"An Chuang (安床)"

daintyaqua

Does the an chuan custom requires that the bridal bed have to be new?
my hubby is thinking of exchanging his super-single size bed with his mom who sleeps alone in her queen size bed. he will only buy new mattress & bed sheets. i will be staying with his family after AD.
his mom actually wanted us to get a new bed frame & all but he thought its a waste of money when his mom's bed is in good cond.
in addition, his mom is also sick (terminal cancer) so actually i am apprehensive about this but i did not want to upset him.

will be helpful if those who have had this process can advise me on this. many thanks!

luvz17

Hi Dainty,

For what i know..the younger generations nw doesn't really care about getting new bed. New bedsheet is a must.
But then, i personally feel that if you feel uneasy taking over the bed, then maybe you want to consider buying a new one instead.

daintyaqua

hi luvz17,
thanks for sharing. i think if its not necessary for the bridal bed to be brand new then its ok lah. i dont wish to cause any unhappiness after all marriage is all about giving & taking.
i just thought if its a tradition or custom to get a new bridal bed then we follow suit, otherwise, it does not matter.

luvz17

No prob.
I was told by the ladies from the shop I bought all the an chuang thingy. SHe said old custom needs new bed. But nowadays, youngster already sleep on the bed after rom etc..as long as new bedsheet is used, it is okay already

jewelnjack

I read the thread here that almost everyone who AC cannot sleep on the bed until wedding day right? My MIL was kind of weird cos she say it doesnt matter....we can still sleep on it after AC. Then wats the point to AC if i can still sleep on the bed after AC, then wats the point to get a new bed set right? Anyone of you encounter such weird MIL as mine?

kv24

can some one sent me the ANgchuan procedures too ?? [email protected]

my new house is ready this week and i will be sleepin on our new mattress (ours is platform bed) after our renovation. My AD is in Oct 09. Will have a AC before we first slp on our bed which our FSM say is for luck of the hse.. while AC for AD is for babies?? is it true?? Do we raelly cant slp on it after AD AC Date?

For me i feel tat now we younger generation normally will have slept together le befoer AD... So AC sounds very "fake" if just to pray or wat for babies is only a tradition practice. I think sleepin together still after AC is ok for me.. since we two will have totally moved over by then..if don slp on our Bed then slp on Floor?? but not Slp together during eve of AD ba.. new Bedsheet set is just a "feel" tat its a new life or day for newly weds ba... but quite pointless too.. wat you gers feel/advice?

luvz17

Hi Kervin,

From my experience, when I got my new mattress, we slept on it which was placed on the floor. When my bedroom set came in later, we placed the mattress on the bed frame but the bed frame was not pushed against the wall..leaving a little gap there.

An Chuang date is usually chosen about 1-3 days before AD as we are not allowed to touch or sleep on the bed after that..For Good Luck and Blessing, I guess. In fact, to be on the safe side, we locked the room. On An Chuang day itself, my parents in law pushed the bedframe against the wall, changed the bedsheet and place those items that we bought. Can't remember exactly what they are, but I think it consists of red dates, longan, ruler, oranges, coins and more....

It is really depends.. Everyone has their own idea. We are just following the tradition in a more flexible way. What I can suggest is...you may still sleep on the mattress but instead of placing them on the platform bed, you may need to place it at some other room on the floor. On An Chuang day, new bedsheet is a must. If you are not sure, you can just go to shops @ Chinatown and ask for their advice.

Hope this helps

zbb_berry

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing everything about this an chuang thing... i've never heard of this activity till my MIL gave me a piece of paper with all the important dates then only i know of the an chuang. Haha sounds silly right? Anyway...

Can pls send me a copy of the an chuang procedures too? Thanks.. [email protected]

mrs_kan

Hi all,

Need your advice on an chuang issue. The dates given by the shifu i consulted can be used by AD, guo da li and an chuang. Recently we just realised that the nearest date for an chuang is end of oct 09, which is like one mth b4 my AD. The shifu has advised that the an chuang stuff can be cleared within the same day and after that my HTB can sleep on the bed till our AD.

Can I change the bedsheet before AD since it will be in used for about a mth after the an chuang? It will be quite dirty if we cannot change it. Anyone has the encounter the same problem?

heal

i think the procedure you can google online starjoy
happy.gif

u1c0l3

need some advice.... suppose to stay with MIL after AD but my mum health not gd. so we will be staying @ my mum house most of the time. can i an 2 bed @ the same date and time???
i heard from ppl must an the bed which sleep more often...

lovingyou

I don't think we can do "An Chuang" for 2 beds. I will suggest jus do it at your MIL's place, as you will be staying there in a way. Discuss with 2 sides and see what their preference.

heppyman

Em... any idea the day after "an chuan" what is the next process? I mean on the fruits/foods which is laying on the bed.... do the couple have to eat it up or????

virtual

Hi, anyone interested to get the wedding bedsheets? We can collate our orders to get bulk discount. Imported from London &amp; comes with comforter instead of the usual quilt cover. Entire set for only $100+. Can email me <[email protected]>. Thks!

joyle_t

Hi BTBs, was looking thru' the new Blissful Brides magazine and saw this webby.

Included procedures for 过大礼 (Betrothal),壓床 (Bed Setting), å«å¦† (Dowry),上头 (Hair Combing) etc..

Found it to be a more enriching webby than an e-shop. Explains procedures for different dialects too! Not too sure about their products cos' not quite near any of the processes yet.

http://www.goldenhappiness.com.sg/

sunrise08

Is it really necessary to An Chuang? We'll be staying at our parent plc after the wedding and dun intend to buy new bed. Will only buy when we got our new hse.

Pls advise.

denisekuan

hi all,

here is my prob. HTB shares room with his brother. i have my own room to myself. but i cant AC in my own house cause im suppose to be married out. house will only come like 3 years later. can i AC when my new house comes? my wedding is 15 jan 2011.. ):

joyle_t

denise>> but where u gg to stay once u're married? for me i think it does not matter where u an-chuang as long as it is the bed that you both gg to share?

denisekuan

hi joyle,

we will just stay as per normal what we have been doing now? like weekdays i will stay at my own place and weekend will go over to his side??

thats why we were thinking of AC only after we get the house? anyone done that before?

bluemit

Wat my FS master told me was I can still do AC for the new bed @ my HTB's place...he can sleep on the bed after our customary

denisekuan

hey leyash.

i am just gonna get a new mattress for his size since its single bed as he is sharing room, with his bro.

and for my size i wld just get a new bedsheet. :)
i guess its just for the traditions. so i think at least by doing so, its still complying with the culture. HEH

ahgirl_

hi, may i know is it a MUST to buy a new bed for an chuang cos me n my husband have slpt on the bed in our hse.. so am nt too sure whether is it a must to buy a new bed or just to buy a new bedsheets can le..

thanks for ur advise

thiasy

no need new bed..on Anchuan day, just rearrange the mattress.. then rearrange back during the auspicious timing.

I also using old one. haha.. just change new bedsheet can liao. hehe..

ahgirl_

hi avatar82: u oso using old bed?? u means n u ur partner have stayin together le?
is it.. but how come some say have to buy new bed..

if rearrange the mattress means shift the mattress abit den an chuang?? den put on new bedsheets? its that ar? what u mean by rerrange back during the auspicious?
abit blur n lost in this area..
thanks for advise again!

michecwy

MY FS Master was saying no need new bed (he is more modern master) but mummy wants us to get a new matress, however, my bf's mattress is single size, so needless to say, we are getting a new mattress. =)

thiasy

Xue: Me and my HTB not staying together lah. I'm the only child, so i occupy 2 rooms in my hse. One of my room have a queen size bed.. so just use that one lor.

Yup.. just shift and tilt the mattress to another position. when it reach the auspicious time, shift it back to original position and put on new bedsheet. hehe...

ahgirl_

michelle: oic.. my mil oso said no need to buy just buy a new set of bedsheets
hmmm...

avatar: oic.. do u place anything on the bed during the process? like those candy? red da tes? etc etc