Maldives

ekiror

Hi Miso,

yes please. Can?
Thanks

Hi Jam,
I think it is not advisable to go Maldives now leh. Maybe that place is not as beautiful as before already due to the mass destruction.

racherlle

hi miso!!

could you kindly send me ur Maldives pics too?
[email protected]
thanks a lot!
happy.gif

i'm also looking at Four Seasons and Taj Exotica.. but from the website provided by Planner.. they are unoperational now..

so sad that such a thing had happen... wonder how long will it take for them to rebuild everyting..
all the water bungalows are gone.. gosh..

guess the nxt best place to go for honeymoon for resorts would be the South Pacific Islands (Tahiti)... anyone have been there before???

starmed

dear all
both my Fh n me have decided to carry on wif our plans to go Maldives... since we r going there in march so still got abt 2mths odd of time for the country to do some clearing up though we dun expect a full clean up.... anyway guess most pple decided not to go n we go... keke... it's cheaper n can get better services...haha...like the bali bombing thingy... :p as we have paid for our air tics so too lazy to change keke...
happy.gif
anyway checked the web site liao.. the resort i'm staying is still intact...fully opertational...:p

racherlle
u can read up on the islands in library on those Lonely Planet guide... Tahiti is a lovely place to go... planning to go there for wedding anniversary in 2006...
happy.gif

sweet_apple

I don't think it's a wise choice to go Maldives, as the land there is pretty low and after the Tsunami, most places are soaked in water. I heard that it's difficult to rebuilt the place due to geographical changes.

You never know if there will be another round of tidal waves, since there was rapid quakes occurring.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

lhuisian

To Jam:

Hi Jam, din get hold of exotica. Anyway Exotica down for 2 months of repair.

I have changed my plans. going to Melbourne and Sydney instead during the same period planned for maldives.

Disappointed .. but sigh ... "bo bian" even if resort is fully operational ... i go also no mood ... so gloom and sad ... the sea water system may also been disrupted quite a bit ...

jam

Hi may lee,

Well, guess it's God's will... am sure we can have a chance to visit the place again in future. Think Melbourne and Sydney are nice too! It'll be a different holiday for you!

For us, all the while we wanted a beach honeymoon. But guess life is full of surprises. So now we considering Japan. I prefer Hokkaido, think more romantic. But my fiance prefers Tokyo. Will see how =)

lhuisian

Hi Jam

Haha ... by the time i get to go maldives ... i'll prob be in my 50s ... hahha

But ya you are rite. God's will. I can only thank God that the tsunami happened then (26th Dec) and not 3 weeks later when i am there at the resort
happy.gif

starmed

dear ladies n all
well...both of us decided to carry on the trip there not only bcos our resort is fully operational... also we want to play a small part in rebuilding the lives of the people there... as maldives depend alot on tourism, since the disaster happened, the no of pple going there dipped... how r they going to rebuild their lives when there's no income???? the relief support can only do this much, I feel kinda of bad if I cancel my trip just becos of the tsunamis... the pple there need us badly at this pt of time... who knows, we'll get to appreciate life even more after we come back from there...
happy.gif

lhuisian

Hi girls ...

It has been sometime since anyone posted anything due to the Tsunami. Wonder how's the "scenery", landscape and the sea? Anyone been there recently?

To Starstar:
Hi when is your trip ... ? I believe the price has dropped to the the drop in tourism ... was thinking of going in April/May ...

Rgds

lindy_koh

hi,
i'm new here, am planning to go to maldives in end aug this year for honeymoon. is the plc really as gorgeous as e magazines normally show it??i had planned on Bora Bora, but the prices are crazy..

mexx

Hi, went banyan tree maldives for my honeymoon in dec 03... nice and relaxing place... turquoise waters and powdery white sand. The place is as gorgeous as that portrayed in magazines.
worth a visit is you're the sun, sand, sea kind of person.
lots of travel offers for maldives now. check out the tradewinds website www.tradewindstours.com
The islands in carribean sea are nicer... unfortunately they are too far away. probably gotta travel 25-30 hrs to reach there. so maldives is a good alternative choice. haven't been to bora bora... but it's quite a long journey there too.

starmed

may lee
hi...my trip's coming soon... two weeks time.... very excited.... keke... yup... I even managed to get a full board accom at US$400 per nite.... wif a candle light dinner thrown in wif champagne for us... somemore it's water villa....
happy.gif
also got discounts for water sports n spa!!
happy.gif

lhuisian

Wow ... i'm excited for ya too!

Good for you. Just a question ... When did u book this package? Way before the Tsunami or after Tsunami? Btw which resort?

I actually booked my package for Jan departure 2005 since sep last year 2004. But because of the Tsunami, we cancelled it and all was refunded to us. We din lose a single cent. But now to think of it ... wonder what goodies would they throw in if we din cancel but postponed it instead ...

rgds

starmed

May lee
I booked my accomodation n air tics last year in July.... that time my accomodation is the normal rates... only comes wif breakfast... n it's US$480 per nite... then after the tsunami thing, the hotel offered this full board rate n asked if we want to take it up... so we took it up...
happy.gif
it's Taj Coral Reef. we find it's worth it as all meals provided n got extras things...:p we booked thru the net without going to agents... direct to the hotel...;p

lindy_koh

Hi Gem,
wow, sounds so nice..cant wait to my own honeymoon. i think i'm pretty set on Maldives, just not sure which resort....

lhuisian

To:Starstar

Initially i booked Taj Exotica for the jan 2005 Trip. Due to the tsunami, resort closed for 2 months for repairs. So ... we change our destination to Melbourne and sydney instead.

Now that the price for some of the resorts drop so much ... so tempting to go in April / May .. hee but can't ... no money liao *wink

Well ... i believe u will have a good time there!
happy.gif

tanggang

Hi, i've gone through the archive threads and oh my there's lots of tips. Great job guys & gals!

Just did a search for night tranfers (since SQ flights will arrive in Male late at night) and a few resorts came out. Found out that those recommended resorts such as Hilton & Taj Exotica (under repairs) will require sea place transfers instead which mean a 1 night stay in Male.

Is it really not worth it for the extra night, since there were great reviews for those 2 resorts. For the other resorts which provide the speedboat tranfers, any recommended resorts for you guys & gals ?

Thanks in advance.

starmed

Alias
u can try the TAJ Coral Reef which is under the same management as Exotica... stayed there for a week odd... me jus back last week from there... had a great time there n service was good...
happy.gif

eternity

Alias,
I went to Maldives last sept and stayed at Medhufushi Resort, which requires transfer by sea planes.

Had to stay one night at Male as well, due to the operating hours of the sea planes. I personally think that there's not much of a difference whether you are staying at Male at one night (for those resorts that require sea plane transfer) or get transfer to the resort (via speedboat) on the same night....

Since the timing u reach Male will be pretty late like 9+, by the time u check into the Male hotel, just in time for a good night's rest... got to wake up quite early on the next and catch the early plan to the resort after breakfast...

hope this helps.

starmed

Alias
for me, I checked into the resort ard 10:30pm(Male time).. the only difference between having to stay in Male for one nite bef transfer by plane n speed boat is for me, I get to wake up at 9:30am next day to eat my breakfast in resort then go snorkelling liao... or even spa...
happy.gif
so u get to utilise the time for your own recreation rather than travelling.... that's the advantage...

starmed

Planner
I posted some pics at the thread "wedding Banquets - Sword Ceremony" can go there take a peek... still trying to find time to upload pics... now pretty busy wif work...
happy.gif

lindy_koh

hi starstar,
yes!!! its alive!!!

we are planning to honeymoon in maldives in nov/dec.but i really have a dilemma deciding on a nice resort...

starmed

Lindy
u'll need to research more of the resorts... short list a few u like n then go on net or buy travel books to read up... choosing a resort is impt cos diff resorts cater to diff crowds... eg..some resorts cater esp to Italians... some of the employees even are Italians...nov/dec is the peak period so u guys gonna be ready to pay for higher accom rates... which are the resorts u interested? I can help u cos I bought a book of all the resorts in Maldives when I was there last mth for HM...
happy.gif

lindy_koh

starstar,
which resort did you stay? nov is peak coz monsoon over...we dun wana go there while it rains all day..

can share ur experience with me?

starmed

Lindy
I stayed at Taj Coral reef... it's mid range... anyway nov is the start of dry season...if u want to pay lesser..can go during feb or march...the dry season will end in april...
happy.gif

I went last mth.. well..if u r a beach bummer, u'll defintely find your stay there not long enough... but if u are someone who r not really into water sports... think three to four nites there enough liao.. cos basically, the resorts are very far away from the town - Male. Need to take speed boats or air planes there... n u have to pay for these... the stuff there are in US dollars... so all the resort bascially charges everything in US... enjoyed myself alot... went snorkelling everyday..sun tan everyday also..haha..come back looking like charcoal... :p

the resort I stayed got spa..
happy.gif
really a good experience
happy.gif

lindy_koh

hi star star,
we are complete beach bums, so thats why we really wana go maldives for honeymoon..heheheh..

wow, sounds like we should consider 6-7 nites since we plan to travel there eh?hahah...any other recommendations on nice resorts that u noe of? did u book a package with the agent here in singapore or did u book a the hotel and flight separately?

i can't wait to go now!!!

starmed

lindy
well since u both r beach goers... should stay longer man!!
happy.gif
I booked thru the net..direct wif SIA n the hotel.... :p nice resorts??? well how much r u forking out? depends on the budget.... n when r u going? if u r travelling in dec - jan..it's the super peak period..so everything is ex... the rates for my resort during this period is US$600+ for a nite at the lagoon villa... so it really depends... which resort u interested in?

lindy_koh

hi starstar,
hmm..actually i'm not sure too..but pref somwhere casual..Baros,Bolifushi,Huvafen Fushi,Moofushi..to be honest, they all look fantastic. But we wld like something a lil more peaceful (not too much partying)...

oohlahlah

Hi GALS!!
I'm also one of thoses considering Maldives for my honeymoon in Dec.
Is Dec a good time to go to Maldives? Thinking of staying at Banyan Tree and one other resort that has a water villa...
Resort hopping.

Anyone here considered Fiji Islands?

miso

Hi i think Dec should be a good time for Maldives. I went last Dec one week before the tsunami happened . better to avoid super peak periods from near christmas to new year coz some resorts pricing can increase by two fold.
I heard from the staff commenting that even in monsoon season , maldives is beautiful because the showers are short and high possibilities of seeing rainbows .
i think fiji is beautiful too ..however maldivies is more accessible coz of direct flight. not sure whether there is direct flight for fiji

applet08

hey gals,

i'm thinking of going to maldives in Oct for Hm...Wonder if it is a gd time...?
any advise from anyone for resort stay etc?

lindy_koh

hi little may and js,
welcome!!!
kao_welcome.gif
finally found brides planning to go maldives at end of year too!!! my AD is in Aug, but i am planning to wait for monsoon to be over, so maybe nov/dec..

i was thinking of banyan too, but there are many other cool resorts with water villas...i like those...

applet08

Hi Lindy...

Which resort r u looking at??
I'm still in the planning stage..so many resorts looks so cool..just couldn't make up my mind..
happy.gif

How's your wedding prep getting along? My AD is in Oct, shd be leaving for maldives rite after AD

lindy_koh

Hi js,
i have to have a good look at e web for the resorts that i would like to stay. am hoping to get some good recommendations. like i mentioned, dun wana go to a "too-much-party" kinda resort..

i'm like ya, all looks good, can't decide!

our AD is in Aug, but maldives would stil be hving monsoon, so if its not recommended to go during monsoon, mite go for a short trip to japan/australia rite aft wedding and a longer one to maldives in oct/nov..

my wedding prep is going quite smooth, should be receiving our wedding invitation cards which i ordered specially sometime in early june. then it will be arranging guest list and sending them out in july. our ROM is in 2 weeks time, so i'll be doing my final fittings for my tea dress which i'm using for e ROM ceremony, mani, facial,haircut etc this 2 weeks...
kao_smile.gif

where is ur AD gona be at?

applet08

Hi Lindy,

wow, u must be excited..ROM in 2 wks time..
happy.gif

My AD going to be at botanical gardens..something out of the norm..;)
U mention wedding cards specially ordered...where did u order them?

applet08

Hi Lindy,

Just to update u..i have finally booked my HM @ Maldives!!
Have decided on Fullmoon Resort..FH & I love it lots n after so many still decide to go for them..
u can check out the resort at www.fullmoon.com