real?

Cheers & Thanks
happy.gif

jenjen

Hi, anyone stay in white rose before??

I'm planning to go to bali in January... can anyone advice if it's easy to book day tours when I'm there??

Anything which u will recommend to buy from there??

What is there to do there??

Please contribute freely... thanks!!

girlfriend

I haf stayed in Melia Bali @ Nusa Dua before.

Nice, luxurious, villa like.

Jen, you can go play sea sports, go shopping at Kuta, go sight seeing at those tourist spots particularly Indonesia temples (can take up a day). We took a cab around the places.

Not difficult to find day tour operators bt of course, F&E by cab cheaper.

We went for 4 days 3 nights. HB & I really enjoyed it! It was very hot when we went last dec.

Not sure of Jan's weather.

Can buy decorative stuff, candles, bags, surf wear etc etc

slow

Jen - is it your first time in Bali? If it is, then maybe you should stay around Kuta beach area. Very touristy but at least you get to see a lot of shops and still enjoy a nice stretch of beach (a lotof activities on the beach!!) Hard Rock Cafe is very nice there.

No need to take day tours - just bargain (like crazy) with a local cab and you will probbaly spend about $80 for one day rate - maybe this rate has changed but depending on your bargaining skills I think.
happy.gif

You can buy many things but mainly handicrafts. Ubud has a lot of nice shops selling art stuff and Kuta has a lot of clothing stores (mostly surf wear).

You must enjoy the cafe culture in Kuta 0 VERY nice!!!
happy.gif
many internet cafes which (to me) are more hip than Singapore cafes. They have a lot of style in them. Very laid back.

You will enjoy Bali - nice place to relax and unwind.

jenjen

thanks girlfriend and sharon for ur responses...

yes, it's my first time there...

sharon, i'm wondering if $80 is steep or cheap for a day's rate? will they know where to bring you or we have to tell them where we wanna go?

slow

I don't think $80 is steep - I think it is ok lah. And the drivers are very familiar with the island so I believe should not be a problem to just tell them to recommend where to go. Of course it would be much better if you can name a few places eg Tanah Lot, Mt Kintamani, Ubud etc.

Anyway, best to go to the bookshop and take a peep at the guidebooks there on Bali. Lots of pointers and tips for you to note.

Even better, go buy an Eyewitness guide on Bali (if there is one). Eyewitness is one of the best guides I have come across.

Have fun!!
happy.gif

girlfriend

jen,

u will be able to pick up some guidebooks & day tour contact nbrs when u touched down.

Based on the day tour recommendations, u can roughly knw which are the tourist attractions.

Most probably your hotel transfer tour guide will ask u if you are interested to join their day tour. $80 for one day tour is not expensive. If i m not wrong, the charges are around USD$50 for a day tour.

drizzlingday

Hi all

Gong Xi fa cai

Wish to check if anyone stay in novotel coralia benoa before? Is is located in Tanjung Benoa..

It is near to the shopping/clubbing area? Planning to go in feb/Mar is is a gd time?

Appreciate all feedback.

Thks a lot