Goodwood Park Hotel

dazednconfused

Lindy,

I hope it helps! Having your banquet in Aug. may be to your advantage! Due to work committments, my fiance and I can't have ours till Nov. 2005. Year-end weddings and D&D functions are extremely popular, so GWP has the upper hand. Simple economics. Supply and demand theory. So, have to be nice to them and work them from that angle. Be nice to them and they'll be nice to you too!

dazednconfused

Cha bo,

Hmmm... I'm biased lah. GWP is IT for me. I visited the Amara. My fiance and I didn't like the location of the hotel, nor did we find the interior appealing. Have you gone down to check the Amara out?? The poolside is so-so. Can't really compare with the Mayfair Pool. Ambience too, in our opinion, isn't as grand as the GWP. But that's just our opinion lah! To each his own. We loved the GWP as soon as we walked in. Met the coordinator and looked at the Tudor Ballroom. Lagi fell in love with the place! Signed the contract and looked at the Mayfair Pool. SOLD on the idea of GWP for both solemnisation and dinner banquet! So you see... How not to be biased?? Perhaps I'm not the right person to ask. Have you read the comments on the Amara thread? It may shed some light into this. But its best to go down and visit them for yourself. Make an appointment with your fiance to visit them. In fact, to add some romance into it... make a date out of it...

dazednconfused

Hello tifa,

No. The Mayfair Pool we so love is not the one where the cafe is. It's a rather exclusive pool. Smaller than the main pool. Surrounded by lush greenery and lovely poolside suites! I sound like a walking, talking ad for the GWP!! Hahaha...

lindy_koh

hi L.S,
e pool is such a great place aint it? but we wil most likely have the cocktail only at the poolside coz we will have e march-in and Holy Matrimony at e Tudor Terrace itself, so that all our guests can enjoy it. Too much trouble and not possible to have everyone outside.(though it would be nice). still i have to agree that GWP has such character with its intricate interior details that you can only find at national heritage buildings. e other one would be raffles, but i didnt like it as much as GWP. me same as u, feel in love w GWP e moment i saw it, very diff from the usual 5-star hotel that are normally very corporate looking.=P

dazednconfused

Lindy,
You said it! GWP is very different from the usual 5-star establishments. The whole atmosphere is so...dare i say... CLASSY and English... You must excuse my thinking in my powderful Engrish accent... heheh...

What else is there to say?? GWP is great. I love it. My fiance loves it. We're gonna make darn sure we enjoy every moment we spend in it...

dilemmagal

Lindy

It's a surprised that u are holding yr wedding in Aug (lunar 7th mth). It's gd that both of yr parents are not "ban dang". My AD is less than 1 mth now, will be meeting Jacquelyn on 1st wk of Jan to discuss details.

Junnie
Will u be doing a trial march in before AD? I will be doing it. Btw, forgotten which BS you took? Y the photos took so long. 1 wk b4 wedding.

LS
I agree that if u are nice to co-ordinators of GWP, they will be nice too? So far, I hv no problems with my sales mgr. She is real nice friendly sales staffs.

junnie

Hi Dilemmagal/Lindy

My pics are taken by Chris Ling.. Ya lor..we chose the pics liao but they will only give us one week prior the wedding as the CD rom they gave us we pass it to Moo Media to do our photo montage.. hahaha..what to do they all need our pics..yep will do a trial march in..just spoke to my hubby what song he said "Come what may"...

lindy_koh

hey junnie,
Chris Ling is also taking our outdoor shots (we didnt want any studio shots =P). have u seen the pix?? i really duno what to expect for e shots. My BIL wil be taking our actual day. i actually paid a deposit for actual day with Eugene, but i duno if they can transfer my deposit for actual day to outdoor...hope can...my BIL takes lovely AD photos.. and i noe he wil be generous with his photos! wil prob also be askin my BIL to do our montage and he can do as many collages as we want! so blessed!!!

hey Dilemmagal,
yeah, all the hotels we went to and everyone else kept askin if we were sure we wanted to do our wedding then, but my parents were like "we also not pantang, u pantang meh??".thank God they are really liberal and they said not to go out of our way just to please others, coz its OUR wedding. which is also why they suggested just having closed family and all friends coz too much trouble inviting older relatives, most wil be whining about why 7th month... plus i'm e younger sibling, so no prob.and my fiance family also intend to only invited direct family. so u can say we are super blessed!!!=)

tinting

Hi L.S.,
I donno whether wanna go and take a look at Amara.. 'cos i really like GoodWood Park... As I said lor, if it is not my fiance, I'll surely book on the day i visited the place... I agreed with you, the ambience is v. different compared to Amara... More cozy and romantic...

The most importantly, the coordinator is very friendly and helpful..
happy.gif

Mmmm.... I hope I can change my fiance mind. I told him tonite that I really like GWP and I do not wish to look for another venue.. heheheh...

Hey Lindy,
How's Wedding Present? Is the package expensive? I've seen some of their portfolios.. really professional and outstanding...
Another sensitive question, is it expensive to engage ppl like Andrew Choi or Chris Ling?? Could you send some details to me??
I'm planning to sign up a package next year.. Anyway, my AD is on 2007.. :p
My email add is [email protected]

t_i_f_a

Hi L.S.

Do you have any idea the Mayfair Pool can cater for how many pax? Is it possible to have a tea reception there?

sorry for so many qns.

thks.

lindy_koh

Hi Cha Bo,
TWP is professional n u can expect lovely gowns w great details. if u goin for MTM w Photography (studio & outdoor) its about $4988. U can go to the website and send an email and you wil receive a auto response. i find e packages reasonable for the kind of quality u are getting and the photographers are all the reputable ones. I booked Chris Ling directly and the outdoor shots (without studio) was about $1800. Of course, it does cost more to have Chris himself do the shots, its slightly cheaper if you were to book one of his partners instead. they do really nice stuff too, its more a difference in style thats all.

wow, ur AD is a long way to go. u mite only be able to book much later, but to do check and see if you can book with e current rate. as far as i noe, hotels dun take bookings too early in advance,coz then they have to give u the existing rates..hahhaha...

preci0usm0ments

hi ladies,
hubby and i have recently added GWP to our shortlisted hotel. the thing is, i've written to the co-ordinators but they haven't get back to us yet
sad.gif
it has been 2 days and i'm wondering if i should push for reply.

wonder if any ladies can give me comments on the venue? i heard that it's quite dark. if i wan it outdoor, do i have to pay additional charges for backup plans? is it true that swimming pool can b seen from the reception area?

so sorry that i asked so much
sad.gif

tinting

Hi Lindy,

Indeed TWP is on the high side.. I've just visited their website.. Their gows are really nice and different. And I've seen Andrew Choi works, it's really nice.. Chris Ling, not really.. :p Do you have any webistes that link to his works? Will like to take a look.

Yeah, i'm a bit kia su.. not oledi look look see see... Actually should be next year, due to house and etc... so, we decided to postpone it. Anyway, we're still v. young too.. and I have enuff time to go on diet (me fat fat) and also look look see see for more ideas..

Oh, u mean the hotel packages might be cheaper if I book later? Actually quite worried, 'cos we might chose 07/07/07 or 20/07/07.. These are all hot dates... SO, might need to book early... hehehe...

Last request, can see some of ur wedding pictures after you've taken the pictures?? hehehe for reference.. my email is [email protected]

dazednconfused

tifa,
I believe the maximum number of people allowed at the Mayfair Pool is approx. 30. You should check with the sales coordinators, of course. Because of the location of the Mayfair Pool, it's not possible to have a tea reception there if you want it buffet style. According to my coordinator, Jeanie, food service at the Mayfair Pool has to be butler-style.

Don't worry about asking questions lah! We're all here to help each other out!

cha bo,
I think Lindy is right. Ask GWP how far in advance you can place your booking. In the meantime, if there's still time to scout around, make your fiance happy and do it with him lah! No harm, right?

lilac,
A good idea is to call them. Its the end of the year and there are normally MANY functions held at hotels at this time. So, the sales coordinators are usually extremely busy. Jacqueline and Jeanie are very nice people to deal with. You and your fiance should have no trouble getting them to help you once you have made the initial phone call and speak with them.

As far as the venue goes, we GWP brides LOVE the place. Some of us will be having our banquet in the Tudor Terrace while others (like myself) are planning to have it in the Tudor Ballroom. Both have different "feels" to them. The former is a tent, so the atmosphere is a little more laid-back... casual. Then there's the Tudor Ballroom, which can only hold a max. of 23 or 24 tables. The ballroom is grand and very cozy. Unlike ballrooms of other hotels where they can accommodate very large numbers.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dark". The lighting can be turned up or down to your liking. About your question on the swimming pool... I'm assuming you mean the main swimming pool at GWP. Yes, it can be seen from the hotel's reception area. But they have another pool - the Mayfair Pool- which is a rather exclusive pool. Tucked away. Not many people know about this pool. Hence, it makes an ideal place for a solemnisation ceremony.

It's best to call the coordinators up and make an appointment to speak with them. They'll show you around the hotel and tell you about the different options available. Hope that helps!

preci0usm0ments

hiya L.S~ wow, can tell that you are really impressed with GWP
happy.gif
called them up yesterday but Jeanie is on leave till Friday, guess i can only call next week?

anyone here had their wedding ourdoor or seen their layout? can share their experience?

we can't decide if we want outdoor or ballroom. ballroom looks so nice and grand from pics.. but outdoor would be interesting too.. something new.
can't decide
sad.gif
confused..

lindy_koh

Hi Cha Bo,
Chris Ling was e first photographer i visited so i just booked him, he's style is more "raw" so he has some portfolios that are really out of the norm from the "mei-mei" and sweet romantic shots. i like that, coz i want my photos (am only taking outdoor) to be a lil different and special and i think Chris will be able to deliver that. Andrew's work is nice too. My advise is not to save on photography as its only once u get to take these pics, and a good photographer can really bring out e beauty of u & ur fiance and gown!=)

tinting

Hi L.S.
Last nite i just tok to my boy boy that I do not wanna look for other banquet liao. I've told him that if he wants, then he gotto do his own scouting.. hehehe...

I've tried a few like, burkhill hall, then, sentosa and Amara... Burkhill, you gotto go your own coordinating or engange a wedding consultant to plan for you. So, may be hectic... then sentosa, my boy boy doesn't like it, too far and v. inconvinient for those who do not have own transportation. Amara, well need to go there, look look see see lor...

I'm more into ambience... heheheh Once in a lifetime le... Must do sui sui one...:p

Hi Lindy,
A friend of mine took up Wedding Present's package. At first i didn't know, but then, I really think that her pictures are really very very nice and natural.. last nite then i know it's from Wedding Present.

junnie

Hi Lindy,

Saw the pics liao..not too bad infact i like the studio one better than outdoor..hahaha.. cos in Nov is a raining season thus we cut down a lot on outdoor so thats why studio looks better..hehehe..he is a very nice guy to work with, very encouraging "Smile u look so pretty" etc..makes u feel like a super woman.. we took whatever amount of pics we are given (8R form) not the one with collages..so no need to top up (thats require alot of self control too..hahaha)Hubby was so thankful that i did not burn a hole in his pocket.. hehehe..
Dont worry Chris is a very nice person.. and his pics are good too!!

lindy_koh

hi junnie!
so happy to hear that!!! now i cant wait to do my PS, but i gota wait til June!=P

Cha Bo,
TWP has tie up with a few photographers so its up to you which u like best. but i feel that they are all fab. very reputable and great works. u can see their portfolio at TWP too.

The outdoor shoot itself with Chris Ling costs about $1800. this is w/o studio. Chris is little pricier than Kelvin and e rest, but coz he's the boss and w the most experience.hehehe...like i said, go for the one with e works that u like e most and talk to the photographer himself if u can.

dazednconfused

Hi cha bo,
You stood your ground, huh? Anyway, since your wedding isn't till 2007, you've got plenty of time!

lilac,
When are you planning to hold your wedding? You should go down to the GWP and see for yourself. Don't have to speak to the coordinators first just to have a look at their ballroom and marquee. This Saturday may be a good day to check them out. I'm sure there're functions planned since it's New Year's Day. If you go about 5ish or 6pm, they should be getting the ballroom and marquee ready for the evening functions. Decorations for weddings differ to that of D&Ds, so do keep that in mind if you see that the decor isn't weddingish!

preci0usm0ments

L.S~ guess you're the only one ard giving tips
happy.gif
thanks so much.
i'm aiming for 2006, so i guess now is abit too early for the hotel staff to advise.
is the marquee always there? where is it located? maybe i'll go take a peek this Sunday
happy.gif

dazednconfused

lilac,
Most welcome! Everyone on this thread is helpful. I think most are shaken by the devastation the tidal waves caused. I know lots of people are watching the news a lot lately. It's terrible, isn't it? So many people lost their lives! So many more left homeless and without families.

That's why I come to this forum. To get away from the harsh reality. Even for a little while. Its rather therapeutic.

The marquee, or the Tudor Terrace, is located a little ways from the ballroom. As far as I know, it'll be there for the time being, but I'm not sure if GWP has any plans to remove it. It generates business for them, so I would think they would want to keep it.

I don't think it's too early to enquire about your banquet venue. My fiance and I started scouting around in Oct this year and we discovered that most ballrooms were already snapped up for all the Saturdays in Nov. '05. Seriously. We had to move our wedding date to a Friday. I know of people who booked their venue 15 - 16 months in advance. You are on the right track. It's not too early!

preci0usm0ments

sigh..ya, really sad to see so many upsetting news ard the world..but life has to go on? guess after these incidents, more ppl will know how to appreciate life.

btw, r u having solemnization together with AD?
which other hotels you shortlisted before deciding GWP?
i'll make a trip there this weekend
happy.gif

lindy_koh

hey lilac and LS,
ya, my colleague who was supposed to be in jakarta made a change of plan and went to phuket instead. he's fine but a lil shaken. he also had a close shave with e Bali bombing the last time.

Oh well, happy tots!! we are getting married!

Lilac,
take a look at GWP, if you like it, the similar hotel would be raffles hotel.four seasons is very nice as well. i was considering between FS and GWP. so i hope that helps. It really depends on what kinda style u lookin for. Coz sometimes one hotel has several options, but i've learnt that you have to do ur research and ask the staff sometimes coz there are times they do not mention that the hotel has such a function facility (coz they tot its not suitable for your criteria or they are too lazy,i really dunno) until u ask them about it. honest.not all hotels but some. so do your own research and check out e hotels websites first too. then u have a good idea of what to expect and ask.=)

dazednconfused

lilac,

Yes, life is precious indeed.

Our tentative plans include our solemnisation ceremony at the GWP Mayfair Pool on the day of our wedding. We're planning on having it done late morning, then have lunch at their cafe. The celebrations will continue in the evening with dinner at the Tudor Ballroom.

It's exciting planning and organising this big event! We also looked at The Regent, Traders and Grand Copthorne Waterfront. The Regent was also lovely. My fiance was more than willing to stop our search for a venue as soon as we walked into the lobby of The Regent. It took our breadth away! But, they require at least 23 tables on a weekday and 30 on a weekend in order to have use of their ballroom.

Traders Hotel was nice too. However, they need at least 20 tables before they can release their ballroom for our use. I didn't really like their Wedding Consultant, Thomson. He didn't seem interested in entertaining us while we were there. Instead, he sent his colleague over to speak with us halfway through our visit while he chatted with another couple. Didn't appreciate his attitude. Our appointment was with him, not his colleague. This other guy, though, Ivan, was real nice. Very friendly and knowledgeable.

Didn't particularly like the Waterfront Ballroom we were offered at the Grand Copthorne. The Wedding Coordinator, Alvin, was very helpful.

We decided on GWP for several reasons. 1)Good food. 2)Free parking for all cars parked in their compound. 2)Love the Tudor Ballroom. 3)The Deluxe Poolside Sutie is simply divine.(This isn't the Junior Suite that comes with the banquet package.) 4)Ambience is very different from other 5-star hotels. (You'll notice this immediately when you walk in.) 5)The Mayfair Pool!! 6)Friday is considered a weekday at GWP (less $$), whereas at most other hotels, Friday is considered weekend (more $$).

Compared to The Regent, GWP isn't as luxurious. BUT... the atmosphere is uniquely different. Very quaint. And we fell in love with it all. Lock, stock and barrel.

You'll see what I mean when you visit the GWP.

junnie

Hi Cha Bo,

Paiseh like i say, my pics have chosen but havent collect it yet...to see my pics i will only do it after wedding as i am really busy tying out last minute stuffs.. Hope u understand.. thanks

preci0usm0ments

hi Lindy, LS,

thanks, din know of the regent. shall put that into my hunting list too.. sigh.. actually both me and hubby have no idea at all what to look out for.
any tips to share? i only know got to consider long/short march in, high ceiling, food... wat else?

paiseh ah..super mountain tortoise

wah Lindy,
your colleague must have been super lucky, to think that he/she's there during both incident.

dazednconfused

lilac,
Those are points to keep in mind. There are others too. Like any business transaction, we like good service. We have to be able to work with these people to make our big day a success! The ceiling at the GWP ballroom isn't high. But, that wasn't a very important factor to my fiance and myself.

The suites the hotels are willing to provide is something you may want to keep in mind. Of course, in order to view a suite, you will have to make an appt. with the coordinators. My brother held his wedding dinner at the GWP almost 5 years ago. And I remember the Junior Suite he and his wife stayed in. Jeanie showed us the Deluxe Poolside Suite and we love it. Bigger than the Jr Suite and it opens into the Mayfair Pool.

The invitation cards too. If you do not wish to use the ones the hotel has, then make sure you have them replaced with something else you want, e.g. more parking coupons, larger barrel of beer, etc. Of course, parking isn't an issue at GWP.

As you visit hotels, you will get a hang of how to go about negotiating with them. Do not only visit one venue. Must shop around. Even if you come back to the first hotel you visited, at least you and your fiance would have seen what other places have to offer and you will then have better negotiating power. The same goes for selecting the bridal boutique you will be using.

Ultimately, you and your fiance must feel comfortable about this decision. We had a great time visiting hotels and checking things out! And so will you! It's all part of the process... Enjoy every moment of it.

lindy_koh

Hi Lilac,
L.S. is rite, go hunt around coz then u can safely decide on which one u both REALLY like. its hard to say what to look out for coz there are so many things; food, ambience, service,etc...but i think u'll know when u have chosen THE ONE. you'll both have a nice calming feeling about the place..cant really describe. like when i saw other hotels which were lovely and other brides just LURVE, i had a "ok" feeling and aft i left the hotel, totally forgot about the plc, ie. no deep impression. so i guess u noe what i mean. so scout around and see which one leaves the deepest impression and u can actually visualize ur wedding at. hope this helps!

preci0usm0ments

L.S,
hehe paiseh din go this week..keeps raining and guests came, so no time to go :p guess will have to wait till next week...

surprisingly, Jeanie called on New Year day to check if we received the quotes and asked when we wanna view the place... they no off on public holidays?

dazednconfused

lilac,
I think people in the service industry work during public holidays as well. Otherwise, who's going to serve the public when they're on holiday? hehehe...

When in 2006 are you planning to hold your banquet? As soon as my finace and I decided on a date, we started scouting for a venue. Even started to get a nervous when we discovered that our chosen date is considered a very auspicious date and found out that most ballrooms were already spoken for for that date. We're glad to have booked and confirmed with GWP. That's one worry off our minds and very thrilled to know that GWP has excellent service and a unique atmosphere.

preci0usm0ments

hiya L.S, planning to have it in the later part of 06.. so now got alot of time to search..
Jeanie had sent some pics of the marquee, by looking at the pic, both of us dun really like it..
hope that the grand ballroom will be more appealing to us
happy.gif

as for GCW, the coord has sent us the layout of the waterfront ballroom.. sigh... the pillars spoil everything.. right in the middle
sad.gif
i guess the guests will have hard time seeing the stage
sad.gif
there goes another hope *sob*

dazednconfused

lilac,

Ya, I too didn't like the looks of the Waterfront Ballroom at GCW. But, at least now you know what factors are important to you.

GWP has a website with pictures of the Tudor Ballroom and the Tudor Terrace. Worth checking out.

lindy_koh

Hi Lilac,
You are rite about GCW, i wasnt impressed with the ballroom at all.only the new reception area is cool. what a pity..

Four Season is quite lovely too, a little more pricey but def worth it for its lovely decor and ambience. I would def have my wedding there if i had a bigger wedding.=)

dilemmagal

To all GWP brides,

How many tables u will be tentatively booking?
My guests list is getting longer, dont knoe can hold for abt 25 tables? Otherwise, needs to get down the guests then? Sigh

Have u all start searching yr bridal shops?

Coming to my wedding soon, getting nervous? Is there anything I shld look out on the day itself?

lindy_koh

Hi L.S.
My wedding day is on 20 Aug 2005. =) now it seems soon as we are already in year 2005..hahah..

Dilemmagal,
I think i'll have to to for the min no. of tables or even try for less coz my guests only friends and direct family. as for friends i am only those really close ones..so estimate 15-18 tables. when is ur wedding again? all i can say is relax and have fun. dun expect everything to go e way u plan, things that happen unexpected, juz laugh it off. my nephew who will only be 2.5 yrs old will be my pageboy, so i am mentally prepared that he will either walk realy fast during e march or juz stand and freeze,hahahahha!!!!i think he'll be the highlight coz he's such a cute and cheeky little boy!

dilemmagal

Hi Lindy

Tat's cute. I cannot find a page boy as all my nephews are big enough? smallest pri 6. However will hv 4 flower girls, (all sisters my nieces. 2 are twins).
Actually 15 to 18 tables are comfortable in GWP. Mine right now booked for max 23 tables which I find too cramp. Must really cut down the guest list. My AD is Hari Raya day. (hee Hee)

noscon

Hi Dilemmagal and Lindy

I'm a GWP bride too. AD on 6 May 05. Great to have people to chat and discuss about your Big day!
happy.gif

I'm taking the terrace package cos want something different and im taking 18 tables.

btw im having my ROM there this sat too...
happy.gif

Dilemmagal, when is your AD year?

Lindy, Hi there fellow GWP bride!!
happy.gif
Have you thought of a color theme for your tablecloth and flowers? I'm most concerned about that cos it can frame the atmosphere of the place.
happy.gif

Take care gals

lindy_koh

hey noscon,
me not sure what colours to pick yet..will prob choose soft colours, coz my gown has a little pink and my EG is light yellow... how bout u?? heard that pink and red can be nice in the terrace..look forward to hear more as u prepare for ur big day!!! so excited for u!!!

noscon

hi Lindy

Can you let me know whether u r taking terrace or ballroom eh?
happy.gif
one of the coordinator suggested all white, she said it will be very nice but then a bit afraid it look like funeral leh... :p

my WG is white and my EG is like pink with blue... so i also dunno what colour.. thought of light pink and white together.. i went to see one wedding there with red roses.. i dun quite like it, but this is subjective cos i know some people will like it...
happy.gif

so now I try to ask when there will be wedding there else I will try to pop by on sat/sun nights when im around orchard area to take a look just to get a feel of the color theme..
happy.gif
))

thanks IM excited too, for me and for you!
happy.gif
I can of course show you my pictures...

dazednconfused

hello noscon...

Nice to know another GWP bride has found our thread! Who's your coordinator at GWP? My banquet will be in Nov. So, there's still some time to plan this whole affair. Have to decided on my gowns first before we focus on the decor.