HO BEE RENOVATION WORKS

och

it's [email protected].
happy.gif
thanks!

Hi Paper,

I'm keen in getting Patrick to do my new hse.
Can i see the pictures of your hse.

Anyone has Patrick's email address where i can send him my floor plan or ask him for quote?

Thanks.

aprilgal

seems like everyone here is busy with their hse shifting ya...

Me too... can say almost stay in new hse liao... but photos not yet, still waiting camera to be returned.

Keep in touch ya...

paper

hahah.. yup.. it is really quiet in here..

i have been very busy too, doing the cleaning.. =) and also with work... = ( hope i can faster move in too.. kekeke

i called ah keong this morning.. maybe he still waken up yet. kkeke.. he sounds quite sad.. maybe too much work... hope he can get a rest in between..

liztan

hi all
Juz got quotation from Ho Bee. Already amounted to 20k+ excluding floor works, kitchen cabinets and MBR wardrobe leh...thot it's quite ex, what do you guys think, from your reno experience?

cacphin

wow.. what did u ask for? not really possible.. how many rm? think u have to say what u wanted..
normally the $$ comes from the carpentry and hacking..

liztan

ya, mine is a resale condo, 10+ years old and poor maintanence, so quite a lot of hacking. Just got a quote from LWT, it's 23K+, inclusive of floor works, kitchen cabinets and MBR wardrobe, also CityDesign estimates 35-40K, inclusive of the above.

nihpcac,
did you do your hse with Ho bee? is it ex? Is it worth the $$, if so, will try to negotiate with Patrick and see how. coz' afraid the cheaper firms no reliable.

cacphin

ask PAtrick to list down why so exp.. like mine, just hacked and mended with metal bar etc for a small window for my kitchen twice(becoz wrong measrement) cost me abt 1.5k.
is worth the money if Patrick used the correct team.
he has a few teams and some teams' work not up to my standard..
but confirmed their carpentry is worth the $$. The rest, not really so..esp painters..
but dunno if he changed liao..coz we did complain b4. hope it helps.
PM me if u need to know more.. coz may not check forum regularly.

hunnybunz

I've completed my reno in April. Recently my windows creaks - hair rising!! Called Patrick and the problem was solved the very next day
happy.gif
So yes their 'after-reno' service is excellent!

liztan

good to hear that. have engaged ho bee but reno not started yet. so far, patrick a bit slow leh, say he'll search the tile for us, call him a few days ago, he says have not search for it yet. but quite comfortable with him, quiet type, will not boost and talk big. hope everything will be as smooth!

stressedl

Ho Bee Renovation Pte Ltd.
Patrick's HP is 96792934

NB:patrick has different groups of plumbers, tilers,electricians,painters n carpenters.Pray you get the good ones .But Patrick is a very honest and responsible guy,will rectify if justified.

thasy

ic, thks so much VL

but VL u use patrick too? if so, can share who are the gd sub contractors fr ur experience?

heard malcom, and AK also gd is it so?!

liztan

reno with ho bee starts already. so far so good...thanks god! patrick, as said by this forum has been very patient with us. We keep changing our minds, esp about the floor tiles, he is still ok, never flare up.
Ah Keong is our favourite though. the designer drew up our walk-in wardrobe, but much to our dissappointment, he drew another on the spot and gives us freebies!! kee kee kee. He also take pains to explain how the whole WIW system works, hubby also very pleased.
Just one thing, coz' ours a resale, even now that reno has started, after hacking, patrick saw this and that little hiccups, advise us to do more stuff...so more $$$ lor...anyone has the same experience like me?

kleenex

Hi

Did anyone request for P to give you the electrical test report after the rewiring of the electrical points for your flat is done? Thanks!

albert_sy2

I think the renovator should have foreseen any minoy hiccups that might happen during the actual renovation when he gave you your first quotation. if the minor hiccups are costing you too much you should "have a talk" with your contractor.

winwin78

Hi Bluzcorner,

Can i chk with u, for your kitchen cabinet, the top of the drawer is it slighted or straight? ( when you open your drawer) Than at the top of it, is it painted or laminated?
Thks!

cacphin

do read the thread yourself and gauge..
happy.gif

carrot> top of drawer normally slanted so that it can close better. Mine was painted.. laminate only the surface..

myuk

Yup had been reading the thread
Just want know if anyone had anymore to say about their recent work done with the Ho Bee.
How is their workmanship ? If possible, any photos to share ?
Please your comments and recommendation to [email protected]
Really appreciate it alot. thanks thanks

bluzcorner

Hi Carrot,

Sorry for the late reply as i'm now bz wif my AD preparation.

Hi nihpcac,

Thanks for answering carrot's q on my behalf. Since like u r now the consultant for Ho Bee in this forum. Shld ask Patrick to give u a salary for that.Hehehe....

Hi All,

As far as i can comment, the conditions of the capentry is good. Overall service from Ho Bee is thumb up as well. Me n my FH we are still thinking of asking Patrick to do another wardrobe in another rm, but still calculating our budget now.

bluzcorner

icic... nv mind, still got a bit of time. The most impt is that d overall reno is satisfactory. Do remember to upload ur photo when ur lovenest is available.

utopian1

hi there,

can i have some feedback about the workmanship of HO BEE if anyone of you has recently engaged them to renovate your house?

from what i have gathered so far, everyone seems to speak very fondly of them. does anyone, by any chance, have some words of caution to give?
happy.gif

just want to be doubly-sure. the price they have quoted me is rather high. $23K for renovating two toilets and 1 kitchen. i want to be sure they can deliver -- i am particular about workmanship, in particular, the lying of wall/floor tiles and the carpentry works.

appreciate it if someone can just give me feedback with regard to their workmanship for the recent works they have done.

thank you.

bluzcorner

Hi Val,

u mean 23k for just 2 toilets n 1 kitchen? If this is a intial quote then ask for more discount from Patrick. Sounds ex. But u shld gather a few more quote to judge. N is good dat u hv a design in mind then get ah keong (our favourite carpentor) to draw out for u. Usually they will give u some advice on whether d design is feasible or not. N remember to ask for freebis...

utopian1

hi Bluzcorner,

yeah, it is an initial quote. U mean can negotiate and ask for discount? and can even ask for freebies?!!! that's great. any idea what freebies to ask for? what did u ask for freebies when u renovated your flat?

I don't have any design in mind. just something simple and classic-looking. i hope they can suggest something for me. As i said, my main priority is quality of workmanship and as for materials, you need to pay more if you want good quality stuff. that's understandable. but workmanship is something u can't control. What's the point of having finest materials when the workmanship is coarse and poor, right?

That's the reason why i want to fidn out if Patrick's works are good and reliable. so far, the comments seem to be good. and it seems you are happy with the carpentry works.
happy.gif
any comments on their mansonary works (e.g. tiling)?

bluzcorner

Hi Val,

As Ho Bee is a contractor not a designing house, it is important that you hv a concept of how u wan ur house to look like. Buy more Home Deco and other mag for reference, they really helps. Maybe u can start wif deciding on the colors of ur house. For me, i wanted some modern n contemporary, so i chose blue n black.

Yes, ask Pat for discounts! But u muz b prepared dat he won't give too much. Our first discount he only gave $90...hehehe... Then we tell him, "huh, so little har?" He himself laughed too.. As for freebis, i asked (get it from Ah Keong!) as my reno starts along, for eg like, stainless steel rack in the kitchen, more glass panel here n there...

Oh ya, Ho Bee gives 5 yrs warranty for worksmanship. That is a good thing for many of us as a houseowner.

Pat is definitely a very reliable boss. Anything u are not satisfied, he will try his means to help. There are little things we did not notice that done wrong by his sub-contractor, he he pointed it out to us, say" this one muz re-do", i am impress, cos he don't say, i dun think i notice it. My toilet bowl had some problems and he himself fix it for me, so touch...then when we gave him ideas on wat we wanna do, he gave suggestions too!

And not forgetting Ah Keong, he plays a very impt part too...he will b d one who draws out wat u hv in mind on the SPOT!!!He will help to supervise d work on carpentry.

But, to tell you frankly, Ho Bee is not very cheap compare to other contractors, i got a far more cheaper quote. But from this forum i gather info that Pat is a reliable contractor that is why i took him up.

You already got ur keys? When u plan to have ur house already?

utopian1

Hi bluzcorner,

thank you for the detailed evaluation. really appreciate it.

i will get the keys on 01 Nov, and i am giving about a month for renovation completion! reason being that i need to move out sonnest possible as i have already sold my existing flat. Because i am not doing the whole house (the main works involve only the kitchen plus two bathrooms), Pat said he would try his best to complete the works within 4 works.

Honestly, i have no concepts or designs in mind!!! after reading what u said, i am beginnng to panick. i only want my house to have a simple but contemporary look. as for teh colours, i am thinking of barley white. it goes well with wooden furniture which is what intend to get for my house. I hope Pat can give me some ideas on the design....

from what i gathered, you seem to be very impressed with them. I can see u are very satisfied and can become a spokeperson for Ho Bee. ha ha...
happy.gif

yeah, i agreed with you that the quotation given by HO BEE is not cheap. i got two other cheaper quotations but i am not sure about the quality of workmanship of these two contractors. hence, i still prefer ho bee since there are so many good feedback about them, although i have direct references nor any friends or relatives whose renovation works were done by them. i just did my reserch on the internet!!!

i bet your house must be nice and cozy! :)

applepieyummy

I took up P** partly due to the feedback from this thread..sad to say i was disappointed with the results. I have to constantly go back to check on the reno as often as 2 times a day so as not to result in unwanted work done wrongly by his sub con. (Which is always the case)

In the end i become more of the main con doing the corrdination and supervise the sub con workers more then himself...

It was suppose to be a one month reno but turn out had to drag till 3 months...what can i say..mabye i was unlucky when i took on him as he was filled right up to the brink with prj.

But that cannot explain for the sloppiness of the service i get in which i pay for the price of which is on par with a design company.

utopian1

HI Yum,

i am sorry to learn about your state. it's truly unfortuante all these happened, despite all the good feedback given from this thread.

In the end, did they compensate you? didn't teh contract state the competion time of the project and quality? if the contractor violates teh contract, you can ask for damages incurred.

i agree that the price is quite steep and hence, it's only natural that you feel disappointed and demand for something better.

you are so far the only one in this tread who gave some words of caution. really appreciate it.
i will learn not to take the contractors' words for it. make sure i will have something to safegaurd myself in the contract.

applepieyummy

Its was a verbal agreement as we thought the reno could finish in a month time so we didn't state in the contract for any damges included...should have done so as it really affect the timing for my move in date.

The reason why i post about the feedback of my reno done by P** here is not becos i am out to damage his reputation but to give a word of caution to others. I hope that to all those who praised about his services, not to get upset by my remarks as this is what i personally feel about his services.

Though there are still some issues which i am sore
about..i do not wish to further disclose in details here.

utopian1

hi yum,

thanks for being candid. i am also aiming to have the reno done in a month's time. i have also sold my flat and agreed with the buyer to move out by a certain date. hence, i really cannot afford much delay.

understand your predicament and position. why not email me at '[email protected]'? i really wish to find out what happened. i am at the stage of selecting a contractor now, and i hope i make a right choice.

cacphin

yum> honestly to finish reno within a month is not possible. In fact, normally 2 to 3 mths if they only have "normal" business..
not to say that i'm helping Patrick,(he's not my ID, just partially)..
but from what i gathered(during my reno), things like build-in wardrobe, wood etc.. takes time.. I also think that easy mah, just saw wood and paste on laminate will do.. when i really see how Ah Keong and that fat uncle did at my house, i kept my mouth shut.
They brought all the sawed wood to my place, all different pcs and not mounted or mantle.. no laminate etc.. then started to do everything in my house.. pasted laminate over the wood, saw additional dimension or length, immediately called down their factory to ask for more delivery.. after pasting laminates, they rested.. coz laminates need time to stick.. so done.. so next day, start fixing and mounting the stuff.. all these took a week or so, even polishing the kitchen table top, no signs of connecting pcs.
What i'm saying is every reno/contractor sure have faults.. and for patrick's case, u need to constantly remind him.. and he dun charge things for what he had done wrongly unlike some who claimed they dun charge but add the cost somewhere else..

btw, for those pp who wants to cut cost, patrick's policy is that must have lots of lights whether u use it or not coz to him, is easier to install first, dun use, nevermind.. but when u need additional lightpoints, u may have to incur more coz may have to dismantle false ceiling or L-box etc.. pulling electrical wires also might be difficult.. so just make sure u know what u want and look at the lightppoints first.. light/points could cost up to a few thousands.
happy.gif

hunnybunz

Hi Val, Yum

1) Delays
Val, One month may be a bit too tight. You might want to give a buffer period. Patrick told me that reno can be completed in 6 weeks but the project was delayed by 2 weeks. When we shifted in, there were still some minor work not done. But as far as I know, Patrick will try to stick to his schedule.

2) Workmanship
I must say that I were disappointed with the tiling and especially grouting. The tiling in the Kitchen and Toilets were not very even and the grouting was very uneven. But when we told P about the problems, he immediately rectified for us. Took out the tiles that were not laid properly and redo. The grouts was a big headache. He tried his best to find a solution and test out a few products in order to help us rectify. His workers came after we have shifted in to 'paint' the grout for us. But due to the inconvenience, we only ask him to 're-grout' the kitchen leaving the two toilets undone. In fact, I had to re-grout the common toilet on my own!
But overall I was touched by Patrick’s responsibility. He will try his best to do rectification.

3) Carpentry.
We have very little carpentry work. Study room tables, bed room laches and that was about all. We found the carpentry work just so-so. The cutting and all was good. But the person who assembles and sticks the laminate was also very important. He gave me a young chap and not the fat uncle. The young chap has no experience so! But Patrick fab a small table with 2 drawers (my altar table) for me which I am very happy with. Looks like those from LifeShop for a mere fraction of the price.

Moral of the story – Must press P for his best workers. For tiling I am not sure whom. Last time, they say have ‘Aunty-Uncle’ team which is good. Not sure if still ard. Carpentry, other than fat uncle, Ah Keong’s brother is also very good.

4)After Sales Service.
Patrick gives a 5 years warrantee. His after sales service is excellent. I called him to complain about the painting after 6 months of hand over and he came down within the week to discuss what could be done. We re-repainted the living room at a small cost.
The kitchen cabinet door loosen and a small part of the laminate peeled. We don’t have the equipments to screw it back. He sent his workers the next day to get it fixed.

Conclusion. Get the right workers from P to do the reno. I was not so lucky as the workers P gave me were lousy. But overall I was satisfied with how the problems were solved. And as mentioned his sincerity and honesty really touched me. An honest and responsible contractor u can trust.

My 2 cents

bluzcorner

Hi Hunny Bunz, nihpcac,

How r u? Long time nv "see" u here liao. Muz b bz ya?

Hi Yum,

I am sorry to learn abt ur case. Are everything all done up now? I can't remember how long they took to complete the whole thing...i think abt 2 mths...

Hi Val,

If i remember correctly, Hunny Bunz actually did up her toilet very beautifully, cosy feel...

Yes, i am very happy with P services. Although halfway thru he passed me to Hennie. But when there are issues, he will come to rectify himself. I wonder if Hennie is still around?

Forgot to say dat i dun need to do my flooring as mine comes wif it. Mainly what P did for me are the carpentry.

-8 ft seatee,
-a full height shoe cabinet,
-a 10ft storage cabinet to cover the bomb shelter
-22 ft kitchen cabinet
-6ft tv console wif feature wall
-6 ft MBR cabinet
-5 ft MBR cabinet
-a few decorative planks above my seatee which i put my gumdam models now are complimentary from ah keong...hehe...

Actually for my renovation, i did very little supervision. Me n my FH only visit d plc during wkends or unless ah keong or P called us to rectify some issues, so far we are ok with P's workers.

Val, u can do more homework before you make ur decision. What we can do here is only provide our opinions and personal experiences wif Ho Bee. Take it as a reference and think abt it.

cacphin

bluzcorner> hello! ard in forum but nothing much for me to post here.. so just read read lor..
offering some tips as and when is needed..

btw, my fren taught me to use green lemon, cut it and put inside kettle which is yellowish for a few hours and it is as clean as it is new.. no scrub needed..

also, the duck mold thingy.. abt 3 to 4 months after living in, dark mould will appear in bathrooms corner.. buy the duck mold, spray a bit on it and leave there for sometime, then is clean liao..

over the weekend, i chanced upon a new method. if u realised, the bathroom tiles will turn yellowish
especially those bottom wall tiles. What i did was use a pail of water, mixed with dettol, splashed on them, scrub a bit, all dirt came out and the tiles look new again.. BUT take care not to scrub too hard at the grouts, coz mine, HDB didn't put properly. Just scrub and the gap btw two tiles are so obvious.. have to replace the gap myself..
sad.gif