Carlton Hotel

sereneli

hi sailormoonwt,

have sent you the link. Experience, one word, EXCELLENT! kekeke, my wedding was about 1 year ago. In fact, tomorrow is my 1st year anniversary, so my comments about Carlton was posted last June/July 2005
happy.gif

Extracted one post here :

The food is good as it's from Wah Lok Restaurant, which is an award winning restaurant. When I invited my friends/colleagues, all mentioned that the food from Wah Lok will be something to look forward to. And they were not disappointed.

As for planner, maybe you want to contact my co-ordinator, Kelvin Khoo. He's really a nice chap and really helped us all the way till the moment that we checked out of the hotel. FYI, he's the catering manager with Carlton.

As for services, they are quite good for the co-ordinators, though email replies are rather slow...about 1 to 2 working days....and the service of the banquet staff is alright, but fantastic for the banquet manager and his assistant. The trio (Kelvin, banquet mgr, assistant) helped my hubby alot when they knew he was drunk and also when we checked out, they actually were there to send us off, help us load our luggage instead of getting the bellhop etc.

Overall experience with Carlton is EXCELLENT!

sailormoonwt

hey serene...i saw yr wedding photos le` ... u look very blissful in yr "KUA" ... infact, i must say tat u & yr hb got the "fu qi xiang" ooh~~ :p

tks for sharing with me yr photos...i noe photos are kind of personal so i reali appreciate for those who share with me...
happy.gif

perhaps i will call up for an appt with Carlton hotel & take a look at their ballroom...
their package on the internet looks very comprehensive...
mmm~~ wat makes u sign up for Carlton Hotel ne`? their wedding planner service & personal touch or its the ballroom?

sereneli

Hi Sailormoonwt,

Thanks for your compliments. Maybe they said the longer you are with your bf/hubby, the more you will look alike....I have been with him for 7 years before we got married :p

Yeah, I don't mind sharing my photos if people asked but please do not circulate them cos like what you said, it's personal
happy.gif

Yeah, go and visit them, to have a feel of what it's like. When you call them, can ask when is the next wedding, so that you can see the actual setup etc.

What makes me sign up with Carlton...hmmm...
1) Location
2) Ambience
3) Co-ordinator's service
4) Price
5) Comprehensive package
6) Nice area for reception overlooking the lobby etc

I guess that's more of the important points!
happy.gif

jaclyn

Hi Serene,

Mi tink the same too!yesterday juz went dwn carlton to confirm.I tink after 2nd visit shd have no regrets..but one thing is the flora centerpiece for the other tables like not v nice..Do u tink tat is impt?Yesterday wat i saw is only a bowl of water w a small candle in it n a few flower petals put inside tats all.like not v romantic?

jaclyn

Hi Serene,

Mi tink the same too!yesterday juz went dwn carlton to confirm.I tink after 2nd visit shd have no regrets..but one thing is the flora centerpiece for the other tables like not v nice..Do u tink tat is impt?Yesterday wat i saw is only a bowl of water w a small candle in it n a few flower petals put inside tats all.like not v romantic?

jaclyn

Chibi,

I dun tink i can choose from Jazz Bridal..Nvm i will arrange another day to choose again my EG..Shd be able to find a suitable one for me at French..U book the hotel when u taking ur invitation cards?mi taking tis thur!Plus which invitation card u chose?

sereneli

Hi Jaclyn,
Heehee I am sure you won't have regrets but beautiful memories
happy.gif

I don't think the centre piece is that important for the other tables cos they should be taken away once the banquet starts....I only know the VIP one is not taken away
happy.gif

sailormoonwt

wow Serene...u & yr hb "ai qing chang pao ah" ... 7 yrs together ... & yr theory sounds very cute wor...hehehe... didnt noe of tat! i go back must see my hb oso...whether we both hv fu qi lian mah!
kao_wink.gif

tks for yr advices...point taken & i nvr tink of the calling them to check out when is the next wedding so tat i can see the actual set-up.. *tks lady*

Serene...did u break even or make a profit/loss frm the wedding banquet? jus a rough answer will do ... i m trying to work on my costs... looking ard for hotels with approx $780+++ (not beyond $800 bah) ...

sereneli

hi sailormoonwt,

haha, next year can celebrate 10th year anniversary liao lor....

I made about $4K from my banquet and my price was based on $668 nett per table..... I think make or breakeven or loss will depends on your guests lah....can't really control on that.
happy.gif

sailormoonwt

hi serene...glad to hear tat u make abt $4K...can use for honey moon expenses...hehehe...

yah, i noe wat u mean.... i guess i have to stick to my budget and work on accordingly... tks for the tip!
happy.gif

sereneli

hi sailormoonwt,

heehee didn't really spend on a good HM cos hubby had to go to Europe for work for 3 weeks not long after AD....so we went on a short trip to Perth..
happy.gif

chibi

Yo, have been missed the forum for a few days, so many postings flying in, keke...

Hi Jaclyn,

I think most probably I will collect my invitation card in Aug... Have u already booked the appt for your next round selection? Feel that it's better that you make the appt earlier, since this year is a hot year for wedding
happy.gif

chibi

Hi Serene,

You are so gd luck that you can made 4K from the banquet. Btw, did you face any headache of ppl flying kite by not attending yr dinner last minute? How u deal with it?? Usually how much will yr guest give you for the ang pao?

sereneli

Hi Chibi,

Yeah, I had almost 1 table of different people who can't come so I tried to re-arrange my tables so that I can save on 1.

I have a total of 35 tables actually, but I told Carlton, 34 + 2 reserves. So in the end I only had 34 tables as I managed to squeeze all the empty seats into 1 table. Hence my 35th table which is supposed to be the reserved table was not open and hence no charge for it. Maybe you gals can work it this way too, just in case some can't make it last minute etc....

My ang pao huh....range from $30 to $1K (But the $1K one is extreme and from relative lah) hehe

elchwong

Hi all,

Is there any room for bargaining if I only have 10-12 tables and will most prob be taking the cheapest package? Any1 wif similar experience to share?

I have a difficult time looking for venues as I have a budget of nt more then $600 nett per table and I only have nt more than 12 tables...haiz...

jaclyn

Hi elchwong

If u r taking the cheapest package and so few tables v difficult to bargain..do u prefer hotels or restaurants?

elchwong

Hi jaclyn,

Hotel or restaurants doesn't matter as long as it's presentable...went to Carlton jus nw....fh n i like wat we c...we peeped into Esplanade Rm n c it's indeed small n cosy...will most prob consider it if we dun c any others tat we like...went to HIPV, GPPR...still prefer Carlton for its accesibility n raves bout food...

Hw much does a barrel of beer cost? Hw much deposit do we've to place?

sailormoonwt

hi serene: so u must hv enj yr honeymoon alot!! was it a free & easy trip to Perth?

wah~~ yr ang bow reali on two extreme ends ah... yr $1K ang pow frm yr relative must hv dote u alot since young ah.. Ü
then the $30 one got write name outside ang pow long one or not? :p

dfish

Hi all,

I’m new here. Just like to share something. Realised that the perks are different for the different categories (weekdays, Fri/Sat and Sun) and the perks get better when you upgrade. Your bargaining power depends on how many tables you have. Work out the total sum and compare with the next higher category rate x the min requirement of tables. If your total sum is higher, you may be able to bargain for the perks of the next higher category.

sereneli

Hi Sailormoonwt,

Yeah, enjoyed cos it was a good break and we actually drove around there ourselves...so it's a kind of holiday that both my hubby and I enjoyed.

Yeah...the relative is a close aunt lah
happy.gif
....the $30 got write name....keke

starlight_17

Hi ladies,

I'm thinking of signing up with Carlton for my Sunday lunch banquet. I have about 25 tables and will be using the Empress ballroom. Unfortunately, we are not able to view the ballroom with the actual decor and setting for a banquet (there is actually a wedding banquet this weekend but we will be out of town, and the tentaive booking can only hold for 1 week).

Can anyone provide some feedback on the Oriental theme decor? I only know its something like maroon colour from the photo shown to us. Is it nice and classy? And what is the overall ambience of the ballroom?

jaclyn

Hi elchwong..

I m oso holding my dinner at the esplanade rm.There r alot of things we quite like abt carlton.The only thing i dun like is they v neow,v little room of negotiation..Have u try Hotel Rendezvous or Crown hotel?how many ppl u can stretch to invite?

chibi

Hi Serene,
May I know what is the theme you choose for your ballroom?

Hi Starlight,
How much is your lunch banquet? Is it the same with dinner?

chibi

Hi Serene,

Where did you get the petal for your march in? Is it provided by Carlton? Is there any dry ice provided for the 1st march in?

Is the procedure of your banquet is:-
(1) 1st March-in
(2) Cut cake
(3) 2nd March-in
(4) Yam Sing session

Haha, me start gang cheong liao, keke

starlight_17

Hi Serene,

Can you send me the link as well?
[email protected]

Hi Chibi,

Lunch is cheaper, below $600 per table. But of couse the menu and perks are not as good as dinner. So we might be topping up to change some of the items.

jaclyn

elchwong..

The coordinator told me they r charging us $650+++ for 30litre barrel of beer..duno is it the same for others?

sereneli

Hi Chibi,

I got my petals from a friend's florist shop. They are located at Capital Tower. Let me know if you need the contacts.

Dry ice is provided for the first march in
happy.gif

Procedure is :
1) 1st March in / Cut cake
2) 1st Dish
3) Change at either after 1st or 2nd dish
4) 2nd march in / champagne pouring THEN yam sing session

Gan cheong?? no worries lah....post your queries here and we can help you along!

chibi

Hi Serene,

What are you using for your March in (1st & 2nd) & 1st dish music? U choose yourself or Carlton will provide?

Ladies,
What do you gals think if I use Jazz music (Bosa Nova) for the march in, is it ok?

bladers

I find it very strange, I called to enquire about 20 tables at Carlton and they told me they don't entertain 20 tables as ballrooms only fit 13-16 tables, or 28-38 tables. So I asked so how if we have 20 tables...they lady told me I had to pay for 28 tables even tho I have only 20 tables.

How true is that...?

chibi

Hi bladers,

You r right...
This is the bad point abt Carlton, always a grey area for the no. of tables.... :-(

Or how abt you can try out on their weekday package, as weekday min. no. of table for Empress room is 23.

bladers

chibi,

I can't do weekend bcos of my guestlist, many are from Msia and quite inconvenient after work for them... *sigh*.

Dunno why carlton so inflexible..

chibi

Hi bladers,

Oic...
Btw, did you confirmed with Carlton (placed deposit) already?

Besides Carlton, what is your ideal hotel choice?

sereneli

Hi Chibi,

I used Kevin Kern Sundial Dreams for 1st March in, Elvis Can't help falling in love for 2nd March in, Kolibre by Maksim for 1st dish and I finally found someone for champagne pouring.

My hubby chose the songs
happy.gif
If I am not wrong, Carlton have some good down tempo jazz pieces...heard it when I went to visit them last time
happy.gif

jaclyn

Hi serene,

Usu how many mths b4 AD u print invitation cards?My AD in Oct,when shd be the rite time to print n got 2 printing company rite which one u choose?

sereneli

Hi Jaclyn,

Actually you can collect the cards from Carlton and send for printing already...so that you have more time to write and organise. I used Jasvy
happy.gif

tge25

Hi Serene, you used Jasvy ah? Is the printing ok?

Me also will be sending for printing soon.

I had already collected the cards. My AD in Oct mah...so left ard 3 months to print... ;)