Orchard Hotel

bride_sept05

Hi ffbear,

i used up the 3 ballrooms in 2005, the max can take up to 90 to 100 tables, but we only used 70 tables.

As for the projector, initally we wanted to borrow projector from my brother in law's office but according to my event planner, he advised me to rent from the hotel, cause if we took from outside it might not match their screen. If rent from hotel, anything happen can get the hotel staff to handle.

springtulip8

Hi all,

Can somebody enlighten me..... Is Christopher a Catering sales (or Banquet) staff who also handles contract signing with the couples? Or is he the banquet captain who does the coordination work on the night of the banquet only?

mehmeh_lim

hi springtulip,

there is a banquet captain who goes by the name of Christopher. I'm not too sure if there's a Christopher as a Catering sales executive, there just might be one.

springtulip8

hi Mehmeh,

Thank you. Do we get to request Christopher to be in-charge on our banquet day? or it depends on our luck who's in charge on that day?

mehmeh_lim

hi SpringTulip,

Hmm, tt i'm not too sure. I was informed by my coordinator when we had a final discussion tt it wld be Christopher. But i think u can request if u really like to have him as the captain..
happy.gif

ffbear

Hi, mehmeh, Janice,
thanks for the reply.. now, recount the list again, total is 31 tables.. BR3 can oni take 32 maximum & ll b cramped.. wont even hv reserved tables.. any sugegstion for me?

oso, do I need to consider the loss impact if we use bigger ballrooms? currently, the stand is: my mum wans 10 tables.. PIL gg to give 8, remaining 2 ll b paid my mum.. mum gets to keep AP for all 10 tables.. so, we oni need to take care of tables for PIL & our own frens.. would we incur higher loss if we go for bigger ballroom?
me very fan hor.. hmm..

bride_sept05

Hi ffbear,

if the AP going to give to your mum, then you might have to take out some money from your own pocket already. For my case, our parent gave everything to us to pay for the tables, lucky that we can cover everything with the APs that we collected.

But if you have the confirm guest lists, maybe you can stand by one table just in case.

If you going to get a bigger ballroom for 32 tables, will OH charge you extra for that? When is your wedding?

ffbear

Hi, Janice,
thanks for the prompt reply..
no leh.. mum keeps all the AP for the 10 tables, but the 10 tables cost ll b paid for by PIL & mum herself. so those 10 tables, no impact on us, I tot.. opps, did I miss anythg?
dunno if OH gg to charge extra for tat.. but we r not willing to pay extra.. kekeke.. AD is end Nov 06..

mehmeh_lim

hi ffbear,

now tt ur table no. stands at 31, do keep in mind tt it wld fluctuate, prob +/- 2 tables. Considering ur AD is in end Nov & it is def a popular period in getting married, so ur guests may actually be selective in attending wedding dinners, ie if they aren't tt close to u, they may not go for urs

In tt sense, i think if u look at 30 + 2 reserves, u're going to be safe. Maybe u cld ask ur coordinator if there's going to be an upcoming wedding which will has 30-ish tables & occupies BR 3? Go down view & see how comfy u are with tt sort of arrangement. I figure with the no. nearing the max, tables can only be at 5-feet & not 6-feet at all

I dun see how u wld incurr more costs if u use BR 1 & 2, the issue now is whether they are available in the 1st place. The only way u can use BR 1 & 2 is tt now, u can confirm with them tt u have 40 tables. If u do confirm for fear tt BR 3 is going to be cramp, and the actual no. dun go anywhere near there when the date draws closer, then u wld incurr more costs (ie pay for the tables which aren't occupied)

bride_sept05

hi ffbear,

what mehmeh said is true. For my case, I had 3 tables as standby but at the end did not utilise at all, in fact some of the tables have empty seats. In fact most of our relatives didnt turn up with the whole family as some of their kids preparing for exam, and our dinner is on weekday and some cannot make it on time.
So you have to look into all this before you confirm the tables. if your confirm guest list is 30 tables then it will be safe for the extra 2 tables.

Those guests that are really close to u will sure attend, the rest of them when nearer to your wedding date, you will need to reconfirm with them again. And Nov is school holiday, so maybe those that not your close relatives or friends, they might plan for holiday.

For what I know, this year a lot of couples getting marry from Oct to Dec.

guinebelle

Hi mehmeh,

I have already sign up with OH and they will contact you directly
kao_biggrin.gif

I din noe tat u are on their video clip!! hehehe

mehmeh_lim

hi Guinebelle,

heheh, thanks for the info!
I did get to do an interview on video for them, but wasn't too sure it wld make it to the show! heheh, I think i was blabbering nonsense! Must be the editing which made the world of difference

guinebelle

Hi mehmeh,

Actually i din noe tat the one in the video is u until they told me abt it!! hehheeh...
n U are definitely not blabbering nonsense or else i dun tink they will even show it lor...

Hi Muffin,

I've booked OH and holding my wedding there next year too!! when is ur big day???

mehmeh_lim

hi muffin,

welcome!!

hi guinebelle,

Which catering sales person talked to u? heheh, wonder how they linked me & the person on the video together? *blur*

Oh yes, when is ur big day??

guinebelle

Hi mehmeh,

i tok to the contact person tat u email me lor...n guessed wat?? The moment i step at the door of the OH booth, the person that step forward and tok to us is her liao!! hahaha so heng! no need to go look for her heheh

Hi muffin,

Mine will be on Feb 11. Have u booked the bridal pkg??

mehmeh_lim

hi guinebelle,

heheh, so cool! It's as though she was lookin for u too! I thot Cleo is quite pretty! heheheh.. Oops, so bo liao hor

Which BS have u booked? I think by abt May-Jun u can really start wedding preps proper.
happy.gif
Which BR are u going to use?

guinebelle

Hi mehmeh,

YA!! i tink she is quite pretty too!! hehhe...
At first when she attend to us, i saw her name tag and i got excited and exclaimed "OH!! so u are Cleo!" Think she got a shock!!
rofl.gif

I haven booked my BS yet.Was looking at Ritz Couture...still considering now lor...any good ones to recommend?

mcfluffy

Hi guinebelle, what bridal package?

anyway, i haven't sign on the contract yet. Mine is the UOB promotion they had during the wedding show. But i confirm book them liao. They will be deducting my deposit today.

What other perks did u ask for? I mean like increasing no. of carpark coupons or anything else?

mehmeh_lim

hi guinebelle,

hahah, praise her tt she's pretty? Maybe u can get more perks!! kekeke
I'm quite sure u gave her a shock.. Think she's quite frenly, so do hope her service in assisting u wld be positive too

What sort of a gown do u like? Dramatic, simple, elegant?
What sort of materials do u prefer? Organza, duchess/silk satin or tulle?

I think RC is famous for it's organza gowns.. I hardly see them doing duchess satin or tulle. But i cld be wrong..

I know Silverlining & Divine Couture are famous for their low-backs. Incidentally Jaime Yeo went to SL for her wedding.. I think SL is not as pricey as Divine

Do u want in-house or external PGs who tie-up with the BS? External PGs are usually more big-name & couples wld have a certain choice in settling for one. Whereas in-house, u are tied down to the 2-3 available, no choice but to make the best choice fr the range.

What sort of detailing wld u like on the gown?
Embroidery, lace, crystals? U share more if u have pix, even better, then i can intro u to gd ones which can meet ur desires
kao_wink.gif

guinebelle

Hi muffin,

I also using the UOB promotion!! i also haven pay the deposit etc. I will be gng down one of these days and she will gimme a tour ard hehe...
I din ask for any perks at all leh!!! Wat perks can we ask for??? btw, did u sign with Cleo as well?

Hi mehmeh,

WAH!!! all ur questions are so CHIM!!! i nvr tot of all these details lor....actually wat i ask for is very simple...well taken photographs, good service, simple and elegant gown can le...

bride_sept05

Hi Guinebelle,

if you want you have a look at the thread of Ted Collection under Bridal services.

My gowns and cheong sum are all from Ted Collection, the design can depend on you or the designer, up to you. Too bad they do not do much advertising and website, if you want to have a look at the gowns, i can send an email to you.
Their price is one wedding gown, evening gown and cheong sum, total is S$2.7, but if you book one year in advanced will be S$2,200.00.

I have this impression that BS always give you packages at a certain prices but then after everything you have to add extra money, at the end is much more expensive then do it separately. And you can get the dream gowns that you want.

If you have the time, you dun mind the traveling time, you can go JB to have a look.
As for my photography, I went to JB to look for one. The photographer is a lady and she also did photography services for mediacorp actors. And the most important thing is in RM, cheaper then in SIN, hee hee....... www.dreams.com.my
My hubby suits also made in JB, much cheaper then in SIN, he did one tux and one normal suit at RM1,100.00.

mcfluffy

Hi guinebelle

no, my coordinator is acutally Siew Li. I've met her prior to the wedding show that day and found her not bad! The other day at the wedding show, she acutally recognised my Hubby and called him. So we decided to sign up with Orchard Hotel. hehe..

Today she called to say they will deduct the $5k.. Will be going down next week to see her again.

mehmeh_lim

hi guinebelle,

heheh, chim ah? Must be detailed mah.. Dun go BS shopping without having roughly sthg u have in mind, tt wld be rather time consuming esp if u can't afford the time. But going with an open mind might lead u to pleasant surprises too, for all u may know! U might want an elegant gown, but later on u decide u want a flirty style instead! kekeke..

Browse thru bridal magazines & get a feel of whether u like certain gowns anot.. Shortlist a few BSs & then head down to find out details. Dun sign on the 1st visit, if they make u stay by hard-selling or reducing price or say u only need to pay a minimal deposit, forget abt tt BS! They are keen in u signing on the dotted line & then u cannot retract.

Whether photographs are well-taken wld be up to the judgement of the couple.. Some prefer the traditional sort, others prefer mood & story-line kind. heheh.. Alot of decision making, but at least u know u're going to get u know what they can deliver.

Importantly, maybe u want to state ur budget?

hi muffin,

heheh, *shhhh* my secret ambition is to be a wedding planner! kekeke

Ohoh, my coordinator was Siew Li!! Very on task & frenly person, and quite contactable. The worst coordinator u can have is one who doesn't respond to ur calls/SMS/emails.. She's none of the above! heehee

Btw, she took over fr my previous coordinator Shirley abt 1 week before my AD (though Shirley still followed-up), and she really delivered all the requests & details i wanted for the wedding. We din have much face-to-face contact with Siew Li, but she still rems us, tt's how HB & I got called for the interview
happy.gif

guinebelle

Hi Janice,

Thanks for your recommendation
happy.gif
Actually my colleagues also recommended going to JB to take pics but i find it too troublesome lor..

Hi muffin,

So u pay first then go down and sign the contract ah?? did u ask for any perks???

Hi mehmeh,

Very chim leh....we went to two BS only...Zwedding and Ritz lor....likely i will go for OTR one and not MTM coz i lazy to come out with any design plus it might not turn out to be wat i wanted. It turns out tat the 2 i went, zwedding is hard selling while RC is not, she actually ask me to go back and tink first and dun sign now..hahahah

As for photographs, my hubby is into photography. So its not really of the theme but of the skills lor...

springtulip8

Hi Mehmeh,

I have signed up with OH to hold my wedding there too. I am just wondering if the contact person whom we sign the contract with will also be our coordinator for the banquet??? Who shall we look for when we want to decide on the banquet theme?? hmmm... puzzled.

mcfluffy

Hi guinebelle,

ya lor. Very weird right? Siew Li said that she must swipe my card by yesterday night. We haven't even discussed about any perks! heh... she knows we are signing up with her for sure liao ma. U paid already?

guinebelle

Hi muffin,

Why she must swipe ur card by yest nite?? i haven pay leh mine is like OTOT one leh...she say pay by this week if possible if not then next week....so odd
But u already got a copy of the contract? urs is a weekend or weekday menu?? Wat perks will u ask for?

mcfluffy

Hi guinebelle,

this is really weird.. duh.. according to SL, it's a UOB promotion and "UOB is chasing them to process the deposit"? Well, we believed her and i went to do the necessary details lor. Faxed her a copy of my credit card etc..

I haven't seen the full contract yet. Will be meeting her next week coz I was't free the other day when she asked us down to see the contract.

Mine is a weekend menu. Not sure what perks to ask for that's why i'm asking u gals now..

I realised there's no projector and SL said that they don't rent projectors. Ask us to get ourselves..

When will u be going down to sign the contract?

guinebelle

Hi muffin,

I have a faxed copy of the contract already. She was asking me to go thru it.

As for projector, they do rent one...tink rental is $250.00. So usually they will recommend u to buy one coz for $250 u can get a new one liao...

I made an appt with her this wed to go down and tour the place as well as discuss abt the contract. U leh?? I wonder wat perks can we ask for...

mcfluffy

hi guinebelle,

your copy of contract is the detailed one? i haven't gotten it leh. think will only see it when we see her!

my coord said they don't have projector leh... why all info dun match one. hehe..

suetan

Hi gals, hows the promo like during the wedding show?

I couldnt go as my hb is in-camp. Hws the perks like?

mehmeh_lim

hi guinebelle,

if u're deciding between Zweddings & Ritz, i think go for Ritz. Coz they are quite generous with the materials in their gowns & i think overall take a lot of pride in their work..

If ur HB is into photography, then u shd also go for Ritz. They tie-up with a few external PGs, so tt gives him a choice of selecting the better PG & the external PGs are rather big name (Chris Ling & the list goes on..)

hi springtulip,

the person u signed up with is the coordinator u're going to have to put together the wedding. things such as arrange for food tasting, cards, wedding favours, selection of theme

the banquet coordinator wld be another person.. but u, FH, hotel coordinator & banquet coordinator wld sit down & meet on the night of the wedding (rehearsal time) to go thru everything & make sure everything u had conveyed to ur coordinator is understood by the banquet team

guinebelle

Hi muffin,

I tink mine is considered the detailed one ba...coz she say i can sign on every page and return to her leh. As for projector, maybe u can check with her again on renting of projector?

Hi mehmeh,

I have the same thoughts too...tat's y i m more incline towards ritz hehehe..

mehmeh_lim

hi guinebelle,

Hope u have a great time with Ritz.. Sure believe tt u wld be blown away by the great gown designs & workmanship, as well as enjoy the PS!

guinebelle

Hi muffin,

I dun tink i will ask for any perks coz i dunno wat to ask for! hahahah!! but u can email me wat perks u will be asking hehehe [email protected]

Hi mehmeh,

I sure will keep u posted on my wedding preps
kao_blush.gif

mcfluffy

Hey Guinebelle,

I just went down to Orchard Hotel today to meet my coordinator. Have not signed on the contract yet coz we asked about the corkage charges of wine. Did you ask about it? Coordinator said she'll get back to us. Basically, we didn't ask for any more things because there wasn't anything to ask!

I saw a wedding today and they were using the new theme. The tablecloths were PINK in colour! OMG.. sooooo sweet. Loved them sooo much. Hee... I think I will use that one liao. :p

Hi mehmeh, you're an ex-Orchard Hotel bride right? Got any fotos to share with us?

Also, should I get an emcee? HB thinks an emcee is important... hmmm... so many things to think about!

mehmeh_lim

hi Muffin,

yupz an ex-OH bride.. if u scroll up, the 2nd theme (red,white & gold) are my wedding pix

happy.gif
I din get a professional MC, i got 2 frens who are comfortable up on stage and used the OH script as a guide.

What are sthgs on ur mind?

mcfluffy

Hi mehmeh,

oh i saw ur pics previously. No more?

OH has the script? We were wondering if we should get one... but I dunno whether friends might be better or professional MCs? afterall, friends should know us better ma....

ffbear

Hi, muffin,
hv u signed the contract with OH? cos ur cordinator should pass u the std emcee script when u signed.. but I hv seen fren's other hotels' emcee script & find tat the OH one abit simple.. personali, I prefer to use frens, cos they know u both, can relate better..