Mattress

B

begin

hi askabride,

it seems that you have done some homework on kingkoil. can i ask, departmental stores promotes kingkoil with latex and pillow top. but in roland, they say it's better to directly on the mattress without those.

so, i'm confuse. any advise?

Thanks.

askabride

hi begin,
sorry, i'm unable to help in this area cos we only dropped by Rolands' for less than 10mins becos there were quite a few groups of customers there, so din see much, also din ask much...hence i hope to find more info over here b4 dropping by again.

However, i heard that latex and pillow top merely serves the comfy aspect, it's considered a plus point if you have a real firm mattress layer below it, hence u get the best of both worlds, a comfy mattress but it's actually a firm mattress that provides good support...hope this helps?

btw, would appreciate other comments on my above questions? Cos i'll need to get a bedframe and mattress real soon, please help? thx

aeebee

Hi everyone
happy.gif

I just went to Robinsons with my fiancee to take a look at the mattresses on sale there. Particularly liked a Fourstar mattress (Queen size) we saw there. It is retailing at $1388 before discount. After 25%+10%+5% descount, it was selling for $890. This mattress is from the latest range and has a latex foam top which is super cooling and comfy. We cannot recall the model name but it has a pocketed-spring system. We are wondering if anyone has come across the same mattress and need advice on this brand and model. Price-wise, is it a good deal? Thank you
happy.gif

renu

Hi aeebee
I am actually interested in the new "Detense" model offer by Fourstar. This Detense model claims to discharge the static electricity and provide better sleep to us. Robinson quoted me $960 for a king size (XO model) after all the discount (UP$1499). I guess your offer could be this one. However, I knew the White collection also have this same model but they named it as "Vital Intense". The prices differs very much, quoted at $1199 after less 50% (UP$2399). I called them up & checked and they told me it is because their spring count is >2000, however Robinson's spring count is between 1K to 2K. I don't know how true but the usual price really diff much. I personally have tried the W-C one and it feel really confortable and firm. Go n test out a few more mattress before decide. Anybody has bought this model before, care to comment?

newlife

Hi aeebee

The mattress that you were mentioning is Otho Genesis from FourStar right? I got the same mattress and it just arrived yesterday. Ya, I really like the comfy feeling and the pocketed spring makes it not too soft too. It makes a lot of difference compared to the previous pocketed sping mattress that I have. I would say it is a very good deal.

renu, can you tell me more about the "Detense" model? it sounds so interesting.

aeebee

Hi renu,
the detense mattress you mentioned sounds interesting. Imagine the kind of research that goes into mattress these days. Last time, soft can already. These days, so many things to consider... types of spring, number of springs, type of surface, special properties...etc. In the end, we choose mainly by how the mattress feels. We lie on it for a couple of minutes at the showroom and compare different models and different brands based on the specs and the price. I don't know if it's the same mattress we're looking at. I'll check it out the next time I pop by any mattress showroom. Thanks
happy.gif

Hi newlife
happy.gif

Great to know one other person who finds the ortho genesis (you got it right!) a good choice. I have tried quite a few for the past month that I've been mattress hunting. Was quite settled on a Dunloppilo Ortho Care mattress until I saw this Fourstar mattress at Robinson. It really feels good right?! My finacee and I both looked at each other and it was like, "Yes! This is it!" I'll be scouting around for a better price. Have till the 29th (last day of the GSS special at Robinsons) to decide. If all goes well, I'll be getting the ortho genesis!
happy.gif
Thanks for your advise newlife
happy.gif

newlife

Hi aeebee,

Of course I will get it right! Today will be my second day sleeping on it, hope I won't overslept becouse of its comfy. hehehe.. Wow, so it is a love at first sight on Ortho Genesis. Is that how you feel when you first saw your finacee?
happy.gif

matt

hi rebu, aeebee & new life,

i also saw that promo. was looking at kingkoil since my fiance likes kingkoil. can i ask why you all chose fourstar instead?

looking at the price, kingkoil is much ex. for matt with latex, it's abt $1250 (aft dis).

would like to ask, is latex and pillow top good? is robinson is REAL bargain not to be missed?

renu

Hi matt, new life aeebee

What I understand about the Intense. Is that the upholstery are made of anti-static intense fabric cover(special kind of fibre) to enhance deep, instanse sleep.
Quoted by them, it actively repels dust (good news for asthmatics), is perfectly washable and has a long , active life. The filament structure can be neither seen nor felt. The benefits of Intense are spectacular:better quality sleep and a gain in time of more than 20 minuties per day!" But it is not the latex top, so the feeling is different from "Ortho genesis ". Then, I guess the Ortho genesis is not made of intense fabric top that's why the prices are different. Intense is a new technology thus it is up to individual whether they trust and like it.

babbit

aeebee,

U know how much is 4 star ortho genesis is retailing at??? Still can't find one that is suitable for us.

aeebee

Hi Babbit
happy.gif

I really don't know. And my huess is that it'll be pretty hard to find out the retail price of the ortho genesis elsewhere as it is a very new product from Four Star. The sales rep at Robinsons said that it's only been launched since 2 weeks back. Sorry.

Anybody out there know the price?

Hi renu
happy.gif

the Intense (or is it Detense) mattress seems tempting. If really can svae 20min a day then the extra cost is worth it. In fact it'll be cheap considering in a year you save over 100 hours!

Has anybody got this mattress? maybe you could share your experience with us. Thanks!
happy.gif

Hi Matt
happy.gif

the sale at Robinson is good. You may be able to get it slightly cheaper after some haggling. But seriously, I doubt it will go much lower. As to why I choose Four Star over other brands like Simmons and KingKoil... For me, it's quality at a more reasonable (favourable) price. Four Star is really a good brand actually, just not as well promoted or advertised. Been around for a while just like Dunlopillo which does also isn't very keen on publicity.

I hope this helps...
happy.gif

newlife

Hi Matt,

Yes, as what aeebee has said, Four Star is a good brand and their really maintain their product quality. Heard from one of the promo staff, the company insist on maintaining the production in Singapore because of quality concern and also provide us customers with a reliable after sales services. Almost all other brands already shifted their production to China, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam.

Hi renu, I heard that Four Star allows upgrading on all their mattress to Detense fabrics. Maybe you can check with the Robinson staff wheather Ortho Genesis can upgrade to Detense fabrics or not. Then you can have good comfort and quality sleep.
happy.gif

Hi Babbit, don't think you can find any place selling cheaper. It is always a good buy during Robinson promotion. Furthermore you can get addition 5% discount if you are using Robinson Card.
happy.gif

renu

Hi Aeebee/newlife
I think it should be a good buy to get the Ortho Genesis. I feel the price Robinson quote is very reasonable for the product quality. All this mattrss are house brand, thus we will not be able to compare the prices.

Newlife, I did check with Robinson about the upgrade to Detense fabrics, it cost about $400+ more. But not sure will I get the latex foam top?? It is the latex top that make the bed so comfortable. But if I choose the Detense top, do I have to forgo the latex top??

D

dudemycarwhere

Hi ppl..

Like u guys, my wife and I are also looking around for a good mattress. And we heard a lot of things from many ppl, so now really messed up :p

I'm not sure if the things we heard were correct or just plain sales talk. Anyone care to verify some of the below points?

1) Mattresses with latex pillow top is not good as after a few years, the latex will wear off and since it's rubber, it will disintegrate into powdery form.

2) Some salesppl say mattresses having a fixed pillow top (with only one side) do not require flipping over. This,however, I don't quite buy it.

3) The Detense model, though having anti-static material to help relief stress, will be useless if u put a mattress cover on top of it.

4) My wife and I also went to Robinsons and liked the 4 Star Ortho Genesis. However, when we went to Roland, they said in-house mattresses are usually marked up in prices and more ex. The model names also don't give any clues to the original mattress model as different in-house have different names for same model.

5) We saw the Perfecta Galaxy with a thick layer of Visco-elastic material which is supposed to be good for back and blood circulation in IMM, and the salesman said it is not hot and is used in hospitals for burn patients. However, when we went to other shops, some salesppl said the material (visco elastic) is not cooling and traps heat. Quite strange, huh. Anyone care to verify this? Cos if it's cooling, we might consider buying it.

6) One salesperson from Sealy says that a mattress having a lot of springs (>1000) doesn't mean that it's good. It has to depend on the spring construction itself, as if the spring is built poorly, it may pop out of the mattress. But then again, the mattresses she recommended (Sealy) were all of fewer springs (around 600-800). Again, don't know whether if it's sales talk. btw, Sealy is the No. 1 brand in The World.

Well, so here goes our dilemma... Sealy, Viscoelastic, 4 Star,... dunno wat to do :p

D

dudemycarwhere

Oh yes, and another thing. We heard from the Sealy outlet that they provide guarantee (not warranty). The difference is guarantee is one-to-one exchange (yes, the mattress!), and warranty only changes the spoilt spring, and doesn't even cover the mattress material cost! Is this warranty thing commonly true for most mattress sellers?

newlife

Hi renu,

The upgrading to Detense fabrics is just changing to the speical fabrics. I think the rest of the specs should remain the same. If not, it will just look like Exxo Detense right? With a top up of $400+, I am quite sure you will have the latex top.

Hmm... paying additional $400 to get addition 20 mins of sleep daily, sounds good.
happy.gif

newlife

Hi dudemycarwhere,

I think Four Star also guarantee on the spring construction. You sure Sealy provide guarantee for the whole mattress? Try asking the sales person what if the fabrics tear apart after a few years?

As far as I know, latex will not disintegrate after a few years, foam will.

I did check with Roland regarding the prices of some other models. When it comes to Robinson promotion, similiar models is still cheaper than Roland's. Too bad Roland don't sell any similiar Four Star products as Ortho Genesis, that's why he comes out with so many reasons.

Up till now, I still think that more springs will provide better support and stability. I hope Sealy did explain to you why their spring construction with less spring is more superior than others. It will be good if you share it with us here also.
happy.gif

D

dudemycarwhere

Hi newlife,

I'd luv to share my experiences so far...

Yup, the Sealy salesperson told us the guarantee is for 10 yrs one-to-one mattress exchange. It's true. She mentioned that back in the States they actually have lifetime guarantee, but in sg it's not so feasible.

She didn't say that having more springs is no good. She just said the important thing is in the spring construction, which she did show us.

Latex disintegrating was wat we heard from another salesperson. I'm not sure if it's true either.

Anyways, my wife and I like Fours Star ortho genesis, and also found the Roland salesperson a bit dodgy when asked about it. We didn't have a good impression of roland.

newlife

Hi dudemycarewhere,

Yesterday I was at Robinson and I took a look at Sealy's warranty card which was attached on the mattress. The card never mentioned anything about 10 years guauantee or one-to-one mattress exchange. Are you sure the salesperson didn't lie to you? What I am afraid is that after some years later when you have problem with the mattress, they claim that the warranty card didn't mentioned one-to-one exchange.

D

dudemycarwhere

Hi newlife,

The shop I visited was at IMM, and I'm pretty sure she mentioned 1 to 1 exchange.

Anyways, my wife and I finally bought Perfecta Galaxy queen, which has a visco elastic "pillow top" (an extra thick layer on top of the pocketed spring mattress, which adds up to 12 inches in height). The shop was also in IMM, and the stated original price was $2198 (though when we went to mega mattress, it was $1599), but on a 50% discount, we bought it at $1099 with 2 free visco elastic pillows. We suppose we had a good deal, and it was 10 years guarantee on the visco material (one to one exchange the top).

by the way, there is also a brand selling visco elastic mattress called Zovac. One of its models looks like the one we bought, and there's another model more expensive with the WHOLE mattress being made of visco elastic foam. But we're not familiar with Zovac, so we didnt choose it eventually.

sabian

I bought a Sealy (Barcelona) matteress @ Robinsons during their promotion in Sept. Paid 2365 (orig. px:$3699) after 30%, less $100 and 95% by Robinsons card.

Initially i had a friend who worked in Sealy and she told me abt the matteress and I did not give much thought as the name sounds 'silly' (pun intended!)and I was not getting married then. Also tot i'd be getting a Simmons as my parents are using them and I do like it.

But now that my marraige is coming, after a lot of 'hunting', I actually decided on Sealy cos they do 1 for 1 unlike Simmons which values ur matteress lesser each year (depreciation!)Tested the Simmons Beautyrest series and the Sealy (Legend) @ IMM and Barcelona @ Robinson's
I also went to my colleague's place to 'test' her matteress (Sealy Royal Monarch).

My FW and I decided on the Barcelona as the px & feel of the matteress suited us.

Some info:
The number of coils in a mattress should correspond to how much support a mattress gives you. For instance, a mattress with 300 coils will give you less support than a mattress with 700 coils. This is not to say that a mattress with 300 coils is a bad mattress - you may like the amount of support a certain 300 coil mattress provides. If you are looking for a very firm mattress you should look for one that has a high coil count. It should be noted here that this is a general rule and there are exceptions. Some of the most expensive and comfortable mattresses in the world have 412 coils.

The second area that you should look at with regard to the coils in a mattress is the gauge of the coils. The gauge equals the number of coils of this size it would take to make an inch. Heavy gauge (thick) coils will offer a great deal of support while light gauge coils will give you less support. There is nothing wrong with having heavy or light gauge coils in your mattress. The problem comes when someone tries to sell you a mattress with a low coil count and heavy gauge wire as a firm mattress. This mattress will become lumpy quickly because it does not have enough coils.

The third area that you should consider when looking for a mattress is the connections between the coils. Usually the number and quality of these interconnecting wires is not published. If there are too few of these interconnecting wires a mattress can lose its shape more quickly than one that has an adequate amount. Mattresses that sag quickly usually have few interconnecting wires.

The upholstery on top of the mattress is most important for the basic comfort of the body. Do you want to feel like you are sleeping on a feather bed while actually getting the real support your body needs? Do you want to feel like you are sleeping on a board? Neither one of these choices will lead to a poor night's sleep because the upholstery is simply there for the times you are awake while in bed. You will get the same support from a "pillow top" as you will with a "regular-top" on the same bed. The choice should be made by what feels the best to you when you try the mattress.

sabian

Hi pino

ultimately the number of coils have to be in sync with the guage, the inter-connectivity also counts..

as mattress manufacturers deliberately roll out a similar model under different names so as to make comparisons difficult. Hence, we often find that the salesperson plays a key role in swaying opinions. (Barcelona in Robinson is supposedly the same construction as Legend in Takashimaya.)

Coil counts do matter but do not just use in isolation in evaluating your decision to buy a mattress. Go sleep on the matress is always a sure way of discovering the mattress. I slept in a Barcelona in a hotel once...liked it a lot so I flipped the mattress covers and saw Sealy so it kinda made me look out for it altho I tot it was always going to be a Simmons cos my parents used Simmons and I do like it but not as much as the Sealy Barcelona.

If u surf ard the net intensively, u will come across a specialty high end mattress maker in the States that does not subscribe to the notion of a bigga betta buffet wrt coil count.

If u are a car enthusiast, you will know that a bigger engine capacity does not equate to faster acceleration. The Lotus Elise has a smaller engine than most six-cylinder sports car but it does not lose out in the sprint.

pepper

anyone's pillow top sags down after some time? i read from website that simmon beauty rest pillow top will sage after some time and it is really bad.

sabian

Hi Pepper
pillow top will sag after some time, inevitable as the material will break down over time. But u can always search for a pillow top cover and place it over to make up for the loss in softness, the support of the mattress shd still be intact as the spring construction are made to last.

But if you do not like the idea of the pillow top layer disintegrating, you can get a non-pillow top mattress with the same support spring system and then palce your own pillow top over the mattress.

Hope it helps =)

But do keep in mind that mattress companies do differ in the way they provide warranty for the mattress. Some provide 1-for-1 and some will "refund" a percentage of the mattress price over the years, somewhat like a depreciation policy.

pinocchio

Hi Pepper,
Why not your check out at Robinson, I remember there is a mattress model Ortho Magnus Ultra, the pillow-top not easily sag.

pepper

thanks pinocchio. did u buy that? is it Sealy ?
how much was it and how long did u use it for?

sorry for so many questions.

pinocchio

Hi Pepper,
no.. it is not Sealy, highly overpriced for that kind of normal mattress.

I didn't buy any mattress yet.. not within my budget..

sunflower26

hi.... i am lookin for mattress too..... i saw on the newspapers got many sales and king koil cost abr 400-600++ and dunlopillo aso around that range..but they hav diff names n as i compared shop to shop.....they make me confused..
any easier way to choose a good bt affordable one?? my budget is not more than 600...
thanks a lot. =P

hoshi5

Same here! Looking for a mattress.
My FH likes Slumberland... but quite expensive. We went to the showroom at Harbourfront and the lady quoted us $1400-$1700 for the mattress+bedframe.

Anyone knows where I can get the same one at cheaper price?
Saw the advert for mattress at YungAnn rd, think it's the NTUC..someone like tat.. anyone heard of it?
Thanks!

dear_dear

hi hoshi5,

The one at Yung Ann Road is opposite Jurong Superbowl. Its called NTUC Lifestyle (beside the Thai Village). I am not sure whether that plc is the mattress cheaper but I am sure the sales ppl there are not good. My sister & mum went last wk to help me to look out. They comment that no one even bother to attend to them.

hoshi5

Hi yvonne,

thks. Then in tat case, I won't go down there...

Do u know where I can find Slumberland mattress+bedframe at cheaper price?

Thanks!

dear_dear

hi hoshi5,

I am not sure where to find cheaper one. But you can try out the one New World Centre (Jalan Besar). Its at 2nd flr. I have forgotten the name of the shop. Maybe you can give it a try there.

tingting

I bought a dunlopillo mattress orthropedic range at around $650, comes with 2 anti-dust mite pillows. it's at Metro.

pinocchio

Sabian,

So far, what I have found out is that most of the time we can't find any concrete proof of what the salesperson says. For example, they may tell you how good is the the mattress construction or how many springs is inside it, you can never know the truth unless you cut the mattress and look at it yourself.
I remember someone here told me that Sealy offers a 1 on 1 exchange for the mattress at Robinsons, I went to get more information about it, but the salesperson can't show me anything. So I wanted them to write it down on my sales reciept before I purchase, she kept on divert my conservation telling me that Sealy is a reputable brand so don't worry about it bla bla..
It will be good if they can show you a mini sample or maybe in picture form how the internal structure of the mattress is like.

sunflower26

huh?? like dat how??
hmm....... tmrw i need to buy liao..not much time left as i am gettin married in less than 3wks...
=)
k. see how. buy liao then let u noe......... =P

pepper

Hi Orosalind

even if the mattress is not of standard size, the fitted bedsheet can still be tucked underneath it right?

But those Ikea bedsheet and quilt cover may not fit mattresses other than IKEA ones.

orosalind

Pepper,

Not sure whether can normal bedsheet be fitted onto the Ikea mattress but u r rite on the bedsheet and and quilt cover.

kare2711

Pepper and Orosalind
Actually I went to enquire about Sealy's mattresses and Ikea's and the measurements given to me are the same. So .. ??

I'm now tempted by Sealy mattresses but they're so expensive. The one I'm eyeing is the Royal (we like our mattresses soft) and it's going for $1799 even! Is there any place that sells cheaper ones?

orosalind

kare2711,

Try Aero. They give promise that if u find cheaper elsewhere, u can get refund. Sure they deliver that promise and they can do that bcos they are selling at the lowest price set by the mattress co. I got my Slumberland mattress there. Their price even cheaper than some smaller retailer like Mega Mattress.
happy.gif

michellekoh

Hi Kare2711,

I just brought sealy last month @ robinson @ $2547 king size. according to the sealy salegal these is the offer price. @ first v like slumberland but after that my FH feel sealy better n they guarantee & warranty. Guarantee is when your mattress is damage they will replace a new mattress for you. This sound better
happy.gif

pinocchio

hi michellekoh,

I would like to know is there anywhere written down for you that sealy will replace a new mattress for you when it is damaged? Also, if the fabrics is damaged, will they replace for you also?

orosalind

Kare2711,

Try to ask ard first cos there's no fixed price for mattress. Try not to get fm departmental stores like Robinson, etc. If u compare ard those shops that sells the Sealy mattress that u r lookg for, u will be able to find one that sells even below min price set by Sealy.