Intercontinental Singapore

C

crapster

Hi all,
I am so delighted to hear good feedback abt HI casue it confirms that my wife and I have made the correct choice. as for freebies, I dunno if we got a good deal but as long as every one is happy so will we be. anyone knows how is the shop house suite like? we thought it may be nice and different to be in from the supreme suite. want to try a different thing.

lin

hi jbride,
what is the 1% and 10% charge for?

hi crapster,
when is your wedding?
happy.gif

Got any brides willing to share with me their dinner photos?

H

happy bride

i like the shophouse suite cos it's different. It might be smaller than most suites but from wat i heard, the shophouse suite could cost up to $800 per nite!
There's a little patio outside the room and it gives me the feeling of privacy. the balcony inside the room overlooks bugis junction. it's nice reali. juz my thought
happy.gif

hi lin
my table cost about $850 after all the charges. sori dunno how to download fotos.
sad.gif

lin

hi happy bride,
the shophouse (from what i read) in the magazine is peranakan like. I kinda like it because it reflects my heritage. Does that comes with the package you book? or they give you another bridal suite?

the price..wah *faint..$850 steep leh.. is it because of the menu you choose different from jbride? Almost as good as going to Raffles the Plaza...

how's the decor like? Do they have any themes provided for you or you suggest them?

you mention you had muslim food ordered too. Is the muslim food a separate dish or is it similar as the chinese dinner?
happy.gif

fluffy

hi all

Would like to ask if any of you who have gone through the dinner at hotel intercon have any opinion on this issue...

I am actually in the process of making my gowns and I'm having a bit of problem with the evening wear. It's either a dark maroon rather slinky and elegant dress or a baby blue soft and flowy sweet looking dress.... Both suit me pretty well....

some of my friends ask me to check out the theme to match, while some caution me not to wear maroon cos when the MAROON curtain opens... I'll look like part of it....Then there's the carpet and the flowers to consider....So how???

No point asking my hubby.. cos like most guys he seem to have no opinion on dressing ... everything to him is "Nice"!!!!

jbride

hi Fluffy,
I think it depends on the design of your EG..if there's beadings on your EG & not it's too plain, you'll still stand out..& it's impt for u to match the color of your EG to your theme color & flower..But if u dun have a color theme in mind now, u can set your EG color 1st & choose your color theme to match it
19955.gif

Hi Lin,
i think 1% is for cess & 10% is the service charge...So the total for weekend (fri & sun) package will adds up to $823.4...I think sat's package is slightly more ex..

H

happy bride

hi lin
happy.gif
the shophse suite was part of the package. we din think of changing the suite cos we love it at first sight. so u r of peranakan heritage. Me a little bit cos my grandma is one. i wore a kebaya as a teadress!

we changed the menu and upgraded some food. the muslim food is separate. there r 2 menus for u to choose and it cost abt $82 per head.

there were diff themes for u to choose. I chose the canopy theme cos i din like so many flowers on stage. there r quite a lot of things for u to choose wen u meet up wif anja. things like colour of napkin, table cloth, seat cover, flowers table skirting, ice carving....
mine was gold and beige. i chose champagne roses for the flowers along the aisle and also for the centre pieces on all tables.

fluffy
it's reali up to u wich gown u like. if u like the maroon gown, den choose flowers dat r not red or close to dat colour. choose another colour for the table or skirting.
my eg was red n i dun think i had any prob wif dat
happy.gif

seiko

Hi,

I am also looking at choosing HI as my wedding venue, can anyone of you tell me what is the max no. of tables the ballrm can accomodate? Oh maybe what is the no. of tables you had for your wedding.

Thanks in advance.

I

ino

Hi Seiko,

I think it can take about 43 tables but may be a bit cramp. Usual no. of tables is about 30-35 tables. I've seen the set-up for 32 tables...it looks just nice ;-)
hope this helps.

C

crapster

Hi ,
i remember anja saying that max is 35 unless U hear otherwise, please tell me.

I am worried also that my guest list will increase and I will have to panic then.
Both Our parents want tables for their friends like they are getting married.
May eventually have the whole hall with all their guests. No space for our friends.
I wonder whose wedding it is anyway?

The economy also not doing well and I am scared that we will not make enough to cover the dinner.

any one feels the same or have a sugesstion to make?

seiko

Hi ino,

thanks for your info. I spoke to anja, she wast telling me that the max that they can take is 37. In fact, if I didn't remember wrongly, I saw a setup for ard 40 tables one day but it still look veri spacious. I am puzzle why they maintain tt it's 37.

The funny part is tt I begin wondering if they do not hv enuff table cloth, plates, utensils and so on .... haha ... getting a bit carried away.

Hi crapster,

I also got the same feeling as u, actually I m intending to bk the place in end May barring the SARS prob, but suddenly my guest list balloon to more than 40, so I m now seeking advice fr couples who hv or will hold more than 40 tables there. Of yeah, fyi, more than 3/4 of tt belongs to parents!!!! Help ..... pocket got big hole liao ... And if SARS persist and many guest dun turn up, I think no need go honeymoon liao ... haha ...

I

ino

Hi Seiko,

I got my info from the inter-con wedding file. They have a piece of paper that states the no. of table that the ballrm cld accomodate. Hehehe...guess it's better to hear it from Anja herself.
;-)
If you are holding such a big wedding and if Intercon can't accomodate, then u shld consider other locations. E.g. Grand Water Copthurne, Orchard Hotel, Westin, Grand Hyatt (Grand ballroom!! Very nice!), Merchant Court, Ritz Carlton. These are the hotels which hold big big weddings. ;-)

Just my 2 cents' worth.
happy.gif

Hi Crapster,
i feel the same way too. That's why i've adopted the following measures (tho my wedding in Jan 04):
1) Invite close friends and relatives whom i think will def attend. Think u cld tok to yr parents again. Ultimately it's yr own wedding and think u wld want to share the joyous occasion with close friends and relatives. (Unless u r the eldest and only son/daughter).I have always attended weddings whereby the bride and bride-groom dun even noe half of the guests! I found it quite meaningless...

2) Book the minimum no. of tables required

Another way is to tell yr parents that the ballrm that u've booked is too small to accomodate so many pple. That way, yr parents might have to trim down the no. of guests. Talk to your parents...think they will be understanding.

My cousins held big weddings too and they made so huge losses. Hence i'm def not following in their footsteps.
wink.gif

seiko

Hi ino,

thanks for your advice. Yeah, I agree once the no. of tables exceed 40, shd try to see other locations liao but the prob is I like the hotel and the price is also right ... so .... sigh .... : ( Grand Hyatt is also nice, but it's a bit dark, can hv several weddings on the same day, and ceiling not tt high ... and package not as gd loh ....

Your advice for ino might come in handy for me too .. I wonder how to convince my parents w/o agonising them .... sigh ... if oni the folks understand it's our wedding and not theirs ... : )

C

crapster

Hi ino and seiko,

I am glad that the place can take up to 37 tables. we only book 33 tables and we already told our parents not enough place.

They are quite ok though a bit sore. we have to handle 4 individuals who has friends and relatives to invite.(our parents)

Our next concern is that , we have to invite some of the bo liao relatives (some quite distant). they often bring whole family and some with maids. worse still.. ang pao not enough to cover cost. thinking of asking my ushers to screen their angpaos. hahaha

I dunno why they like to be invited even though distant (BTW, they asked to be invited).

Also worry some guests drink and misbehave.
Wonder if Inter-con provide bouncers??

Btw: do they have safes in the shophouse suite?
worry have to carry so many angpaos with me ?
How to sleep well when we have to protect
our money? wonder if it is worth it to employ
2 armed Cisco guards that night ?

spud

Hi ladies,

Had my wedding at Inter-Con last Nov and had 40 tables. Not sure why Anya said the max is only 37..... understand that max is actually 48.

My 40 tables were not problem at all, still quite spacious, and there were even 2 table of 12 pax each.

Shophouse suite has a safe in it.

jbride

hi all,

I'll be having ard 40-42 tables. I remembered that Anja mentioned that the max is 50 tables..but i agree that it'll be very very cramp..
i have a softcopy of the ballroom setup with 42 tables from Anja..it looks ok...

seiko

Hi, did anyone try to negogiate for upgrade to biz/special suite for 2 nites? Anyone request for additional room for helpers? Ex or to-be-HI brides, what are the list of freebies u hv successfully negogiated for? Would like to know in advance before discussing with Anja. Thanks.

jbride

hi seiko,

i've upgraded to biz/special suite for 2 nites & requested for a day-use room for helpers. Anja is quite accommodating...U can try to talk to her...
I've also ask for more complimentary parking...But I forgot to neg for free cockage for wine...u might wanna try...

seiko

hi jbride,

r u taking the wkday or wkend package? So did u get additional beer fr her? Or just the complimentary one in the package? Is it possible she will waive off corkage cos' I think most hotels hv their own wine list?

How many tables do u hv for ur wedding? Besides upgrade to special suite, day use of rm, parking and wine corkage, anything else can we ask?

jbride

hi seiko,
i took the wkend package...i shld be having ard 42 tables...& there'll be additional complimentary 20L of beer if we have > 41 tables...I'm not sure if she'll agree to waive the cockage...I forgot to ask for it
sad.gif
no harm trying ya...

that's all we've ask for...i think the package is quite comprehansive...it covers all of the rest that we'll need...

seiko

thanks jbride,

I also think tt HI package is quite comprehensive and Anja is rather accomodating, would love to sign up soon. Also like the ballrm veri much.

Sigh, however, got a prob, had originally plan for 35 - 38 tables, but suddenly, it balloon up to >45, so now really dunno want to look for another place or ask the parents to reduce tables.... Dilemma ....

When r u having ur wedding, maybe I can pop by an take a look at a setup of 42 tables + 2 reserve? Any idea will it be cramp or still ok? Do you the max no. of tables comfortably?

H

hi bride

Was wondering whether it's really necessary to take temperature of your guests at the wedding? I suppose if your friends/relatives are down with fever, they wld naturally be considerate enuf not to turn up at the wedding? Just a thought.

jbride

hi seiko,

i've seen the setup for 42 tables & it looks alrite...sufficient walking space between tables...but personally, i find that the ideal size will be 35-38 tables...

i luv the ballroom too...esp the high ceiling, chandelier...& not forgetting the 17m long aisle
21769.gif

i think u'll have to discuss with your parents to see if it's possible to reduce the # of tables...& u'll need to cater some room for expansion of your guest list...

moreover, with the SARS thingy & bad economy, we're not sure whether all the guest will turn up...i'm planning to cut my guest list depending on the situation...so if u decide to choose another venue, take note of the min table too...
oh btw, my wedding is in dec...

u can also check with anja if they'r having any upcoming wedding with > 45 table so that u can view the setup...

Hi HI bride,

I think it'll be good to take temperature of your guests so that everyone can have a peace of mind...

karen

Hi all HI brides to be,

I be holding my wedding at HI in Dec this year. Been thinking whether to provide wine for guests as the complimentary beer is only 30 L. Not sure whether is it enough. Will be increasing the number of tables from 35 to 42. Wondering will anya wavied away the wine corkages charge? Any one with experiences, pls kindly share with me. Thks

seiko

Thank jbride for the information.

Hi Karen, don't think 30L of beer is sufficient for wedding of 35 to 42 tables fr wat I heard but it also depends very much on the guests tt u hv loh, hard to judge but I think it's wise to budget for another barrel ...

karen

Hi Seiko,

I called Anya last night. Was told that Angeline was my coordinator. Heard of her? She agree to waive 24 bottles og wine corkage for me. Hopefully with the wine and hard liquor, i wouldnt need to open another barrel. So when is ur wedding? Mine on 6 dec this year

H

happy bride

juz to let u gals know tt during my wedding this yr March, we had 48 + 2(resv) tables. It was a bit cramped. We used up 50 L of beer and another half barrel. wine corkage also waived for 24 bottles oni. 9 bottles of hard liquor and 30 bottles of wine were consumed.
Juz a rough gauge for all
happy.gif

C

crapster

Hi karen,

My wedding will be on the 5 dec 2003.
If i drop any ang paos there , can you return them to me ?? hahaha

we will still be staying at the suite on the 6th cus we asked for 2 days stay.

all along , I thought anja was omo . din know there was a 2nd person.

jbride

hi karen,
my wedding will be on the 7 dec 2003
biggrin.gif
u'r free to drop some ang baos behind but not empty ang bao packets ok...hahaha..

hi seiko,
u'll have a total of complimentary 50L if u're having more than 42 tables...based on happy_bride's info, i think it shld be sufficient ya...

thx happy_bride for the information...it'll be good for our planning...

K

kc

Hello jbride,

My wedding will be on the 8 dec 2003, so now I know why 7 dec 2003 is not available to us.....
lol.gif

karen

Ha Ha Ha, so coincidentally our wedding is one after another. Actually i am starting to feel very excited abt it. Wish the day will come faster.....

Have any of you prepare anything? Tot i was very kan cheong to have briefly prepared the guestlist liao. My parents and in laws side dont seem to know much so i am looking through the forum for ideas on Guo da li, An chuang etc.... very stressed ah but enjoyable.

jbride

hi KC,

'paisei'...we're very ks...i booked in jul last year b4 the tong shu is out
22089.gif
hey, maybe I can go down to take a peep @ u on 8th dec...
22090.gif

hi karen, ya...maybe we'll bum into each other @ corridor
22091.gif
u can pop by to see how nervous i'll be on that day
biggrin.gif

me too..i've drafted out my guest list quite long ago to est. the # of tables...i'll look into the theme color after i've finalised the color of my EG...

lukia

Hi happy bride,

Like to check with you...u had 48+2 tables for your banquet...were you in any way restricted by the tables restriction (max 37)? Did your no of tables increase nearer to the wedding and you had to increase or did you already know and confirm 48+2 with Anya? Did you have to write in to the management???

K

kc

Hello jbride,

July last year!! Wow! I booked only Feb this year.
embarrassed.gif

I think I am the opposite, dun feel very excited yet, maybe cos busy with work.
Is there anything I should do now with regards to the banquet? A bit blur leh.
blush.gif

H

happy bride

hi lukia

there wasn't any restriction for us regarding the no. of tables cos we were told that they can hold up to 50 tables in the ballroom. BUT that was in March 2002 wen we met up with Ernie, the director.

Think they had changed the max capacity to only 37 tables now.

We had estimated about 42 tables initially and boy! IT increased to 50 nearer to our wedding! Anyway, u dun need to write in at all. Juz give a rough estimate and u oni need to confirm the no. of tables one week b4 ur wedding.

seiko

Hi karen,

I also heard about Angeline oni lately, has been talking to Anja most of the time ... Wow, happy bride the info abt the beer, wine and hard liquor is a gd gauge for me. Thanks ...eh, I understand the 50L part but the other half barrel is of 50L as well?

H

happy bride

hi seiko
actually we opened up another 30L of beer but oni consumed half of it. Hehe.. sori wasn't veri clear abt it b4 tt..

hi jbride
u r welcome.

happi planning for all and make the most out of it.. it's reali an enjoyable experience

lukia

thks happy bride for ur reply
happy.gif

well, I guess the regulations have changed since then... seems like they won't take in more than 37 tables now...
sad.gif

H

happy bride

Hi Lukia
Dun be
sad.gif

"Cham siong" wif Anja lo, maybe she can help?
Maybe u dun increase too many tables, say 40 tables oni?

cher

Hi All,

After read through all your messages, I am glad that I had made the correct choice booking HI.

Is there any event manager assign to take care of all the coordination on your wedding night? Heard from Anja that there are 4 floor managers to help out too.

Anyone has comments about the sound system in the ballroom?

peace

Hi Cher,

I attended fren wedding at intercon twice..
n e match-in music very loud..pls take note

when urs?

chloe

Hi all

I'm very disappointed with the invitation cards provided by HI. Only two designs available for selection. Have given my feedback to Enya. Hope she will do something abt it. Arghhh.....

hmm

Hi Chloe:

Have you signed up with HI? I'm a HI bride and have confirmed the invite card (two rings design) with Anja a few mths back. She recently told me that they are will probably discontinue the two-rings design, leaving the other two designs (& not very pretty ones I must say).

I think HI can do a better job updating/improving their wedding package on more fronts. Such as expanding the selection of wedding cards, favors etc.

chloe

Hello hmm

I have signed up with HI and my wedding will be in this Oct. HI must have discontinued the two-rings design. Currently, the two designs available: 1) chinese character double "XI" design 2) two hearts design. Me too, don't find the designs nice.

T

turq

oh dear, sad to hear abt d 2 rings cards. was thinking of using that. thot it was d best among d worst... sigh...

she did mention that a new series might b out in d later part of d yr when we last met her tho.

anybody had wedding under d new theme already? how was it? we're considering d candle theme. thot it gave a warm glow to d ambience...

cher

Hi Peace,

Thanks for your advise on the sound system. My wedding on 9 Nov 03.

Chloe/Turg,

Guess we can ask Anja to source for better design for the wedding card earlier - since there is a demand for it ;)

Not sure which are the new decoration theme. My husband and I like the rose/gold theme (something like that)