Marina Mandarin Singapore

octo

Hi Meiling,

I thought the prawns during the wedding show was the prawns with oriental sauce? Remember that cause we thought its quite nice so we took the 'menu' back.

I like the mango icecream sago as well. Quite unique. But serving wise, abit messy. I guess we'll ask for the yam paste during the food tasting before we decide on it.

~sblbee~

shir,
i went for 2 different MM wedding shows since last yr.....1 served herbal prawns n 1 served butter n garlic prawns :p i tasted d oriental sauce prawn at my fren's wedding last nov, it was ok but i rcved feedback frm my niece dat her qauker oats prawns r q gd so i took dat :p
i heard frm a fren dat d ice cream actually melts during her AD banquet n it's like milk shake cos of d waiting n serving time so i dun wana take d risk :p

cho

hi sunny piggy,
i selected garlic and butter prawn for my food tasting. i received feedback from frens that quaker oat prawns might feel a bit like a "sze char" dish and seems q common, so i asked for garlic n butter..

anyway, u might want to request them to de-shell the prawns and leave the head n tail intact.. easier to eat! =)

i forgot to ask if they are able to "clean" e prawns.. hope they r willing to do so! =)

~sblbee~

cho,
garlic n butter prawns was our original choice too but den my female frens got reservation abt eating garlic so i decided to change to sth else dat's less strong flavoured, now wondering if i shd go for herbal prawns now instead....

sunny_piggy

Thanks girls for the fast replies...

Meiling5,
You did not like the taste of the butter and garlic prawn or is it just because of the garlic?

Cho, we can actually request for them to de-shell the prawns? Is it just for food tasting or the dinner banquet as well? Have you tried the garlic and butter prawns yet? We thought that quaker oats prawns was common too...

~sblbee~

sunny piggy,
overall d taste of butter n garlic prawn is ok but not to some of my frens' liking when they attended d wedding show wif me, btw i finally change to herbal prawns le, it's less oily....

cho

hi sunny..
yup.. i requested for de-shell and de-vein.. basically butterfly cut.. initially i wanted them to de-shell, de-vein but keep e head n tail intact.. but i tink too much work..
they were ok with it..

i state reason tat i'm allergic to e prawn's vein.. e strip of black dirty thing.. and de-shell is easier to eat for many pp

i oso requested for small fork n knife for e abalone dish.. so tat guests wun need to use chopstick.. actually such things at another hotel, my fren's coordinator actually advised her.. and suggested to her.. tat's y she noes.. and they r able to cook e dish in anyway u fancy!
at least true for wasabi prawn..

sunny_piggy

hi ladies,

Thanks for the replies. I checked with my coordinator, she said that only certain types of cooking style is suitable for de-shelled prawns like the one with oriental sauce. Others, she recommended to keep the shell intact as the taste might be compromised when de-shelled.

Think I'll go for food tasting first and then decide.
happy.gif

baylee

Hey Ladies,

Can i check with you girls..if food tasting could be done on weekend instead of weekday?? Or you all had it on weekday dinner??? Saw it on my contract that its for weekday..dun know if they will acede to my request.

Anyway, are we suppose to wait for our co-ordinators to contact us for the food tasting session or we could let them know our preferred date?

many thanks in advance :D

~sblbee~

bay,
actually i did try asking for wkend during d 7th lunar mth period but i was surprised when they told me dat d hotel function rms r fully booked for company functions so i had to stick to food tasting on a wkday but u can always try asking, perhaps u r luckier than me
happy.gif
my coordinator actually called me to contact us for food tasting....

baylee

Hi Meiling,

Thanks for the reply
happy.gif
..hmm i have no luck too..

My co-ordinator told me that weekend is strictly not available. They will only hold food tasting when there is 1 or no wedding banquet held that nite...i guess its to help ensure the quality we eat during food tasting is fantastic bah..

Hmm i am still waiting for the co-ordinator to get back to me on the avail dates for food tasting..wonder when will she call..

cho

hi Bay,
i guess e reason y it's better to have it on weekdays coz they r less bz and hence mayb if required we can speak to e chef and he can give us more attention during the feedback session..

imagine if chef has to manage a wedding dinner banquet and come entertain us during food tasting! haha.. anyway, mine is on 12 sept.. *keeping fingers crossed!*

for mine, my cooridinator chased me for e food tasting date.. originally they told me only end Aug available during mid Aug! and that sept end if fully booked coz of F1.. and early Sept is fully booked and Oct is too late (my AD 1st nov)

but i insisted in early Sept.. so somehow they got me a date on 12 Sept.. guess weekends strictly not allowed..

baylee

Cho...Oh do update us on how you find the food tasting yah..mine is early oct.

Are you selecting the lobster or the suckling pig combination? And for the noo/rice dish..which did you select. My HTB is so worried that the guest are not full..he wants to have lotus rice..which i dun Q agree

koi_junie

Hi all,

I am pretty interested in taking MM as my venue too.. however i am going for end 2009 wkend.. is it too late already?

for the bridal suite which type of room do they give us? does it have a separated "living room"?

i wanted early 2010 initially but they said not open for booking yet.. i wanna book during their upcoming wedding show leh....

kappating

Ya! The events manager also just told me that the dates for 2010 are not open for booking yet. But the dates for 2009 are already taken up!
sad.gif

Any idea when they are gg to open for booking?

cho

hi bay!
i din noe there is lobster/ suckling pig to choose from!!

but i chose lobster coz got variety..

keke.. shall update everyone aft my foodtasting!!

to Junie: i was told bridal suite there are 2 "sections".. a living area n bedroom area with 2 toiletsin each area.. i remember it so well coz my coordinator was telling me tat helpers could actually use e living area while e toilet in e bedroom area can b kept solely for bridal couple's use..

but i have yet to see it la..

cho

oh ya.. i got lotus rice for my noo/rice dish too
coz i dun q like noodles.. so i asked for lotus leaf rice..

then abalone i asked for with kai lan.. coz spinach like v limpy aft cooking..

black_romance

Hi,

Have anyone got photos to share for weddings held at MM? Anyone choose DREAM (The Black Theme), how does it looks? Any pictures to share?

baylee

Hey Cho,

Your food tasting is this coming fri..well rem to update us..

Anyway the suckling pig also come with the variety...the combination..just that instead of the pig skin, they serve lobster instead..

cho

yeah.. it's tmr!! i juz hope i can find parking at marina sq.. haha..

hope all goes well.. will update u guys!!
;p

karenchansecret

Hi i just rec the invite cards to chose from. In the letter there is a printing company jasvy. Wat you think abt this place is the price good??I feel that printing invite see and throw dun need expensive de.. is this company price ex or cheap???

~sblbee~

cho,
excited for u....hope dat ur food tasting will turn out well, do update us after ur food tasting session n have fun
happy.gif

karen chan,
i didnt use any of d printer dat MM recommended n went ahead to search for mine ages ago, so far i think my printer is really fast, reliable n charges q reasonable...im not too sure abt jasvy's pricing though, mayb u wld like to chk wif d brides here :p

~sblbee~

karen,
i went to my printer on sat n i rcved d template to vet on tue n den proceed wif d printing, got my inserts a few days later, so overall it takes abt a week or slightly more :p
i spent $200+ on 400 inserts wif gold ink hot stamping (including d hot plate) wif 2 wedding icons
happy.gif

edwen

Hi Karen,

So far, the template that Jasvy sent was correct and printing is in process. $130 for 400 inserts. Keeping fingers crossed that everything will turn out well.

BTW check with all of you, the complimentary wine that MM provides is Red Door Cabernet Merlot 2004. Where can we get besides direct from MM?

cho

thanks gals!! i'm oso excited.. haha..

btw, for inserts can we print ourselves ah? was tinking of using my home printer to do it..

anyone explored tat option?

cho

hi all
juz back from my food tasting!

hmm.. let me start dish by dish:
1) lobster cold dish: i liked e way they decorated the dish with e lobster head n tail etc (so pp can tell it's lobster dish not prawn!) portion is juz nice la.. not alot..

2) shark's fin: FANTASTIC!! it's thick!! probably thicker than others which i hav tested at weding dinners.. hopefully tis standard can be maintained for AD.. but there were some crab cartilage or prawn shell thingy bits which i had to dig out..

3) crispy chicken: tasty n tender but a bit raw, which was q a spoiler! but overall not bad la.. juz need too cook slightly longer.. i suggested to have some koropok.. keke.. not sure if they'll give me

4) Fish in Soy Sauce: portion a bit small and not scaled properly so there were some small scales leftover here n there.. each person had a small serving.. fish was a bit dry.. it's not bad la.. but i tink not as nice as those seafood restaurant

5) Garlic butter prawn: they had it de-veined (split open from e spine of e prawn and cleaned) but shell, head n tail remained. overall not bad! each person had 1 prawn (not too small.. n fresh) and there were 3-4 more prawns leftover.. garlic n butter seasoning was a bit too wet which made e dish look a bit "soggy" and "nua nua".. but i love e taste
ooh!! 1 plus point for service: they actually served hand towels after serving e prawns which was a nice gesture.. in case we had to use hands, there were hand towels to clean on..

6) abalone and kailan: abalone was nice! but it's semi circle.. which made me wonder if it was 1/2 a piece of a whole baby abalone served per person.. i suggested to have 1 round baby abalone per person.. kailan was a bit bitter.. i guess kailan has it's own unique taste n doesnt q blend with abalone? i requested to change to broccoli instead

7) smoked duck with pancake: this dish is a MUST HAVE!! 10/10!! serious! it's really unique! something like peking duck.. it tastes really really good.. *yumyum* 1 thing thou.. i requested for e meat to be sliced thinner.. else it's q a challenge to chew with the pancake..

8) hokkien mee sua vs lotus rice: originally i requested for lotus rice to my wedding coordinator.. somehow miscomm n they were serving hokkien mee sua instead.. i reflected tis to e banquet manager on duty n he apologised and offered to let us try both dishes at no extra cost! which i tot was a v sweet gesture..

conclusion: hokkien mee sua rulez!! it's richer in flavour.. less "filling" compared to lotus rice.. but e mee sua tasted a bit like Xing Zhou mee fen.. lotus rice was not bad la.. but mee sua more taste.. so tat got my final vote!!

9) finally.. dessert!! mango sago with ice cream:
well, i was told to look out for e condition of e ice cream.. coz usually when serving 20+ - 40+ tables, ice cream might already melt for e last few tables.. today's ice cream was still in good shape when it reached me.. it was really refreshing.. thumbs up

wine: as i had a bottle of wine per cfm table.. i requested to hav a bottle to try today as well.. it's e Red Door 2004 which edwen mentioned.. hmm.. i'm not a wine expert la.. but at least tis wine was not corky.. nor dry.. it was q smooth.. so thumbs up oso!

service: was not too bad.. server noticed when we were out of water or wine or chinese tea n kept serving us drinks.. i never had to ask them to top up my drinks (other than wine).. not sure if it's coz today only got 1 table.. keke.. aft e dinner i dabao-ed e wine home too.. since left 1/2 a bottle.. banquet manager on duty was v frenly oso.. occasionally to check with us on the quality of e food etc.. i realised it was also useful to have e fork n knife set up at e table before all e dishes were served.. it was particularly useful when eating chicken n fish.. hmmm.. i commented on e comment sheet that e chopsticks were a bit "hallow" a bit hard to grip food.. wonder if they'll entertain me?

tat's all for my food tasting updates!!

btw, i took a pix of e "LCD screen" outside e food tasting room (Libra room) which actually showed our names.. but they got my surname wrong!!! =((

so.. on my AD, i'm gonna double check to make sure they get my name right!! ;p

cho

btw i took some photos of e dishes.. hmmm.. mayb when i have time i'll upload them.. now time to bathe!!!

~sblbee~

edwen,
i got d same brand of complimentary wine frm d supplier, top wines :p

cho,
some of my colleagues actually printed their own inserts....but u can tell cos it's not so professionally done in format esp when it's those EL n CL kind but if u intend to juz go for EL den it shd look fine
happy.gif

thanks for sharing ur wonderful food tasting experience! it really reminded me of d time i had my food tasting ard 1 mth ago....

cho

ooh.. i intend to get e format for inserts from my coordinator n DIY.. kekeke.. see how la..

oh ya, meiling, how was ur food tasting? m tinking of asking MM to see if they can change utensils for me.. thou i doubt so leh..

~sblbee~

cho,
actually u can save q a bit of $ frm printing ur own inserts n u can personalise by adding in d names b4 u print out....
happy.gif

my food tasting session was great, i changed my prawns to herbal prawns....hehehe, den d rest of my food items will remain :p
change utensils meaning after every course? i think they do rite? if not, after 2 dishes d most so dun worry abt dat
happy.gif

kjustina81

Juz had a wedding at MM last wed. The food is good ... The waiters did a little dance when serving the 1st dish ... very cute ... cos the captain was leading the dance up in the front then the rest followed his movement...

I like the dessert Mango ice cream sago .. seldom seen n great taste.

Plus the waiters at MM were very service orientated n a pleasant addition to the dinner.

Overall a great place for wedding dinners !!

cho

hi meiling! wat i meant was referring to e cutlery they gave us to use..

i was tinking of asking them to use a set of more "solid" utensils.. like more solid chopsticks, spoon, fork, knife etc.. coz the set they gave me felt v hollow leh.. keke.. but i tink they only have 1 type of utensils.. dun hav another "set" ba..

Justina: was e ice cream still ok when it was served to u? i oso selected tat as my dessert! haha v refreshing..

==> juz a poll.. wat colour table setting did most of u get?

i was originally tinking of getting gold table cloth n plates for my VIP table.. then white/gold for rest of tables.. but like to v outstanding..

so mayb VIP tables getting red tables instead..

ggoldfish

hi to all who are interested but yet to book their banguet at Marina Mandarin,

bf n i need to let go of our wedding dinner package on 15th May 2009(Friday) at Marina Mandarin Hotel(Vanda Ballroom) due to some unforeseen circumstances.

Cost at $988 nett per table, including 1 red wine per table n 1 barrel of beer.

Please email me at [email protected] for details if interested.

Thank you.

icey

Hi ggoldfish,

From what I know, MM does not allow transfer of package. You might want to check with your coordinator on this as I had checked out with them before.

ggoldfish

For those who are interested to hold their wedding at MM on 15th May 2009, actually my package is a very good bargain because other than 1 free bottle of wine per table n 1 complimentary barrel of 30-litre beer, we managed to negotiate to exchange 1 dish for more wine n beer..In other words, practically there is no need to top up for wine n beer if you are taking 8 dishes instead of the proposed 9 dishes, unless your friends and relatives are really good drinkers...

If interested, if email [email protected] for details. Thank you...

ggoldfish

For those who are interested to hold their wedding at MM Vanda Ballroom(min 20 tables, max 30 tables) on 15th May 2009(Friday), actually my package is a very good bargain because other than 1 free bottle of wine per table n 1 complimentary barrel of 30-litre beer, we managed to negotiate to exchange 1 dish for more wine n beer..In other words, practically there is no need to top up for wine n beer if you are taking 8 dishes instead of the proposed 9 dishes, unless your friends and relatives are really good drinkers...

If interested, pls email [email protected] for details. Thank you...

cho

hi all, i juz got my invites.. but i no see any inserts leh.. anyone noes where e inserts are kept?

btw, anyone tried the Jesvy or the other printing place which MM recommends?

they hav hot stamping and normal printing.. wat's e diff? hot stamping they'll gimme back e "stamp" mould tat they use for my invites issit?

~sblbee~

cho,
d cards shd come wif paper which is d inserts....i didnt use d printers dat MM recommends but hot stamping is using better quality gold ink n dat metal plate will b returned to u....
if u r using d printers den u shdnt worry abt d template cos they have many templates for u to choose
happy.gif