York Hotel

jiamin_loh

Diana - If your budget is below $800/table - you can actually try Orchard Hotel. My sister wedding was held there in Year 2000 - hotel is grand and the location is convenient too...By the way, your wedding is Oct'06 right???

butterang

oh orchard hotel also not bad..they have high pillars n the ambience is very very nicen romantic... one thing no good is that..if there ballrooms are all fully booked.. u will see alot of brides standing outside the reception area..if u dont mind abt this.. then i think that place is quite ideal too ..
happy.gif

jiamin_loh

Butterang - wow, the place so hot huh???

Just asking ok, how much did you set aside for your wedding that time bcos me working on my budget for 25-26 tables @ York Hotel...

faith_faith

ya ya ya!! i went to look at orchard hotel too, it's very nice, and they have some special lighting thingy.
samantha, butterang's saying that IF all the ballrooms are booked...
coz the ballrooms are quite near one another, so the cocktail area is kinda close together.
Same as Westin ballrooms. saw 3 brides n 3 cocktail receptions side-by-side!

jiamin_loh

faith faith - actually their offer is consider good but weekend package is quite expensive...I was thinking of having it at Orchard Hotel at first but final decision still York Hotel cos my FH like the place (have seen the location liao)...

faith_faith

yay, welcome to the york hotel club ;)

samantha, my fren who's helping me with e wedding is away on reservist for 3 weeks, so i won't be able to send you the "wedding prep template" so soon...sorry arh..but no worries, nothing much to do for now already. plenty of time

september

samantha, i hv check Orchard hotel liao their price hv increase so for weekend their package is over $800/table liao...hee hee...so who is ur co-ordinator?

my hubby and me prefer amara hotel bcoz the ballroom hv private foyer (bigger) for our guest who arrived early for cocktail to mingle ard...for us york ballroom is nt ideal too small so our guest may nt hv space to mingle ard during cocktail...but we are beri attracted by the rates and perks...still considerating nw...but amara no free flow of beer waiting for their wedding show nex month coz understand tat free flow are usually throw in during wedding show...

butterang

hi samantha.. yes..orchard hotel is also one of the hot spots.. but i also feel ex . ..
for a hotel reception ..better to set aside maybe 2-3k in case the ang paos cannot cover your hotel expenses.. n it also depends on the hotel u choose.... for eg if u r going for 4 seasons hotel .. n both sides of your guests are mostly from the middle/ slightly below average income families.. n they come in a family of 5 ... the ang pao they give .. say at most $200 .. n your table is abt 1k ..so per head abt 100 rite.. so how are you going 2 cover your expenses? for cases as such these couples have 2 set aside more ....
if u r going 2 go for york hotel .. i think 2-3k to set aside is a safe amt.. unless your relationship with pple is reallie bad.then u have 2 come up with more...
the rest of the money to be paid to the hotel ..either u pay by credit card( call credit card company to increase limit on your actual day) or cash ... you can nego with the coordinator to pay cash upon check out the next day ..

thanks faith for correcting what i had written
happy.gif

butterang

oh ..recently i went to a wedding at amara.. the ambience is not 2 bad as well ...grand reception area... the table is abt 600++ .. mayb 700 per table..something like that... u can also arrange for a long march in ... that means your stage is not in the middle.. its at the side..rectangular arrangement..this depends on individual. ...
york hotel is more of 60s - 70s ..the things abit old.. they have the chantelier ligthings 2 boost abt oonly .. heeee ..other than that the price also attracts pple..

jiamin_loh

Diana - I never enquire with Orchard Hotel, my sister held her wedding there before so I find the ambience good...

Butterang - I think for wedding, we are prepared to lose a few $K but no choice lah unless the dinner is held at the restaurant...A few friends of mine held their wedding at a restaurant (they told me after settling for all bills, they still have excess few thousand $ lor)...

I think most couples dun mind splurging more on expensive wedding banquet as marriage is once in a life time - this is what I think lah...

september

samantha, for me to say, i will tink bride will nt mind coz the more grand the wedding is the more happy we are as we view this as more memoriable but nt for the groom....coz they hv to come out wif most of the expenses so unless they are really rich or hv oredi set a side a sum of $$ for wedding or if their parent hv help them save their 'lao po ben' if nt it will be siong for the groom...

see, traditionally, the groom is expect to gif the bride family a few table and for these number of table given, the ang bao are for the bride family to keep so the groom hv oredi lose tat few table $$ right from the start. then some bride parent will ask for 'pin jin' (thou alot hv skip this). for some dialect group, the groom family or the groom hv to gif the whole roasted pig and cake for the bride family and relatives....then 'si dian jin' for teochews....open door ang bao for the jie mei, blah blah blah...

then we bride want a honeymoon...so all these are expenses...so tat is why me and my hubby hv set agreed on a budget for banquet (in fact, he wanted someting below $700 or $600) hv to consider his pocket coz me dun hv much saving lor...so cant help him much...

above that, we are gng to renovate our hse soon so all + up we will be broke after the wedding...sob sob...tat explain why we so budget lor...

oops...sori for the long msg...

butterang

samantha - yeap .. its depending on the couple themselves.... but must prepare the money for these expenses.. so if u can afford the money u can choose hotels with good n nice ambience.. n u will have good memories
happy.gif

jiamin_loh

Hi,

Diana - I agree with you unless my FH is very rich, frankly speaking me dun have much savings also and he is actually the one saving for our wedding next year. Everything is $$$ and if we want "Pai Tau" of cos we tend to loogie alot... Furthermore, you still have to fork out $$$ for your renovation & so on...Anyway, have you found someone doing the installation of aircon for you??? My FH is able to give you good price for that bcos our house one is done by him and we save about $500/-... Just let me know if you be interested ok...

ButterAng - I am actually easily satisfied lah but believe that most girls wish to have good memories on their wedding day...or else we will sure to regret when we are old...

september

hi samantha, thks alot for ur offer...my reno is done by my uncle and installation of aircon is also included....so hv u decided on York liao? gd, one ting down...

september

hi samantha, tink we will only move in officially after our AD or a week before AD ba....my reno is only starting soon and after tat we will probably go there during weekend to stay lor...so u moving in ur new hse?

jiamin_loh

Hi,

Actually I have already moved in since last Dec, feeling very different and happy to have our own dream house lor...Why dun you move in after the reno???

september

hee hee we tink tat the feeling will be better if we move in after AD anyway see how lah...mayb we might move in after reno coz we are already paying mah...hee hee

jiamin_loh

Correct, that's what I think at first(I move in immediately after ROM)...

Can you help me ask around cos I have a friend whose pub is closing down soon but still got alot of liquor left (all parallel import). He is offering the below @ a reasonable price:-

Martell - S$85.00 nett
Tequila (Jose) - S$50.00 nett
Vodka (Absolute) - S$50.00 nett
Whisky (Chivas) - S$75.00 nett

I have bought a few bottles from him...If you are interested, please let me know ok and I try nego with him again. Please also ask around if your friends are interested ok.

Thanks
happy.gif

september

hi samantha, ok will help u post it onto the other thread where i usually chat see if those bride to be are interested too....thks for the offer...

september

hi there, me hv take up promotion package from Crown Hotel during the Bliss Wedding Fair....we sign up beri last min..30min to 9pm yesterday....one load off the mind liao...phewz...

jiamin_loh

Hi Diana,

By the way, how much is the package you have signed up???

I have also just confirmed signing up with Bridal Concept last 2 weeks. Actually, someone from the forum is transferring her package to me at a discount of S$500 which I only need to pay S$2,888...

september

hi samantha, Crown weekend package is @ $798/table but at the fair, the promo (additional perks) are

free flow of beer
corkage waiver for all wine (no limitation on no. of bottles
$1000 off total bill

congra...u finally settle ur BS liao...

jiamin_loh

Hi,

Ya, I will be meeting this lady next month so that she can transfer her package to me...So have you settled with the banquet already??? For my case, I will wait till after chinese new year then book for the banquet cos my hubby outstationed leh...keep me updated on your wedding preparation ok...

september

my banquet is more or less settle except tat we are waiting to sign the contract tat all...nw me searching for AD PG and VG lor...

hi carmen, welcome....york was one of my shortlist venue but then me hv sign up wif Crown as i like the ballroom better lor...heehee

jiamin_loh

Carmen - Welcome! So when is your AD???

Diana - so decided already...good (no more headache)...

Can I check with you gals whether you have Kenny G - The Wedding Song in MP3 format (not exceeding 1MB). Please e-mail to [email protected]

Thanks
happy.gif

babyspace

hello ladies

my AD is acutally next month, 17th Dec...
Just found out this forum not too long ago...
Hee..now got only less then two months left, quite excited!

september

hi carmen, congrats...guess u muz be buz preparing for ur AD nw....muz remember to drink more water and hv enough rest so tat on ur AD, u will be a meimei bride...

jiamin_loh

Hi hi...

I have confirmed wedding venue @ Rosemarie Hall, upper lobby level...anyone has got AD photos to show me???

Thanks alot
happy.gif

babygera

Hi anyone have comments on York Hotel food and services?? I'm gonna sign up with them but would like to hear about what we can negotiate with them on the package and how they fair?

jiamin_loh

Hi Geraldine,

It depends on what you want also (have attended my friend's wedding recently and find that the abmbience is quite good and food also not bad), basically they have 3 package range from $558 - $758 (weekend)...I have taken up the $558 classic package but certain perks are not included (eg) seat covers, projection TV and etc...so estimate to be $600+/table if you require all these...Frankly speaking, their rates are quite good compare to some other 4 *stars hotel...You can find out more with Ms Tracy (York Hotel Banquet Manager)@ 68301125, she is a nice and friendly lady...

By the way, when is your AD and you are looking for how many tables???

~panda~

Hi all... I'm also planning for York hotel... their place looks grand and value for money eh? Will meet up the co-ordinator on thurs, she's neither Christine nor Tracy but Cheryl. Hmm, there are so many of them?

My AD is not set, dependent on the dates available for banquet. haha

Have mixed feelings for weddings now. Used to be so touched @ other pples' wedding. Come to my own, feel so stressed. So many things to consider & make decisions for. Worse still.. gonna be so broke after that.

My 1st stop is to settle this banquet.. nothing else done.... hahhaa....

jiamin_loh

Hi Pandora,

Congrats to you! By the way, if you have any questions do feel free to ask...Do keep us updated ok...

Cheers
happy.gif

komi

Hi,

just get to know abt this forum. can anyone give me some comments abt these four hotels? Traders, Phoenix, Rendezvous & York. My wedding is in May. Still considering which hotel to choose. Btw, do i need to make arrangement with the Coordinator before going down to the hotel?

~panda~

Thanks Samantha! I met up with the co-ordinator Tracy yest. She's sweet & friendly, package is good too. But that being our 1st stop, we decided to look ard more. but time is real tight.

This is in the package:
- freeflow soft drinks, mixers
- bottle of wine per table
- corkage waiver for duty free
- 70% cards for confirmed attendance ( excl printing)
- 20% complimentary parking
- 1-night stay in small suite with breakfast
- fruit-cake guest favours
- free seat covers

i can choose to upgrade to a much bigger suite, or get barrel of beer, or have food-tasting for 10 or 1 more night stay...

weekend 658 nett

any views on whether shld i take it up?

~panda~

Hi komi ann,

Is your wedding in May 06 or 07? If 06 then it's quite late, 07 you are in good time. Maybe you wanna read the individual threads for the 4 hotels. Of cuz you are at York now.

What i did was to email/call the places i am interested to get available dates and view their packages. From there we shortlist some that we like & fit our budget & meet up the co-ordinators. Hope that helps? It's better to make arrangemt 1st as they may not be ard or free to go thru package & view place with you.

jiamin_loh

Komi - It depends on how many tables you are looking at cos Phoenix only up to 25 tables and Rendezvous only up to 24 tables...Traders package not bad but slightly expensive...Actually, I have taken into consideration before and that's why choosen York Hotel cos pricing quite reasonable and can accommodate up to 45 tables Max...
happy.gif

Pandora - So you be choosing the Classic package??? Me too, I will be in the Rosemarie Hall...At first, thinking of getting only 20 tables @ $658/table, later increase to 25 tables @ $558/table only...Actually, overall is really reasonable...I suggest you take up cos if compare to some other ballroom, its really worth it...
happy.gif

jiamin_loh

Komi - yes, agreed with pandora if booking for May'06 will be slightly late already...anyway, try to call up these 4 hotels for an appointment but meanwhile ask them to e-mail you the package so you can make comparison...
happy.gif

komi

My wedding is on the 6th of May. I have requested for the wedding package for all the 4 hotels. They reply that the date is still available for booking as of 3 Jan. Hi gals, so what can i do now. So tense up. Know is a bit of last min. Do you think i can still get a ballroom if my first choice is York?

Pandora - when is your date? Is it the same as me?

jiamin_loh

Komi_ann - need to act fast if you decided to shortlist York Hotel...In fact, you only have less than 6 months to prepare everything already...Have you booked your BS, PG & VG??? Feel free to ask me any questions ok...
happy.gif