Hainanese Brides, anyone???

haywiregirl

Yoga classes very expensive, I stay in Woodlands. don't know where to go, nellie, where is your yoga class? how much is it?

haywiregirl

girls, I am so upset, I don't know where to have my wedding dinner, don't know which hotel is better and reasonable priced.nowadays the table like $900 above, I am going to pay a lot for it, don't think my guests willing to pay more than $75 for angpow.I am going mad. I also thought of chinese restaurant but they don't do small catering, I have only max 150 guests. my dream gown is a fairy tale princess style, i thought a small private room in a hotel will be a great idea. now...I really feel like crying.

hilsywong

BenDi dear, please dont be upset. Which hotels have you looked at? Hmm, sorry I dont really know much about hotels to give you more ideas, but I'm pretty sure there's a perfect venue for you. My cousin is holding hers at Holiday Inn Parkview.. i think she's only having around 12-13 tables. That'll be in the smaller function room, not the main ballroom, maybe you can look into that. Are you planning on a traditional sit-down dinner? What about renting places like mount faber etc (just off top of my head) and get your own caterers? I'm not too sure bout the prices tho. Nellie is having hers at Arts House and from the way it sounds, it's going to be a beautiful and cozy event (isnt that rite, Nellie *wink*)... but she'll be a better person to advise you on the logistics of that.

Girls, these talk on exercise have inspired me to resume my get-fit-go-slim plan
biggrin.gif
. Let's see how long this bout of enthusiasm will last this time :p. It's a shame I cant join you, Nellie, but let's inspire each other thru cyberspace. Errr... lemme go and plan my regime then come back and report.

zapzap

BenDi,

I stay in Sembawang, very near you. I just attended my first yoga class in Sembawang CC. Coming Thurs will be my 2nd class. This is the cheapest yoga class I found so far. Member : $40, Non-member : $45 (I think) You still can sign up if you're interested.

Will be signing up another one in Toa Payoh.

You can join me in either one.

Don't be so upset... just relax... wedding dinner not necessary can be break even. just prepared to have some losses.

One of my classmates is having hers in Oct and I think she's only having 16 tables cos the chinese restaurant can only take 18 tables and the price is $600 ++ if I'm not wrong. The chinese restaurant is at Padang. (don't know the name)

Thanks, Misty... Hope it''ll be as what you said.
kao_smile.gif

"Jia You" let's turn ourselves into beautiful brides...Go Go Go!!!

haywiregirl

hehe, now I feel better, just that my twisie a shihtzu is licking the air again, make me feel uneasy.
I stay at Admiralty, even nearer to you. $45 is cheap, how many session?? feel like signing. I work office hour, each admiralty abt 730pm daily.

Just confirm my AD to be on the 26 May 07, most likely will choose Grand Hyatt.

zapzap

only 1 station away.

$45 for 12 lessons - 1 hr each

class starts at 7.30pm to 8.30pm

where's your workplace?

janf

harlow all ah-mais..

bzy wif work and taking a brk here.. keke. i see new mai, bendi? hihi bendi!

i understand tat hyatt is not cheap too.. dun fret ya. there are quite a few places which can cater to 150pax and are cheaper. Peony Jade and Carlton are reasonable priced and good food. perhaps u can chk them out?

haywiregirl

aiyoh, outram la. very far, go off around 6pm daily.
Hi janf.

peony jade, I ever consider but I want a princess style wedding gown and Dang is making one for me,don't think the ambience is matching my gown, half of our guest either muslim/vegetarian/non halal type. canot take peony jade for sure. then carlton look very old and I've been there, food wasn't good.not much rave, you know all my relative are very picky, yes I am a pure hainanese, all hotel line and good cook, retired already. I got no confident.

onebigday

hi gals!! have not been active for a while and the thread has moved so fast!
happy.gif
how's everyone?

wow, you gals are really into the exercise thingy. makes me feel so guilty - I've not exercised for the longest time - time to work those creaky joints :p

Bendi, hmm.. that's quite a dilemma you're in. usually very difficult to find halal chinese restaurants/hotels partly coz they serve alcohol. unless they're not strict & can go for no pork, no lard. prob hafta go for hotel to cater for the various menus? how abt trying plaza parkroyal - their prices are pretty reasonable, reviews on food quite good & they have a smaller ballroom - can't remember what's the min. no of tables but I suppose can negotiate.. they recently did reno. it was on my shortlist too but my ILs preferred another hotel so went for it instead since they're paying for it :p

I used to work in PR line, & usually if we have muslim guests, we'll bring them to Hyatt or Royal Plaza on Scotts. can check them out & if u need contacts, let me know. Another option would be to get a nice hall & cater for the dinner. Don't stress yourself out! I'm sure everything will work out fine!
happy.gif

zapzap

Bendi,

you're in luck. you can hitch a ride from at Harbourfront after your work.

Not sure abt the prices, maybe you can consider Merchant Court or Shangri-La Sentosa.

You can never please everybody. Just do what you like. The most important thing is that the couple (at the end of the day) is the happy one.

kitty_li

Hi nellie,
I'm in finance. Yeah...so I'm not alone (at least, my industry is not alone) in starting work early...hahaha.

kismet23

Hi girls, I'm new to this thread. Pure hainanese, AD in Sept 2007. I was very surprised to find that there is actually a thread for Hainanese brides!

hilsywong

Hi ladies!!

wah... sooo tired! rushing a report... work until now (3.30am here). I'm going to orr orr first, will chat to you ladies when i'm bright-eyed and bushy tailed :D

*~welcome kismet23!~* our little family is growing!!

Hey 'bai yi tian shi' BenDi, I'm in healthcare too, but not a nurse
happy.gif

kitty_li

wah misty, you in US or something? 12 hrs time difference...cool...

Wah BenDi, you are a nurse, good job! So you must really know how to take care of yourself. My FH always complain I dunno how to look after my own health (FMIL is a retired nurse lah...) hahaha.

hilsywong

hey everybody! Hope everyone's enjoying the long weekend!

yup, i'm working in US now, but will be moving back to UK in august, that's where I'd lived for the past 10 yrs
happy.gif
... cant wait!!

So how's everybody's wedding preps? Ask you ladies something arr... esp Janf, since you've been through this.. did your guest RSVP? Because, I realise that the older generation tends not to RVSP and in fact they feel that by asking if they will turn up and how many pple will come is RUDE?!?!?! So my grandmother forbid my cousin from calling up the relatives to find out if they'll attend. It's making the seating arrangement practically impossible!!!!

janf

misty - i made my pama RSVP on relatives and frens!! at 1st they felt paiseh and rude to call each fella up to ask them coming anot but i told my folks if they dun let me know, how can i plan my tbls and the more ridiculous thg is 12tbls belong to my folks, 13tbls to my ILs and pathetic 9tbls SHARED between me & hub?!! okie.. anw, its over and no pt harping on it.. but juz wana let u gals know pretty pls tell ur folks to RSVP.. it will make planning much much easier.. lucky my relatives and folks' frens were nice enuff to tell my folks whether they will turn up anot and it help cut down 1tbl from the initial 13tbls..

so in short - MUZ RSVP!! haha.

haywiregirl

wah, so happenning in the thread again. so lively. I am really looking forward to see how's grand hyatt's function room looks like. will only go down this coming 24th. I can't go any yoga or exercise now cos I am still sick, cough like a mad lady. Just realise few blks away from mine got this yoga classes, will see how yah. anyone got pics to share? I mean, for PPR ballroom. Thanks.oh yah, girls, you all got order the "big golden balls" for AD? I am ordering 4, my relatives all wanna eat then 2 to put in the hotel, no ceremony at home, but in hotel room.

hilsywong

janf, yes.. will keep in mind ~*MUZ RSVP*~ kekeke. I think majority will be my parents n grandparents' frens also. Cos I left s'pore quite long ago, so not much good frens in s'pore le....
kao_sad2.gif

BenDi, not sure if it'll be helpful, but i think i MIGHT hv picts of grand hyatt hibiscus room... do you want it? can send to you

Nellie, how was your yoga?

janf

bendi - my ILs wan the golden balls initially but too mafan liao coz the shop in purvis st has stopped making and for it to be pongpong, we hv to collect it early morning and ensure its not flatten when we carry it.. sooo stressful until my MIL said i can use angpow to replace.. phew.. my family really heaved a sigh of relief..

haywiregirl

Misty, you are so good!!! Can send to [email protected] I just found out my guest list has gone up to 210, I am not so sure which room I will be taking but trying to keep around 180 max.
Janf, my family members are looking forward it, including my hubby. I think they are willing to go thru the mafan for it, hahahaha.. mum just told me is $50 for a set of 2.

onebigday

hi Bendi,
don't have pics of PPR ballroom, but u can find more info from their website. just saw that they hv a wedding show coming up soon. you can try contacting Fiona - she's quite nice. You can check out the hotel on the PPR thread too. some of the girls will be able to share the pics with u
happy.gif

haywiregirl

okok. thanks!! Can I know, is PPR not a very "classy hotel", I was thinking between this and Grand Hyatt, my friends were like telling me how come I "got caught" between these 2 when both are "totally different". Feel so paiseh.

onebigday

hey bendi, i recommended PPR earlier to u coz remembered u saying that u didn't want to spend so much and ang bao may not cover, & was considering a restaurant
happy.gif
PPR may seem not as classy as the carpark is linked to shopping centre. Of coz Grand Hyatt would be grander !
happy.gif
think it's 5-star & PPR 4-star. Price wise, PPR would be more attractive and the hotel just reno so not bad. really depends on what u're looking at. btw, heard there's a Grand Hyatt show coming up soon. not sure if it's applicable to 2007 packages
happy.gif

zapzap

hello ah mais,

Misty - my yoga class ok. there're few more new students in the class.

Bendi - I think i emailed you recently regarding JP : Mr Chan. you take care and rest well. we can join another class when you're better. now it's my turn - having fever and running nose.

Hopefully, the golden balls will still be available by the time I'm getting married. I need to get 4.

haywiregirl

Misty, thanks for your emails. Opened and saw them, lovely photos. showed to my husband too. can't wait to go Hyatt to take a look at another room and the deco.

csy, thanks for your comment, really appreciate that, cos I am not a local, so I am not familiar with all the hotels thingy esp. classes, only know a few in Orchard. Thanks for enlighten me.

Nellie, I've not received them. Thanks anyway.

kismet23

Hi BenDi, noticed that you had posted in the Dang thread. Did you get your wedding gowns from Dang? I took my ROM package from her as well, and I can't agree more about 'speaking the same language' bit, it certainly helps =)

zapzap

BenDi - you received an email from someone called Ee Ting? the email add ends ... with .se

Going down to my BS to discuss my wedding gown design this sat. hopefully, it turns out well...

how are you, girls?

janf

bzy nellie.. so much work to do..

talking abt speaking same lingo.. Bridal Concept oso hainan mais! the lady boss is hainanese.. we got little extras juz by speaking same lingo.. the lady boss luff luff so happily until hub ask for anythg oso ok.. keke.

hilsywong

hey ladies, been busy lately too...

wow, din know that bridal concept's boss is hainanese... hehe... ok, next time someone getting married in the family, will get them to check it out
happy.gif

janf

AD PG, allan dai oso hainanese! we wana engage his svcs initially but due to chg of AD, got to use other PG..

haywiregirl

kismet23, yes I am buying my wedding gown, think I am the simpliest bride to her as I know nuts about gown esp. material, I'll leave it to her to turn me a princess.and you know what, I only went to one BS, that's dang bridal.
Nellie Tan, i didn't receive anything yet.
Oh dear, allan dai from which company?

kitty_li

wow, this thread moves really fast! I'm a bit lost liaoz....hehs.

Speaking of hainanese vendors, my cousins engaged a hainanese PG for their weddings some years back. It was very helpful, coz it made grandma feel at ease easily, and the PG could speak to her to get her to smile also...

janf

bendi - allan doesnt hv a company. he works frm a home in toa payoh. scurry csi's cousin engaged him for AD few yrs back bah..

zapzap

Hi ah mais,

I went to discuss my wedding gown design yesterday at my BS. Tried a few designs and finally settled. Yeah! so excited now! Will be going for my 1st fitting in August. So, now my concentration is on losing weight - 3.5" from my butt...

BenDi - It's ok lah.

hilsywong

hey Nellie, how exciting!!! Pray tell what your WG is like?

Hi everybody else!! Aiyah, didnt know about these hainanese vendors, else will check them out earlier. Sometimes people just tend to be nicer when they know you're same dialect (esp since hainanese probably considered a minority dialect grp). When my mum went to buy jewellery for me, there's this sales assistant who married hainanese and tried to speak hainanese to us... really makes us feel more chummy... and she even helped us ask the boss of more discount...kekekekeke

kitty_li

hi Misty,

yah lorh...totally agree with you manz! Sometimes they might be nicer coz same dialect...

if only I had known of them earlier...

zapzap

my wedding gown design is haltered-neck/A-line.. wanted the sheath but my butt is just too big!!!

It's my birthday today and I got the best present today, my love nest!!!

It just happened! I'm so over-whelmed!!! now i got another to stress again!