Greece - Honeymoon

joteohl

hi mrc
so comforting that i am not the only one doing belated HM! ya, $$$ is a concern cos dun wanna to come back having to eat grass. but it oso mean we cant make baby now, or else cant travel! dilemma!!

och

ehh.. dun hv time to review all my photos yet, so here r a few:

athens
289064.jpg
289065.jpg
289066.jpg

santorini
289067.jpg
289068.jpg
289069.jpg
289070.jpg

lemoncake

Hi och,
The place looks very beautiful, the sky is so clear even you went there in winter!

Hi Jolene,
Yah, must plan carefully and compare different options. I came across the F&E package offered by Ananda travels, about 1.3k per pax, air france to any europe city + 2N accomdations, looks good!

starfruit

Santorini and Mykonos is beatutiful. Highly recommened place for honeymoon. Think Och has already posted some fantatsic photos of Santorini.

I thing to note thought, If its low season, i dun recommend u all to book the ferry tickets in advance as u might encounter the workers going on a strike. I was in athens 2 weeks ago and was planning to get ferry tickets to get to the other island. It was good that i did not prepurchase the tickets as they had a strike the next day. All the boats and ferrys as well as the metro was closed due to the strike. So there was no boat going out and coming in. The travel agent knew about this a few days before hand and advise us on to go the day after the strike. Anyway its best to take this into consideration when planning a trip to greece.

starfruit

Santorini and Mykonos is beatutiful. Highly recommened place for honeymoon. Think Och has already posted some fantatsic photos of Santorini.

I thing to note thought, If its low season, i dun recommend u all to book the ferry tickets in advance as u might encounter the workers going on a strike. I was in athens 2 weeks ago and was planning to get ferry tickets to get to the other island. It was good that i did not prepurchase the tickets as they had a strike the next day. All the boats and ferrys as well as the metro was closed due to the strike. So there was no boat going out and coming in. The travel agent knew about this a few days before hand and advise us on to go the day after the strike. Anyway its best to take this into consideration when planning a trip to greece.

marilyn_chh

starfruit,
strike?? this kind of thing how to plan leh? we might be going in late sept. Does it consider off peak?Just worried that if we dun have ferry ticket, then the accomodation at those islands will be wasted right? dilemma...

jolene,
if can't make in spore, then make in greece lor..hahah
lame.gif

och

heh heh, hope the pictures r enticing all of u to visit greece.

i agree with starfruit that not all ferry rides need to be planned in advance, especially if u travel during off peak season. we had bad weather the first time we tried visiting santorini too n had to change our plans last minute to go to nafplio instead.

one major annoyance i encountered occurred when we were taking the metro to the airport. there r no signs or any buttons on the ticket buying machines that fares to the airport r any different fr normal tickets, so we bot the std fare. on the metro, there were conductors checking on everybody. whoever found without the correct fare will be fined 10 euros per pax. we were quite irritated naturally, since it was an honest mistake on our part n there were no signs, no announcements to tell us we were wrong. there were a pair of backpackers in similar predicament n who had absolutely no euros left on them. so we started arguing with the conductors, who finally agreed that we only hv to pay 10 euros per pair. so remember to buy those special tickets fr the control booths b4 u get onto the metro to the airport.

lemoncake, the skies weren't always clear. in fact, abt an hr b4 sunset on our 2nd day in santorini, there was a huge downpour. i hv pictures of how dark the skies were then, but there were rainbows everywhere we turn. thankfully, this is greece n downpours dun last long since the clouds move fast. the skies cleared enuf for us to take some sunset shots. same thing happened in delphi n in mycenae.

mrc, u can ask the hotels for their change or cancellation policies. most of those i asked r fairly open to changing dates, no penalties, but change is subject to availability on the new dates. it's probably best that u ask b4 u book ur hotels.

hi jolene, mrc's suggestion is good. made in greece baby!
biggrin.gif

starfruit

ya.. the tickets on the metro to the airport is different and more expensive. U will only know if u check at the metro counter where u can buy the tickets. If u have 2 person, buy as a "pair ticket" its about 1 to 2 euro cheaper than 2 single purchase..

I did not take the metro down town. I took the bus (no. E95) from the airport cos its much cheaper and it gives me a chance to see the scenary although the journey is like 50 mins to syntagma square. To buy the ticket.. once u get out of the immigration gates into the arrival hall.. walk all the way to ur right till u come to the last exit.. it should be exit 5. get out of the glass door and u will see the kiosk to buy the bus ticket. Ticket cost u EUR2.90 per person. i read on the intenet that this ticket is valid for 1 trip on teh airport bus 9to or from the airport) as well as 24 hrs travel on all public transport in athens. However when i was at the metro station ino counter to buy the tickets, the metro guy (who is behind the info counter) told me that since 3 mths ago, they have remove this privilege meaning that the ticket is only valid for one journey to or from the airport. However, the funny thing is that all the tourits brouchres as well as posters in english that i pick up at the metro station all states that the ticket is valid for one travel to or from teh airport as well as 24hrs on all other modes of transport (metro, bus, tram etc). U girls might wanna take note of this.

starfruit

Forget to add, my hotel was very near syntagma square.. its on monastraki street actually.. so very convenient when i take the airport bus cos teh bus stop is only like 5 mins away from my hotel. If i am not wrong each metro ticket to the airport cost about 8 to 9EUR.

This site is quite good, gives u a lot of basic information that u need on athens.Its call the Athens Survival Guide.

http://www.athensguide.com/

<font color="0077aa">och</font>: i dun think u were the only tourist arguing with the metro conductors, when i was there, i saw two seperate gourp of tourist arguing with the conductors cos of the worng tickets and also one group did not validate the ticket, So girls remeber to validate the ticket (its a lieek yellow or orange box) on all the buses as well as before u enter the metro station.

<font color="0077aa">mrc</font>: er.. u r right, its quite a dilemma .. guess gotta pray that stike dun happen when u r there. I did read on a few website that mentions that this strike thing is not exactly uncommon in athens. that they do happen every now and then.

starfruit

and.. its vcery easy to get the ferry tickets to the island.. u can get it from all the travel agents in athens... and the price is about teh same everywhere.. u dun have to worry about getting cheated or that one place charges more than the other.. no need to do comparision.
BTW there are many travel agent all around central athens.

starfruit

<font color="0077aa">mrc</font>: i think late sept is starting to be off peak.. if i am not wrong the peak period is between may to august, I am not 100% sure, so its best u check again online.

och

hey starfruit, r u overseas?

oh yeah, the price of metro tickets to or from airport is 10 euros for 2 pple each way.

naze

Hi all,

I just came back frm Greece on Sun. Basically went to Athens,Santorini and Crete.

Santorini is beautiful, Crete is just too big for a short stay.

The ferries are jam packed,
if u are gng in Jue-Aug, better to book ahead. Best time to go is actually May and Sep, but according to our cab driver, Sep is the best month because evryone is trying to get your business before winter where the tourist don't come at all.

mirror

hi all,

went to greece for honeymoon during may... it's absolutely beautiful there, though we're hit by the strike on 2nd day we were there. went to Athens (a must cos s'pore flights land there), Mykonos, Naxos and Santorini. Basically would like to reccomend the guide Lonely Planet (b'day gift from my sis). Cos all my HB and i did was to book air tix here and 1st nite hotel stay in athens. the rest of the trip were booked in greece, with the guide book as our "bible". it's absolutely useful and the food they reccomend are really good. and most of the lodging they reccomend are accessible and value for money. especially the one we stayed in santorini... the view is speechless.

my fav island is Santorini. absolutely awsome, beautiful....

blueroti

hi mrc

sorry, have not been logging on to the s'porebrides website so didn't see your msg.

anyway, just to share with anyone who's planning to go greece - i went there for my honeymoon back in late april. went to athens, mykonos and santorini. and yes, santorini is beautiful!!!! 1 place u must visit is oia - it's a nice little village which is about 20-30 mins from fira (the town). there u get great views of the sunset, and we found this grill place recommended by lonely planet which was really good! the grilled chicken, lamb etc. were just sooooooo delicious! we went for dinner and actually went there for lunch the next day! the staff are nice and friendly. prices are reasonable too. can't remember the name for now but it's definitely 1 eatery u should go! and i stayed in the musuem hotel in oia. it's a small quaint hotel, not exactly cheap but good location. it's situated right smack in the middle of the town and there're shops next and opposite it. the owner is pretty friendly. the room is clean but abit small. basic facilities. but they've a verandah that you can relax in if you like.

and oh the grilled seafood in greece is generally very good! i had some delicious seafood in mykonos - my hotel was located right next to the beach and the restaurant there serves great food. mykonos is different from santorini - it's smaller and i would say more upmarket. there're lots of restaurants there and boutiques (branded stuff) and of course beautiful people. the buildings there are all blue and white - like what you see in postcards.

and what impressed me is their service staff. you can go into the shops to browse and not buy anything, and the staff would still say "thank you" to you, and with much sincerity (or so i think).

i spent 2 weeks there - split among athens,mykonos and santorini. would say that greece is a good place to go for your honeymoon, esp. when u need to unwind after your wedding. the greek islands are nice and laid back (like how it is like in a resort), and there's also some shopping. best of both worlds i would say.
spend more time on the islands - am sure u'll enjoy it.

shymz

hi all,

i'm planning to go to Greece this Oct for my honeymoon, and was wondering if it'll be a good time to go. Hope to go to Santorini (beautiful pics by och!) and was wondering how much i should budget for a 2 week trip? any advice?

ksh

Dear all,

I have booked a Turkey tour package, departing in early Aug. Looking into extension from Turkey to Greece either via flight / ferry. Anyone that has done that before - travelling from Turkey to Greece? Would like to spend the extension days in the Greek Islands eg. Mykonos and Santorini.

knottsy

Hi all,

I would like to go to Greece for my honeymoon. Can anyone recommend me any tour agencies?

Is March to April a good mths to go?

Hi och,

Can share your iterneries with me too?
my email: [email protected]

koolbel

Dear all,
I'm also hoping to go Greece for HM this dec..but unsure whether to go F&amp;E or package...
Och, do u mind sharing your itin with me too?
my email : [email protected]
Thanks in advance!
happy.gif

makino

Hi ksh,

Did you manage to find a way to travel to Greece from Turkey?

Has anyone done a tour of western Europe together with Greece before? Planning to go there from either Switzerland or London.

celine_aik

Hi Everyone!!! My hubby and I are planning to go for our honeymoon in Greece too in Nov. Advisable??? Would be great if you guys can share your iternary with us. Pls send to [email protected]. Thanks much!!!

och

hey knottsy, bb, icebaby, deremi, celine,

i sent the itin liao.

hi ksh, tsukushi,

try www.ferries.gr. it lists the international ferry lines. some greek islands are nearer to turkey than to greece, so it's very easy to take a ferry from turkey to those islands, then transfer to other islands.

from turkey, it's also possible to take a train to athens, though the ride may not be that comfortable.

makino

Hi och,

Thanks for the link, but have you heard of travelling to Greece from either UK, France or Switzerland? Or vice versa? No package covers Greece together with Western Europe...

och

hi tsukushi,

so far, the most common method of reaching greece from western europe is to travel to italy and then take a ferry over. otherwise, you can check budget airlines for flights from other europeans cities.

knottsy

Hi och,

Thanks for your itinerary.
by the way, do you think if i want to go greece from mid mar to apr, is it a good time?
Some tour agencies told me that its still considered "winter" time and most shops are closed.....is it true that the shops are closed and there is nothing to shop or see?

pple

Hi Och,

Read so much abt Greece honeymoon from you in this thread... Am really tempted to do my F&amp;E trip to Greece for my HM next yr...
happy.gif

Can you send me the itinerary too?
Thanks alot!
happy.gif

maroz

hihi me just came back from greece for honeymoon. went to athens, mykonos and santorini. would definitely recommend u gals to go... but i dun have an itinery like och..

but if u have any questions, pls feel free to ask... will be glad to share the information...

makino

Hi maroz,

Got tons of qns!
happy.gif

- Did you go on F&amp;E? If not, which agency?
- How many days?
- How much did you spend on it?
- How is the place? Quiet? Peaceful? Safe? Easy to communicate with the locals?

Thanks for sharing!

maroz

hi tsukushi,

- went on Ananda travel package. the 12 days one... so the package cost 2,838 per pax, excluding tax, which is 390 per person. we took thai airway.

when we booked, they said there were no more tix for emirates. if not, the emirates cost 2,488 (or someting like tt) for the 12 days package...

we spent total of abt $2.4k on expenses and gifts. the place is beautiful... esp the island

ok, we went to athens, delphi, argolis, mykonos and santorini. for athens, its more of looking at the ruins, same goes for delphi and argolis. delphi and argolis are one day trip from athens and back. but the scenary along the way is beautiful, u will see the other side of greece (the mountainous view). didnt noe tt 75% of greece was occupied by mountains

i like santorini more.. cos the scenery is simply awesome... tink u can see the photos posted by och

the pple there generally noe how to speak english. eng is their second language. so no prob communicating with them. but dun expect fantastic service from them... they kind of laid bac and bo chap... cos tourism is their no. 1 industry.. sot lots of pple flocking to visit their country. they no need to care abt service...

but actually, i would tink it is better to book everyting on ur own.. cos we were not really satisfied with ananda... we had no choice cos we were pressing for time...

the place is generally safe from my perception...

tsukushi, when u planning to go?

sweetspuppy

Hi gals,

If you're into history, then I wld suggest taking a European tour agency like Insights, Cosmos, etc. They are more expensive than the S'pore agencies but they include more locations across the country.

If you're into the beach, it's best to extend on your own on one of the islands. It's safe &amp; you can really enjoy hanging out. Can stay at guest house if you're not fussy. It's safe &amp; cheaper than hotel. If you prefer to play safe, can still stay at hotel.

Only caution is...be careful of Ouzo. It's a local liquor that's so cheap but lethal. For S$10, you can get a bottle at the restaurant &amp; 3 big glasses at the discos &amp; u'll be floating the whole nite! Also, don't over-drink before you go on the cruise...it double-whammy!

makino

Hi maroz,

I think I saw from the lonely planet show that the locals don't speak much English, so I was initially a bit apprehensive. Do you have photos to share?? Planning to go in May, tentatively. Book everything on your own, means taking the free &amp; ez package?

Hi sweets, thanks for your info too! How does those local tours from Insight &amp; etc work? 'cos may not really want to worry about transport and accomodation on a honeymoon. Will watch out for Ouzo too!
happy.gif

och

hi skyblu, clover, icebaby,

the itin has been sent. sorry it took so long, i haven't been checking the forums lately.

sweetspuppy

Hi tuskushi, you can book these European tour agencies through local tour agencies. Some of them come with the cruises, which can range from 1-day to 3-day cruises. This ensures you have a ticket.

The island stays can be free &amp; easy. It's not so hard to get around. The Lonely Planet is a pretty accurate guide for Greece &amp; their islands. I had not problem going around with just 2 gals as well. But you'll need to travel a little lighter coz it's not easy to lug a luggage around the islands as it's mostly walking.

Also, can go trek Europe's 2nd longest gorge in Crete. Beautiful!! But don't try if you're not fit!

maroz

Hi tsukushi,

booking everyting on ur own means u book the airfare and accomodation on ur own. then book the tours thru the local tour agencies. u can choose wat u want too. it's better. but of course, it means u need to do more research too.

for me, since i have only gone to athens, mykonos and santorini, i can only share info on these with u...

for athens, u can book the half day city tours, or one day tours to delphi and argolis thru the tour agencies there. ours was one called G.O. tours. i noe there is one Gate1 tours which alot of ang mohs go too. usu, they will pick up passengers from their hotels, and send them bac to their hotels after the tours. so no worries on transport.

for mykonos, basically, there is only the town and beaches. no need for any tours. the town is easy to walk around as it is not very big, and they do sell town maps at supermarkets to guide u along. there is a bus from the beaches to the town, so again, no worries on tranport too.

for santorini, we stayed in fira (the town). there are buses to different beaches and other towns like oia. there are oso local tour agencies in fira, so u can book the cruises to visit volcano from there... its all very easy... so do try it!

if given a chance, i would definitely want to visit more islands, or the crete, like wat sweets did! but too bad, no time for such a long holiday =(

i do have photos to share, just tt they are not really ready yet... my husband haven sort them out yet... will share with u once its ready.

may should be a good time to go!! so enjoy!

Hi sweets,
for ouzo, i tried a bit, but i hate it! it takes like lambourghini without the flames to me... only drank one sip i tink in my entire trip hehe