Cooking Recipes as promised

tobebride

Hi,

Any idea how to cook those potatoes which mixed vegetable rice store sells? There is some gravy (light brownish colour) with the potato.

Thanks.

chatterbox

Hi yvonnelim,

Thanks for the input
happy.gif

Hi tobebride,
Here is my version of that potato dish.
1) Dice potatoes into small cubes/slice into thin slices
2) Either boil/fry the dices/sliced potatoes (half cooked). Usually I will boil them coz healthier.

For the sauce,
1) Finely chop garlic
2) Dark Soya Sauce (estimate accrd yr own taste)
3) Light Soya Sauce (estimate accrd to yr own taste)
4) Water
Simmer till the potatoes absorb all the gravy. Need to occasionally add the sauce and simmer it if potatoes is still not soft.. The longer you simmer, the tastier the potatoes will be.

Alternatively, u may replace the sauce with those canned braised pork (fatty pork-with gravy too). Can't rem wat the name, thk is "Hong Sao Rou". It's usually used in fried beehoon also....

Cheers
happy.gif

postpet2

hi girls,

need to ask experts on where can i get tasty wonton skins?

any good recipes to share for the wonton fillings as well?

thinking of doing some wontons/jiao zi this holiday....

chatterbox

Hi postpet2,

Normally, I get those wanton skins from the market or supermarket. They r good enough.

Here's my recipe for the fillings:-
(just based on estimation, hence can only give you the ingredients, and not the quantity)

1) Minced Pork (buy "wu hua rou", coz got a little fats hence tastier. If not can buy "Ba tao" - very lean. Then ask them to mince for u)

2) Chestnuts, spring onions, chinese mushrooms, prawns (diced)

3) Seasonings
Salt, Pepper, Shao Xin Jiu, Sesame oil

4) 1 egg

Mix the above tog.

Cheers
happy.gif

postpet2

Hi chatterbox,

often, when i get the skins from supermarket, they are a little yellow.
when we eat outside, some jiao zi are of a paler colour. Do you notice that? i wonder where can i get that type of skins leh..

folic

Hi postpet2,

those skin are special gyoza skin, which you can get in Japanese super market. I used to get them from Daimaru (now Meidiya) and I think cold storage (especially the one at TAKA) also carries them The packaging is white and there are red words on it.

For Jiao zi, I usually put mince pork, Chives (gu chai) and cabbage. Put some seasoning like soya sauce and some minced ginger and you are set!
happy.gif

folic

ylyl

Anyone has grilled chicken cutlet recipe? As for the side dish, how to have a healthy side dish with potato? I don't want french fries & also don't want baked potato with sour cream. Sour cream seems fattening. Any other suggestion?

qin

u can add oyster sauce, honey and black pepper to the chicken for marination. As for potatoe, u can ask chicken seasoning by the brand os masterfood. It actually looks like chilli powder tyoe.

babbit

Hi YL,
U can try other seasoning like yoghurt, ginger, garlic and seasame oil. Can use the remaining marinade and juices from the grilling to make into gravy for the cutlet. Just add some slice button mushrooms and corn starch to thicken the gravy.

As for a potato dish, u may try to make rosti, mashed potato or smashed potato. For rosti, cut raw potato into strips. Put some oil (may add some butter too) into a non stick frying pan, add enough potato strip to cover the whole pan. Use a frying slice to flatten the potato to obtain a potato pan cake. Add some salt and pepper for taste. U may add cheese, bacon, ham, onion for variety. Once brown, turn over and fry on the other side til brown.

For mashed potato, that's easy. Boil potato in their skin til soft. Remove skin and mashed them up with milk, butter and salt.

For smashed potato, get those small cute potatoes. Scrub them clean. Mix them with salt and olive oil and bake till cook. Grab a bunch of basil, chopped them up. Plus some chopped garlic. Put the cooked potato into a bowl, smashed them up coarsely with a fork tog wif the basil n garlic. Add salt n pepper to taste. Mix well.

hazel_t

Hi,
here's a kaya recipe from my mum.i did it,it's very simple but since no preservatives dun make such big amounts at one time.

Kaya (one jar )
Ingredients:
5 eggs
250g sugar
pandan leaf
500g grated coconut

Method:
1. Beat the eggs .
2. Squeeze grated coconut with muslin cloth to obtain coconut milk.
3. Boil coconut milk with low heat with 250g sugar till dissolved.
4. Leave the boiled coconut milk to cool. Then add (1) & (3) and stir.
5. Put the mixture in (4) in a pot, add pandan leaf. Keep the fire small eg medium to low and keep stirring constantly till it becomes more solid like the kaya we see in the supermarket.
6. Throw away the pandan leaf. That’s it!

folic

Hi Hazal,

does you kaya turn out lumpy? Whenever I make kaya, regardless of recipe, it somehow turns lumpy and almost like custard.. not like "jam" which you can spread on the bread. I always wonder wat went wrong. Is it because I stir too much? Hope you can give some pointers.

folic

eeing

Hi gals,

CNY is coming...anyone has CNY goodies recipe to share. You know those small spring roll that inside wrap with pork floss or (Hey Bee Hiam) one....Anyone got this recipe to share.

Thks in advance

ylyl

Babbit

what kind of yoghurt do you mean? The yoghurts in market seems to be flavoured . how will the cutlet taste?

serene2001

hi hazel

is 500g grated coconut equivalent to 1 coconut? cos usually when we buy fr mkt, we will order by 1/2 or 1 coconut. so need to know how to order it. thanks!

babbit

YL,
Use plain yoghurt drink will do. The yoghurt will help to tenderise the meat and give it a fuller flavour. Don't worry, the taste of the yoghurt is very mild.

hazel_t

Hi folic,
your kaya turn out lumpy because u cook too long.

Hi Serene,
500g grated coconut is abt 1 coconut. However i think they sell by grams too.

Hi YeeYee,
ur mini spring rolls only need to buy pork floss and spring roll skin. We always buy those big square pieces from ntuc and cut into 4. Remember that spring roll skin get hard easily so must put those u are not using under a moist cloth while wrapping each one.

when u are done, fried them in hot oil.

eeing

Hi Hazel,

Thank you for your reply.

The mini spring rolls seem like quiet easy to make har. I will try to make it. Anyway, have your try to make it before. Is it nice?

hazel_t

Hi YeeYee,
ya i have done it before..it's very easy but must do it fast and also cover all those u have done under a moist cloth or else very fast harden and not nice and crispy already. Fry on the same day leh.

This is one CNY cookie that we finish up very fast.

folic

Hi Hazel,

thanks.. I will try again... but it liked turn lumpy very very fast.. I was worried whether it was cooked. Maybe the fire is too strong. I will try again!

Folic

eeing

Hi Hazel, how do you cover all those u have do under a moist cloth? Is it just use a moist cloth and cover above the spring roll?

lilacz

Hi Babbit, can i check with you, what is the proportion of milk, salt and butter to use for making mashed potatoes?

And for Rosti, since we do not have to boil the potatoes first, does it take very long to make it?I love potatoes, but its so difficult to handle it cuz it takes a long time to become soft.

Thanks for your advice in advance!
happy.gif

babbit

lilacz,
For marsh potato, around 1 cube of butter for 1 potato. The amt of milk to use depends on the consistency u want. the more u add, the softer the mash potato. Add a bit at a time. Salt is for taste, so sprinkle and taste.

As for rosti, if u r worried that it will not be cooked. U can boil the potatoes in the jacket 1st till half tender. Otherwise, when u cook the rosti, cook on low fire and cover the frying pan with a lid. Fry for around half n hour.

lilacz

Hi Babbit, i just tried making rosti and i failed...
sad.gif
Isit cuz i did not use cheese so the potatoes doesnt stick together?I did boil the potatoes till its softer, then fry it with butter.I keep pressing the potatoes into the pan, but it doesnt work.

For mash potatoes, do i add milk to the potatoes after i mash it?

folic

HI,

does anyone know where I can buy red sweet Hoisin sauce? I am trying out some recipe and it states that it should be red sweet hoisin sauce but i only see one type of hoisin sauce...

any help is appreciated!

folic

lilacz

I have tried the pineapple tart recipe given in the archive, the crust is very nice!JUst want to confirm if im using canned pineapple instead of fresh pineapple, how many cans of which size shd i use?I did not follow the recipe for the pineapple filling cuz i duno how much to use.By the way, just a tip.I used the mixer to grind the crushed pineapple for a few secs and it reduced the pineapple cooking time by half and the texture of the pineapple is very smooth.Worth trying!Do not grind too long if not will become juice!Happy baking!

lilacz

Hi Babbit,can check with you, for the grilled chicken cutlet,do i need to add salt of soya sauce at all?Cuz the yoghurt itself is plain, wont add much taste to the meat right.

folic

Hi Hippie,

Ingredients

2 tbsp fermented black bean paste, coarsely chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 cilipadi, finely chopped

1 to 2 tbsp oil

Seasoning:

1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

1 tbsp oil

A few drops dark soy sauce

1 tsp sesame oil

Dash of pepper

1 tbsp cornflour
Method
Marinate pork ribs with seasoning for at least an hour.

Heat oil in a wok, fry black beans, garlic and chilli until fragrant. Dish out and set aside.

Combine stir-fried black bean and garlic mixture with the marinated pork ribs.

Divide pork ribs into equal portions and place into small serving plates. Steam for 20 to 25 minutes then serve immediately.

hippie

hi folic,
tks for d recipe...
happy.gif

jus like 2 chk wif u: i oredi hav the minced bean paste, can i use tis instead? or do i hav to strictly use d one in d recipe?

cher

hi okeanosmao,

thanks for giving me the website!

I bought those ready-mix pack from supermkt & try to bake using the microwave convection oven, but failed. Maybe the time & temp is diff from a normal oven.

R u using a microwave convection also?

okeanosmao

cher,

i'm using tefal conventional oven.
i din buy the ready-mix pack. i jus start frm cremaing the butter n sugar lor as wat the recipes stated.
wat abt u?

eeing

Hi yvonnemn, thank you so much for your information. So kind of you to even attach the picture for me to view...thks so much

folic

HI Hippie,

I think the minced bean paste is slightly different from the black bean one.. the taste will not be the same as the dim sum restaurant cos most will use the black bean paste instead.
folic

hippie

hi folic,
i tried using the minced bean paste but its turned out to be like satay spareribs..keke...but nevertheless it turned out to be edible & quite ok..

ok, i wil try to find the black bean paste instead...thks 4 d info!
happy.gif

bookworm

rcently i bought a ariston oven. wondering anyone can share with me recipes that i can use using this type of oven for baking and grilling

eeing

Seraphim, oh ya har, this is a good idea. I never think of that before. But which website to go that I can check or shall I just type in the name of the spices & herbs in yahoo search engine?

rabbitlover

Hi YeeYee, u can go mkt n buy coriander leaves.. the hokkien name is call "wan3 sui1", then think the chinese name is call "yan2 sui1"..