Melbourne anyone??

spingtan

Has anyone taken day tours at melbourne? Besides those already mentioned in this forum, any other good ones?
Thanks!

midas

hi sping,

i've tried puffing billy ride, dandenongs, yarra valley, great ocean rd, otway tree top walk, warook farm, penguins at philips island & healesville wildlife park tours...

u may view my melbourne pics here:
http://midas400.multiply.com/photos/album/12

enjoy
happy.gif

spingtan

thanks, midas, your pics are very nice...
i think i did not phrase my qns properly...i meant to ask if anyone has any good day tour companies to recommend...

d1amonds

hi spring, if you are not on tight schedule, why don't you shop around for tours only when you arrive melb. Usually the tour co. are located around the same area i.e. walking distance from each other. That's what i did when i was there.
happy.gif

dat

autopia tours is pretty good, i've been on two of their tours (GOR and Philip Island), their tours are in those mini bus, so very personal. :)

prices are decent and they do have those promos of buy two day tours get 1 free etc..

spingtan

hey dat, thanks for the info. may i know when you went on the day tour with autopia tours? any pics to share? thanks!

i've contacted them about their tours, but they didn't offer to give me 1 free tour leh
sad.gif

dat

hi spring,
i went to the GOR in easter this yr and in jul to philip island (both with aupopia tours).

sorry about that, it was another company offering, autopia does give a halfday free city tour if you pruchase two full day tours with them. :)

i happened to travel with them the first time cos it was what my sch travel agent had.

snowiee

hi did anyone go to melbourne in December.. was wondering if its going to be really hot during december... something like hotter than singapore..

anyone who went there in december period can share your experience pls?
happy.gif

iomega

snowiee

December, end of spring and the start of spring in Melb.
U have to expect lot of housefly around and the temperature range from 20 - 40 degree depends.
You have to take caution if you are allergies to pollen,you might be experiencing hay fever.
When it is more than 35, it is a weather experience you wouldn't find in Singapore.

iomega

snowiee

December, end of spring and the start of summer in Melb.
U have to expect lot of housefly around and the temperature range from 20 - 40 degree depends.
You have to take caution if you are allergies to pollen,you might be experiencing hay fever.
When it is more than 35, it is a weather experience you wouldn't find in Singapore.

starmed

mary
it'll be quite cold in july cos it's winter.
happy.gif
Still it's a nice place...rather cosmopolitian... if u like pan cakes, do head to this restaurant at the mall area. It's called Pancake Parlour. They got the best pancakes I've ever tasted! Fluffy n hot from oven!!
happy.gif
Do give it a try.
happy.gif

simplyserene

I think the best pancakes in Melbourne are Stokers. Only open from 8pm-2am on most nights, but unfortunately only accessible if you drive (http://melbournedesserts.com.au/winter-warmers/stokers.html). Used to go there in winter for my dose of pancakes, hot choc and good conversation.

The other good pancake place is Ms Marples up in the Dandenongs. Whilst you're in Melbourne, remember to try out their big breakfasts, especially in places like South Melbourne and Albert Park. Good stuff! Vietnamese food in Richmond is also pretty authentic. I brought some friends to these places and they adored them. One of them has since stopped having McD's big brekkies. Nothing beats a hearty Melbourne brekkie...

Melbourne in December can get pretty warm and very dry esp towards Christmas. Yea, heaps of disgusting flies but you shdn't really be experiencing hayfever. My hayfever stops in Dec anyway...

dat

hi noscon,

you may want to check out what are the happenings in melbourne/perth at those times, and choose accordingly.. i suspect this yr (cos winter came slightly late) in dec it won't be as hot.. jan/feb/mar may warm up..

this yr in feb, it was hot, with days up to 40deg..

sabafugly

hi guys, was tinkin of goin melb to rent a car for say a week or two.. any recommendations on car rental companies?

anyways, any nice place to eat/chillout?

seemic

i rented from thrifty (think it was the cheapest i could find) when i went last yr... a lancer... condition of car not bad..

u can also try hertz or other companies.. try doing a search...

greenie

hi wld like to find out if its more exp to book the tours only when we r in melbourne? as compared to bkg in SG? also, can anyone share if its convenient to bring a 1 yr old baby over? i am planning a trip in oct. appreciate any replies.
happy.gif

simplyserene

Hi starz,

I think bringing a baby the most inconvenient part wld be the plane league, but otherwise Melb is a rather baby-friendly place I feel.

Hi sabafugly,

My friends rented from Europcar cos it was cheapest at that time. Suggest to check out all the websites. Just don't take Hertz cos it's the most expensive. Here's another tip - car pickup in the city is cheaper than at the airport. Car return before 12 does not incur extra fees for most companies I think. Also note that parking in the city is VERY expensive. So try not to park in the city. But parking in most suburban malls, places of interest are free. That's why we always did our weekly marketing outside the city.

dat

Can try metrocars as well.. book online at diycarhire.com.au
Parking in the city as S'rene said, it's very ex.. but you can find those 1/2 hour or 1 hour free, or even weekend free parking just outside the city.

I think it's cheaper to book tours here, cos here you can pick and choose what you want, plus if you book from backpackers tours, it's quite cheap. However since you're renting a car, and have a 1 year old with you, you might choose to drive yourself to the places of interest, you can get those brochures with driving directions.. or go to
http://www.visitvictoria.com.au/
they have driving directions and places to visit there as well.. i went on tours and SO drove me also.. prefer driving ourself, plus it's cheaper :) can stop where you want to eat rather then the pizza stops (usually where the tours take you for lunch/dinners that are included)

OT: s'rene, you graduated from UniMelb? My senior :)

coolqoo

hihi...

i been to mel a few years back... for local day tours.. go there then book.. there's a place call halftixs where they sell the day tour at half price...why they can do so is that they need to get enuff ppl to fully optimise the tour bus... so usually is you go there, buy the tickets.. then set off the next day...

cheap and good arh...

I be going in coming sep.. free & easy... will be at Mel city-take train to mornington peninsula-ferry to philips island-back to mel city

the last time i was only at mel city... didn';t went around touring... any nice place to stay at the mornington peninsular?

simplyserene

Hi Dat,

You're from unimelb as well? Fabulous! Have you joined the Alumni? We're getting a bit more active these days!
happy.gif

Hi coolgoo,

Never tried staying at Mornington. I stayed overnight in Hepburn Springs and it was awesome. There is however a nice little hotel a little further off Mornington. It's at Portsea. The restaurant there is very good. I reckon if you do a search online for some B&B you shd be able to find something that you'd like.

hxl

Hi,
anyone can recommend which airlines is cheaper to fly to Melbourne from Spore? Cos I already have accomodation and only need flight.. checked out Jetstar but seems like not much diff..

Planning to go early Dec, hope it's not too hot yet at that time! =)

dat

S'rene:
Ya, unimelb, but i'm not alumni yet! :)

Oh ya, just so every one knows, Stokers is closed on Sundays!! We went there last weekend, only to find it closed!

Cheap air tickets are seasonal.. but so far, QF is kinda cheap, less than 1100 return, but you'll have to monitor..

dat

you referring to Werribee Open Plain Zoo? Ya it's good, went with my uni :) There's the safari ride where you will drive thru the open plains and get quite close to the animals..

dat

yup that's the one.. wow it's that ex? we went part of my course so no charge.. but it's a tad far from the city.. about an hours drive..

midas

Dat,

the standard admission fee is juz AUD23 only...includes a 40mins 'general safari tour'. there is tis 'special tour' called the 'Open vehicle tour' is AUD65 for 2hrs ride includes admission fee. so i duno to juz take the AUD23 one or the AUD65 one leh...did u join the 40mins one or 2hrs one?

bellebelle

Anyone has experience buying mangoes etc from Melbourne and flying them back?

I'm going to Syd and Melb 7D on Quantas in Dec on F&E but only allowed 20kg baggage. Anyone has any experience carrying more than 20kg? Did you have to pay for excess baggage? I've been to Melb twice but both times with package so no experience with excess baggage. Thanks

danielle01

Hi all,

Have read your threads n gained a lot from them.

I have booked the air tix to fly to Melbourne in Nov and planned the itinerary (Mel, GOR, Mornington, Dandenong). But we are on tight budget so need your advice on the following:

1. Need to apply for visa for travel fr SG to AUS? Where n how to apply?
2. Possible to find a clean n comfortable hotel for < SGD100 per nite? Any recommendation? Need to book soon...
3. Is it better n cheaper to take the skybus than a cab from airport to hotel?
4. Intend to rent a car for the GOR &amp; Mornington trip. Where to rent a car n how much will it cost?

Many thanks in advance!!!

dat

Hi Danielle,
1.If you book your airtickets from travel agents, they'll get your visa for you..

2.If you don't mind backpackers, you can try out YHA, they have ensuite rooms, the place is clean and comfortable (just came back from a roadtrip to syd and canberra and stayed at YHA), you can check them out online

3.starbus is direct to most hotels but it's slightly more ex (an not 24 hours), $17 per trip to certain parts of the city. for skybus you need to go to spencer st station to change to the hotel transfer bus..

4.cars are approx $39/day on average, petrol this few days is $1.20-$1.35.. so far we've used Europcar, Budget and Metrocars.. Europcar is the most professional (according to SO, i'm just the passenger)

and for GOR, may be better to take a day tour, cos the drive is not easy if you've nv driven on those winding roads.. it's really by a cliff and just single lane up and single lane down.. if you drive slowly, you will feel really pressurized.. :)

You guys don't wanta visit Philip Island, Yarra Valley, Grampains or Mt Buller?

bellebelle

Danielle,

The GOR is very 'windy/curvey' so I would not recommend you to drive there your own. But if you're an experienced driver with roads like that then go ahead. Enjoy. The scenery is awesome and must go down to Loch Ard Gorge to play in the water ;-p

your_image.gif

your_image.gif

dat

Hi,

Just came back from my 2nd trip to GOR and trip to warnambol. Unfortunately didn't get to see the whales.. if you're into boat rides and fishing, may want to consider going on another 45min from the 12 apostles to warnambol..

danielle01

Hi,
Any recommendations for accomodation at Mornington Peninsula &amp; along GOR (Apollo Bay or Port Campbell)?
Any highly recommended website to book these 2 venues?
Places of interest at the 2 places?

s__h

received an email from Accor :

Get a room in australia or NZ at $79 or $99 under "Early Summer Savings".

Note this rate is only for "Early Summer Savings". Different hotel have their own start and end date of Summer.

Valid for stays between 1/12/07 and 31/1/08. All rates are room only, per night single, twin or double occupancy in a standard room.

Rates are based on a limited allocation of rooms determined by each participating hotel and are subject to availability.

All Early Summer Savings bookings are chargeable at time of reservation and are non-exchangeable, non-refundable and non-transferable.

Details can be seen in http://hotdeals.sites.optin.com.au/readcamp.rsp?rin=1sb63835-1723781&amp;campaign=018

Good thing abt being an Accor member :)

http://www.singaporebrides.com/forumboard/messages/4/436535.html?1191456783

midas

hi,
anyone can advice...is the Melb domestic airport(Tullamarine) located near to their International airport? or need to travel very far to transfer to domestic flights?

dat

Tullamarine is the international airport.. you referring to the different terminals? It's within the same airport, different terminal.. some thing like Changi airport..

midas

DAT,
thanks for the info...i see so their domestic flights is juz at another terminal? like our Budget terminal?

dyj3003

hi, any recommendations for budgeted short-stay apartment for pax of 4-5 in melbourne? preferably near the city.
I'm planning a family trip 2nd half of May. thanks!