Mandarin Oriental Singapore

stubbilla

Hi, anyone tried having solemnisation at the poolside of Oriental? Can share experiences? Looking for outdoor solemnisation venues now.

Thanks (*^_^*)

clayre

Hi,

Anyone did their solemnisation/ holy matrimony at the Ballroom foyerjust before cocktail? Care to share your experience?

I'm thinking of holding my HM from 6 to 7pm but am afraid the chairs may take up alot of space and hence cramp up the area during cocktail...

Please advise... = (

stubbilla

Hi Clare,

Maybe you can check with the hotel if they can let you use another private room instead. My friend did that for her solemnisation before dinner at a private room near the ballroom.

tiara

Hi oops!

I'm back! Our wedding banquet went very well...all the guests had only praises for the food and I gathered that the service was great too. The banquet manager, Dennis is brilliant and it was certainly good to have him around. I didn't get a chance to see the floral arrangement on the normal tables but am pleased with the floral arrangement at the cocktail area and in the ballroom itself. Everything went so smoothly for us on our wedding day
happy.gif

Hi clayre,

We actually planned for our holy matrimony at 6pm too and it was scheduled to be held at the function area next to the main ballroom on level 1. Speak to your co-ordinator, the area can be arranged in theatre setting or whatever layout you prefer for your ceremony
happy.gif

clayre

Hi Tiara!!

Great to hear that your banquet went well... was your reception area cramp during the cocktail as a result of the chairs??

Did you had special flower arrangemnt instead of the standard ones? Yeah... wat about the sound system?? really concern about the music... Oh boy i have sooooo many questions to ask!! HAhaa.... getting a liitle panicky coz mine's next month !!

Please do share your photos when thry're ready!!

= )

oops

Hi Tiara

dat great. waiting for ur feedback. i hv the same question as Clare :p
u hv chairs at the reception? wat flower did u choose. did u hv a long,short or L march in?

What are the food u hv chosen?

Cheers

tiara

Hi oops,

Sorry for the late reply - hee, me too engaged in married life
happy.gif

We didn't have the holy matrimony in the ballroom in the end. But what we discussed with our co-ordinator was that the area will be set up just like a church with the alter at the front.

For our banquet - I chose roses and orchids - red roses and white orchids at the cocktail area and gold candles with white roses in the ballroom itself. We took the L-shaped march in path.

Food ah - the BBQ platter, Sharks Fin, Asparagus, Cod Fish.... made changes to some of the dishes like that this out, put more of others in, etc. Go for your food tasting and you will have a better idea of what you want. The head chef also gave some of his input.

oops

Tks Tiara

happi new yr.

could i check for the L shape march in,is the stage at the centre or at the far end? i was thinking of doing L wif the stage at the centre meaning walk in from the reception area to the centre place.

as for the flowers, these are the stds rite.. or did u pay extra? Tks.

tiara

We had the stage at the centre.

I'm not sure if these are their standard flowers, my hubby not that particular about flowers and I was more concerned about the color of them. I think they will use champagne roses most of the time, so you can let your co-ordinator know your preference
happy.gif

when's your wedding, oops?

oops

hi tiara

mine is around May. glad it works out. hope the walk is long enuff ;P. may i know how many tables u have. mine may be around 35. Tks so much for helping us out.

walked past the hotel yesterday. like the reception area. look so grand :p

Cheers.

tiara

Hi c0co, the sound system was ok. But my bro in law thought the music for the first dish presentation was tad too loud. Maybe because everyone was so quiet then
happy.gif

Hi oops, we had about 30 tables - we felt the walk-in distance was just nice. Yeah, I love the reception area too
happy.gif

And we are so glad because many guests complimented on the food - even those with palate difficult to please..hee..

oops

Hi tiara

Tks. dat great. my concern is definitely food and services.

ya, called agnes to "alert" me if there is another wedding with Lshape march in. i wanna to take a look at the layout of the tables. but she told me not so far. she returned my call so promptly and so far so good wif her service.

if it is not a trouble, could i ask then, how many tables are there on the other side of the ballroom (which dun really get to see our march in). Am i clear? basically those on the left hand side if we stand on the stage? Tks.

btw, wat colour evening gown did u wear?

tiara

Hi oops,

No probs at all, glad to share.

If I understand you correctly, I have about 8 tables there?

My evening gown was turqoise in color
happy.gif

sassy

Hi All,

I am also having my banquet at Oriental.
happy.gif

Tiara, can I check with you what are the dishes you selected? Thanks!

Any idea if we can do away with the 2 reserved tables? I may have about 45 tables in all so thinking of doing away with the 2 reserved tables or it will be REAL CRAMP!

oops

Hi tiara

tks once again... hm 8 tables are quite small no. so prob 2 to 3 rows on dat side of the ballroom. the rest will form the longer side of the L shape. how many tables do u hv?

Agnes told me the max for such arrangement is 45tables.

Cheers.

tiara

Hi sassy, our dishes were

BBQ Platter
Sharks Fin Soup
Cod Fish
Abalone with spinach
Asparagus in dried scallop sauce
Roast Chicken
Yee Fu Noodles
Yam Pudding

Hi oops, we had 30 tables with free flow of beer. No didn't exchange any for wine.

happy.gif

babbit

Hi Jo,
If 45 tables are all u need, juz confirmed wif Agnes u need 45 tables, meaning u can close 2 tables if u don need them.
For 45 tables, not recommended to have L shape walk in. I have 45 tables, and i took the short walk in. If u have the L-shaped walk in, may be too crapmed for your guests. Also i found the L-shaped walk in is a disadvantage for the guests sitting on the opp side of the hall. I have attended one such wedding, the guests didn't even realise when the couple walked in.

Inc,
I guess usually free flow of beer is common but haven't heard of free wine. However can ask for free corkage of wine.

justmarried2609

hi tiara,

you having 30 tables rit ? free flow of beer, is it too much/ how many barrels consumed only ?

any wine for you ? how many bottles ha ?
happy.gif

i'm also considering should i exchnage for the free flow beer for wine, cos nowadays many drink wine rather than beer. so free flow beer not worth it loh !
happy.gif
happy.gif

oops

Hi babbit

tks. i hv the waiver for free corkage. but do read somewhere some oriental brides exchange the free flow of beer wif like 20 bottles of red wine.

ya, think 30tables should be orite wif such march in. hm.. the short march in is really short tfor me :p think must get the MC to announce the march in.

Tks.

inlove

Hi girls, just wonder how did u guys manage to negotiate for free flow of beer? I signed up with Oriental recently and was rejected when I asked for free flow of beer. I didn't negotiate for additional perks but was hoping for free flow of beer cos' most of our guest are gd beer drinker
sad.gif

tiara

Hi jm2609, I didn't check how many barrels of beer were consumed. I think only a few bottles of wine were consumed. I know though that my dad-in-law brought 24 bottles of hard liquor and only 6 bottles were consumed.

Yes oops, we intially negotiated to have a big barrel of beer and some bottles of wine, but brought our own wine instead.

Hi inlove, maybe you can try to ask your co-ordinator again - should be no problem, just try harder
happy.gif

bortei

hi tiara!
glad yr wedding went fine! Congrats! Wasn't it an exciting day? =)

i also had dennis as the banquet manager. couldn't agree with you more.

hi inc, i was offered free flow of beer, i swopped to 36 bottles of red wine, i thot it was a really good deal. so we only serve red wine, well, that was bcos majority of my guests were wine drinkers. So it went down well with them. In the end , the total consumption was 40 bottles, we only paid for 4 bottles of wine. It really saved us great deal of money!!!

oops

Tks Bortei

i shall think about it. i hv both wine and beer drinker. so wondering which is more worthwhile :p
but on my contract, it is only free flow of beer.

jm2609 - u could try to negotiate before u pen ur signature on the contract. i got it during their promotion time and bargained for quite a while for some other things.

Cheers.

sassy

Hi tiara, thanks so much! Really appreciate it!
happy.gif
Think we will choose something close along that line too.

Babbit, thanks!! Got you! Will do that. No, I am not thinking of the long walk in. For one, may be nervous that day so best just do a quick suave one. Two, save time in view of the 45 tables. Did any of your guests complain that it was crampled?

To those brides who already had their banquet,

Any recommendation what's a good replacement for the sharks fin soup? The thing is we won't be having sharks fin soup. Me playing my small part to protect the wild life.
happy.gif
Is the 5 treasure soup any good? Anyone tried before?

c0co

hi jo, i am thinking of ot serving sharks fin too... but my parents in law prefer to have... hopefully i can make a difference on this one and only day... dunno if they will understand though... pray lor.

inlove

Hi girls, me also dun feel like serving sharks fin soup but am too afraid to bring it up with my in-laws and I know my hubby will not support it too. But have any of u tried the other soups? If the other soup is better, might try to persuade them to give it a try
happy.gif

As for the free flow of beer, I din push for it before the signing the contract reason being there was another couple pushing for that date, so the thing is, who pays the deposit first will get to book that date. Everything was quite rushed for us
sad.gif

oops

Hi Inlove

i hv not tried it unless u wanna to try during food tasting. as for free flow, do check with ur coordinator again. maybe if the no of tables are big, they may agree.

tiara

Hi Bortei!!

Yeah, can't believe my wedding came and went by in a flash! I miss that day sooo much.

How have you been?

jaci

Hi,
Has anyone tried the following dishes:

1) Stewed Duck with Deep-Fried Taro Cubes in
Garlic Sauce

2) Stewed Chicken and Chestnuts in Brown Sauce

I would like to have some feedback.
Thanks

babbit

Hi Jo,
If u intend to have the short march-in, the table arrangement will be juz nice. No worries, max out will be 47-50. U do not have to worry abt the march in being too short, it turned out just nice. The guests were not too bored and we managed to grab everyone's attention. U know like in some weddings, the clappings died down after a while......esp if they couldn't see you. Furthermore, my march in was a bit longer than usual, cos' i have 2 pairs of page boys and flower girls. They grabbed the guests' attention, we have a good time laughing at the way they walked in.

Inlove,
Don worry if u didn't get the free flow of beer. How many tables are u booking? I didn't get mine either when i signed the contract. Personally i feel, if u are easy going, Agnes will bound to help. Agnes offered the free beer, 1 month b4 my wedding, cos' i couldn't decide whether i need to exchange my perks wif more barrels of beers. Agnes juz offered, free flow on the spot.

wedding9999

hey, I also juz signed with Oriental & no free flow of beer....
sad.gif

Maybe I hv less than 30 tables....;p

How many table u hv, Tiara, Bortei, babbit & Inc ? On wkend / sat ?

inlove

Hi Babbit, thanks for the info. I'm having around 32 to 35 tables on a weekday. Will try to talk to my coordinator again when nearer to the date
happy.gif
My coordinator is Wendy. She's quite nice to talk to so will try harder when I finalise everything with her
happy.gif

sassy

Hi Babbit, here's a big hug from me. Thanks for the assurance!
happy.gif
Yup, I managed to get a reply from Agnes and she assured me too that for short walk-in, 45 with 2 reserved is alright!
happy.gif
Glad to hear you have a good time walking in and managed to grab the guests' attention. That's important! Thanks again! May consider the page boys and girls too. Just a wild thot, heehee!!

CoCo, high-five!! Yup, pray hard and will pray for you too.
happy.gif
Worst come to the worst, just honor your parents' requests. However, I think to win both your parents and in-laws' agreement, it's very very important that BOTH YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND stand as one and decide NOT to have sharksfin. I was also told that there are postcards showing a wedding couple, their parents and lots of bloodly sharks in front of that. You may want to get hold of such postcards to explain your cause
happy.gif
My ex-colik is sending me. When I get hold of it, maybe I can send to you
happy.gif
I saw the video where the sharks are just thrown into the sea after their fins are cut, bleeding away and was just "stunned" by humans' cruel regard for the environment
sad.gif
Try your best but it's the thought that counts. At least, the sharks have one more person like yourself who is aware of the plight they are in.
happy.gif
happy.gif

No offense whatsoever to those who served sharksfin. As a respect to my friends/relatives, I eat sharksfin soup too if I attend a wedding that serves it as a delicacy. Just that given a choice, I would not serve it at my wedding dinner or eat it as an occasional delicacy.

wedding9999

Thanks inc !

Maybe u hv more than 30 tables on wkday so u r offerred free flow.

Mine is on sat & less than 30 tables....;p

Btw, who's your coordinator & when yr AD ?

Mine is Wendy....;p

feb

Hi Bortei , Tiara

How have all of you been? Still remember me? My wedding was over for almost 2 mths plus but still miss that day
sad.gif

Check with you whether you two have got any voucher from Oriental for your 1st anniversay dining at one of their Italian resturants?

tiara

Hi Feb,

Yeah, I still miss the day very much too
happy.gif

Agnes did pass us the voucher during our final meeting three days before the wedding.

How's your married life been? Me and hubby already planning for 2nd honeymoon in the middle of the year
happy.gif

feb

Hi tiara

Me still have not got mine cos when we checked out the next day Agnes is on leave...

Well I am still adjusting myself to be a Mrs xxx..hee hee...still cannot believe that we are already married and that moment is so fast...

Happy to know you enjoy your married life and think the next plan for all of us is when are we gg to have a bb
happy.gif

c0co

hi gals... great to have u gals back to Oriental thread... looking at the way u guys talk after marriage makes me wonder how life will be for the rest of us after marriage...
FH and i were jokingly trying to push chores like ironing and scrubbing floors to each other.. haha... think in the end, i have to count my blessings should he decide to lend a helping hand already. haha

tiara... me envy u man... second honeymoon? Shiok!!!!! Where?

tiara

Hi c0co,

When's your wedding? Married life is fun and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. As for the chores, guess it's really give and take
happy.gif
I'm really fortunate because I love cooking and hate washing and my hubby will wash all the dishes after our meal. He does his own ironing too when I'm too tired to do it
happy.gif

As we have no plans for children yet, we are just enjoying our life together as much as we can travelling
happy.gif
We are thinking of Hua Hin or Perth.

bortei

hi feb & tiara

yup yup yup, married life is good. Of course there are always arguments ( ahahah over the toothpaste, who is lousy at sweeping floors and i am unhappy over his baby koi fishes!) but we are basking in the glory of married life!!! ahahhaha

so much freedom to do whatever we want, eat junkies and sleep late late !!! kkeke

feb, i exchanged my first year dining for something else.

wow tiara, good life huh, planning for second honeymoon, my hubby will be flying to the states this sat for 2 weeks and i will be spending a lonely valentine's day. so we will be celebrating yuan xiao today.

planning to go bangkok in march after his trip.

i also miss the actual wedding day, so much fun and laughter with my guests and my jie mei. My whole family really enjoyed ourselves!

Wish all the brides-to-be have a lovely good time on their wedding day

clayre

HI gals!

Just met up with Agnes this evening to confirm the actualy day items & such.... i love beatufully decorated flowers but am totally clueless about what type to match with what... so asked Agnes to suggest.

My VIP tables would be Maroon with Gold Organza on Chairs & the rest of the tables White.... Agnes suggested Champagne roses with white orchids & Silver candles... what do u ladies suggest?? I just know i wan the theme to be centered around Maroon, Gold, Champagn,... very much like Tiara i think...

Please help.... =(

c0co

hi clare... when is ur wedding ?
happy.gif
Your deco sounds more like the grand kind of deco. Should be nice... Most importantly, do u and ur FH like it? If u do, it will always be a night that bring back beautiful memories :p

A friend of mine used orchids too. Elegant but not too ex.