AD before Flat?

monkie

oh i see... its a WIS / balloting kind like mine.
i just get in Feb 07.

i am in 656X u? 661X right?
too bad u can't receive PM, but u can PM me ur contacts...heee

maydeline

656X there now doing the construction right? somewhere near the kopitiam.. but a few years later,there will have MRT liao... dun worry...
oh yours is WIS one ah..no wonder..that time my bf haven propose,so dunno got the WIS exercise haha... u move in liao isit??

monkie

hi maydeline
the construction is the MRT station.
ours is the last 2 batch that has WIS. the last batch for WIS is 20/02/07 that release of mature estate. this is the WIW that is a wake up call for HDB to revamp their flats application process..so is the birth of balloting exercise.

i not move it, will only do so after customery.

monkie

my housewarming is over liao.. in september.
our house has been empty for 5 years..so my hubby believe in "warming" the house before we move in.

sparkless

Hi all,

I am thinking of renting a place if the wedding takes place before new flat is ready.

Besides considering the cost involved, what other factors have to be considered? I mean, i read thru all the postings, all seem to be living with in-laws while waiting. What are your views on rental?

maydeline

wow cynthia,
5 years ah? actually oso ok,ask many ppl to go new house to increase the 'ren qi' b4 moving in...

twin fairy,
actually if either side still has room for u n your spouse to stay,then y the need to rent? extra cost...

sparkless

hi maydeline,

because i dun wan to spoilt my "own market". The plan of getting our own place is a definite. Having his mum to stay with us is confirmed. So before new flat is ready, and we are married, and i am already staying with his mum, then there will never be a "er ren shi jie" time.

also, if i move in and stay with her, and she is used to have a say, then when we have our own place, she will also want to have a say. if my relationship with her is harmonious now, i dun want to risk it because we are going to live together for a very long time.

i know the cost of rental is high, i still want to hear some opinions on why couples choose to rent or not rent. Is cost the only factor in consideration?

chubby_ting

Hi twin fairy, I tot of that also.. but HB objected.. saying its too costly.. I am also staying with ILs while waiting 4 my flat to be done...

I tink now rent flat nt cheap also...

monkie

hi twin fairy,
to rent a place is very costly. i am thinking, since you are going to move in with your in laws, then its better to get used to living with them ASAP. after a period of "er ren shi jie", you may not used to living with in laws after that. it might as well start off your marriage with your in laws first?

another thing you can do to build a better r/ship is to spend more time with them. if your parents do not object, you can conside spending your weekends over their place as a mental preparation of what your are going to expect after marriage.

sparkless

Hi

thanks for the comments. i still have a strong doubt that i should move into their house (if wedding comes before the flat). Firstly, his sister still staying with them. The morning toilet usage is a problem. I stayed once overnight and went work from his place and his sister was late for work because of the morning toilet time. That time, my bf was on leave that day. So I couldnt imagine if everyone in the house needs to use the toilet around the same time, it will be chaotic.

So from then on, I avoid staying there if I know the sister is working next day.

Secondly, the mother is calling all the shots at home. No re-arranging of furniture without her consent. I won't be too happy if she brings this habit over to our new place in future.

Thirdly, the mother doesn't use the washing machine. She handwashes everything. This is quite tough for me. Basically, the living habit is different. It will be easier to tell her after new flat is done up and rules are established by us, than moving in and disagreeing with her.

However, I think if we opt to rent than moving in, there will be unhappiness too. It will never be a decision that can please all parties.

sparkless

My married friend told me that being a daughter-in-law, whatever displeasures the mother-in-law commented, just one ear in one ear out. I guess staying with old folks, is really not taking all comments to heart.

chubby_ting

Ya I agree also.. its not ez definitely! But sometimes life left u with no choice.... Haiz... but beta than cannot AD bcoz of flat.. I have been postponing my AD due to flat so now LL have to AD 1st stay @ HB hse then move out....

kitty_princess

I'm having my rom and AD next year sep.. but we are not going to get a flat so soon cos don't have money now.… my fiance says got to wait for a few years. so next year after AD have to move into his house. he's living with his mum only. haiz... think of it feel so dreadful... well overall his mum quite ok lah, not fantastic though…but i can foresee trouble next time… worse thing is my fiance wants his mum to live with us if we have a new flat in the future...
sad.gif
I'm thinking after AD like one of the lady over is doing, mon to thurs at fiance's home, then fri to sun at my own house.. cos i'm the only child so my parents will miss me initially... but like that very troublesome..cos it's not for 1 year but for i think for over 12 years. cos my fiance wants our future kids to finish pri sch (near his home) then move headache.. now feel quite depressing when i think about it.

sparkless

I am back again. With the same old problem- Housing.

I just feel that my wedding depends so heavily on the factor whether we have a chance to ballot for a new flat. It seems quite a lousy excuse to put off the wedding plan but ....

Rental is expensive now. Re-sale needs too much cash. Balloting no luck. Staying at his old place inconvenient.

Dunno what to do.....

milky_kio

hello.. me new to this thread!! but ya same here.. might be moving into in-laws house first but scare later conflict leh.

Unable to ballot any new flats too...really hope resale can go down.. at least 1 more choice for us...

newly15

everybody have the same problems.. Housing and staying with IN-LAWS.
I will be having my ROM on June. Have not decide to buy a flat yet. Currently, my fiance is staying over my place, so already get used to it already. My Fiance's father even suggested that we should buy a at least 4 room flat to stay together than he will rent out their current flat..Oh my god. His father is those "everything must know, everything wants to control". I also can forseen that next time if really staying together will be misery.

mscupid11

hey gals, here comes another troubled one with housing issue.. me having AD in feb 09, still havent gotten a flat.. have been trying for more than 1 yrs liao, but no luck with balloting.. now just have to wait for resale COV to fall and if this is not happpening this yr, then most likely have to move in with in-laws first, then see how...

me not intending to try BTO lor.. dat is gona take so long.. i cant imagine staying with my in-laws for 4 yrs! for those who are looking at resale, can consider punggol/sengkang.. used to be asking for min $20k COV last yr, but recently i've got some calls from property agents that the COV is ard $15k negotiable.. but i tink it will fall further, coz agents running out of cash-rich buyers.. we just gotta be patient..

jy27

Hi all,

My AD will be in mar 09. Currently waiting for our flat under BTO which we think shd be coming in late 2009 or in 2010.

Therefore, will have to stay at my HTB current flat after the wedding.

I would like to ask if there is a need to procure all new furniture for our temp bedroom for the wedding as our intent is to purchase all new when we shift into the new flat?

jy27

Hi Cynthia,

My HTB has already got a queen size bed. The bed and mattress still looks relatively new. So was thinking wait till the new flat comes then get new bed. What is lacking in the room now is a wardrobe and dressing table.

Any idea if this is any traditional custom? Or is there any tradition meaning behind it?

twas

hi all, my bto will only be ready in 2012. Thus, my FH and myself will straddle between my place and his place since my wkplace is near my house. When i got my flat in 4 years time, i should be preparing to have a baby.. thus we cannot enjoy the new flat as a couple. sigh..

milky_kio

valerie> i think some of us facing that as well.. i was even joking to my HTB one day that maybe we will keep staying in his current place till the baby pops out!

jojy

Hi,

I will AD before my flat ready too, AD 21/11/09 & flat ready only 2010 or 2011.

But I guess I'm still lucky coz it's my HB that is living with my parents instead the other way round. Coz he's sharing room with his elder bro now, hence we got an excuse. keke...

Even though her mum not really happy, but this is the only way out except to rent which is high cost.

angelite

just sharing my two pence... a few of my expat colleagues expressed his surprise of how, largely speaking, singaporeans laid the relationship milestones with the acquiring of a house (flat/condo/house, whatever) as the mark of maturity that the relationship ready for marriage. I do share the opinion that such a mindset is not neccessarily a good thing...

sparkless

I beg to differ. While there are some that might actually see acquiring a property as a benchmark for the next big step in their relationship, i think for most of us, having our own place is a big factor to consider while planning to get married.

Even staying with either set of parents require careful consideration. With the property prices gone crazy now, i will not be surprised that there are couples that might actually put on hold their wedding, NOT because they cannot get their own places mean that they are not ready to be committed to each other for the rest of their life.

angelite

twinfairy,
what you said about putting on hold of the marriage because of non-committal is true, but the more worrisome would be those who went ahead to marry in order to secure a house, with regards to new flats..

jadeite

Don't know if this thread is still alive, but COV is dropping and will drop further by end of the year... bought my place already. Though we ended up paying about 15k COV but we picked a place that is nicely done up already. We did see a lot of places, some are really quite nice - and COV ranging from -$5k to about $10k, most selling at valuation - zero cash.

domo

all> my AD is in Oct 09, my flat will be ready in end 2011. gotta stay with in-laws plus my HTB's brother.
dunno whether can i survive.

comatised

Hi Jo!

My AD also in Oct and think we might have to stay with my parents until we finally decide on a place. But I think it'll be easier for me cos it's my home...think my FH might need to adapt abit.

Can one....just have to be accommodating and understanding and ren ren ren!
happy.gif

Cheers!

domo

Lai> i guess generally for guys are easier... they adapt things faster than gers. gers are normally more picky.

Glenda> i also told my FH that after the wedding, we stay in our respective house first.. till our hse are ready. but he dun like this idea..

eeyorex

AD in Sep 2010 but flat will only be ready 2012...

have to stay at htb's for at least 2 yrs.. but I will be moving back to my own hse occasionaly...

initially I wanted to have AD after getting our flat, but by then, I will be almost 30 liao.. and all the expenses on flat and wedding will be very tough for us..

flyingstar

eeyorex...this is true

our flat also only ready in 2012...but we decide to hold the wedding next year also. nowadays the prices of banquets and everything is increasing, it's so scary.

we also did not want to have to spend all the money one shot on both wedding and house, sure to have lots of conflicts and will create undue stress on us.

however we don't know what's the plan after marriage...wanted to stay apart but my mom is strongly against it. but we shall see later.

lettingo

currently Hubby is staying with me at my house like Mon Wed Friday like tat...
we had our AD on 16 jan 09, over liao
then our flat only ready in 2011 3rd quarter....

w3ngal

guess if we get married earlier than the flat is ready, my htb may stay with me cause his flat is too pack with his siblings. wont be renting flat outside since my house got room. so is fine. dont really have the flat problem to headache with at the moment.

sparkless

We have 7 months left before our wedding. And we still haven't got our own place.

of course I'm concerned but we also won't want to rush into buying a property.

mooncloud

Looks like everyone having the same prob. I getting my flat end 2013. Even worse... wanted to procrastinate the wedding but my HTB much older than me. So well... got to compromise. So my AD prob end 2010 or early 2011 (trying to convince him that a few mths wun matter). Will be staying with my in-laws i suppose. So far so good coz i do stay over during the week. But i forewarn my HTB that on occasions that i suddenly go crazy and cannot take the stress, I will go home for a short stay. Our house so near each other anyway. He seems ok. So well... hope everything works ok. But i also foresee myself getting pregnant before my flat comes. Super sian that i cannot enjoy a flat of my own. Got noisy kids running abt.

sparkless

there's good news for those who haven't got their flat. Reported in news yesterday the resale HDB prices are dropping. Hooray!

We are going to resume our house hunting soon!

glenda

Hi Jo and tulips, sorry for the late reply...
we do not want to give ourselves too much stress having to handle AD and flat at the same time...so we do AD first, so when the flat comes, we just settle the flat...also easier for us financially =)

glenda

both me and my hubby have decided that since we make this decision, we will stand firm with it...sometimes cant be too bothered with what others said....

We already ROM 2yrs ago and also stayed separately till now...i know some of my friends they moved in 2gether right after ROM...

So long as both my hubby and I am ok and comfortable with this arrangement then still ok lor...

sparkless

think this is quite a typical problem in sg. want to get married but no flat. so is either booked the flat early or wait 2-3 yrs for the new flat to build up.

kinda kill the romance, i would say...

jasline_dream

Hi Everyone,

I also having my AD on this yr Oct..
Same as most of them, I have to wait for my flat & is ready only in end 2012 or early 2013... Well in the meantime aft the wedding dinner, have to live with in-laws.. Haiz... actually i'm kind of stress & worry... Living together is not so easy... =( But wat to do!!! Haiz!!

However there is also gd & bad pt, if AD & house come together will be super stress.. cos will be super tight budget... Unless u have the $$ or rich... *wink

So my hubby & I was thinking having our dinner this yr, in the mean time of waiting for flat in this 2 3 yrs, we can save $$ again for renovation... Like this won't be so tight budget... =P

But i do agree of wat Tulips(twinfairy) said,
"kinda kill the romance, i would say..."

Juz a piece of sharing only.. wink!!... =)