New Zealand

angy

See Yeow Hoe,

During the winter period of May and June, it can be cold. However, to some, it is the most beautiful time to come. The leaves will turn golden and you will see it all throughout the North and South Island.

Daylight savings now finishes in April rather than March. So, the days in May will definitely be shorter.

If you do come during the May/June period, do come prepared with winter gear. As the days are shorter, you will have to plan where you want to go and where you like to stay.

angy

eman, there is no such thing as cheap and good car rental. Although the NZD has gone down, petrol is still quite high. Today's price is 172.9 a litre.

My advice for car rental is to get a 2L car. How many luggages are you going to bring? Just ask yourself, if you have a 1.6L car in SG, and you dump all your luggage and shopping inside, can your car accelerate? You will be surprised what you buy when you are in NZ. Moreover, in SG you cannot speed, in NZ you can drive at 100km/h on the highway.

Go to the supermarkets, there are plenty to choose from. Dont worry, not many Made in China food stuff in the supermarket.

eman_lluf

haha... will only get NZ stuff when in NZ :)

Well, I am surprised that the rental price for a 2L car varies and I suppose it is due to the different insurance (excess).

Pretty much going to enjoy the trip and hopefully buy value-for-money stuff. Am a giam gnna and the economy is not excellent so any savings would be good and fun!

Lodging is pretty standard, does not seem to have really cheap lodging. But then again, it's all through the internet and the internet sites for NZ are really user friendly.

angy

eman

there are cheap lodgings in NZ. it is how you define cheap? Backpackers style lodging and YMCA are two cheap lodgings.

jedilim

Hi, i signed up the CTC NZ trip for 8 Days. need to know roughly how much extra cash to bring along for own expenditure? most lunches are not provided and some dinners also not. only one F&E day optional tour. what places in South island is a must to visit? Any advice.
Thanks.

eman_lluf

Wow... am on auto roaming and Singtel advised that receiving calls is about S$4/min and S$2/sms.

Just changed at 2 rates (S$890&S$885) for NZ$1000 ea at 2 different places; that's S$5 difference man.

eman_lluf

Calling card is the solution but may be less clear...

Weath3er is strange- SNOW in Summer???!!!

Brrrr.....! Lucky we had extra warm clothes. Was prepared for 17Deg but it's 4Deg here...

jedilim

hi eman, u are there in NZ now? serious? tot the weather forecast from yahoo shows 17deg....is it so cold or only during night time it is 4 degrees? day time when touring is it about 17degrees?

angy

eman

there was a cold front today and some parts of the country like Christchurch has snow and hail. Fun right? at least you can see snow..

email1706

Hi Angry,
Wow, my wife love to see snow! That will be very fun. Hopefully I can see it when I arrive on 18 Nov. What time does the day break and night fall?
Are you on Free & Easy? What type of car do you rent & from which company?

Thanks

angy

S&F

today is a freak day....Not everyday is like today. There was a cold wind blowing into the country from Australia.

Sunset around 7.45pm every night and sunrise around 5.30am. So, you will have alot for sunshine.

eman_lluf

had great time! Freak weather great experience.

Nothing much to buy... just enjoy the thrills and sights and weather and food and priendly people.

Economy is bad... can feel and see the effects.

angy

reneylle

no need to take 10 months to plan. NZ only, very easy. Go do some google work. Check out the AA website. There are plenty of options

jayin_fairyland

Hi, i am considering NZ for my HM. Looking to travel in mid june. is NZ's winter a good time to be there? If we dun drive, is it still possible to go f&e or will u guys suggest that i take a packaged tour then? Thanks so much!

angy

esther,

this is what i said earlier.

During the winter period of May and June, it can be cold. However, to some, it is the most beautiful time to come. The leaves will turn golden and you will see it all throughout the North and South Island.

Daylight savings now finishes in April rather than March. So, the days in May will definitely be shorter.

If you do come during the May/June period, do come prepared with winter gear. As the days are shorter, you will have to plan where you want to go and where you like to stay.

I think May is better than June to visit NZ.

ryanmel

Hi people...

Just check with you, whether anyone had stay in Skycity hotel in Auckland before?
Any reviews and comments?

(basically there are 2 hotels: skycity Grand hotel and skycity hotel.)

Thanks alot!

ryanmel

Maybe to intro more of our Honeymoon planning so that i can have more advices.

-F&E trip, we buy Air tickets only and hotels will be booked online.

-We plan to visit Auckland only, F&E. Joining their local tours such as APT or AAT Kings.

-Honeymoon period should be Nov'09 (spring) or Jan'10 (summer) cos we want to skip dec which is christmas period, as a member highlight before that most of the shops will be closing early. Plus we do not want our HM to fall on peak season.

-Maybe join a 3D2N farm stay (which we do not know how to organise if we are having F&E trip since our hotel stays are already prebooked) any advises?

Thanks alot!

PS: i read from one of Angry's replies that he/she lives in NZ? can give me more advises? or PM me? Thanks.

lovetotravel

Dear ryanmel,

I can't remember whether its skycity grand or skycity hotel. But I definitely stay at one of them. Hotel is ok good grade but nothing fancy. Remember to request for queen room cos we wer given twin rooms at that time.

will u be going to south island? Its more scenic than north island. If I am not wrong, there is a town napier where u can view the earliest sunrise. Its been many many years back so I can't really remember.

angy

ryan

of all the places in NZ you can visit, you only want to goto Auckland ah? then you might as well stay in Singapore. Dont waste your money.

Anytime is a good time to goto NZ. There is nothing really worth shopping in NZ. If you want to goto NZ to shop, i suggest dont waste your money, shop in Singapore, cheaper and better variety.

Since you want to spend about 10 hours sitting on your bump to fly to NZ, plan what you want to do. NZ has a lot to offer. Do you want to
a. enjoy the wine?
b. enjoy the scenery?
c. Drive on open road?
d. all of the above

Decide
a. how many days you want to spend in NZ
b. whether you like North or South Island
c. what you would like to do?

To me:
a. accomodation should be last thing on your mind. You are only going there to sleep. Pay an average price, you will be ok.

b. if you intend to hire a car, where you stay is inmaterial. Distance is only relative.

c. Dont waste your money in Auckland, there are other places nicer than Auckland. Eg, if you like spa and massage, I recommend Rotorua. Do a google search on it. I strongly recommend visit the waitomo glow worm caves and Aranui Caves.

d. Everyone said South Island is nice, I dont deny it. But, you are coming at the wrong time. South Island, in my opinion, is best visited during Autumn, where all the leaves are golden in colour.

e. If you die die want to come during Nov or Jan, I strongly suggest you book soon. You will be competing against the North hemisphere wanting to goto a warm country, and the kiwis going away.

f. if you change your mind, you might want to goto NZ in Feb and watch Lionel Richie sing live at a vineyard. http://www.missionconcert.co.nz/default.aspx

ryanmel

Peng, thanks for the advice. Ya, i will request for King Room (not Queen hor). lol. Can enjoy our Honeymoon.
We still not sure on whether N or S NZ yet.

Angy, lol dun worry about us wasting $$. And our purpose is not to SHOP. If we want to, we rather go to Europe. Definitely a NO-NO shopping for honeymoon
(thats why we chose such a slow-pace country), cos we dun want to end up having many 'shopping lists' from relatives/frds/colleagues while we are on our honeymoon.

Its our honeymoon, we just want to spend relaxing time together thats why we choose NZ (wanted Australia, but went before).
Why Auckland, cos NZ has 2 or 3 airports (if we are not wrong), and Auckland is one of them.

-Accomodation: We chose Skycity hotel for its location cos we dun plan to rent a car. Read from somewhere that this hotel is near train/bus station.
-No wine, both of us know nothing about wine and we do not like wine much.
(thanks for recommending *wink)
-No Driving, we dun plan to rent car/drive on our honeymoon trip now.
Will want to try that when we want to visit NZ again after our honeymoon trip.

-Will want to spend ard 7-10 days for our honeymoon,
-No preference in N or S NZ, thought of joining their day tour such as APT/AAT.
-Lastly all we wanted to do is to spend our honeymoon relaxing, enjoy moments with each other. (hot coffee in cool/chilling weather, taking a stroll, maybe some spa, etc etc)
and some not too engery consuming activities.
happy.gif

PS: our AD is on Nov 2009, thats why we plan our honeymoon on Nov09 or Jan2010 (Dec is peak, Feb2010 is CNY period) if not March2010.
We dun want to wait for long to have our Honeymoon after our AD.
happy.gif

Thanks alot for all your advices, which city in NZ are you staying at btw? business trip?

jinnie

Hi Ryan & Melissa

My husband and I just had our honeymoon in NZ in mid November to early December at South Island. The timing was perfect as we managed to avoid the crowds. The airport was filled with people when we were leaving NZ. Apparently, their peak season starts in December. We really enjoyed ourselves very much as we planned a rather relaxed self-drive itinerary:

Christchurch: 2 nights
Lake Tekapo: 2 nights
Mt. Cook: 1 night
Wanaka: 2 nights
Queenstown: 3 nights
Christchurch: 1 night

In fact, our parents were so impressed with our photos and hearing us marvel on our trip that they went to NZ too in early Jan this year! As they had less time to work with, their itinerary goes like this, which is slightly more hectic:

Franz Joseph: 2 nights
Wanaka: 1 night
Queenstown: 3 nights

It's really easy to navigate around the place as the maps are simple to read and the roads are easy to drive.

As mentioned, mid-November is quite a good time to go as you avoid the crowds and the weather is rather cooling. We were basically walking around the lakes, taking photographs, eating ice-cream and just enjoying the scenery. Even our driving was minimum. The longest drive for us was only 3.5h.

Like what angy mentioned, it would really be a waste to travel all the way to NZ just to go to Auckland, which is just like any other major city. I would strongly advise you to go a few more places. A different town/city would bring about a totally different experience, especially those around the lakes.

Perhaps you could read up more about NZ. We actually enjoyed the planning process as well as sourcing for the accommodation online. You would really be missing out a lot if you just travel to Auckland
happy.gif

ryanmel

Thanks jinnie, can i just check with you...

how about accomodation? on the spot check-in or
you had pre-booked online?

We actually have this crazy idea of 'free & casual' driving, meaning we just book online for a car in NZ, once we reach the airport and then we get our GPS to navigate the route... as we drive pass any attractions we like we just stop and check-in on the spot.
What do you think? Of cos we will choose a non-peak season.

sunny~gal

hihi,
sorry for multiple questions, generally in november at new zealand, at what time will the night starts and driving turns difficult (too dark to drive)?

ryanmel

Peng, thanks for the link!
Haha currently under my 'favourites bookmark' i have many links of NZ and Auckland...
Got to spend much time reading before our Honeymoon. :D

ryanmel

Great sunny gal,
How much preparations have you done? F&E?
Any location in NZ in particular?

Maybe we can share our findings
happy.gif

sunny~gal

hihi, (repost)
can i know the usual timing for check-in and check-out of hotels/motels at south island of nz?
sorry for multiple questions, generally in november at new zealand, at what time will the night starts and driving turns difficult (too dark to drive)?

ryanmel

Sunnygal, the website have New Zealand forum.
(you type the place you want to visit at the search forum, and you will be directed to the discussion forum for that location.)

example: http://forum.virtualtourist.com/forum-3153-1-Travel-New_Zealand-1-forum.html?-vt-0

if you want more precise, you can type eg: Auckland, and there will be lots of posts and replies regarding Auckland.

***look for these words: "Search for a Forum Location:"

Cheers, Melissa.

sunny~gal

ok,so hav u decided on ur trip?personally i oso find south island more worth to explore and value for $.explore more when u young,then when old can go city area like auckland
happy.gif

angy

wa, suddenly this NZ forum is alive again

Sunny-gal, motel check in/check out is usually 1400/1200 respectively.

As it is summer, November sun rise is around 0645 and set around 1930

sunnygal and ryanmel
Both N and S island have their beauty. Ryanmel, if you are really lazy and want to stay in one place only, why not stay in Wellington. You can almost walk anywhere in Wellington but not in Auckland.

You can
a. drink the best kopi in NZ
b. visit the museum and see the world largest cuttlefish
c. visit the sites where the movie LOTR are shot.
d. Go for beautiful walks, such as Kaitoke.
e. Play a round of golf at $50 or less green fees. Where can you find green fees so cheap in Singapore and dont have to queue up to tee off?
f. Take a ferry cruise down to Nelson and stay there for 1 or 2 days.

Anyway, you all have alot of time. Remember to book early. Dont rush to visit so many places. Just focus on key ones.

Happy planning

sunny~gal

thanks angy
happy.gif

i am waiting for ur reply actually haha.
yah taking my time to plan the itinerary and will book the motels/hotels early.maybe before may 2009.

sunny~gal

hey angy,
Thanks for the link
happy.gif

want to ask,normally nz motels/hotels charge by per night?or motels per pax and hotels per night?