6.5 or 7 kg front load washer, which model is good?

sunnysun

Hi,

I'm a newbie to front loading washer. After the rinse cycle, is it possible to drain out the water into a pail for recycling purpose? Thanks.

swthippy

washer + dryer...i got it from Courts 2 weeks ago, Sanyo brand 6.5kg, promotion $999...not sure if still available. maybe u can drop by and check it out.

jacyn

hi, i read from the postings that there is 'handwash' function. May I know how does it work? Is it the same as gentle wash function?

thanks.

ridhwan82

its even gentler than the delicate wash function. There is additional water, less agitation and i think no interim spin and also lower final spin speed.

farrakllivecouk

The Samsung WF448AAW is among the most highly rated front-loading washers in professional tests. It has a very large 4.5-cubic-foot capacity and includes features including steam washing, vibration-reduction technology and sound dampening. It also includes Samsung's SilverCare technology, which kills 99.9 percent of odor-causing bacteria. Samsung is currently conducting tests in cooperation with the Environmental Protection Agency to determine whether the technology poses any risks. If you want a front-loader but don't want to spend so much, consider the Amana NFW7200TW (*est. $650), a smaller, less expensive washer.

moaoyo

Hi all,

I am also considering a washer and dryer machine. Which brand has dryer function button located at the lower end of the machine? Cos' I am thinking of stacking the dryer on top of the washer.

Please advise.

ridhwan82

the only dryer that i know that the control can be inverted over is fisher and paykel.

Unfortunately the dryer dimensions is slightly smaller that the standard 60 x 60 width of typical front load washer and hence no stacking kit will fit the dryer. The only solution is to buy the rubber friction round thingy and stick it on the underneath of the dryer to prevent it from "dancing" above the dryer. but it does not guarantee it from not falling off the top of the washer.

Actually i shouldt think that it should pose any problem with the normal dryer. stacking height is not that high that you canot reach the controls.

Cheers

satinchris

Hi all

Is a 8kg front-load washer too big for 2 persons? We will need to wash king-sized bedsheets and quilt once in a while.

We were recommended Electrolux EWF1082 (8kg) and EWF1073 (7kg).

Thanks.

ridhwan82

depends on how you look at it. If you are looking to expand the family then i would think its okay. But in the beginning have to contend with living that you might probably be washing with maybe say half to 3/4 load most of the time? cos if not the clothes will be in the laundry basket for way too long for your comfort.

king sized quilt? hmm.... i have my reservations for those though. i know electrolux have recommended for those machines to wash comforter etc.

but if you are seriously juyst looking for buying bigger capacity simply to accomodate the quilt then i would think its a little too big.

But with my earlier statement if its an initial investment in preparation for expansion then i think its okay. just have to bear in mind that you might not get full load very very often.

And because front load washer if you get the mid to high range ones they will adjust the time and the water consumption according to the load so i still think its okay.

satinchris

Thanks ridz! I suppose we still need to consider more factors before we come to a decision.

Btw, I posted for help in the Oven thread and saw that you are the resident expert. Wonder if you can help with my oven questions?
http://www.singaporebrides.com/cgi-bin/forumboard/show.cgi?409/340415

Many thanks, and I really appreciate it!
happy.gif

ridhwan82

oh yeah it also depends if you are very partiocular about washing quality. because if you are then when you sort out the clothes the load will be come lesser.

Like for me i wash working shirts and pants seperately from towels, which are seperated from the whites which are seperated from the one that is everyday wear.

Then you have to consider quality built of washer. you might want to cvonsider budget as an issue. And also the type of washing priogramme you would require.

satinchris

Hi ridz,

My requirements:
- hopefully not exceed $1.1 - $1.2k.
- only for the 2 of us initially, but kids may come in the next 1-2 yrs.
- can wash king-size bedsheets and curtains (no more quilt as I suddenly remembered I have a new silk quilt and that doesn't require washing).
- saves water and energy

Many thanks for your help! : )

ridhwan82

oh yes one final thing.

What are the washing cycles that you have in mind that you need. e.g. silk? etc.

In fact with your budget of 1.1-1.2 you can open up your options to 7kg washers as well and there are many options to go.

And how important is extendedwarranty to you. As extended warranty can only be purchased in big superstores like best and harvey norman.

If say you are okay with just the basic 1 year warranty then its okay.

Cos prices in other stores can be lower than superstores but drawback is that they dun have extended warranty programme.

e.g. a electrolux dryer - auto sensing 7kg may cost 899 in superstores then you add 10% to that price to extend warranty to 5 years.

But if you were to get outside. it may cost like probably $772? but you get standard 1year warranty only. see the difference.

satinchris

The extended warranty part, I understand. Neighbourhood stores doesn't offer that.

We don't really have silk items to wash, maybe only 1-2 such items once in a while. But I need a gentle cycle coz I handwash some of my clothes at the moment. Hopefully with the new washer, I can throw in my bras... haha.

ridhwan82

but do you have qualms with having just a 1 year warranty? because if you are okay with 1 year warranty it can mean a difference between getting a higher end model with more features but within your budget.

Whereas if extended warranty is an option. then with the budget something like a mid range washer will be within reach while the higher ones just slightly out of reach.

In fact you would not go wrong with bosch or electrolux.

both are relatively reliable, and both has arguable points.

I personally like the full stainless steel drum (inclding omega beaters) in the bosch machines. electrolux uses plastic omega beaters.

Bosch door catch is a plastic one while the electrolux are metal catch. durability between the two questionable. because it really depends on usage.

as for door hinge both are okay to me.

Both outer drum are plastic tub material, stainless steel drum preferred though the only one in the market to have it is miele now.

other than that its just looking at the Spin speed - a cost to washer price. higher spin speed means higher price. but higher spin speed means better if you have dryer, cos clothes comes out with less residual moisture and hence will consume lesser electricity and time in the dryer.

and also looking at the wash options like quick wash, etc. and of course type fo wash programme.

ridhwan82

well where its made in will give you the biggest clue. Also in terms of front loading, they are not that renowned. Also build constructions not convincing and sturdy.

though the number of programmes seems pretty good.

jas180583

Hi ridz, you are really an expert! Have you heard abt Samsung washers? Any idea if they are good? Especially those with the diamond drum?

I'm keen in a 7.5kg, up to 1200rpm, rated excellent in water efficiency & selling at $769.

ridhwan82

i would say that the diamond drum isnt one of the smoothest drum in the market. in fact the standard microhole drums are better. also the construction for the drum isnt good.. though the door hinge is okay.

I have yet to see it in action to evaluate its agitation and machine programming.

Overall if you are paying 769 for samsung.

No doubt if you are looking at the specs its better.

But i would think that a 7kg bosch machine 12060 wth 800rpm at 879 would be a better deal.

Or even electrolux with the 850 rpm 7kg

jas180583

Hi ridz, thank you for the reply. Actually, what is the diff between 800 rpm to 1000rpm or even higher rpm? If I'm not wrong, it means how dry your clothes will be after washing right? But the salesperson told me that higher rpm means clothes will be more messy & crumpled. Is that true? What is the min. rpm for S'pore usage?

ridhwan82

the difference being in like what you said. how much drier your clothes will be. as in the residual moisture on the clothes.

Well not exactly true that the higher the rpm the more messier n crumpled though there are some truth in it. but it should affect that much.

It is more pertinent if you are going to use a dryer. Because. the higher the spin speed. the lesser water that is left. the shorter the time spent in the dryer hence the lesser the cost of you to operate the dryer.

E.g. If you spin clothes at say just 6kg of cltohes

Spun at 800 rpm.. your residual moisture could be about 70% time : 100 mins electricity abt 3.7kwh thats about 86cents to dry that load.

Spun at 1000rpm residual 60% time 89 mins electricity 3.3kwh costs 77cents

spun at 1400rpm residual 50% time: 78mins electricity 2.85 costs 66 cents.

In the long run using a washer with a higher rpm will cost you less in the dryer.

I would reckon go as high as possible. the standard seem to point at 1000rpm. but well mine spins at 1400 pretty happy but of course if can the higher the better.

but do take note that not all fabrics can take high spin speeds. usually cottons are okay to as high as possible, but delicates like silk is between 600 -900... denim i think also up to 900 and delicates typically up to 600 so depends.

jas180583

ridz, really appreciate your informative reply!
Btw, for machines designated rpm for different fabric material for eg, delicate, cotton & etc. Can I adjust the rpm manually to lower? Or the designated rpm for different fabric material are fixed & there cannot be any manual changes on my part?

ridhwan82

usually for most washers. the spin speed is automatically capped at the highest that the fabric can tolerate. e.g. if you your machine is 1000rpm machine.

you select cotton, by default it will select the final spin speed as 1000rpm. But if you select delicate, it will select prob 600 or 900 rpm depending on machines.

of course if you wash cotton and want to spin say 600 you can choose just that the max it will allow you to choose is 1000.

if you select delicate and the limit is 900 you can choose to spin at 300 or 500 or 600 but you cant select 1000 it will be disallowed.

usually the higher end models of each product line will allow for more customisation.
like eletrolux for example. the low end range of machines can spion at max 850. but there is only a spin reduction button which means if you press that it will spin at 550 that is the only selection.

but if you buy the higher end machines you can choose variable spin speed meaning ranging from 100 to 1000rpm.

so this is another thing to consider with continental style washers. more choices more costs.

jas180583

ridz, need your advice again... I will be using CityGas's Dryer. In that case, is higher rpm relevant to me since I think gas is cheaper than electricity right?

thommy

ridz: thanks for the informative reply! I got my Samsung 6.5kg front load liao, latest model, 499 only
happy.gif

just curious, do u happen to be a washing machine salesman? ur knowledge is certainly impressive!

jasmine: tot electricity shld be cheaper than gas?

ridhwan82

of course it does. No matter what. for dryer the consumption is definitely higher.

Though its cheap but that is also because of the fact that the tariff of the gas is lower than electricity. But also the gas prices has been on the rise the gap is no longer as wide as it used to be.

One of the things that i dont like about the citygas dryer is because of its lacking in features.

I just wished sometimes that miele bring in their gas operated dryers. but unfortunately not.

ridhwan82

Top load I'm presuming That you are referring to Asian top load. Well yes I must say wash wise it's cleaner and of course less stress on the fabric due to nature of clothes agitation methods. Water wise front load uses much less and electricity wise it's both comparable on cold wash modes.

jo_chua

Thanks Ridz.. me and my hubby still arguing.. He wants a front load and I wanted a top load.. Can add on clothes before wash u see.. haha.. I am looking at a Samsung Top Load... Is the diamond drum good?

ridhwan82

WEll you can both compromise.

Get a Top Loading mAchine that is washing continental style like front load known as continental top load. GO look for brandt, bosch, thomson (champion in this area) and also electrolux.

THough i would stick to thomson or brandt.

So yeah. You can still add onn clothes for both front and top load (continental, though not advisable as the load sensing will not be adjusted according to load but most likely adjusted to full load.

ridhwan82

should go best denki or harvey norman. i dunno why but im more comfortable with the salesperson at the first two versus courts. anyway

not saying that best and hvn is very very good lah but better. i must say so.

ridhwan82

i would go for fisher and paykel. personal preference. it has as central agitator and a bit more cleaner. And of course the spin speed of 1000 is pretty okay. and 2 years warranty by fisher paykel and 5 years for rust i think. GWC12