Greece - Honeymoon

chipndale

ours was a package from J3 travel- basically included 3n each in athens, mykonos, santorini, air tickets to & fro, ferry tickets and all transfers. we upgraded to the 4* hotels and paid ~ 2500/pax in all? not cheap la.. but didnt want the hassle of arranging on our own.

mykonos was more fun cos it was easier to get to town by a shuttle bus. but santorini's views just took our breaths away. miss greece lots.. but HATE THE FOOD! UGH.

piglet81

Hey Jules

Thats our budget as well.. no more than 5k preferably. Is J3 travel good? Do they take care of you 2 from beginning till end?

Mind sharing your email addy? Or you email me? [email protected]

Guess I've got numerous questions to ask you on greece.. hee...

chipndale

hi tingsly,

what would u like to know? i went on a 11d/9n trip in oct last year with j3. it was a free&easy trip.

we stayed 1 n in athens, then took ferry next day to mykonos. in mykonos, stayed for 3n at petasos beach hotel. we went to look at the beaches, and visited the town. also took a day trip to delos. spent another 3n in santorini where we took a trip to visit the volcano island- palea and nea kameni.. then it was back to athens for another 2n where we had a city tour and visited acropolis.

basically it was a very relaxing trip.. whichw as what we wanted for our HM. 3n each is sufficient for the islands, though i wish i had time to visit more greek islands such as cyclades, etc.. personally felt that athens was not worth spending time in, since I am not a fan of ruins.. just seeing acropolis is enough for me.
happy.gif

elite88

Hi all

I am planning to go Greece for my HM next year. I definitely will include Santorini & Mykonos in my itinerary. Just that I am in a dilemma whether to shorten my stay at the islands to include a 4 day classical tour to Olympia, Delphi amd Kalambaka.

Anyone can advise? Are the above mentioned places worth going? Or should I spend more days at the islands instead?

Thanks!

stepford

Hi Wendy, I personally think Santorini and Mykonos are worth two days each. The sunset view from Oia Village, Santorini is truly awesome, nothing I have ever seen before. Mykonos is exciting with its vibrant night life and the myriad of interesting shops. Almost must visit is Delos, which is a day trip from Mykonos. After Delos and after Acropolis, I'm not so sure if you would be keen to visit Olympia, Delphi and Kalambaka, cos it would be stones, stones, and more stones. We did drive to Nfphalio and to Epidaraus Theatre. You might want to consider visiting Crete and even Rhodes. Greece is more about island hopping, less focus on mainland. Just my suggestion. Cheers.

elite88

HI Stepford

Thats what Im afraid too. 4 days of looking at stones might end up to be quite bored. But there is this Meteora at Kalambaka that is very breathtaking I heard. Anyone went there before?

Hi Stepford

Is your trip in Greece F&E?

chipndale

stepford,
u are very funny! but it was what me and hubby thought as well.. think 2 days of looking at rocks and ruins (that frankly look alike to an untrained eye like mine!) is more than enough! would rather spend more time hanging around on the islands.

conversely, we thought 3nights each on mykonos and santorini were just nice.. not too long, and not too short. this was especially cos we were on HM, and determined to take it nice and easy and just enjoy each other's company after a hectic wedding! as stepford suggested, might be a good idea to include crete and rhodes in ur trip as well. 2 nights in athen is more than enough. IMO, nothing much in athens except the city tour and acropolis.

stepford

Wendy, I skipped Meteora after realising that you can't get into the monasteries. Can only view from afar so it's not worth the trip then. And yes, my trip was totally F&E. Do you know that it's quite cheap to catch a flight to Paris or other parts of Europe? We took Olympia Airlines to Paris after Greece.

Jules, yah, after 2-3 days of stones, we were positive that we had enough! :)

elite88

Hi Stepford. I was planning to go Paris after Greece too! But was so worried that it will be expensive and alot of hassle to do so. Which airlines did you book? Did you fly to Athens, then take Olympia Airlines to Paris, then fly back from Paris? How much extra do you need to pay for the air tickets?

I have did some caculations under J3 travel and Aegean Thesaurus. And realise that I need a min of 2K per pax for F&E 10 days in Greece (including 4 star accomodation, transfer, ferry tickets, some land tours, excluding meals). If add air tickets of approx $1.2K, then the total cost will add up to be 3.2K per pax. Is it expensive?

stepford

It was very fuss free. We just bought the tkts online. Can't exactly remember how much cos' we went in Oct'05. :)

Dunno what's the market rate for land tours in Greece cos' we went everywhere on our own, booked our accomm and ferry tkts through the net. Meals wise, if you eat Greek food, it's actually very affordable.

elite88

Can I check with you which airlines did you take that allows you to fly to Athens and fly back from Paris? And the airline that you mentioned is it Olympic Airlines? I have check the website and the rates from Athens to Paris is about 900 Euros lei which is about S$1,800 per person!

stepford

Wow! That's a hefty price. We most certainly did not pay that amt. Try Zuji or Priceline. I usually get my tkts from there. We took SQ to Athens and return to Sg from Paris. And yes, we took Olympic Airlines from Athens to Paris.

annpaul

hi people, our honeymoon will be in early may 07. read that its the best time to visit greece! what blessings! we've been planning to go greece! btw we want something romantic and hassle free. so definitely not going with groups. when u mention free and easy, you mean to book everything here in singapore or you go there then book? things like hotel, land transfer and tours...basically wana ask how to go about booking free and easy for greece? are all information/booking available online? if so, where should i go? things like transfer like island to island? what mode and how to book?

is it safe & easy to rent a car and drive around ourselves? this is only for mainland yeah? how do you travel about on the islands? or just stay around the hotel and nothing much elsewhere on the island?

is it safe generally in greece? are there robbery and thefts? we're concerned withe security. dont wanna stress ourselves with things like loss of stuff while on HM. thanks for your advice! =P

chipndale

hi annpaul, i went in oct 2005 with J3 travel.. it was free and easy- basically J3 arranged the flights, transfers from airport to hotel/ferry port to hotel, ferry tickets (which is the mode of transfer from island to island) and hotel accomodation. so basically, all we had to do was to plan our activities in the day on our own once we were settled on the island. no need to fuss abt how to get from hotel to seaport or stuff like that. the package is something like this : http://www.j3travel.com/Tour/Tour_Europe_Greece_Enchanting_Greek_11D_j3.htm

on the islands, we mainly took the shuttle bus services. pretty easy to get around, cos the last bus for mykonos was at 10pm everyday.

greece was very safe.. the islands are safest, we didnt feel stressed or threatened by the pp around. athens, being a big city, is generally more zha2 (messy) but it was otw still quite safe moving around on our own in athens. our main mode of transport in athens was the train/MRT.

kxbc

I used Aegean Thesaurus Travel (recommended by fellow forumer) when I visited Greece in Oct 06. They are good. Check out their website. http://www.thesaurus.gr/index.htm

I booked their 4 day classic land tour which was professionally conducted. The hotels during those few nights were good. People on the same tour group (mostly Canadians, Americans, a couple of NZ) were fabulous and very punctual. Very good experience. Would suggest this rather than drive around as the tour guide will give you a very good insight into the history of the places you will visit. Else, you will just be seeing lots of ruins without understanding the history if you do it yourself.

Aegean Thesaurus also assisted in booking accomodation, ferry bookings, port transfers, airport transfers for us. I suggest booking hotels from them as they seem to be able to get better prices, even lower than those published in the hotel's website.

Book ferry tickets with them as well. They will call you if the ferry is cancelled so that you do not need to make a wasted trip to the port. I know because our ferry to Santorini was cancelled due to bad weather and Aegean called me in the morning to arrange for another night stay in Athens (it was a night ferry).

You can practically booked everything with them. They don't charge you extra, eg ferry prices charged were similar to prices printed on tickets. I think they get a commission cut from the hotels, ferry co etc. But they do charge a few tens of Euros for mailing our ferry tickets to our Athens hotel though.

As for safety concerns, Greece is a safe country. I felt safer in Greece than say Spain or France which are very safe also. Note: I travel F&E in France and Spain. Of course you do however need to take the usual precaution in taking care of your stuff like not leaving your handbag unattended, unzipped etc.

barbapapa

hi KXBC,

I am thinking of getting Aegean Thesauraus for my HM pacakage but the prices they quote me is a bit scary. How much do they charge you for the trip you went?

nuaster

hi ladies,
I am also planning to have HM in Greece.
Now trying to look around for deals.
Blue, when will you be going?
I was thinking of getting the airline tics during NATAS and get the accomodation and ferries done by an agency..may look up pricebreaker or insight. How much did Agean quote you for?

barbapapa

hi nuaster,

i'm going in mar 07. i booked my tour during the natas travel last yr. but i want to extend the trip to santorini and mykonos . they quoted me 535 euros per pax. which is quite steep leh. so in the end decided to just go santorini. still waiting for their reply on that.

but i think u can get the tickets fm any airline that are having sale. then u go thru the agency for ur accomodation and ferries. The greek agency has quite comprehensive tours available.

barbapapa

mine is the guided tour with a singaporean tour agency and then i will be extending on my own to the islands with the greek agency.

well, if u want u still can go greece in mar 07. There are still seats left for this greece tour if u r interested. the cost is 2299 per pax. reasonable i think. go to chan brothers to have a look at their iternary. its a 10 days tour.

nuaster

Thanks blue.
Oh my HM is not so early. Mine is in June.
but 2299 is quite a good deal! thanks for the info! will go there to take a look

tingsly

Hi Blue,

Me and my hubby will be going to Greece in Mar 07 too.. when is your departure date? We are going for free & easy 2nites in Athens & 4 nites in Santorini..

barbapapa

hi tingsly, my departure date is on the 10th march. but the tour is not confirmed yet. we are going to santorini too. but the island trip is done by ourselves. the athens 10day tour is done by chan brothers....

kxbc

Hi blue

Sorry for not replying earlier as I did not track this topic.

I cannot really remember Agean's quote but I find it reasonable. Your quote may have been higher as you may have opted for more expensive accomodation and ferry tickets. I went for economy ferry tickets and "C" class hotels listed in their site. Both "C" class hotels in Santorini (King Thiras) and Naxos (Grotta Hotel) were good, clean, accessible. I am not one for fancy hotels.

If you are going to Santorini and opt for a hotel with a caldera view, note that you may probably have to lug your luggage up and down the widning stairs before you even reach the lobby of your hotel. King Thiras does not have a caldera view but I still get the view when I have my lunch and dinner at the many restaurants there.

Most agencies will charge quite a lot for airport transfers to the hotel and back. Taking a cab from the Athens airport to hotel is amuch cheaper alternative. Taking the MRT from Athen to Pireaus (or the other way round) is also a cheaper alternative than cab. All locals I ask recommend this option as it is faster, much cheaper (Euro 1 vs more than Euro10) and you won't get "cheated" by taxi drivers who may go one big round.

But please do not scrimp on transport from the Santorini port to your hotel. Get Agean to arrange pickup for you. It is one big mess when you disembark from the ferry. It's good to see someone picking you up rather than trying to get a cab (cabs are very limited on the island). From the hotel back to the port, you can save some money by asking your hotel to pre-book a taxi for you. It's much cheaper than booking from Agean. Some hotels provide free drop off to the port as well.

I see you are taking Chan Brothers. I would like to suggest you drop that. Athens is easily navigated on your own (but I can be biased as I am very familiar doing F&E in Europe). Take the 4/5 day Classic Tour from Aegean. It's good. You get to join a tour with foreigners. They are jovial and very punctual, unlike most Singapore tour groups (that's why I never join Singapore guided tours). Guide is knowlegeable and accomodation is good.

Have a good trip.

barbapapa

Hi KXBC,

I'm like to do free and easy in europe too and have done that for last 5 years. but for country like greece, i had my doubts. so maybe i thought just relax a bit loh. anyway i paid deposit already. However the tour is not confirmed yet. if it does not work out, we'll do a F & E then.

As for agean, i asked them for their opinion on just accomodation in Santorini, it seems that they gave me a ONE figure per pax and when i compared to what i researched individually, it was way way cheaper that what agean has quoted. What i can say is that this agency is NOT TRANSPARENT in their prices. They gave me economy ferry tickets and i asked for a grade B hotel. I checked with Dolphin Hellas agency and they are pretty transparent in their rates and there are no hidden charges. In fact, their costs are way lower than what Agean quoted. That is why i'm really baffled why Agean is recommended.

Thanks for the tip on getting to piraeus port via Metro. I've done my homework and we are about to do just that.
happy.gif
As for the transport from Santorini port to the hotel, i checked....its really near the port so i don't really need it. I'm prepared for the hike up....

we'll see how it goes!

annpaul

Hi all, my HM is in May and we're planning to go greece. But we're having problems trying to book our tour. We want to go F&E. Meaning air tix, hotel and transfer only. but very very few agencies do greece. can share with me which agencies besides J3 and Aegean do such trips to greece? Hows the experience and can share your quotation as well as itinerary? We definitely want to go Mykonos and Santorini. And wont wanna spend more than 2 days in Athens. Any suggestions which other islands worth visiting? Or should we just stay in this 2 islands and take day trips out?

we heard its very very expensive to stay in Santorini so we're thinking maybe needa get accomodation on other islands. aiyoh so many things to weigh. btw we're looking at a 2 week HM. please do share your experience and research!

thanks thanks! [email protected]

annpaul

Hi all, my HM is in May and we're planning to go greece. But we're having problems trying to book our tour. We want to go F&E. Meaning air tix, hotel and transfer only. but very very few agencies do greece. can share with me which agencies besides J3 and Aegean do such trips to greece? Hows the experience and can share your quotation as well as itinerary? We definitely want to go Mykonos and Santorini. And wont wanna spend more than 2 days in Athens. Any suggestions which other islands worth visiting? Or should we just stay in this 2 islands and take day trips out?

we heard its very very expensive to stay in Santorini so we're thinking maybe needa get accomodation on other islands. aiyoh so many things to weigh. btw we're looking at a 2 week HM. please do share your experience and research!

thanks thanks! [email protected]

psboo

Hi all, I'm planning for my HM in December and I'm just wondering whether it would be a good time to visit Greece then. Thank you.

kxbc

Blue,

I am quite baffled about your experience with Agean as I had received good service and the prices were good. Hotel accomodation was below the hotel's rate and the ferry tickets were exactly the same as those published in the ferry company's sales booth.

Anyway, pls take my advice and book the transport from Santorini port to your hotel. Do not save those few euros. It looks near from port to hotel but did you know that the port is around 100m below the hotel? And to get there, you have to lug your luggage via winding roads? My trip up by car took 10 min with no traffic and it is relatively steep with no clear walking lane. You can go search the net for pics of the port and the road up then you can make your decision again. But if you really choose to walk, I guess that's your choice.

barbapapa

Hi KXBC,

Isn;t there a cable car going up to the top from the port? I've read the guide books that there are also donkeys going up as well... ha ha ...

Did you see that when u were there?

chipndale

I agree with KXBC totally.. pls book/pre-arrange ur transfer from santorini port to ur hotel. the cable car station at the port is quite far from where u alight from the ferry. and u really dont wanna take the donkeys with all ur luggage.. the road up really stinks with all the donkey s**t. and the main donkey path is also quite a distance from where u alight from the ferry..

when we were in santorini, we were 'left behind' by our transport as we were delayed in disembarking from the ferry. i was nearly in tears cos i had no idea how i was going to get out from the port since there was no other mode of transport available besides walking up. luckily we managed to call the travel agency and they got the driver to turn back to get us.

barbapapa

ok....i checked....its REALLY far.....wah ha ha ha i missed that area totally....ok i really do need the transfer....but strange leh...when i ask Agean if i needed a transfer from port to my hotel....he never reply on my question. instead when he quoted me the package, he just left out the transfer from port to hotel. so i assumed that it was really easy to get to the top. geesh...

kxbc

Hi Blue

There are actually 2 ferry terminals. The cable car is at the old terminal but your ferry will not berth there. It will berth at the new ferry terminal which is very far away from the new terminal. The donkey thing is for fun only. Not meant to carry you to your hotel door step. But the donkeys are cute. And their shit is very smelly.

If you do not want arranged transport which can be quite expensive, I think the public buses also ply there and will finally drop you at the Fira bus terminal. However I am not sure of the public bus timing but it should coincide with the ferry arrival. If your hotel is near the Fira bus terminal, you may wish to give it a try but be warned that it is very difficult to locate your hotel as there is no road name at all. I did not even notice any house number.

I suggest staying in Fira rather than Oia. Do Oia as a day trip. Oia is beautiful but I thought it was quite dead, especially at night. Fira is more happening and if you are the shopping kind, the shops close really late for the tourists.

I personally find the sunset in Fira more stunning than Oia. TO peacefully enjoy the sunset, best to find a restaurant by the caldera by 5+, order a drink and watch the sun set. After that, either eat there or go somewhere else to eat.

barbapapa

Hi KXBC,

Ha ha ha Thanks! Latest news! My tour is cancelled. Going Free and easy instead! looks like i'm destined to do free and easy...

Thanks for the contacts. But i think i will stick to Dolphine Hellas Agency as the staff was friendly and helpful. Fees are transparent so that i can calculate my costs.
The guy fm agean who attended to my queries was Panagiotis. his name appeared in this forum somewhere. again their fees quoted not transparent.

As in santotrini, we staying in fira as it is still winter and some of the accomodations are not open all season. i believe sunsets should look beautiful in all locations?

by the way, u mentioned abt the classical tours offered by agencies. Do you reckon they are all the same? Cos i noticed that all agency offer classical tours but they never include acropolis. The classical tour looks more like touring the neighbouring states.

kxbc

Blue

The Classic tours are organised by a few tour agencies and also sold by other agencies. You can check out Go Tours and Chat Tours. They do the tours, going to almost the same places and even staying in the same hotels. The tours are out of Athens into various parts of inland Greece.

You can easily do Acropolis yourself since you are familiar doing F&E. But you will need to read up first to fully appreciate the history behind the architecture. If you go on a Sunday, it is free admission for the Acropolis and the Agora which is just below. However, there will be quite a lot of people.

FYI, I think Panagiotis served one of the forumers here who actually recommended me Aegean. I believe she had good comments about Panagiotis. Go try Giorgos again. Worth a try. Have you actually received their quote? Their quote actually break down all the various components with its respective costs. I am not sure what you mean by not transparent? Do you mean that it is not cheap?

barbapapa

Hi KXBc,

I mentioned earlier that agean guy quoted me ONE price. When i asked for breakdown costs, he didn't do that. Which prompted me to do my own research on the individual costs, which leads to conclusion that their prices are steep and maybe out to earn a quick bucks fm tourists. Maybe the previous forummer has no problems paying so much for convenience. Ha ha..not that i'm stingy on the money. Sometimes i just can't stand being taken advantaged of by tourist agency .

Dolphine Hellas gave a breakdown of the individual costs and the prices are what you see is what u get. No hidden charges or taxes. Allows me to calculate my own costs.

Thanks for the tips KXBC!

kxbc

Blue

Really? That's strange cos I had a cost breakdown right from the start so I had never felt they are not transparent with their prices.

pinky2

Hi Blue,

What is the price which Dolphine Hellas quoted you? What did they include? Planning to go in Oct too...

barbapapa

hi pinky,

They did not quote me ONe px. They gave me rates on accomodation and tours and ferry tickets. So that means i have to choose my preferred accomodation and tours b4 proceeding. rates difer between seasons. So u need to check with them on the actual price. Winter season will normally b cheaper and i will miss out certain places of interest as they r not opened during winter.

kxbc

Pinky

Don't go in the later part of Oct as most of the hotels and restaurants would be closed for winter. Also less ferry crossings. Try for late Sep or early Oct.