Cooking Recipes as promised

leeds

Hi winnie,

Thanks for your mail. Sorry but i dont think i can make it for the gathering on 19 May. But will confirm nearer the date.
happy.gif

pooh_ger

Hi leeds,
tks for showing interest, at least u gave us some hope it shows dat dis thread is still alive...anyway we will confirm 3days b4 the gathering date.....if majority can't make it i'll discuss wif kelly again to fix another date so can get to c everybody.....^----^

keruri

hi winnie,
today's a little busy at work. but i still got check email.
happy.gif
nope, no response to the coming gathering.
sad.gif

tks, leeds, for ur reply!

chatterbox

Hi all,

I love to cook and bake too.... But not a expert yet. Still learning..... Hope to join in yr gathering....... I'm very happy to c to this thread is alive, as I used to follow this thread closely...

Winnie/Keruri - maybe u like to update me on yr gathering thru PM or drop me a mail [email protected] coz recently quite busy to catch out this site... Thanks
happy.gif

sparks - I owned a Sharp 2-in-1 microwave oven. Yes, u can use metal/glassware if baking/grilling, but no metal in microwave mode... Only those metal tray that comes with the oven can be used in microwave mode. Hope that helps.

soko

Hi all

Does anyone know how to make good popiah? you know, those DIY type of popiah? always wanted to learn to make a good one to entertain guests. btw, where can i get the popiah skin for rolling?

pooh_ger

Kelly
kiss.gif
Got respond liao shirsweetiepie & chatterbox is joining us! so happy
proud.gif
.... Wow on gathering day so very fun 1 can talk talk
talker.gif
exchange pointers &
new.gif
recipe...hehe Den i must do home work go & search for more
new.gif
recipe.... Btw dis gathering is not only on cooking tips will be discussing on things to do on customary too for those who hav not gone thru customary like myself need lotsa lotsa advice......

Hi tobebride,
Do u oso wanna join in the fun wif us?

Ladies interested to go can email or PM kelly or me to exchange for contact nos.
Kelly:- [email protected]
Winnie:- [email protected]

pooh_ger

Hi Soko,
Let me go & chk c i still have the popiah recipe & as well as popiah skin recipe den i email it to u!!! Alternatively popiah skin can be bought from wet market but must preorder.

keruri

hi chatterbox,
we'll email u nearer to date to update u on the gathering.
happy.gif

hi tobebride, u r most welcome!
happy.gif

hi soko, if u wanna get good popiah skin, u can go to this shop in eunos to get it. let me go search for the address and let u know. they r famous for their popiah skins.
happy.gif

pooh_ger

Kelly,
Dunno wats wrong wif yahoo mail dis few days, simply can't log in liao after logged in the morning....haiz
angry.gif
guess we got to keep in touch via forum again.

folic

Hi,

here is a recipe for PoPiah:

Filling:

2 carrots, shredded

300g yam bean (mangkuang), shredded

100g French beans, sliced finely

100g cabbage, shredded

50g small prawns, shelled

50g shallots, sliced finely and fried till crispy

2 tbsp oil

1 tsp chopped garlic

Seasoning:

Salt to taste

Sugar to taste

To make filling: Heat oil and fry garlic till fragrant. Add prawns and all shredded and sliced vegetables. Cook till vegetables turn soft. Add seasoning and cook till gravy is almost dry. Remove cooked vegetables and strain to separate gravy stock.

If you are adventurous and want to make your own skin
happy.gif
.. here is the recipe:

Ingredients

600g flour, sifted

1 tsp salt

200–250ml water
Method
Put sifted flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add in enough water to make a stiff and pliable dough. Knead until smooth and slap the dough until elastic. Leave aside to rest for 2–4 hours covered with a damp tea towel

Heat a heavy cast iron griddle or non-stick pan over a moderately low heat. Take a handful or a lump of the dough in one hand and press and rub it quickly yet lightly in a circular motion onto the griddle or pan to make a thin paper-like sheet. Always cover the popiah skins with a damp tea towel until required. Repeat until all the dough is used up. (It takes constant practice to achieve the right technique of making the popiah skin.)

For the sauce, we usually use sweet sauce, chilli sauce (just pound about 10-15 chilli), minced garlic and corriander leave.

enjoy!

folic

keruri

u're welcome, soko!

hi folic, is this hokkien popiah? i just saw one of our MP's wife cook it on a CNA program last weekend. what strike me was french bean. cos i've never eaten one with french bean before. i think she added tao kuah (bean curd) and luk cheong (chinese sausage) too. can we add those to your recipe too?
wink.gif

keruri

gd morning fellow cooking experts,
i wanna bake a white chocolate cake this weekend but dunno how to decorate it. i already have some white chocolate bits that i can use. is that enuff? any other suggestions? thanks in advance!
happy.gif

folic

Hi Keruri,

Yes, this is Hokkien Popiah recipe. You can also add tao kuah, but be careful not too add too much cos I find that if you cook too long, it will make your filling very watery. What you can do is to cut into small slices and then fry it till a little brown before adding it to the rest of the veg. For Lup cheong, we usually slice in small slices and add separately. I find that if we add lup cheong, the whole pot of vegetable becomse a little sweet, and I don't really like that. If you prefer, you can also fry the lup cheong slices a little bit.. more fragrant
happy.gif
For the french bean, must slice very thinly. I think it is added to give a little more colour to the filling
happy.gif

folic

folic

Hi Winnie, thanks for the invitation. I am a very shy person, so I prefer to chat online
happy.gif
You gals enjoy yourself!
happy.gif

folic

pooh_ger

Hi Starfruit,
Yes there is gathering going on 19.06.04, we are planning to go for hi-tea...U most welcome to join.....Will confirm again when the date is nearer....
bounce.gif

verre

Hi Winnie,

Thanks for sending me the recipes and invitation. Can't join you gals..cos me still in overseas that time. Would love to join you all next time.
happy.gif

rabbitlover

Hi keruri,
it might be too late for my suggestion (think u probably finished ur white chocolate cake liao =p ), to decode the cake, if u wan, u can go phoon huat buy those white coating chocolate, melt it in double boil, then get some strawberry or cherry and coat it then put on top of the cake. (Note: the fruit must be dry b4 u coat with chocolate, else it wont stick). else if u find coating too troublesome, u can jus slice the strawberry into half n deco, also very nice, can add kiwi slice too.. =)

winnie, paisei, haven got the time to digest n try ur recipes yet =p .

keruri

hi winnie,
i've been busying making cakes this weekend, no time to try any of your recipes yet. how was ur weekend? how's studying?

hi lyn,
thanks! i just finished my white chocolate cake liao. i bot white chocolate couverture from phoon huat. are u talking about those? anyway, i used that to make ganache for the filling of the cake. and guess what? i used whipped cream to decorate my cake. it's so difficult to decorate the cake with the whipped cream.
sad.gif
think i'll have to go for some cake decorating course liao. anyone interested?

pooh_ger

Hi kelly,
weekends ok loh...went for a birthday party on sat & a ROM wedding reception on sun...So how's was the taste of ur white chocolate cake? (muz be very yummy yummy)So happy tml holiday again...hehe

rabbitlover

hi keruri,
there is 2 type of chocolate, couverture n coating chocolate, if u ask the staff, they will tell u which r which. both can be use for coating. from wat i noe is tat couverture taste better but more difficult to handle, if the temperature of the melted chocolate is not right, it might not set nicely.
As for whipped cream, ya, agreed is difficult to decorate, must beat the cream to right texture, cannot overbeat, else very rough n hard to coat. cannot underbeat too, else very watery. so need alot of practice..
happy.gif

keruri

hi winnie,
my white chocolate cake tastes ok, sweet & creamy. it def needs more work in the looks dept. hee... guess i still need lots of practice in cake making.

keruri

hi lyn,
ya, couverture is quite difficult to handle. it can get burnt easily and it solidifies rather quickly too. sometimes i dunno whether the recipe require the couverture in liquid form or solid form. so i reheat the melted couverture. i think it will curdle if it's not melted properly too, right?
hmm.. i didn't know the whipped cream cannot overbeat. guess i'm lucky, i always get it in the right stage. :p u got any tips on cake decoration?

rabbitlover

hi keruri,
don really have tips on cake deco. but since u like chocolate, u can try use melted couverture to pipe on baking paper, then when it cold, u can "peel" it off n deco on the cake. i saw those colored (yellow n pink) chocolate in phoon huat, u might wan to buy them for ur chocolate piping.. if not u can also buy those color powder n mix in the white couverture to obtain the color. then if u like nice pattern (for eg cartoon character), u can try print out those pattern u like then place below the baking paper, then follow the pattern to pipe. then after piping, u can store them in the fridge n use it for other days.
as for whipped cream piping, really need alot of practice.. for practicing, don need really need a real cake, u can use a grad wrap n wrap over a chopping board or use the baking tin by over turn then try piping on them. can buy those cheaper whipping cream from phoon huat to practice lor.. then since is for practicing, u can scrap away n reuse the cream.. then after finished, jus tear away the grad wrap, so don need to do so many washing..
happy.gif

keruri

hi winnie,
i think holiday mood lah so forum a bit quiet.
happy.gif
i'm sure more pple will be back next week. anyway, i'm quite tied down by work these days. i didn't hear from u yesterday. were u on leave?
happy.gif
i'm attending one of my jie meis' wedding tomorrow. so tomorrow will be fun.

keruri

thanks lyn! so that's how they come up with those chocolate patterns for decoration. u've offered me lots of great cake decorating ideas already.
happy.gif
i'd be eager to practise all the tips offered if i'm not so busy this weekend.

just wondering too, how come the sponge cake that i bake always shrink in size???
sad.gif
then after i put it in the fridge/freezer, it becomes compressed. looks more like a normal cake rather than sponge cake. where did i go wrong? any advice?

keruri

Winnie, our gathering on jun19 falls on the Father's Day weekend. do u think those high tea in hotels will have any surcharge? wanna stick to high tea or just tea at some cafe?

pooh_ger

Kelly,

If there is any surcharge den we go for tea at any cafe....any idea which cafe for tea or which hotel for hi-tea?

pooh_ger

Kelly,
If there is surcharge den we go for tea at any cafe.....Maybe we confirm our meeting place on 16 jun den c those who is joining us any suggestion loh.. ok?

Any 1 any suggestion where to go for tea or hi-tea?

Hi brambles,
I tried sending you the recipe but the mails keep bouncing back to me...likely is dat ur mail box is not big enuff 2 receives the recipes....The recipes files are very very huge....